2018-2019 Hackensack-Meridian School of Medicine at Seton Hall

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I encourage you to submit the application. Don't be left wondering "what if" at the end of the cycle because there was a mishap with the secondary.

If your cycle goes similarly to how mine went, you will encounter several frustrations with admissions staff. Sending a check will be minor.

Yeah I understand where your coming from, but what I've learned about that "what if" feeling is that it can also just as easily lead you to a place that your gut told you not to go. However, I've become slightly neurotic going through this application process and might end up submitting anyway...

Members don't see this ad.

You guys think its too late to submit secondary here? This is my last secondary and ive been a little slacking on it. I finished most of it should be able to turn it in by tomorrow. Is it still worth it tho?

anyone who submitted their secondary app fee through money order get a confirmation of receipt?

Members don't see this ad :)
This school requires a letter from an MD or healthcare professional. I actually dont have one. Do you guys think I should still apply? I only have 3 Science LORs and 1 PI LOR

Reactions: 1 user
I did about 2 weeks after I sent it

may be i should give them a call tomorrow just to make sure they got it.

This school requires a letter from an MD or healthcare professional. I actually dont have one. Do you guys think I should still apply? I only have 3 Science LORs and 1 PI LOR

I sent them a LOR from my supervisor (a Spanish medical interpreter), should satisfy the healthcare professional requisite, but not a 100% sure.

may be i should give them a call tomorrow just to make sure they got it.

I sent them a LOR from my supervisor (a Spanish medical interpreter), should satisfy the healthcare professional requisite, but not a 100% sure.

My PI a has a PhD but technically hes a professor at UCLA DGSOM, idk if this counts..

Would they accept a DO letter instead of MD? Thats all I have currently

I didn’t know they required Dr. LOR. Thanks to the bunch of you, I updated and sent the MD LOR that I hadn’t sent in :)

Would they accept a DO letter instead of MD? Thats all I have currently

I would suggest calling the office! I called yesterday and for some reason they won't accept a letter from an RN and mentioned someone as an MD to signoff. Although, I didn't specifically ask about a DO signing it.

I'm just confused why an RN didn't qualify as a health professional but I'll call again tomorrow since that should count as one.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would suggest calling the office! I called yesterday and for some reason they won't accept a letter from an RN and mentioned someone as an MD to signoff. Although, I didn't specifically ask about a DO signing it.

I'm just confused why an RN didn't qualify as a health professional but I'll call again tomorrow since that should count as one.

An RN would definitely qualify as a healthcare provider...it says so on their website, on the requirements page: "At least one from a health care professional (does not need to be a physician - can be a nurse, social worker, physician’s assistant, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc.)"

An RN would definitely qualify as a healthcare provider...it says so on their website, on the requirements page: "At least one from a health care professional (does not need to be a physician - can be a nurse, social worker, physician’s assistant, occupational therapist, psychologist, etc.)"

I agree! I'll contact them again because that really threw me off

So the deadline on the portal says the 16th and the email says it may take a week to process. How does this factor in with the check? If I mail it and it arrives after this date does that mean I will not be considered? I hate that they are doing this. I tried calling but it goes to voicemail and I emailed them, but no response.

So the deadline on the portal says the 16th and the email says it may take a week to process. How does this factor in with the check? If I mail it and it arrives after this date does that mean I will not be considered? I hate that they are doing this. I tried calling but it goes to voicemail and I emailed them, but no response.
Wait there’s a deadline?

I think that deadline is for the prereqs and photo upload on the first portal they sent out. That's how I understood the email anyway.
"This email is to remind you that you have until 9/16/18 left to select your prerequisites and upload your picture on the applicant gateway for your secondary application. You will not be able to submit those two items after this date."

I think that deadline is for the prereqs and photo upload on the first portal they sent out. That's how I understood the email anyway.
"This email is to remind you that you have until 9/16/18 left to select your prerequisites and upload your picture on the applicant gateway for your secondary application. You will not be able to submit those two items after this date."

I didn't receive an email. I was referring to the portal "Your file will remain incomplete until we receive the payment, you have completed your secondary application and have uploaded a picture of yourself in the other sections. You will have 30 days to complete these steps." So it states steps and it mentions the payment? I was not sure if they are referring to that being a step and therefore needs to be completed in 30 days.

Just checked my email. Did anyone else get 2 prelim review emails? I got the first after submitting my secondary which says "We have received your secondary application. If you haven't already done so, please be sure to submit your prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway as well. Your application will now be in preliminary review."

Then I got another which says "We have received your secondary application, fee, and disclosure form. Your application will now be in preliminary review. We will send you another email when the remaining parts of your application are reviewed and you have moved to the next step of the process or if we are missing any items from your application. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process.''

I'm guessing this means your app will be in prelim review as soon as your secondary is in

Just checked my email. Did anyone else get 2 prelim review emails? I got the first after submitting my secondary which says "We have received your secondary application. If you haven't already done so, please be sure to submit your prerequisites and photo through the applicant gateway as well. Your application will now be in preliminary review."

Then I got another which says "We have received your secondary application, fee, and disclosure form. Your application will now be in preliminary review. We will send you another email when the remaining parts of your application are reviewed and you have moved to the next step of the process or if we are missing any items from your application. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process.''

I'm guessing this means your app will be in prelim review as soon as your secondary is in

I hope so. I have only received the first email because I have yet to send in the check.

When did you get the second email...I’ve only gotten the first one and I submitted everything already :/

When did you get the second email...I’ve only gotten the first one and I submitted everything already :/
4 days after the first one/submitting my secondary.

I still haven't gotten anything after that and it's been almost 3 weeks since I've submitted everything

How long did it take to get the first email? I haven't gotten anything after submitting my secondary last week.

4 days after the first one/submitting my secondary.

I still haven't gotten anything after that and it's been almost 3 weeks since I've submitted everything

hmmm...it's been over 3 weeks since I submitted everything too. I tried calling, but no one is picking up.

How long did it take to get the first email? I haven't gotten anything after submitting my secondary last week.

I submitted on 8/20 and got the email 3 days later.

hmmm...it's been over 3 weeks since I submitted everything too. I tried calling, but no one is picking up.
email might be your best bet. I don't think they have a reliable admissions phone yet

email might be your best bet. I don't think they have a reliable admissions phone yet

got a reply that all my documents are in....and that once I'm under review, I'll be getting an email updating the status of my application.

Last edited:
got an email reply that all my documents are in....and that once I'm under review, I'll be getting an email updating the status of my application.
Wait so you’re past the prelim stage?

Wait so you’re past the prelim stage?

I honestly don't know, could be interpreted either way...but I don't think so. Probably (most likely) still in the preliminary stage, because she said once the app is under review, so it sounds like it hasn't yet. My email was answered quickly (in 5 minutes actually), I could reply and ask if you want?

I honestly don't know, could be interpreted either way...but I don't think so. Probably (most likely) still in the preliminary stage, because she said once the app is under review, so it sounds like it hasn't yet. My email was answered quickly (in 5 minutes actually), I could reply and ask if you want?
That would be great! I just wanna know what the next stage is after prelim, when that’ll happen, and if everyone makes it to that stage

it has to be submitting by tomorrow, right? anyone know if that means by tonight at 11:59 or can I submit tomorrow?

I got an email on 8/22 saying that my app had been received and I was in "preliminary review". Just got another one saying, again, I am in prelim review but this time it says to allow "2-4 weeks" for the process. Guess this one is just going to be a bit of a process lol, oh well.

Submitted secondary on 9/7
Mailed payment on 9/11
Marked complete 9/18

What did your complete email say?

"We have received your secondary application, fee, and disclosure form. Your application will now be in preliminary review. We will send you another email when the remaining parts of your application are reviewed and you have moved to the next step of the process or if we are missing any items from your application. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process."

"We have received your secondary application, fee, and disclosure form. Your application will now be in preliminary review. We will send you another email when the remaining parts of your application are reviewed and you have moved to the next step of the process or if we are missing any items from your application. Please allow 2-3 weeks for this process."
Oh wait. That's a complete email? JK I got one too a long time ago then. I thought a complete email was when you make it to committee review

Received “Prelim. Review Complete” email today. It said I am now under review to determine if I will be selected for interview.

Received “Prelim. Review Complete” email today. It said I am now under review to determine if I will be selected for interview.
Yay! The light at the end of the tunnel exists!

Stats/complete date?

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully this phase moves quickly! LM 72.5, OOS, received “In Prelim. Review” email on 8/28
I was complete then too. Here’s to hoping apps are looked at in submission order lol

Received the prelim review email on 8/28
"Preliminary Review Complete" email today 9/19

So having sent in everything 8/29, and not getting any pre-lim review, I decided to check in with admission today. My mailed check was never received which was holding my application. So much for "we will send you another email if we are missing any items from your application."

It has been 3 weeks since I got the preliminary review email from the 28th. Should I email then and check up on the missing items then?

It has been 3 weeks since I got the preliminary review email from the 28th. Should I email then and check up on the missing items then?

I think once you get the prelim review email all the materials have been checked off. That's based on me not getting it due to a single item missing.

Actually I got an email today saying I had a missing item (a pre-req) which I actually did have so I emailed them back to clarify and they emailed back right away and corrected the issue and then a few minutes later I got the preliminary review complete email. So they do let you know via email if any items are missing.

For the following question:

Please share personal experiences that have motivated your decision to enter health care, as well as short- and long-term goals.

Isn't this basically asking us to re-state whats already in our personal statements? Assuming most of us discuss "why medicine" in our PS. Not sure how I can get creative with this.