2018-2019 Howard University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Haha, yeah you are according to their standards. Yes, you are waiting for seats to open up, but how they pick from the waitlist is not entirely clear. Hoping for the best though. Low GPA but good Post Bacc GPA (>40 credits), MCAT 507-510

Late Jan
Keep faith! Also did it specify what type of alternate list? Like on last year’s thread they mentioned both a “regular” and “strong” waitlist so I’m not sure what’s the difference

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Keep faith! Also did it specify what type of alternate list? Like on last year’s thread they mentioned both a “regular” and “strong” waitlist so I’m not sure what’s the difference
Thank you! I will. Actually no it just says alternate wait list and that I’ll be given priority to fill seats as they become available

Submitted in November and still under review.. though it does say "Interview Not Scheduled"

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi!
For those of you who haven’t heard back from Howard, did you already fill out fafsa or any other financial aid forms? Or will you wait until you hear back?
Thanks!

Did anyone here take the January mcat? I just got my score back and it increased by 9 points.

Does Howard consider late MCAT scores?

Reactions: 3 users
Did anyone here take the January mcat? I just got my score back and it increased by 9 points.

Does Howard consider late MCAT scores?

I’m in the same boat. I called yesterday and the lady said they get notified of the score automatically. But I’m not sure if they take it into consideration. I didn’t think to ask that :/

I’m in the same boat. I called yesterday and the lady said they get notified of the score automatically. But I’m not sure if they take it into consideration. I didn’t think to ask that :/
I’m pretty sure that Howard considers January mcat scores. However, there was a section on the secondary which asked if you plan on taking it in January, so if you didn’t input that you planned to, I would perhaps try and send a written to accompany the scores?

Accepted today! Interviewed first week of January.

Reactions: 15 users
I was accepted but I haven’t taken Casper yet. Does anyone if I still have to? I called, I’m waiting for them to call back

I was accepted but I haven’t taken Casper yet. Does anyone if I still have to? I called, I’m waiting for them to call back
I doubt you will since you already got the acceptance tbh! I submitted my test results before I even got my interview invite. Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing interview advice/stats?

Members don't see this ad :)
I doubt you will since you already got the acceptance tbh! I submitted my test results before I even got my interview invite. Congrats on the acceptance! Do you mind sharing interview advice/stats?
Interview advice: this one is difficult just be yourself, be calm. They didn’t ask anything too absurd. If you’ve had other one-on-one interviews then this will feel similar

Stats: GPA below a 3.5 MCAT 507-510 Masters GPA 3.9, 3,000+ hours in research and clinical experience

Congrats! Can you give us some interview advice and share your stats if you don’t mind?

Advice: Be calm & be yourself. It’s just like any other one on one interview. Look on SDN for commonly asked interview questions.

GPA 3.57 MCAT 507

How are you notified if you get accepted? Via email or through mail?

has anyone actually received a straight up rejection?

Reactions: 1 users
Based on last cycle’s thread, I think there will be another wave of II invites starting Monday March 4th. Have faith everyone!

Reactions: 8 users
So how are you people getting this information? Cause someone said that Howard is out of spots but then someone said they got accepted after that. I'm high key stressed. How did you guys figure this out? Cause the admissions office isn't answering my calls. (So sorry if I sound angry, I'm not. Just hella anxious! LOL)

Reactions: 1 users
So how are you people getting this information? Cause someone said that Howard is out of spots but then someone said they got accepted after that. I'm high key stressed. How did you guys figure this out? Cause the admissions office isn't answering my calls. (So sorry if I sound angry, I'm not. Just hella anxious! LOL)
Have you interviewed?

They said during the interview that they’ve essentially filled the class already. However, as is customary, a number of individuals eventually choose another program and thus they’re interviewing and accepting more people as others drop out.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! That’s a good thing right? Doesn’t alternative list mean that you’re accepted according to their standards but they’re waiting for seats to open up? Also what were your stats/extracurricular/degree(s) if you don’t mind sharing

Alternative list is the same as the waitlist, so it's not an acceptance. It means they could still choose to accept you at some point.

Based on last cycle’s thread, I think there will be another wave of II invites starting Monday March 4th. Have faith everyone!
I hope so but this is what they said at the Virtual Fair last week:" it is pretty late in the interview season. Chances are slimmer by the day! Pretty much, if you dont hear anything by the end of this month, it may be safe to say you didnt make the cut."

I hope so but this is what they said at the Virtual Fair last week:" it is pretty late in the interview season. Chances are slimmer by the day! Pretty much, if you dont hear anything by the end of this month, it may be safe to say you didnt make the cut."
Dang. Harsh but likely true :(

FML. I guess I just need to accept it. Thanks for the reply though.

It isn’t over until they officially reject you! Keep hope guys! She did say during the interview that she had more apps to get through.

Reactions: 2 users
It isn’t over until they officially reject you! Keep hope guys! She did say during the interview that she had more apps to get through.
I'm so glad to hear this. When did you interview? Was it after the Virtual Fair? because I got the info from that event.

I called them today and they said they are still offering a handful of interviews. Not many though. Hopefully we are all part of that handful. Sending luck and positivity to all of you that are still waiting.

Reactions: 9 users
I called them today and they said they are still offering a handful of interviews. Not many though. Hopefully we are all part of that handful. Sending luck and positivity to all of you that are still waiting.

Did they say when they plan to send out those interview invites by chance?

That's reassuring!! Thankss for the Luck!!

Did they say when they plan to send out those interview invites by chance?
No, unfortunately they didn't say when. She said like they were waiting for more people to decline acceptance before they send out more invitations. Have you guys sent in letters of interest/update? I'm planning on sending one. Idk if it will help though.

Does anyone know if there’s a specific day those of us who interviews should hear back?