2018-2019 Harvard Medical School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Quick question, to those who have scheduled their IIs, did you receive an email confirmation?

Also, do any of you know what interview type means? Next to my scheduled date, there is an "interview type" with letters under it. Any idea what that is?

No email confirmation, but if you log back into the portal it still says the correct date of course.

If you applied MD and the letters on the portal say NP, it means they are only considering you for a degree in Nurse Practitioning......
jokes my friends. Chillaxxxx

Members don't see this ad.

No email confirmation, but if you log back into the portal it still says the correct date of course.

If you applied MD and the letters on the portal say NP, it means they are only considering you for a degree in Nurse Practitioning......
jokes my friends. Chillaxxxx
Haha I was actually terrified for a sec as I read this

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Omg congrats!!! This gives me hope !!! Ive a similar LizzyM would you mind sharing your MCAT/ GPA?
Just FYI, once you know the MCAT score & LizzyM, you can calculate the GPA (or vice versa, of course). LizzyM is just (GPA x 10) + Pre-2015 MCAT. Convert the MCAT2015 scores to the old version's (but use the un-updated percentiles, not the ones that were just released this May, which I think bumped every score down by one percentile?)

II a couple of minutes ago for Pathways! FREAKING OUT. OOS, LM 67. Never thought my stats would be good enough
I have the same LM so Imma need you to spill some deets about outside stuff (like if you had amazing ECs) so I can judge if I should throw my app in here. I would literally DIE if I got an II here.

Reactions: 1 users
Just an FYI questions like "are you URM" as if to qualify someone as being worthy of an interview at HMS can be perceived as a bit abrasive. I know everyone is excited/anxious but please keep it courteous.

Reactions: 17 users
I have the same LM so Imma need you to spill some deets about outside stuff (like if you had amazing ECs) so I can judge if I should throw my app in here. I would literally DIE if I got an II here.
Woah congrats!! Would you mind sharing your gpa/ mcat ?

Just an FYI questions like "are you URM" as if to qualify someone as being worthy of an interview at HMS can be perceived as a bit abrasive. I know everyone is excited/anxious but please keep it courteous.
Ya. I’m sure part of it has to do with Harvards affirmative action case that’s going on

II a couple of minutes ago for Pathways! FREAKING OUT. OOS, LM 67. Never thought my stats would be good enough
Omg congrats !!!! I’ve similar stats. Would you mind sharing more of your stats / ECs on a DM?

They can surely be perceived this way, but I think that they asked in a pretty courteous way. When asking about URM the implication isn't that they don't have a HMS worthy app rather it's just an objective observation about the interview invitation timeline/process.

The reason I'm saying is many people with Harvard worthy apps + complete early see a bunch of IIs and feel like they are passed up, when in actuality applications are simply processed/invited for interview in a particular order. It's commonly known that schools prioritize URMs, Ivy/feeder schools, and ultra high stats. I think it's just a little disingenuous to pretend like it has no influence namsayin.

tl;dr Sharing info about URM status just calms some nuerotuc applicants lol, that's the only reason it's ever asked.

Edit: just wanted to add I'm not suggesting everyone should share, just appreciate those who do. I understand that people are always worried bout doxxing themselves

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Thank you for sharing your opinion on my question, and I apologize if you perceived any abrasiveness from it. I promise I wasn't trying to qualify or justify URM's acceptance to Harvard Medical School- I'm sure they have extremely stellar metrics that blow everyone else out of the water and possess all of the qualities crucial to being a physician.

They can surely be perceived this way, but I think that they asked in a pretty courteous way. When asking about URM the implication isn't that they don't have a HMS worthy app rather it's just an objective observation about the interview invitation timeline/process.

The reason I'm saying is many people with Harvard worthy apps + complete early see a bunch of IIs and feel like they are passed up, when in actuality applications are simply processed/invited for interview in a particular order. It's commonly known that schools prioritize URMs, Ivy/feeder schools, and ultra high stats. I think it's just a little disingenuous to pretend like it has no influence namsayin.

tl;dr Sharing info about URM status just calms some nuerotuc applicants lol, that's the only reason it's ever asked.

Edit: just wanted to add I'm not suggesting everyone should share, just appreciate those who do. I understand that people are always worried bout doxxing themselves

Hit the nail on the head! I have heard of medical schools reviewing and providing a little bit of a "boost" (I'm hesitant to call it a boost since some may take offense to it, and I just cannot find a better word to describe it) to URM's, but never really witnessed it happen until applying to medical school this year. I was just trying to confirm the fact that URM's are a priority to many schools and that they are greatly sought after, which I completely understand since patients of color are comfortable with and prefer physicians of their own color. I believe that equal ethnic/racial representation in healthcare is the foremost importance in medicine and should be taken seriously when planning the classes of future physicians. Medical schools should follow this practice forever so that patients never learn the insignificance of the physician's skin color when providing medical service. Sure, sharing a culture with the physician may be significant to feeling comfortable, but I think it would be much more ideal if we live in a society where the patient population is comfortable with physicians no matter what.

LOL yes but how often do you see someone ask "Are you from an Ivy/feeder school?" as compared to "Are you URM?". I don't think that's the only reason it's ever asked.

Also, how is it commonly known that schools prioritize URMs, Ivy/feeders, etc. when reviewing for interviews? I know of several elite undergrads that don't even upload their committee letters until August, making it virtually impossible for these students to get early interviews. As for URMs getting early interviews, what kind of sample size are you going off of? A few posts in an online forum that likely represents < 1% of the entire applicant pool? It shocks me sometimes how many premeds post long-winded paragraphs describing the ins and outs of the applicant evaluation process like they know some kind of insider information. To be honest, it's likely that most pre-meds will never know the intricacies of each individual school's timeline, evaluation, schedule, preferences etc., especially considering you will only matriculate to one school and your only other information is speculation and anecdotes from online forums. Instead of purveying the idea that there are hard and fast rules of the application process, I think we need to calm the neuroticism by letting the process happen on its own.

Many Ivy/feeder school kids get a "boost" when all of their metrics and quality of application are on par with the respective medical school's average matriculant. Many URM's get a "boost" even when their metrics and quality of application are below the school's average matriculant. I do think that a URM with metrics and quality of application on par with the school's average will receive a so called "mega-boost."

Reactions: 6 users
Not assuming malicious intent, just saying to be aware of what people do and don't choose to share up front.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you for sharing your opinion on my question, and I apologize if you perceived any abrasiveness from it. I promise I wasn't trying to qualify or justify URM's acceptance to Harvard Medical School- I'm sure they have extremely stellar metrics that blow everyone else out of the water and possess all of the qualities crucial to being a physician.

Hit the nail on the head! I have heard of medical schools reviewing and providing a little bit of a "boost" (I'm hesitant to call it a boost since some may take offense to it, and I just cannot find a better word to describe it) to URM's, but never really witnessed it happen until applying to medical school this year. I was just trying to confirm the fact that URM's are a priority to many schools and that they are greatly sought after, which I completely understand since patients of color are comfortable with and prefer physicians of their own color. I believe that equal ethnic/racial representation in healthcare is the foremost importance in medicine and should be taken seriously when planning the classes of future physicians. Medical schools should follow this practice forever so that patients never learn the insignificance of the physician's skin color when providing medical service. Sure, sharing a culture with the physician may be significant to feeling comfortable, but I think it would be much more ideal if we live in a society where the patient population is comfortable with physicians no matter what.

Many Ivy/feeder school kids get a "boost" when all of their metrics and quality of application are on par with the respective medical school's average matriculant. Many URM's get a "boost" even when their metrics and quality of application are below the school's average matriculant. I do think that a URM with metrics and quality of application on par with the school's average will receive a so called "mega-boost."
Why don't you just come out and say it...

Let’s not derail this thread too much. I’m happy to discuss why people don’t share their URM status freely on these boards over PM.

That said, I will tell you that there is no way to really gain any useful information from knowing another applicants stats or complete date. I know it’s almost like a reflex to ask whenever any kind of decision is made, but honestly none of those metrics can really inform you about YOUR application at the school. Only the school’s decision can do that. So just be patient and keep watching the thread to know when decisions are coming out.

An MD/PhD program director said this over on the PS board but I really liked it: Med school admissions is like a Seurat painting; up close it doesn’t make any sense, but if you step back it really starts to come together. Similarly, trying to figure out how chances or admissions dynamics work on a single school basis is utterly futile, but predicting average performance (will you get in or nah) based on metrics is trivial in most cases if you have enough info about the applicant.

Reactions: 16 users
II for both HST and Pathways!!!!! Complete 7/19, now fully melting down

Reactions: 12 users
Any early-August submissions that have received interview invites?

II for both HST and Pathways!!!!! Complete 7/19, now fully melting down

Congratulations!

Do you mind vaguely noting whether your technical background is in pure/applied mathematics, physics, software engineering, systems engineering, or big data in reference to HST?

Are you URM? If you don't mind me asking.
Yes I am, and I see that has caused some debate on here but I am aware of talk about URM getting a boost but I also did have really great extracurriculars, clinical experience, research experience, global health experience, award recognitions, leadership positions, and more. My GPA took a hit my first semester but I showed an upward trend through college and mentioned that in my application and secondaries. I do have an interesting story also, and I am willing to share with anyone on DM about any more details on my application. Trust me, I was surprised to have gotten this II and have told myself many times that it is not only because I am an URM but because I stood out as an applicant, and I hope that the rest of us on here can agree! We're all going through the same thing here and I've been rejected from some other schools who have been said to take in URM a lot, so I guess every school is just looking for something different in an applicant? If anyone wants more details on my app feel free to email me! :)

Reactions: 9 users
APPLY! You literally never know. I almost didn't apply here because I thought it would be a waste of money! All you need is someone to see your app and see more in your than just your LM

I'm a URM and have already talked a bit about how that has affected my pursuit of medicine in my PS and primary app. Has anyone in a similar situation just left Q2 on their secondary blank? Don't want to be too redundant.

APPLY! You literally never know. I almost didn't apply here because I thought it would be a waste of money! All you need is someone to see your app and see more in your than just your LM
Ugh fam dont do this to me. My bank account is so dry rn. Im not a URM but have a decently compelling story of being LGBT and have service in the community (and also aligns with my mission). I also have a decent upward trend so I may apply and see what happens.

Ugh fam dont do this to me. My bank account is so dry rn. Im not a URM but have a decently compelling story of being LGBT and have service in the community (and also aligns with my mission). I also have a decent upward trend so I may apply and see what happens.
I talked about being LGBT in mine too! I'd say apply just in case :)

II just now!! OOS, LM 78 :) incredibly excited, hope to see you guys there

II here too!! SO HAPPY, and still in shock lol! Complete 7/18 and OOS

Reactions: 3 users
Is anyone here interviewing next week? Just wondering if you've received the email with "more information" that they mentioned would be sent.

Has anyone had success with trying to email them for different (later) dates? I am going to be drowning in Sept/Oct trying to balance interviews with work and would like to try to ask for a late Oct/early Nov date but don't want to come across as uninterested...

anyone hear anything back form them with complete date 8/13 or later?

II for pathways and HST!!!!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 5 users
Just got an II for Pathways. First of the season! Here's to hoping there'll be more to come. LM 73.2

Reactions: 3 users
II for hst and pathways!!! So excited! LM 75, complete early August

Has anyone had success with trying to email them for different (later) dates? I am going to be drowning in Sept/Oct trying to balance interviews with work and would like to try to ask for a late Oct/early Nov date but don't want to come across as uninterested...
I emailed asking for a later date around then as well. They were very helpful and accomodating!

Reject HST, II for Pathways!!!! So excited!!