2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lucca

Will Walk Rope for Sandwich
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please post the secondary questions once you receive them. Check last year's thread in the 2017-2018 SSD forum for last year's questions, they tend to not change very much from year to year.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Interview Feedback: Indiana University School of Medicine

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
I'm a current MS3 at IUSM - message me with any questions!

Can't believe its already time to apply. Lets do this.

Thanks for being here and helping out! Do you mind sharing which campus you are at?

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem! At the Indianapolis campus.

Is it fairly easy to obtain your campus choice? I’m heavily considering South Bend, but curious as to how competitive the campus locations are...

Is it fairly easy to obtain your campus choice? I’m heavily considering South Bend, but curious as to how competitive the campus locations are...

I am an incoming MS1 (OOS applicant) and I was lucky enough to get my first choice which was the Indiandapolis campus, but as for how difficult it is to get your top choice I truly can't say.

I read somewhere that only the Indianapolis campus has a lottery system to figure out who goes there (due to limited spots and high demand). If you pick other campuses as your first choice, you are pretty much guaranteed to get it.

No problem! At the Indianapolis campus.

Since that is the biggest campus, what is the student to faculty ratio like? have you encountered any problems where maybe they didn't have enough resources for everyone?

Do they have a regional bias even for OOS students? Im from a neighboring state and hope that works in my favor a bit (I would prefer the Indy campus)

Do they have a regional bias even for OOS students? Im from a neighboring state and hope that works in my favor a bit (I would prefer the Indy campus)

From last years thread it seems like they have bias for people with ties to Indiana.

Good luck to everyone applying!

good luck too :)
following thread

So based on last year's thread, Indiana University did not have a secondary. Does anyone know if that is changing this year?

So based on last year's thread, Indiana University did not have a secondary. Does anyone know if that is changing this year?
In years past there have been no secondaries. It’s likely to continue this year, but it’s also possible that they will start implementing one. But to be honest, no one really knows except for adcoms or people with inside knowledge.

Members don't see this ad :)
In years past there have been no secondaries. It’s likely to continue this year, but it’s also possible that they will start implementing one. But to be honest, no one really knows except for adcoms or people with inside knowledge.
Thanks! It makes me nervous that there probably won't be a secondary application; I have ties to IU so I'm not sure how I should convey that to the admissions committee.

Thanks! It makes me nervous that there probably won't be a secondary application; I have ties to IU so I'm not sure how I should convey that to the admissions committee.
I sent them a letter (To the admissions office) after submitting my primary application explaining my ties, and it seemed to work.

Would a physician you've shadowed fulfill the personal LOR requirement? Just confused on what they mean by personal

Has anyone gotten notification that their app was received? I was verified really early so I’m confident it went out in the first batch. Applying EDP so I feel extra neurotic.

Has anyone gotten notification that their app was received? I was verified really early so I’m confident it went out in the first batch. Applying EDP so I feel extra neurotic.

EDP as well and havent received anything. According to last year's thread, they started sending out received emails arounds July 10th

Just got an email that IUSM received my app. I guess we just have to wait now! Applied EDP, verified 6/2

Anybody know which campuses are the best if I want to work with urban underserved? Im thinking Indianapolis, Gary (cuz chicago), and Fort Wayne

I got the email this morning. Does this mean we won't get anymore communication with them unless its a rejection or they want to interview?

Got the email this morning that they received my app, not EDP!

Confirmation email received, also KY resident lol

Do you guys know what counts as a personal letter? Would a research PI letter work or are they looking for a friend/colleague?

Do you guys know what counts as a personal letter? Would a research PI letter work or are they looking for a friend/colleague?
The personal letter is supposed to be a non-academic letter that shows how you are outside of the classroom. Usually its a doctor you shadowed, your boss, volunteer supervisor, etc. I think a research PI works as well.

Verified 7/11. Still no confirmation email.

They won’t send out IIs without all LORs in, right? I’ve got someone dragging their feet and I swear if it puts me behind...

Anyone think its worth a phone call to see how they send out the confirmation emails? I was verified 6/13 and still havent gotten it either.

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone think its worth a phone call to see how they send out the confirmation emails? I was verified 6/13 and still havent gotten it either.
Yeah, it’s weird. I got verified 7/16, got confirmation 7/17 so it’s unusual that you haven’t gotten one

They won’t send out IIs without all LORs in, right? I’ve got someone dragging their feet and I swear if it puts me behind...

They request LORs with the II. But, you might want to give the LOR writer a little nudge.

I’m OOS and got a confirmation as well on 7/9. Was verified prior to the first day of submission.

I'm OOS and got a confirmation email 7/5. I submitted my primary on June 1. So it might just be in order of primary submission?