2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For everyone who was wondering about it before, just got the portal update from under consideration to accepted. Accepted 12/14 and the change took effect at about 830 this morning, so it looks like about a week turnaround for the portal to update. All info you need to move forward is included in an email

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Does where we interview affect anything? It should i just schedule for the closet location?

Members don't see this ad :)
ACCEPTED
Anyone know how long we have to wait to choose campus preferences? Set up my account but it’s saying access denied

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Does where we interview affect anything? It should i just schedule for the closet location?
I have a theory that the interview location can affect how soon you get an interview date. Just to put it into perspective, I received an interview invite in early September but only just now received an interview date. Being an OOS applicant, I naturally chose the Indianapolis campus out of convenience. I'm guessing a lot of other out-of-state people chose that campus as well so there was probably an increased demand for spots there.

main takeaway is don't choose the Indianapolis campus if you want to interview sooner just based on my personal experience lol

Reactions: 1 user
For everyone who was wondering about it before, just got the portal update from under consideration to accepted. Accepted 12/14 and the change took effect at about 830 this morning, so it looks like about a week turnaround for the portal to update. All info you need to move forward is included in an email
Thanks for the update! Nice to know my acceptance didn't get lost in the mail.. they just didn't send one. lmao

I have a theory that the interview location can affect how soon you get an interview date. Just to put it into perspective, I received an interview invite in early September but only just now received an interview date. Being an OOS applicant, I naturally chose the Indianapolis campus out of convenience. I'm guessing a lot of other out-of-state people chose that campus as well so there was probably an increased demand for spots there.

main takeaway is don't choose the Indianapolis campus if you want to interview sooner just based on my personal experience lol

I'm planning on driving there so I would prefer to choose a closer location to me but just wanted to make sure that wouldn't affect where we get placed or something like that. I'm also confused about how second look will work if we get accepted but I guess that's something I'll have to worry about if it gets to that point.

Got an interview today! Just wondering though because their oos tuition is super high so I don't know if I want to go. I already have an in state acceptance so dont want to waste a spot that can go to someone else. Does anyone know if they give out any scholarships or anything to try and attract oos people? If not I will likely withdraw my application.

Got an interview today! Just wondering though because their oos tuition is super high so I don't know if I want to go. I already have an in state acceptance so dont want to waste a spot that can go to someone else. Does anyone know if they give out any scholarships or anything to try and attract oos people? If not I will likely withdraw my application.

They could give you a hefty scholarship depending on how well you fit/how much they want you. I got accepted a few days ago and also got accepted from my state school like u as well, but I’m holding on to my IU offer bc I was blown by the facilities during my interview

For those that were accepted around 12/14 my portal updated! Would y’all mind sharing your thoughts with me regarding your campus placement ranking? I’m kinda liking Bloomington and South Bend despite interviewing at Indy just bc of my research on them and the things I’ve heard

They could give you a hefty scholarship depending on how well you fit/how much they want you. I got accepted a few days ago and also got accepted from my state school like u as well, but I’m holding on to my IU offer bc I was blown by the facilities during my interview

Did they happen to mention how much they might give people? My state school is 30k a year and the cost here for oos is 60k a year so to make it worth it I would need a pretty large scholarship (especially since my state school might also give some scholarships in April time).

I just really don't want to spend the money on travel costs and also waste an interview slot someone else could potentially get if there's no chance it would be cheaper than my state school.

I did really like the fact that preclinical years were pass/fail here though since my state school is pass/fail but top 10% is ranked.

Does anyone know where I go to rank my campus preferences? Can’t figure it out in the portal :(

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know if OOS students can get in state residency after the first year?

Edit: nevermind the answer is yes

Last edited:
For those that were accepted around 12/14 my portal updated! Would y’all mind sharing your thoughts with me regarding your campus placement ranking? I’m kinda liking Bloomington and South Bend despite interviewing at Indy just bc of my research on them and the things I’ve heard

In State student here who went to IU-Bloomington for 4 years and ranked Bloomington as number 1 when I ranked my campuses. Bloomington is simply put one of the most beautiful cities in the country; it's got that small town feel with so much to do. My friends who are in med school here get to have fun after their exams on Fridays because there are bars. There are parks all around town to please the urbanite who loves green space. Lakes are a short drive from town that allow for kayaking, sunset/sunrise views, boating days with your class. The town really appreciates its dedication to outdoor healthy living, which you'll see with the miles of biking/walking trails going through the city. Most things are walkable; specifically, I liked being able to get out of class and walk to get food with my friends rather than having to commute EVERYWHERE.Bloomington is also currently in the process of redesigning and rebuilding its Regional Academic Medical Center - which will change the direction of the hospital down here more towards academic/teaching to couple the community feel. Overall, those aspects made me want to return to Bloomington when I ranked my campuses last month.

I don't know South Bend as well, but it also is one of the small/big cities of Indiana with green spaces. The med school I hear is on Notre Dame's campus which will give you the beauty associated with that school (heard it is beautiful). It also is one of the few tolerant cities of Indiana (those would by Bloomington, Indy, Gary, South Bend), so you should get a good mix of people to interact with in the community and in your class. The one benefit they have is their student-run clinic, which Bloomington does not currently have. However, there are many volunteer opportunities with similar organizations in Bloomington.

Ultimately, a kid from my high school now a med student in Bloomington said he picked Bloomington because of the similar reasons of small/big town feels with a dedication towards health; he also said the gym membership being free for our gym drew him over other campuses, so everyone has their reasons.

Reactions: 1 users
In State student here who went to IU-Bloomington for 4 years and ranked Bloomington as number 1 when I ranked my campuses. Bloomington is simply put one of the most beautiful cities in the country; it's got that small town feel with so much to do. My friends who are in med school here get to have fun after their exams on Fridays because there are bars. There are parks all around town to please the urbanite who loves green space. Lakes are a short drive from town that allow for kayaking, sunset/sunrise views, boating days with your class. The town really appreciates its dedication to outdoor healthy living, which you'll see with the miles of biking/walking trails going through the city. Most things are walkable; specifically, I liked being able to get out of class and walk to get food with my friends rather than having to commute EVERYWHERE.Bloomington is also currently in the process of redesigning and rebuilding its Regional Academic Medical Center - which will change the direction of the hospital down here more towards academic/teaching to couple the community feel. Overall, those aspects made me want to return to Bloomington when I ranked my campuses last month.

I don't know South Bend as well, but it also is one of the small/big cities of Indiana with green spaces. The med school I hear is on Notre Dame's campus which will give you the beauty associated with that school (heard it is beautiful). It also is one of the few tolerant cities of Indiana (those would by Bloomington, Indy, Gary, South Bend), so you should get a good mix of people to interact with in the community and in your class. The one benefit they have is their student-run clinic, which Bloomington does not currently have. However, there are many volunteer opportunities with similar organizations in Bloomington.

Ultimately, a kid from my high school now a med student in Bloomington said he picked Bloomington because of the similar reasons of small/big town feels with a dedication towards health; he also said the gym membership being free for our gym drew him over other campuses, so everyone has their reasons.

Thank you for your input!! I'm warming more and more to Bloomington, I feel like it's very similar to my college town now. I LOVE walking to places, lol i can't stand having to drive just to get food so that might be the deal breaker hahaha. Do you have any knowledge on the cost of living between Bloomington, Indy, and South Bend? I did see online that there is on campus graduate housing available for us at South Bend.

Thank you for your input!! I'm warming more and more to Bloomington, I feel like it's very similar to my college town now. I LOVE walking to places, lol i can't stand having to drive just to get food so that might be the deal breaker hahaha. Do you have any knowledge on the cost of living between Bloomington, Indy, and South Bend? I did see online that there is on campus graduate housing available for us at South Bend.

The main negative of Bloomington is it’s the most expensive housing in the state of Indiana (for everyone, not just college kids). Most med students (and most students in general after freshman year) live off campus in houses or apartments.

Hey! Any MS1’s on here mind direct messaging me. I have a couple questions I wanted to ask you. Would be much appreciated:)
I’m an M1, it seems you may need to change your privacy settings before I can DM you :)

Just a bit of background before answering: I did my undergrad at IU Bloomington, master's through IUSM in Indy, and currently doing research full-time at the IUSM South Bend campus.

As far as accessibility goes, all three campuses have food and recreation within walking distance from/within campus. That being said, Bloomington is the most accessible BY FAR, followed by South Bend then Indy. In regards to cost of living, Indy is the most expensive and South Bend is the cheapest from my experience. Housing in Indy is difficult because they're isn't much middle-ground; you're mostly stuck between paying well over $1000 a month to live on the canal, or commuting from outside of downtown because the other apartments near campus are mostly run-down and/or full of loud undergrads. Bloomington and South Bend both have nice (albeit similarly expensive) options for housing on/near campus, but have better options with commuting. In Bloomington, there are a lot of cheaper options just outside of campus within a 5-minute drive. South Bend is right by Mishawaka and Granger which both have very nice housing that's priced lower since they're about 10 minutes from Notre Dame, which is where the IUSM campus is.

This is all VERY broad info though, and is just coming from my personal experience. Others may have different takes. If you'd like more details, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Last edited:
Withdrawing pre interview, hope someone here waiting on an interview gets the spot!

I saw on the website that you have to shadow at least three doctors to get your application reviewed. Can I shadow two MDs and one optometrist and still fulfill the requirement, or do I have to shadow all three MDs?

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thanks for the answers! I'll be sending my app in here then. For those curious, this is pulled from their website: "
Application Requirements
MD applicants must have completed ninety (90) credit hours from an accredited US or Canadian institution of higher education as well as the Medical College Admission Test (MCAT). Applicants should shadow a minimum of three physicians and participate in meaningful medical service-learning activities before applying to IU School of Medicine."

Can I shadow two MDs and one optometrist and still fulfill the requirement, or do I have to shadow all three MDs?

Can I shadow two MDs and one optometrist and still fulfill the requirement, or do I have to shadow all three MDs?

I wasn't aware of this requirement and still got an II. I do however have scribing experience with numerous physicians so maybe that counts? Maybe you could consider doing that too?

I wasn't aware of this requirement and still got an II. I do however have scribing experience with numerous physicians so maybe that counts? Maybe you could consider doing that too?

I don’t even know how to be a scribe and what it takes to be one. I don’t think I am qualified for it tbh.

I don’t even know how to be a scribe and what it takes to be one. I don’t think I am qualified for it tbh.

You don't need much to be qualified, just a slightly above average typing speed. Apply through scribe for America and it's very easy to get a job. You pretty much follow doctors around and type up what's being said.

Reactions: 1 users
You don't need much to be qualified, just a slightly above average typing speed. Apply through scribe for America and it's very easy to get a job. You pretty much follow doctors around and type up what's being said.

I better improve my typing speed. Thanks for the recommendation.

I saw on the website that you have to shadow at least three doctors to get your application reviewed. Can I shadow two MDs and one optometrist and still fulfill the requirement, or do I have to shadow all three MDs?

Good luck to everyone still waiting.

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a hard requirement. I know of multiple people, including myself, who shadowed less than 3 physicians and were accepted. Getting more shadowing experience with doctors in different specialties definitely doesn’t hurt though

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a hard requirement. I know of multiple people, including myself, who shadowed less than 3 physicians and were accepted. Getting more shadowing experience with doctors in different specialties definitely doesn’t hurt though

I agree that this isn't a hard requirement. If anything, I think they just want to see evidence that you understand what the day-to-day life of a physician entails which you can pretty much get from working a health care related job in addition to shadowing.

Does anyone know if IU Med's offices open back up tomorrow or after New Year's?

Does anyone know if IU Med's offices open back up tomorrow or after New Year's?

After the new years, I emailed them and I got an automated response saying they'll respond after new years.

If we have sent in our letters of rec via AMCAS, do they receive them? My portal shows that they are not received. If this is the case, should I send them via Interfolio or something? Sorry if this was asked/answered already.

If we have sent in our letters of rec via AMCAS, do they receive them? My portal shows that they are not received. If this is the case, should I send them via Interfolio or something? Sorry if this was asked/answered already.
They will get your letters from AMCAS. But I remember having to contact them via email before they were marked as complete for me. So if you have been waiting for months to have these be checked as complete in your portal, I would recommend just sending them a quick email!

Assuming you have an II, can IU change the classification of your letters if you ask them to? I have 3 letters - 2 science and 1 non-science - but one of my science letters is from my academic advisor, so I'm hoping to use that as a personal letter since the supplemental info pdf said advisor letters can count. Is it worth it to call and ask them about it, or would they change it on their own? My portal says my science and non-science letters have been processed, but not my personal letter, so I'm leaning towards giving them a call.

Assuming you have an II, can IU change the classification of your letters if you ask them to? I have 3 letters - 2 science and 1 non-science - but one of my science letters is from my academic advisor, so I'm hoping to use that as a personal letter since the supplemental info pdf said advisor letters can count. Is it worth it to call and ask them about it, or would they change it on their own? My portal says my science and non-science letters have been processed, but not my personal letter, so I'm leaning towards giving them a call.

Give them a call when they get back in after the holidays. I had a similar thing where they had registered two of my letters as personal and none as non-science. They had me contact one of the references who then sent a short addendum to the letter directly to their admissions office and everything got cleared up. They're really good about helping if you can get ahold of them!

Has anyone who got accepted in December NOT received their acceptance packet in the mail? Getting a little worried considering I need to mail it back in 14 days

Did they happen to mention how much they might give people? My state school is 30k a year and the cost here for oos is 60k a year so to make it worth it I would need a pretty large scholarship (especially since my state school might also give some scholarships in April time).

I just really don't want to spend the money on travel costs and also waste an interview slot someone else could potentially get if there's no chance it would be cheaper than my state school.

I did really like the fact that preclinical years were pass/fail here though since my state school is pass/fail but top 10% is ranked.

During my interview it sounded as though scholarships top out at 20k/year and are primarily awarded on the basis of MCAT and GPA.

Has anyone who got accepted in December NOT received their acceptance packet in the mail? Getting a little worried considering I need to mail it back in 14 days

If you still haven’t gotten it, shoot them an email so that they have a time stamp of the fact that you didn’t receive the packet! Sometimes the mail gets weird during the holidays and stuff gets lost.

That being said, if you’re still a student and put your student housing as your AMCAS preferred address, that’s where it was sent.

I found out I was accepted via the portal in November (like on a Tuesday) and didn’t get the packet until I went to my campus housing on a thanksgiving night.

do all campuses now have block scheduling now? I know South Bend does
Yes, the curriculum is standardized across the state so all nine campuses take the same courses in the same semester. Each campus has the ability to adjust their specific class times based on room availability, instructor schedule, etc. For example, one campus may have anatomy lab on Mon/Wed and another may have it on Thurs/Fri. The courses are organized on block schedule and for the most part the class times are as well.

Post edited for clarity.

Last edited:
Yes, the curriculum is standardized across the state so all nine campuses take the same classes at the same time.
Thank you! I'm torn between the South Bend, Bloomington, and Indy campuses....could you give me some insight in terms of opportunities for research in competitive specialties, and your views on class size (does is make that big of a deal in the first two years).

Thank you! I'm torn between the South Bend, Bloomington, and Indy campuses....could you give me some insight in terms of opportunities for research in competitive specialties, and your views on class size (does is make that big of a deal in the first two years).
I'm no expert (and I'm at a satellite campus not Indy), but I'll offer what I can. Being in Indy means that you're at the hub of academic medicine for the state in addition to having lots of nearby hospitals. This naturally means that there are more opportunities to engage in research in many different specialties. I'm sure each campus has its own opportunities for research during the year, but you would likely have to seek them out yourself. At least for the first semester of M1, I will say that it would be difficult to do research during the year since you have class and lab so often. However if you prioritize and organize your schedule carefully, you could likely make it work. With regards to summer research, honestly there is likely no difference between the campuses since all students across the state can apply through IUSM's summer research program and can conduct research at any of the campuses. For example, students in South Bend could apply to do research in Indy for the summer months if they wanted. It's a competitive application process, but it's possible.

I don't know if class size is that big of a deal with regards to academics, but I will say that I absolutely love having a small class. We all knew each other by the end of the first few weeks, and we hang out often. For me personally, I love the fact that I get to see everyone pretty much every day. Medical school is hard enough so it really helps having a good support system through your class :) I won't say that this isn't the case in Indy, but from friends that are there now I can say that their experiences are different from mine.

This happened to me. I had to get a new professor to write me a letter.

Hey everyone! Congrats on Acceptances and IIs. I have my Interview this week and checked the entire thread for insight....could anyone shed light on the interview day experience? I understand it's a short experience (roughly 3 1/2 hours). My interview is in the afternoon. Is it just one 60 min interview or 2 30-min interviews? Is is open/closed file? What're the general vibes from the experience? Thanks in advance !!!

Hey everyone! Congrats on Acceptances and IIs. I have my Interview this week and checked the entire thread for insight....could anyone shed light on the interview day experience? I understand it's a short experience (roughly 3 1/2 hours). My interview is in the afternoon. Is it just one 60 min interview or 2 30-min interviews? Is is open/closed file? What're the general vibes from the experience? Thanks in advance !!!

It’s one interview that is about 30ish minutes. My interviewer had my AMCAS in front of him. Interviews can have from 1-3 people there interviewing you. And I’m sure this experience differs depending on where you interview but the Indy campus was chill!

Congratulations! I'll be interviewing later this month. My understanding is that it consists of two interviewers and it's open file.