2018-2019 Icahn School of Medicine at Mt. Sinai

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When are they going to sent out II?

Members don't see this ad :)
Finallyy....fingers crossed more come out sooon!

II also! complete 7/16

Reactions: 3 users
5 IIs in the past 30 minutes on this thread so I looked at my email only to see nothing but a twitter chat invite for NYU.

Reactions: 14 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For the "toughest feedback" essay, is it a bad idea to write about the time my premedical advisor said that I came off as tactless and abrasive, and that my interpersonal skills needed work?

For the "toughest feedback" essay, is it a bad idea to write about the time my premedical advisor said that I came off as tactless and abrasive, and that my interpersonal skills needed work?
Since that criticism speaks pretty negatively to the personal characteristics med schools specifically look for in candidates, I would be hesitant to lay all that on the table unless you can very explicitly say how you have taken this criticism to heart and worked hard to overcome those weaknesses. Do you have any (compelling) anecdotes you can throw in from after that convo with your advisor that demonstrate how you've grown to be much more tactful, less abrasive, and have developed your interpersonal skills?

In general though I would try and come up with a negative feedback example that's less diametrically opposed to the qualities of a good physician.

Since that criticism speaks pretty negatively to the personal characteristics med schools specifically look for in candidates, I would be hesitant to lay all that on the table unless you can very explicitly say how you have taken this criticism to heart and worked hard to overcome those weaknesses. Do you have any (compelling) anecdotes you can throw in from after that convo with your advisor that demonstrate how you've grown to be much more tactful, less abrasive, and have developed your interpersonal skills?

In general though I would try and come up with a negative feedback example that's less diametrically opposed to the qualities of a good physician.
I very much agree with this. Its only going to throw up red flags unless you have long term experiences speaking to how you addressed those issues AND at least one LOR speaking specifically to those qualities and/or your "transformation". Try to find something different

I have an anecdote about comforting a suicidal man as an ambulance corps volunteer, discussing his life story, hopes, and dreams. And I've volunteered in the community, working to hone my interpersonal skills and gain the qualities that good doctors must have. I don't know if that's a compelling enough anecdote; it's not like I talked him down from a ledge that he was about to jump from.

I have an anecdote about comforting a suicidal man as an ambulance corps volunteer, discussing his life story, hopes, and dreams. And I've volunteered in the community, working to hone my interpersonal skills and gain the qualities that good doctors must have. I don't know if that's a compelling enough anecdote; it's not like I talked him down from a ledge that he was about to jump from.
That story would definitely be interesting, but honestly I think it's just too risky to specifically bring attention to the fact that someone who knows what med schools look for thinks you're not it (not saying this is true at all, obvi I don't know you and you are probably a wonderful candidate! Just saying this is how an adcom reading the essay might see it).

This prompt is hard bc it asks for the "toughest" feedback you've ever received, but I think they really care more about what you've done with the feedback you describe than the actual feedback itself. Try thinking of an example that allows you to demonstrate your capacity for introspection and personal growth. Think about feedback you've received that may not necessarily be the "toughest" or "harshest" at face value, but that for some reason you really took to heart and used constructively to change your behavior.

I guess we were in the first round of II :)
Complete: 7/31
II: 8/22
LM:77

Reactions: 2 users
True, I wonder if they are blind or open file
Sinai does 2 interviews for 30 minutes each. Both with faculty or one with faculty and one with a scholar year student.

The interviews are open file with some guided questions that have been noted down beforehand. Though interviewers don’t always ask them if they don’t get to them. The interviews themselves and the day as a whole will likely be some of the most laid back, relaxed interview days you’ll have the entire season, so enjoy it!

The inteview day goes something like:

Breakfast + chill with other interviewees
Small talk with one of the deans
Interviews + current students coming to chat (and for the leftover free food)
Lunch
Tours of the school and parts of the hospital

Reactions: 4 users
Does anyone know if Sinai screens applicants chronologically, based on time of application completion? Or is it like alphabetical, or some other order?

Does anyone know if Sinai screens applicants chronologically, based on time of application completion? Or is it like alphabetical, or some other order?

I believe its stratified by horoscope, then subdivided by the feng shui of your home, and sorted by the alignment of your chakras.

Reactions: 23 users
I believe its stratified by horoscope, then subdivided by the feng shui of your home, and sorted by the alignment of your chakras.
Pretty sure they do it alphabetically by the 3rd letter of your paternal grandmothers middle name!

Reactions: 1 user
Pretty sure they do it alphabetically by the 3rd letter of your paternal grandmothers middle name!
What if my paternal grandmother's middle name is only 2 letters? Does that mean they won't ever review my application!? Should I consider myself rejected here!?!? :oops:

If your LORs very explicitly state the opposite and you have good, spinnable examples (i.e. not ones that make you look like a sociopath though) or how you were tactless and abrasive and now good examples of how you've turned it around I'd actually be pretty impressed.

There are two GPA/MCAT cutoffs. If you're below the lower bar, you don't get read at all. If you're above the higher bar, you get read chronologically. If you are between the two, you get read after all the people above the higher one. At least, that's what it seems to be.

Reactions: 1 users
Sinai does 2 interviews for 30 minutes each. Both with faculty or one with faculty and one with a scholar year student.

The interviews are open file with some guided questions that have been noted down beforehand. Though interviewers don’t always ask them if they don’t get to them. The interviews themselves and the day as a whole will likely be some of the most laid back, relaxed interview days you’ll have the entire season, so enjoy it!

The inteview day goes something like:

Breakfast + chill with other interviewees
Small talk with one of the deans
Interviews + current students coming to chat (and for the leftover free food)
Lunch
Tours of the school and parts of the hospital
MS4s do interviews too if their schedule allows.

There are two GPA/MCAT cutoffs. If you're below the lower bar, you don't get read at all. If you're above the higher bar, you get read chronologically. If you are between the two, you get read after all the people above the higher one. At least, that's what it seems to be.
Care to share what those bars are? Lol

If your LORs very explicitly state the opposite and you have good, spinnable examples (i.e. not ones that make you look like a sociopath though) or how you were tactless and abrasive and now good examples of how you've turned it around I'd actually be pretty impressed.
I mean, all I have is the time that I comforted a man who'd attempted suicide and calmed him down while volunteering on an ambulance corps. It's something, but it's not quite like I talked him down from a ledge or anything. Seems like a high-risk, high-reward strategy. I know that one of my LORs states that I am "mature and earnest", and that I help others a good deal - but is that really explicit enough?

I mean, all I have is the time that I comforted a man who'd attempted suicide and calmed him down while volunteering on an ambulance corps. It's something, but it's not quite like I talked him down from a ledge or anything. Seems like a high-risk, high-reward strategy. I know that one of my LORs states that I am "mature and earnest", and that I help others a good deal - but is that really explicit enough?
If you include the pre-med criticism, it now potentially makes me question if "earnest" is a coded spin word. The literal definition is showing intense/severe conviction. If used properly, being described as earnest says nothing about your kindness or tact with words. Think about all those reality shows/dating shows where "I'm a straight shooter/I tell it like it is/I'm incredibly honest" is just code for "I'm a total dingus."

That suicide thing is an extreme situation. The concern frankly isn't so much that you're going to be a dick to patients in their worst moments, but more that you're going to be a dick to your classmates, teachers, and other staff who will have much more face time with you than any patient. That's why an LOR from someone with face time talking about how much of a joy it is to have you around and how personable you are is critical for this to work.

EDIT: love the SDN autocorrect to "dingus"

Care to share what those bars are? Lol
Was never told them and they vary with demographics but roughly 3.0/500 seems to be the bare minimum to get read. If either GPA or MCAT is below that it's a safe bet you're getting tossed straight in the trash. If both GPA/MCAT are 3.6/520 or greater, it seems like you're getting read ASAP. Between those two is the "read later" pile. Just cuz you get read early doesn't mean you get interviewed early though, but if you fall between those two marks, I wouldn't count on a super early interview invite.

Was never told them and they vary with demographics but roughly 3.0/500 seems to be the bare minimum to get read. If either GPA or MCAT is below that it's a safe bet you're getting tossed straight in the trash. If both GPA/MCAT are 3.6/520 or greater, it seems like you're getting read ASAP. Between those two is the "read later" pile. Just cuz you get read early doesn't mean you get interviewed early though, but if you fall between those two marks, I wouldn't count on a super early interview invite.

I'm ORM with an MCAT lower than this mark (but GPA above) and got an II here in the first round but of course n=1. Thanks for the info!

Just to reinforce that last bit I'm pretty much right at/just above that second cutoff and I haven't heard squat lmao