2018-2019 Idaho College of Osteopathic Medicine (ICOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What did you guys write about for "why you want to go to this school?" I'm not from Idaho and I don't see much on their website about anything special or different the school has.
I talked about how they seem to want to expand their research program/research in general at the school (esp since it was part of one of their goals and objectives) & how I think that's important since medicine must continue to evolve and how I would love to be a part of one research project to help continue the evolution of medicine in any way that I can.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone else over analyzing their answers from the interviews today? Also do a couple answers make or break your admissions decision?

Can anyone who has interviewed give some insight on their interview day? What to expect? How was the interview itself? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone else over analyzing their answers from the interviews today? Also do a couple answers make or break your admissions decision?
That’s ALL I can think about... and i can’t imagine that a couple of answers would make that much of a difference unless you said something way off the wall. one of my interviewers mentioned how the adcom considers the entire application (essays, letters of rec, MCAT, GPA) as well as the notes from the interviewers. I wouldn’t stress over it too much.

Last edited:
For those that just interviewed do you have any tips on how to prepare? I have my interview in 2 weeks and I'm anxious and nervous about how it'll go.

Anyone else getting these emails urging them to apply?

Withdrew my interview here today. Hopefully it goes to one of you guys!! Good luck this application cycle

Reactions: 1 users
For those that just interviewed do you have any tips on how to prepare? I have my interview in 2 weeks and I'm anxious and nervous about how it'll go.
Hey! So the interviews were very informal. It’s all open file and very conversational. Just have fun with it!

Just got the acceptance call! Interviewed on Monday

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just accepted! Oh my god - I love this school so much and can’t believe this is happening.

I interviewed and got rejected, waiting to hear back as to why though. Honestly, I really liked the school and was impressed by their facilities and faculty. The interview starts when you walk in, be friendly with everyone you come into contact with... especially your fellow interviewees. This school has their students in mind first. I would be up to date on your failures and what you learned from them. Be prepared to expand on why you want to be in Idaho for their start up phase of medicine. Also, be professional. I was maybe too happy to be there, and this might have hurt my interview. Keep a positive attitude, without losing control. Lastly, don't be nervous, just answer questions honestly and never say anything negative. Do not say, this place is great, my last interview was horrible. That is a negative. Be conscious of every word you speak. Good luck! I have a few more interviews so I ain't letting this get me down, I really hope they give me feedback so I can improve my performance.

I interviewed and got rejected, waiting to hear back as to why though. Honestly, I really liked the school and was impressed by their facilities and faculty. The interview starts when you walk in, be friendly with everyone you come into contact with... especially your fellow interviewees. This school has their students in mind first. I would be up to date on your failures and what you learned from them. Be prepared to expand on why you want to be in Idaho for their start up phase of medicine. Also, be professional. I was maybe too happy to be there, and this might have hurt my interview. Keep a positive attitude, without losing control. Lastly, don't be nervous, just answer questions honestly and never say anything negative. Do not say, this place is great, my last interview was horrible. That is a negative. Be conscious of every word you speak. Good luck! I have a few more interviews so I ain't letting this get me down, I really hope they give me feedback so I can improve my performance.
Ask to get on the waitlist. I did it last year and they said that they were probably going to do it this year too.

Ask to get on the waitlist. I did it last year and they said that they were probably going to do it this year too.
They said they would send out either Accept, Waitlist, or Reject. I feel like they would have waitlisted me from the get-go if they wanted to.

Thank you for your input! I'm sorry to hear about your rejection but good luck with your other interviews! Wishing you the best with those!! :)

Accepted!!
Congratulations! All the best for a future Doc! I am interviewing 9/4: How long does it take for them to let you know? Do they indicate post interview in some manner or form, that you did well?
Thanks!

Congratulations! All the best for a future Doc! I am interviewing 9/4: How long does it take for them to let you know? Do they indicate post interview in some manner or form, that you did well?
Thanks!
They were really quick with letting us know. I interviewed on Monday, and then got the phone call around 3:30 MT on Friday afternoon. I didn't get any special indication of how my interviews went either. I actually thought that one of mine went rather poorly... Just goes to show that they consider the entire application. Good luck tomorrow!

They were really quick with letting us know. I interviewed on Monday, and then got the phone call around 3:30 MT on Friday afternoon. I didn't get any special indication of how my interviews went either. I actually thought that one of mine went rather poorly... Just goes to show that they consider the entire application. Good luck tomorrow!
thank you so much!

Is there a facebook group for the 2023 class??

Sorry I’m late to update but I got accepted on Friday!!! So freaking pumped!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'll be withdrawing my interview after acceptance at DMU. Hope it goes to one of you deserving souls!

Anyone else still waiting for a secondary? Nearing the end of my two weeks since submitting.

If anybody reading this is a current student, could you direct message me? I have a few questions about this school and want to make sure I’m making the right choice. Thank you!

It's been about 9 days for me! Does anyone know when they usually send secondaries?

I just got mine yesterday! It was about a two week wait. It appears that they go through your application a bit before sending a secondary out!

Interviewed here last year in April and ended up on the waitlist. Just got the pre-secondary rejection today...welp, guess that's less writing for me? :eyebrow:

Interviewed here last year in April and ended up on the waitlist. Just got the pre-secondary rejection today...welp, guess that's less writing for me? :eyebrow:
Weird...did you change anything like lower gpa?

Weird...did you change anything like lower gpa?

nope, since April I've shadowed more and gotten new updated LoR including one from the new DO doc I shadowed. My GPA is close to their cutoff of 3.2 but I have a 518 MCAT. Maybe I should reach out to see what the issue is?

nope, since April I've shadowed more and gotten new updated LoR including one from the new DO doc I shadowed. My GPA is close to their cutoff of 3.2 but I have a 518 MCAT. Maybe I should reach out to see what the issue is?
That is really weird...

Great news everyone!

“Dear _____,

Based on the feedback from interview days we have extended your deposit due date. You will now have until Nov. 15 to pay your non-refundable deposit of $2500. This deposit is applied to your tuition. As always, please call if you have any questions.

Regards,
The Admissions Team”

Great news everyone!

“Dear _____,

Based on the feedback from interview days we have extended your deposit due date. You will now have until Nov. 15 to pay your non-refundable deposit of $2500. This deposit is applied to your tuition. As always, please call if you have any questions.

Regards,
The Admissions Team”
Congratulations!!!!

Sent from my SM-J730GM using SDN mobile

Great news everyone!

“Dear _____,

Regards,
The Admissions Team”
I already paid mine because I didn't want it to take a while to process and miss the deadline. Man... Oh well!

I already paid mine because I didn't want it to take a while to process and miss the deadline. Man... Oh well!
Lol - Better safe than sorry. Also, the background check, drug test, and signature forms are due 11/15 as well!

Hey guys! For anyone who has already interviewed at ICOM, did anyone find it hard to get an Uber at 630am? I have a bnb 7 miles from school so it’s def not walkable lol. Renting a car will be like a $100

Hey guys! For anyone who has already interviewed at ICOM, did anyone find it hard to get an Uber at 630am? I have a bnb 7 miles from school so it’s def not walkable lol. Renting a car will be like a $100
Nope! I just booked mine to show up the night before but the map on the day of showed multiple cars available!

If anybody reading this is a current student, could you direct message me? I have a few questions about this school and want to make sure I’m making the right choice. Thank you!
Hey I just messaged you.