2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
MD:

If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (100 words)

What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it? (250 words)

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively on a team was challenging. What did you do? What did you learn? (200 words)

MD/PhD:

• Please describe an influential experience that motivated your decision to become a physician-scientist.
    • What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it?
    • Please tell us about a time when an experiment didn't go as planned or yielded an unexpected result. How did you approach this challenge and what did you learn?
    • What are your career goals? Which characteristics of the MD/PhD Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai do you believe will help you to achieve them?
All are 200 words

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Secondary received, one essay has changed.

If you are currently not a full time student, please briefly describe the activities you are participating in this academic year. (100 words)

What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it? (250 words)

Please tell us about a situation in which working collaboratively on a team was challenging. What did you do? What did you learn? (200 words)

Good luck to everyone applying!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
For MD/PhD:

1. Please describe an influential experience that motivated your decision to become a physician-scientist.
  2. What is the toughest feedback you ever received? How did you handle it and what did you learn from it?
  3. Please tell us about a time when an experiment didn't go as planned or yielded an unexpected result. How did you approach this challenge and what did you learn?
  4. What are your career goals? Which characteristics of the MD/PhD Program at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai do you believe will help you to achieve them?

All are 200 words

Secondary Received this morning!! Good luck all

If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (100 words)

Does anyone else's file say that letters of recommendation have not been submitted?

It's like Michigan and Sinai both knew everyone was going to prewrite their passion essays...

Reactions: 6 users
For any of the other MD/PhD applicants, did you guys basically answer this question in the primary? "Please describe an influential experience that motivated your decision to become a physician-scientist."

I sort of answered this in the MD/PhD essay and am a little worried about repeating it.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
When I look at the welcome page, it says my LORs have been received but when I go to the Document Status page, it says that no Letters of Rec have been submitted. Anyone else having this problem?

Is anyone else struggling with the feedback prompt? I can think of times I've received tough feedback, but toughest is hard to think of...
I feel like it's all relative lol as long as you can think about something that was challenging to hear it should be fine. I'm likely going to pick something that happened within the last year and I remember feeling devastated to hear the feedback but it probably wasn't the toughest feedback I've gotten in my entire life

Do y'all think it would be shallow to write about getting a D on my first paper in college? It certainly bursted the bubble I was in entering college. There may be a instance or two were I received tougher feedback, but those things feel a little too personal to write about.

Do y'all think it would be shallow to write about getting a D on my first paper in college? It certainly bursted the bubble I was in entering college. There may be a instance or two were I received tougher feedback, but those things feel a little too personal to write about.
From what I've seen most adcoms advise against talking about grades/class for challenges/failure prompts and I think this prompt falls into that category. It's just very cliche and makes you seem like an academic robot who lacks experience outside of school. So avoid it if possible but if your only other options are too personal to talk about then it's acceptable, just try to focus on things you learned other than just school if you can (ie. The whole bursting your bubble about college and how you improved other areas of your life from it)

Is anyone else struggling with the feedback prompt? I can think of times I've received tough feedback, but toughest is hard to think of...
From what I understand, the event itself is not particularly important to schools. What they want to hear about is how you dealt with it and how you resolved it.

For the feedback prompt, would this make sense? I want to talk about how I got injured during my senior year of high school and then how I received news that I would not be able to play my last season for a sport in which i was a captain of the team.

Feel like I'm stretching the meaning of "feedback" here

For the feedback prompt, would this make sense? I want to talk about how I got injured during my senior year of high school and then how I received news that I would not be able to play my last season for a sport in which i was a captain of the team.

Feel like I'm stretching the meaning of "feedback" here
I don’t really thinks that fits here. It’s more of a failure prompt, with a focus on the feedback and growth from it. There’s no error/failure with the injury. I feel that your answer would fit better in a challenge/adversity prompt.

Is the application super glitchy for y'all? I can't get my essays to save and I can't edit them on the secondary page without having half of it disappear.

Is the application super glitchy for y'all? I can't get my essays to save and I can't edit them on the secondary page without having half of it disappear.
I've had no problems with Chrome.

Whatever you're using, have you thought about switching to a different browser?

I've had no problems with Chrome.

Whatever you're using, have you thought about switching to a different browser?

Thanks, I switched to chrome. It was still odd with the word count's not refreshing and all but I think I can manage!

Just submitted!

That happened to me too. I noticed that the Mt. Sinai system counted any hyphenated words as 2 words whereas my word document counted it as 1 and I reached the max so it would only copy half of my essay. Maybe check for any of those?

Edit: question answered

Last edited:
Sorry all, another question! For the optional essay, I usually include my diversity essay. However, this one seems to be rather specific to your identity which I have extensively covered in my PS, and all my ECs because it is has played a key role in my desire to be a physician. So I'm not sure if I should leave this blank since it says only use it "if not addressed elsewhere in your application." Or should I include something but maybe go into more detail or reword what I've already talked about.

Sorry all, another question! For the optional essay, I usually include my diversity essay. However, this one seems to be rather specific to your identity which I have extensively covered in my PS, and all my ECs because it is has played a key role in my desire to be a physician. So I'm not sure if I should leave this blank since it says only use it "if not addressed elsewhere in your application." Or should I include something but maybe go into more detail or reword what I've already talked about.

I think that if you said it, you said it. No use in wasting their time with the same thing in different words. Nevertheless, it's only 100 words, so if you can think of an aspect you hadn't mentioned, then go for it.

So, I'm thinking about taking my tough feedback response from a high school situation...does anyone think that it really should be from our college years only?

People tend to be very hesitant to leave optional essays blank but it's okay. Don't restate yourself. If you have something new to add then add it. Otherwise don't. Personally my diversity essay comes from experiences that are already pretty well described, not my background, so I don't put my diversity essay unless they specifically ask for it. I use "anything else you want us to know" prompts for "why us" essays, but that doesn't really fit here so I left that prompt blank

For the "collaborate teamwork" essay, I want to write about challenges I faced and overcame while working with my co-counselor at summer camp. Do you think working with one other person qualifies as "teamwork"? The situation required significant conflict resolution and personal skills to overcome.

For the "collaborate teamwork" essay, I want to write about challenges I faced and overcame while working with my co-counselor at summer camp. Do you think working with one other person qualifies as "teamwork"? The situation required significant conflict resolution and personal skills to overcome.

In my opinion, I think that is totally fine. Two people can be a team

Just realized I left a school's name in the "have you applied to any other medical schools before" question with "Since my last time applying to BUSM,". Anyone know of a way to resolve this or can I pretty much count this school out? Sucks cuz it was definitely in my top.

Just realized I left a school's name in the "have you applied to any other medical schools before" question with "Since my last time applying to BUSM,". Anyone know of a way to resolve this or can I pretty much count this school out? Sucks cuz it was definitely in my top.
Just Sent a Secondary with wrong school name

found this thread from a few years ago...general consensus was it's over

Last edited:

found this thread from a few years ago...general consensus was it's over but maybe emailing them to change could help

Honestly, I wouldn't contact them as that may draw attention to the error.

Honestly, I wouldn't contact them as that may draw attention to the error.

editing post, hope that they miss the error

That's fair. And what I assumed. I was hoping with the wording of the question, "have you applied to any other schools before" and my answer being "last time I applied to BUSM" might confuse them enough to ignore it even though I obviously applied to more schools than just BUSM lol.

found this thread from a few years ago...general consensus was it's over

I just read through this whole thread and there were a ton of mixed reviews (mostly people said it was over). But plenty of people said they made the same mistake, emailed the school, some schools let them resubmit their secondary. The OP actually got an II, so it might be worth a shot!

I'm just another applicant, so I don't know much about this. But thought I'd share

That's fair. And what I assumed. I was hoping with the wording of the question, "have you applied to any other schools before" and my answer being "last time I applied to BUSM" might confuse them enough to ignore it even though I obviously applied to more schools than just BUSM lol.
You could just say you made a significant error that you would like to change without telling them what it is. Some schools will re-open your app for you. I wouldn’t openly bring it to their attention unless you have to

When does Icahn start sending out IIs? I saw MSAR said they start in August, but haven't seen anyone post one yet

Reactions: 1 users
When does Icahn start sending out IIs? I saw MSAR said they start in August, but haven't seen anyone post one yet

I’m guessing tomorrow or thursday

Does anyone know if Sinai is receptive to In the Area emails? I thought I remember seeing one NYC school specifically asking for no ITA emails, and couldn't remember which one lol

Does anyone know if Sinai is receptive to In the Area emails? I thought I remember seeing one NYC school specifically asking for no ITA emails, and couldn't remember which one lol

They're receptive! Upload it as an update on the portal though, don't email them.

They're receptive! Upload it as an update on the portal though, don't email them.

Do they check their portal updates often? There's no need to email them to inform them they there is an update in the portal, right? That sounds a bit ridiculous as I type it...

Man I really though Sinai would pull through today

Reactions: 2 users
If I don't have a non-science LOR but already applied here would it be a bad idea to still submit my secondary? Will it still be looked at or am I just wasting my secondary app money?