2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
JUST GOT OFF THE WAITLIST!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
People getting off the waitlist- did you send updates, LOIs ( if so, how many)?

People getting off the waitlist- did you send updates, LOIs ( if so, how many)?
I got an acceptance to another school on Wednesday and so I sat down and crafted a very long, thought out LOI which explained that I liked the school but if I was accepted here I would take it without question. I sent it on Friday and I had sent a LOI before in February after my decision came back, so this was a second one that was more detailed and specific. I definitely think it helped, Sinai has said throughout the cycle that they liked frequent updates to indicate interest. I've been updating them about once a month on updates to my application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all! For those who were accepted, did you ever get a letter in the mail or was it only the one email? I moved recently and was a little late updating my info so I’m worried they sent a letter to my old address. Thanks!!

For the question: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (100 words)

If I choose to talk about religion, does it have to be in the context of adversity? My religion is a small minority in the US but it contributed to my path to medicine. but I don't believe I ever faced adversity due to my religion.

For the question: If there is an important aspect of your personal background or identity or a commitment to a particular community, not addressed elsewhere in the application, that you would like to share with the Committee, we invite you to do so here. Aspects might include, but are not limited to significant challenges in or circumstances associated with access to education, living with a disability, socioeconomic factors, immigration status, or identification with a culture, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation or gender identity. Briefly explain how such factors have influenced your motivation for a career in medicine. Completing this section is optional. (100 words)

If I choose to talk about religion, does it have to be in the context of adversity? My religion is a small minority in the US but it contributed to my path to medicine. but I don't believe I ever faced adversity due to my religion.

Sounds like you're pre-writing secondaries? Maybe want to post this in the new application cycle thread, 2019-2020 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai. This thread is full of admitted and waitlisted students who applied last year.

Reactions: 1 user
Called the admissions office to ask for any information regarding waitlist movement. Got the stone cold "movement can happen any time up until matriculation" answer two times, even after explicitly asking whether or not most WL movement has already occurred.

I was hoping for some morsel of actually useful information. It would be nice if Sinai could indicate whether or not they are anticipating any more movement. I'm guessing most of it has already occurred, but it is still frustrating.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Called the admissions office to ask for any information regarding waitlist movement. Got the stone cold "movement can happen any time up until matriculation" answer two times, even after explicitly asking whether or not most WL movement has already occurred.

I was hoping for some morsel of actually useful information. It would be nice if Sinai could indicate whether or not they are anticipating any more movement. I'm guessing most of it has already occurred, but it is still frustrating.
For what its worth, my class has 1-2 students that were admitted literally the week before orientation began. But its highly variable from year to year so naturally it wouldn't really make sense for the admissions office to be able to predict/anticipate anything. i definitely understand the frustration regardless

Their CTE deadline is July 19 IIRC so I’d say hold out until a little after then.

Last edited:
anyone who's in the accepted students group on FB have any insights for us hopefuls? Any new additions to the group posting that they got off the waitlist recently?

Some people were still joining the group on Monday. I'd say there's a small amount of movement still but obviously couldn't quantify how much overall.

To all those with success with IIs and even W or A... how important is 2nd language fluency you think? I’m hesitant to apply here because they make it sound like they really want people who can speak a 2nd language .....

To all those with success with IIs and even W or A... how important is 2nd language fluency you think? I’m hesitant to apply here because they make it sound like they really want people who can speak a 2nd language .....
I think experiences are mixed. I never got the impression that it was anymore important at Sinai. Most schools just treat it as a small bonus, especially if its spanish. For context I'm a native English speaker but acquired Spanish in college. I was never tested or asked about it or anything in my interviews. Only interview I used it for thoughout the whole cycle was UCI Prime where they specifically have one interview entirely in Spanish

Really hard to say. Being bilingual is probably a plus at many schools, but you're right that Sinai is different in that their website lists it explicitly as a desirable quality. FWIW I was accepted with LM 67. Non-trad, Army vet. Who knows *exactly* what it was they liked about my app, but I have proficiency in Arabic (acquired while in the Army), and I do wonder whether that played some part. Personally, I think the main thing they're getting at is whether you have interest in/capacity for working with diverse patient populations (central to their mission). Speaking a language other than English is one way to demonstrate this, but certainly not the only way.

TL;DR: I doubt it's THAT important. Don't let the fact that you don't meet every single bullet point prevent you from applying somewhere you're interested in!