2018-2019 Howard University College of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is standard premed cut-throat mentality..

Savagery.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 13 users
This is standard premed cut-throat mentality..

Savagery.

I know and I get that but that comment was the exact opposite of the vibe I got when I visited. I spoke extensively to students in addition to the scheduled panels and they all share notes, anki flashcard/put each other on... and I'm assuming the majority of the ppl on this thread are URMs/mostly Black. Why not help your own flourish? We are literally underrepresented in the medical field so why make it even harder than it already is for ppl that look like you/share similar struggles?

I hope Howard weeds out ppl like this during interviews.

Rant over. Be blessed everyone!

P.S. I took extensive notes/contact info at First Fridays. Happy to share with anyone so feel free to PM me.

Reactions: 15 users
I know and I get that but that comment was the exact opposite of the vibe I got when I visited. I spoke extensively to students in addition to the scheduled panels and they all share notes, anki flashcard/put each other on... and I'm assuming the majority of the ppl on this thread are URMs/mostly Black. Why not help your own flourish? We are literally underrepresented in the medical field so why make it even harder than it already is for ppl that look like you/share similar struggles?

P.S. I took extensive notes/contact info at First Fridays. Happy to share with anyone so feel free to PM me.
I second this thought as a Nigerian American

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No I will not give you the answers to the test that I had to study for! But I will wish you luck and I hope we both get accepted.

Wasteman ting. Mandem be crazy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
hella rude. I went to visit howard on 9/7 for first fridays and I got the sense that they were super supportive and helped each other. You're clearly not a good fit. wish you the best tho

I am just doing what the admissions people said. They told us explicitly not to give answers. One should not be attacked for following instructions lol.

I apologize if I came off the wrong way. I should not have said anything. I want the best for us all. I truly was just doing what I was told.

I apologize if I came off the wrong way. I should not have said anything. I want the best for us all. I truly was just doing what I was told.
Its ok lol SDN Interviews has everything you need for the people that need interview info/questions.

Lol oh dear, yeah if you have nothing nice to say best to not say anything at all. But Thank you for all the positive comments! Finally checking back in...and I found some insight on SDN so I’m all good. Hoping the best for everyone

I agree with you.

Reactions: 1 user
I just always wondered why premeds were savage to begin with. Everyone claims they wanna “help people” until it’s actually time to help ppl. Smh folks will stab you right in your back with a smile in this field. Smh but listen I pray to god every day and if something is meant for me, god gone make a way ain’t no need to rob or steal or even kick the next man down to get ahead cause that just means you forced some **** to come your way that wasn’t yours to begin with. This ain’t no sneak dissin to whoever that person was above cause that honestly ain’t my business but as an observer it’s just food for thought for everyone especially if u a minority fam. It’s room for everyone to eat at the table at all times future docs!

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
This same cut-throat competitive crap will continue even in med school, pretty much how it is in any graduate school...whats for you is for you....But I went to open house earlier this year as well and alot of the faculty and students are very welcoming and personable, wanting to help

Tip:

Please allow plenty of time for your interview DC traffic is terrible in the mornings.

Reactions: 4 users
Tip:

Please allow plenty of time for your interview DC traffic is terrible in the mornings.
Definitely!!! I would encourage taking the metro if possible . Red line often has delays , so allow for that , but at least no traffic . I’ve been in DC for 10 years , it takes some strategizing :))))

Hey everyone, just had a quick question. Are you eligible for an interview invite before taking Casper? I didn't know Howard required it based on msar and their secondary email, but I just noticed it on their admissions page. I can take it, but I'm wondering if it's worth it even since they won't get it for another month and the cycle will be pretty far along at that point.

Hey everyone, just had a quick question. Are you eligible for an interview invite before taking Casper? I didn't know Howard required it based on msar and their secondary email, but I just noticed it on their admissions page. I can take it, but I'm wondering if it's worth it even since they won't get it for another month and the cycle will be pretty far along at that point.
Thats crazy I just noticed this wwwwwwoooooooooowwwwwww!

But to your question: They did not say that explicitly but I will either DM the student with invites or email/call howard

Wait what?? Howard requires CASPer? This hasn't been mentioned in any communication from them and I guess I didn't read the website closely enough. I took it already so I'll just add them but damn. How did I miss this

Wait what?? Howard requires CASPer? This hasn't been mentioned in any communication from them and I guess I didn't read the website closely enough. I took it already so I'll just add them but damn. How did I miss this
Ugh, they 100% added this recently (and apparently didn’t feel like telling us...). Howard wasn’t even available on the Casper list a month ago.

I had no idea Howard required CASP
Ugh, they 100% added this recently (and apparently didn’t feel like telling us...). Howard wasn’t even available on the Casper list a month ago.
Exactly! I hope it doesn’t apply to this cycle.

I love Howard too much for them to be playing like this :arghh:

So I did call admissions earlier. I think this must be a newer policy, because the person on the phone wasn't exactly sure either. She advised me to take it, but she told me they hadn't been using it this cycle. I'm not exactly sure, but if someone else can call and see what the consensus is, I would appreciate it!

Wait does Howard now require Casper? I’ve been marked complete since early September....they didn’t even send an announcement.
IMG_3183.jpg

Wait does Howard now require Casper? I’ve been marked complete since early September....they didn’t even send an announcement. View attachment 240113

Bruh. This definitely wasn't on their website last month. But I already got a complete email saying that my application is under review, so does it apply to this cycle?

Last edited:
Bruh. This definitely wasn't on their website last month. But I already got a complete email saying that my application is under review, so does it apply to this cycle?

I emailed them last night so I’ll update y’all once I get a response. But luckily I already completed the Casper test so I’ll send anyway. I just wish they announced this lol

I took the September 16th CASPer and Howard wasn't on there -____-

are you serious!? Did they just change their requirements this far in the application cycle.

Idk Howard this is acceptable. Howard did I end up finding out about this on sdn too? smh

I received an II earlier this month and I didn't send CASPer to them, it probably doesn't apply to this cycle

I received an II earlier this month and I didn't send CASPer to them, it probably doesn't apply to this cycle
Thanks for the info! I was freaking out for a second.

Hi everyone I just called and clarified the Casper issue. So they only require Casper from applicants that have interviewed

Hi everyone I just called and clarified the Casper issue. So they only require Casper from applicants that have interviewed

Oh yikes I sent mine already lol well hopefully that’ll put positive vibes into the universe

Anyone still not receive a secondary? (I’m verified and i already emailed them).

Anyone still not receive a secondary? (I’m verified and i already emailed them).
So I called two days ago and the rep told me to call every 2 to 3 days because they have a glitch in their system. She specifically said '' the system has not generated new secondary invite to applicants verified recently.. I was verified on September 15 by the way.. I don't exactly when this glitch started..

I called as well, they are aware of the issue since multiple people have not gotten secondary app

Just got the email that my file is complete and under review but my updated MCAT score isn’t in yet.... so basically my app will be put on hold once reviewed until my score comes in right??? Or will it not be reviewed until the new score comes in??

Anyone else still waiting on a secondary?

Still waiting on their secondary ...and this CASPer thing. :(

I'm sure yours is coming. I got one on Saturday of all days lol. I was late in the game submitting and getting verified.

Just got the email that my file is complete and under review but my updated MCAT score isn’t in yet.... so basically my app will be put on hold once reviewed until my score comes in right??? Or will it not be reviewed until the new score comes in??

I want to say most schools wait until everything is submitted/processed before they review your app to see if you will get an interview. But I guess we never really know if they wait or not.

Got my secondary on Saturday, they interview til March or April, so might be awhile before some of us hear about an interview

Hey when did you submit your secondary? Does anyone know how long Howard usually takes to review applications?

Is anyone planning on attending this upcoming first friday? 10/05?

Thank you, did you status change at all? I just have a green check next to App Complete.

I’m not sure. Have you given them a call or have u checked your spam mail? All my checks were green except for the interview.