2018-2019 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How are y'all preppin for the interview?
I think we should be ready to answer the "why DO?" and "why ICOM?" questions, but other than that I've heard the interviews are super laid back. Answering questions honestly and showing your interest in the school will go a long way.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm from California and have an interview on Sept 10! Super excited and nervous about it!

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you share stats ? You can PM me if you like
No worries. I have a 3.5 cGPA, 3.45 sGPA, 505 MCAT and I already have my bachelors and currently working on my masters in bio!

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the 3 interviews are open file or if they'll just have read my application beforehand?

Accepted yesterday! 1st acceptance; 3rd times a charm, I guess. Had an early interview to be on standby in case any students didn't show up first day. In terms of the interview, they will have read your file beforehand. Everything is very true to the interview day info on the website. Be yourself, be prepared for questions about your motivations, how you got where you are, why osteopathic medicine, etc. Know your app because they will reference/ask about it! Good luck, everybody!

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted yesterday! 1st acceptance; 3rd times a charm, I guess. Had an early interview to be on standby in case any students didn't show up first day. In terms of the interview, they will have read your file beforehand. Everything is very true to the interview day info on the website. Be yourself, be prepared for questions about your motivations, how you got where you are, why osteopathic medicine, etc. Know your app because they will reference/ask about it! Good luck, everybody!
Congrats on your acceptance!!! & thank you so much for the input, I really appreciate it!

II! Don’t know when I will go since I have 4 others... it’s getting hard to coordinate

II! Don’t know when I will go since I have 4 others... it’s getting hard to coordinate

I seriously feel this. Applied to way too many schools & now am anxious about how much class I will miss due to interviews

I seriously feel this. Applied to way too many schools & now am anxious about how much class I will miss due to interviews
Fortunately I’m not a student right now, but yeah it’s so expensive and time consuming!! I have a flexible job but even then. It’s my first time applying and I applied very broadly and to about 30 schools. Guess I could have done less but how could I have known? Nice someone can relate lol

Members don't see this ad :)

Congratulations!! If possible, do you mind letting me know around what time you got out for the day? Flight options are limited and I really don't want to have to spend money on another night and miss another day of work... Thank you!

Also wanted to share with those who haven't heard yet that I got the 2-3 weeks email 5 weeks ago so don't lose hope!

Is it worth sending the secondary in if I have no ties to Idaho whatsoever?

Anybody interviewing on November 5?

Also...anyone else concerned about pre-accreditation status? I'm still trying to learn exactly what this means and without outcomes from the university I am a bit skeptical but I like the location!

I got an interview on September 24th! Im actually kind of excited to visit. One of my best friends is from Meridian.

Ditto. 14 interviews and I’m already turning a few down. Wish they’d send them out in slower batches!

Reactions: 1 users
Anybody interviewing on November 5?

Also...anyone else concerned about pre-accreditation status? I'm still trying to learn exactly what this means and without outcomes from the university I am a bit skeptical but I like the location!
I'm worried/curious about the pre-accreditation status as well. I'd wanna ask about it at the interview but also worried that it's a bad question to ask.
I also wonder what the outcomes will be like since it's so new but from everything on their website, they seem to be really student centered and focused on helping every student do well, with all their academic resources and what not. At least I hope so.

I'm worried/curious about the pre-accreditation status as well. I'd wanna ask about it at the interview but also worried that it's a bad question to ask.
I also wonder what the outcomes will be like since it's so new but from everything on their website, they seem to be really student centered and focused on helping every student do well, with all their academic resources and what not. At least I hope so.
Yeah I mean honestly I will probably ask at the interview. It's fair to be concerned about it. I want to go to a school I am confident I can succeed at. They wouldn't get accreditation until our 3rd year it seems... so also does that mean private loans? Part of me wants to cancel the interview if I get accepted elsewhere

Hey guys. First time posting.

So I got an II for this school (congrats to everyone else w/ theirs as well) and I have a silly question.

We fly into Meridian, Idaho? Is that what it is? I am very ignorant of the northern states and such. Help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Hey guys. First time posting.

So I got an II for this school (congrats to everyone else w/ theirs as well) and I have a silly question.

We fly into Meridian, Idaho? Is that what it is? I am very ignorant of the northern states and such. Help is appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

Kinda. Meridian is a suburb of Boise. You’ll fly into Boise and it’s roughly a 20 min drive or so to where the school is.

T-1 week till my first med school interview...very excited as an Idaho resident to be interviewing here. Anyone else have the 8/27 interview date?

Yeah I mean honestly I will probably ask at the interview. It's fair to be concerned about it. I want to go to a school I am confident I can succeed at. They wouldn't get accreditation until our 3rd year it seems... so also does that mean private loans? Part of me wants to cancel the interview if I get accepted elsewhere
Well they already say on their website that you can't get federal loans your first two years. But besides that and the accreditation, which when I looked into it, they are on track for, I don't think the school is bad. Besides finding private loans, I wouldn't mind going here tbh. They seem to be really student oriented.

Well they already say on their website that you can't get federal loans your first two years. But besides that and the accreditation, which when I looked into it, they are on track for, I don't think the school is bad. Besides finding private loans, I wouldn't mind going here tbh. They seem to be really student oriented.
Did you interview here? Definitely would appreciate a student-oriented school, but private loans still concern me.

EDIT: Just saw that you are interviewing 9/10 lol. Hope it goes well! I wanna know what the atmosphere is like but it is hard to know when they have only their first class. Maybe the interview is the best way to learn

Did you interview here? Definitely would appreciate a student-oriented school, but private loans still concern me.

EDIT: Just saw that you are interviewing 9/10 lol. Hope it goes well! I wanna know what the atmosphere is like but it is hard to know when they have only their first class. Maybe the interview is the best way to learn
Thank you! I will let you know how it goes but I agree. I think that the interview will be the best way to learn about the school truly because the website can only give you so much. I'm hoping that the interview gives me the same student-orientated feels like the website did!

Congratulations!! If possible, do you mind letting me know around what time you got out for the day? Flight options are limited and I really don't want to have to spend money on another night and miss another day of work... Thank you!
Sorry for the late response. My situation was a little unique, so they made it work for my schedule at the time (I'm local). I interviewed at 2:30 PM and was leaving around 5:30.

I wouldn't worry a single bit about the pre-accreditation status of this school. Having talked to a few former NSU grads and Cambell grads, the word on the street is that Dean Hasty is a rock star, and this isn't his first time building up a D.O. program. What he did at Campbell is beyond compare, and given that this is the only medical school in the state and in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S. bodes well for this school and its students. To be honest, I'm shocked that they are already interviewing students. They just moved into their new facility and began teaching their first class. That they found time to read applications and keep moving forward while moving into the new building says a lot about how organized they are. After one more academic year, their students will have full access to federal loans, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the state of Idaho start beefing up some residency programs.

Reactions: 5 users
I wouldn't worry a single bit about the pre-accreditation status of this school. Having talked to a few former NSU grads and Cambell grads, the word on the street is that Dean Hasty is a rock star, and this isn't his first time building up a D.O. program. What he did at Campbell is beyond compare, and given that this is the only medical school in the state and in one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in the U.S. bodes well for this school and its students. To be honest, I'm shocked that they are already interviewing students. They just moved into their new facility and began teaching their first class. That they found time to read applications and keep moving forward while moving into the new building says a lot about how organized they are. After one more academic year, their students will have full access to federal loans, and I wouldn't be surprised to see the state of Idaho start beefing up some residency programs.

Completely agree. This isn't Dr. Hasty's first rodeo.

Anyone know if ICOM is following AACOMAS traffic guidelines now that this is their first full cycle? On the website it still says "
Those accepted prior January 14 will have 30 days. Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days. Those accepted after May 14 may be asked for an immediate deposit." According to AACOMAS those accepted prior to November 15 have up until December 14 to provide the school with their deposits.

Anyone know if ICOM is following AACOMAS traffic guidelines now that this is their first full cycle? On the website it still says "
Those accepted prior January 14 will have 30 days. Those accepted between January 15 and May 14 will have 14 days. Those accepted after May 14 may be asked for an immediate deposit." According to AACOMAS those accepted prior to November 15 have up until December 14 to provide the school with their deposits.

Please let us know if you find anything out. I was hesitant to submit as early as I did for this very reason.

Please let us know if you find anything out. I was hesitant to submit as early as I did for this very reason.

My suspicion is they haven’t updated their website. I have a hard time believing they wouldn’t follow AACOMAS traffics guidelines. Plus the dates are consistent with when they were offering interviews in the spring for this first class.

To the people who have received an interview, when did you submit the secondary?

Secondary completed July 22
App complete 24th
II Aug 16

Thanks. I completed (and received completion email on 8/1) but have not heard anything about an II yet... It has been over 3 weeks, think I should call and verify they have my app?

Edit: II finally came thru!!

Last edited:
II just now! First one of the app cycle :)
Primary: 6/19
Secondary: 8/14

II today! 2nd one this cycle.
- primary: 7/17
- secondary: 8/16

Just cancelled my interview for Sept. 24th if anyone here is interested in moving their date up. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

What did you guys write about for "why you want to go to this school?" I'm not from Idaho and I don't see much on their website about anything special or different the school has.

What did you guys write about for "why you want to go to this school?" I'm not from Idaho and I don't see much on their website about anything special or different the school has.

I talked about the location and tied in my hobbies. The school is brand new and has a ton of cool new technology, study rooms, etc. As a founding student, talk about what you'll bring to the table to set the standard for future classes.

I talked about the location and tied in my hobbies. The school is brand new and has a ton of cool new technology, study rooms, etc. As a founding student, talk about what you'll bring to the table to set the standard for future classes.
Nice, thank you.