2018-2019 Howard University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, right now I don’t have anything even in queue as far as transcripts go. I haven’t started on much of application at all. I was originally going to wait until early next year to apply, but was going back and forth with what I wanted to do.
I think the deadline to turn in your primaries has passed. Sorry. Try by late may/ early June next year.

Members don't see this ad.

hey fellow HUCM applicants - I submitted my secondary about a month ago (mid-Nov). I emailed the school twice, without replies. Would it be too pushy to start calling the admissions office now, or just wait til after the holidays? I'm just not sure how fast they process secondaries....anyone who heard back or even got accepted know how long it took between submission and interview invite?

Members don't see this ad :)
hey fellow HUCM applicants - I submitted my secondary about a month ago (mid-Nov). I emailed the school twice, without replies. Would it be too pushy to start calling the admissions office now, or just wait til after the holidays? I'm just not sure how fast they process secondaries....anyone who heard back or even got accepted know how long it took between submission and interview invite?
relax, I submitted a month before you and haven't heard back.

I submitted in September and haven’t heard back either. I think it’s not really a good look to email them about your status, comes off pushy and entitled (in my opinion). If you received the email that stated “This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and your file is currently under review” then all you have to do is wait.

Reactions: 1 user
I submitted in September and haven’t heard back either. I think it’s not really a good look to email them about your status, comes off pushy and entitled (in my opinion). If you received the email that stated “This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and your file is currently under review” then all you have to do is wait.

Yeah, I def agree with you. I had a friend apply over the summer, she got an interview invite for early Sept, and got accepted 3 weeks later. She told me she kept emailing admissions (once after the primary and again after the secondary). Not sure, but it may or may not have contributed. She said the school had issues seeing when secondaries were submitted, but you're right, I got that same email and assumed it meant "don't call us, we'll call you" type of thing. Thanks for your reply! Reassuring to know its ok to just wait it out :)

Accepted!!! :soexcited: For what it's worth, I was encouraged by a faculty mentor who is a HUCOM alum to reach out to admissions throughout the cycle. I ended up emailing and calling a few times both before and after my interview. Now did this play a role in the outcome? I can't say for certain.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted!!! :soexcited: For what it's worth, I was encouraged by a faculty mentor who is a HUCOM alum to reach out to admissions throughout the cycle. I ended up emailing and calling a few times both before and after my interview. Now did this play a role in the outcome? I can't say for certain.
What did you reach out and say?

Yeah, I def agree with you. I had a friend apply over the summer, she got an interview invite for early Sept, and got accepted 3 weeks later. She told me she kept emailing admissions (once after the primary and again after the secondary). Not sure, but it may or may not have contributed. She said the school had issues seeing when secondaries were submitted, but you're right, I got that same email and assumed it meant "don't call us, we'll call you" type of thing. Thanks for your reply! Reassuring to know its ok to just wait it out :)
Considering this, would it even be okay to ask if they received a secondary or not?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys, sorry if this has been asked already but does anyone know if Howard accepts updates at all? And if so, how can I send one?

Thank you so much in advance!!

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone attended the First Friday tours? If so, do you think it is worth attending if you're OOS? (from Michigan)

Has anyone attended the First Friday tours? If so, do you think it is worth attending if you're OOS? (from Michigan)

I have and it’s very informative. You get a feel of the campus, staff, and students. I really enjoyed it and have been twice but I m local so it was convenient for me to go. I honestly think it’s up to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering this, would it even be okay to ask if they received a secondary or not?

She got a secondary and returned it within 2 weeks. Her father went to HUCM tho....not sure if that helped speed up her process?

When you emailed, did you actually get a reply? I've emailed twice sans response >_<

Someone just told me that Howard is almost done sending out IIs. I'm skeptical...

Can anyone who has interviewed speak?

Someone just told me that Howard is almost done sending out IIs. I'm skeptical...

I have not interviewed yet, but I do believe they interview until April.

Reactions: 2 users

Wow that was fast!! I always thought howard is one of the only schools that sends ||s until the very end aka April so idk what happened this year! This also made the holidays sadder

For those of you already accepted, when is the deadline for y’all to submit your deposit to secure your seat? I’m trying to gauge when they start moving people off the waitlist

Anyone know why I'm not able to access the secondary app? Going to their website just gives me a "server took too long to process request"

Anyone know why I'm not able to access the secondary app? Going to their website just gives me a "server took too long to process request"

Same here! I tried calling them yesterday but no one answered.

This happened to me. I would try using every different browser possible... safari, chrome, Firefox, whatever else... it was def a tech issue.

For those of you already accepted, when is the deadline for y’all to submit your deposit to secure your seat? I’m trying to gauge when they start moving people off the waitlist

They gave me 3 weeks after the acceptance date of November 30th, which was pretty much a week ago so

Y'all hear about the accreditation loss potential?
The fight to save Howard University College of Medicine

I'm an HU alumni and local to the DMV area so I've been paying attention to this heavily. DC board also has concerns about the new hospital building built and given the deal the city is making with GW, HUH and the med school were afraid staff and students would not have privileges. One of the DC members proposed a proposal requiring the use of HU students and doctors and the proposal passed as they recognized how important HU med school is not only to the DC area but to the nation in producing black doctors.

Reactions: 5 users
I'm an HU alumni and local to the DMV area so I've been paying attention to this heavily. DC board also has concerns about the new hospital building built and given the deal the city is making with GW, HUH and the med school were afraid staff and students would not have privileges. One of the DC members proposed a proposal requiring the use of HU students and doctors and the proposal passed as they recognized how important HU med school is not only to the DC area but to the nation in producing black doctors.
Unsettling that this was even a thought. :meh::unsure::mad:

What is the deal the city is making with GW?

Sent from my SM-G960U using SDN mobile

Submitted secondaries November 21st. Still waiting for II. Anybody else waiting?

Submitted secondaries November 21st. Still waiting for II. Anybody else waiting?
I am waiting since early-mid October which is VERY late to apply as some people from August are still waiting. I don't want to sound negative, but unfortunately at this point chances are pretty slim at any school especially if you applied late.

I am waiting since early-mid October which is VERY late to apply as some people from August are still waiting. I don't want to sound negative, but unfortunately at this point chances are pretty slim at any school especially if you applied late.
+1 on Mid-October

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?

Do they reject pre interview or wait until the end of cycle?
Last year I applied in June/July and didn’t get rejected until the June right before classes started so I’m assuming it’ll be the end of the cycle basically

II! Any insight on how the interview day is like? Would love to get some advice!!

Reactions: 6 users
How bad would it be if I called Howard the school of medicine by accident instead of college of medicine when responding to my II?? Oh god....