Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. babylonianking

Pre-Medical
    This happened to me. I had to get a new professor to write me a letter.

Green_Goose likes this.
  2. babylonianking

Pre-Medical
    Hey everyone! Congrats on Acceptances and IIs. I have my Interview this week and checked the entire thread for insight....could anyone shed light on the interview day experience? I understand it's a short experience (roughly 3 1/2 hours). My interview is in the afternoon. Is it just one 60 min interview or 2 30-min interviews? Is is open/closed file? What're the general vibes from the experience? Thanks in advance !!!

3. TopSpent

It’s one interview that is about 30ish minutes. My interviewer had my AMCAS in front of him. Interviews can have from 1-3 people there interviewing you. And I’m sure this experience differs depending on where you interview but the Indy campus was chill!

4. PickleRickelus

Congratulations! I'll be interviewing later this month. My understanding is that it consists of two interviewers and it's open file.

5. kinjin24

kinjin24 Probationary Status
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Barely open file... lol

6. PickleRickelus

As in they barely reference it or they only have a limited amount of information? Lol don't leave us hanging

7. apurk

They barely reference it. Like they only mentioned my major

PickleRickelus likes this.
  8. kinjin24

kinjin24 Probationary Status
    Bronze Donor Verified Account

Barely as in they said "I see that u have ___ experiences, tell us why medicine" then after that it was "now we are on the competency questions portion of the interview, any questions" lol i was last to interview in my group so they rushed me hahaha they literally said, oh you gotta go to the finical aid portion as i was finishing up an answer lol

@TheMasterplan edit out that last part. They didn't want others to know they had that when i told my guide that, at least at my interview. It's only for certain ppl lol

9. B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

2+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    You might not get both interviewers, but they tell you there is a chance you only get one interviewer. I just had one interview with faculty/4th year student, it was open file but I only got one or two open file questions and alot of ethics questions.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  10. Green_Goose

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yep I just called them last week and I have to get a new letter too haha

11. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    The interview day was relaxed and pretty straight forward, though a bit disorganized. We milled around for 15 min or so before being taken to a presentation and medical student panel discussion. After that we were sent to a financial aid discussion which was actually very helpful, and then sent off to our respective interview locations around campus. Mine was with one faculty member and one 4th year medical student. The interview was open file, but not particularly specific. Lots of ethics questions, so brush up on MMI style questions and know your stance on a few key issues. The day was over by 4pm for me, so a pretty quick one.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    babylonianking likes this.
  12. toedrag

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Pre II R today, OOS. Not surprised

13. Nibdiddy

Pre-Medical
    Hey, does anyone know what's up with these "Core Competencies"? I keep seeing people say there are 9... but i only found 6... Are these just responses from people who interviewed a long time ago?

14. ick19

I received an II in September and still have not received interview dates. Anyone in the same boat?

#1064 ick19, Jan 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
  15. PickleRickelus

I also received an II in September and just barely received my interview date towards the end of December so I know how it is. most likely they haven't forgotten about you as I think it just depends on interviewer availability. In any case, I would go ahead and just reach out to them to inquire.

16. ick19

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

17. rayn01

Hey, has anybody else who interviewed 11/14 got any more acceptances? It's been silent for a while on here :confused:
    Does anybody know when they start sending rejections?

18. Nibdiddy

Pre-Medical
    Interviewed 11/9 by far the most relaxed interview I've had. Very short day and no campus tour. I interviewed in Indianapolis super laid back interview.

19. noisepollution

Pre-Medical
    Committee only meets once a month (on the 15th) to make decisions. As far as I know, they’ve only sent out acceptances and no post-II rejections/waitlists

rayn01 likes this.
  20. Shine-Dalgarno

Hi All! I am an avid lurker, first time poster, and upcoming interview candidate for Jan 16th date!

As the date approaches, I decided to create an Eventbrite meet-up for us candidates to get together the night before since we all potentially will be classmates. Testing waters so based on the headcount will determine if I drink a beer alone or not. LOL. You can find the event here Indiana University School of Medicine Pre-Interview Meet-Up

Regardless if you choose to come or not, best of luck to you all and looking forward to meeting you all soon. Cheers!

21. noisepollution

Pre-Medical
    This is so cute

22. phaneepack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I received a II on 9/26 but havent received a date yet. Anybody in the same boat? Should I call for an update?

cj2013 likes this.
  23. ibol

Pre-Medical
    Anyone (especially current students) know the average step 1 score for each of the 9 campuses?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

24. boiler52

Has anyone heard anything back regarding merit/recruitment scholarships? I know the initial email said December but I don’t know if anyone that has received anything

Dawgs82 likes this.
  25. Dawgs82

Agreed, I have not heard anything either.

IrishDoctah likes this.
  26. fermiworm

2+ Year Member

What size photo did you bring to interview day? Is 4x4 too big?

Shine-Dalgarno likes this.
  27. CattyHopefulDoc

Pre-Medical
    When I interviewed last Wednesday, they said they would start meeting in February to discuss scholarships.

Dawgs82 likes this.
  28. fermiworm

2+ Year Member

Does Indiana accept updates? Sorry if this has already been asked. I don't see where we can upload in the portal.

29. CluelessSavant

You can utilize the “contact us” feature on said portal

30. stofferd99

Where do we rank our campus preferences after being accepted? I haven't found the tab.

31. TopSpent

My friend who is an MS2 in Indy said they had a meeting showing that all of the campuses, due to having the standard education, have no statistical difference in Step 1 scores across the 9 campuses.

noisepollution likes this.
  32. PureLife12

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I had a 4x6 they don't care. Pretty much no one at my interview day could find the mythical 3x5 print lol you'll be okay obvi for others that are wondering just get the closest size you can and nothing huge

33. cj2013

Pre-Medical
    I am in the same boat (II 9/26). I'm trying to be patient bc this wait seems to be the norm for Indiana but its been almost 3 months since the II. I don't know whether I should call or just keep on waiting.

phaneepack and ick19 like this.
  34. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    That is strange, if it were me I would call for sure just to make sure something wasn’t misplaced. They’re pretty good about getting back to emails as well.

cj2013 likes this.
  35. apurk

I am in the same boat. I wouldn't do anything this week because they are doing final decisions today so you might hear back later this week

phaneepack and cj2013 like this.
  36. cj2013

Pre-Medical
    Okay, thanks! I will wait until next Monday and if I don’t hear anything by then I’ll just go ahead and give them a call!

phaneepack likes this.
  37. PureLife12

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Any word for anyone? Portal updates? Updates on one.iu.edu application status?

Ltjkstudent and rayn01 like this.
  38. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Time my monthly regiment of stalking the mailbox. :bored:

39. Tatg0822

2+ Year Member

I mailed an update letter and transcript to the Indy campus but I have no clue if it was actually added to my file.

40. duckdocgoose

Pre-Medical
    Tried using the contact us feature mentioned above and it will tell you to mail it in

41. cj2013

Pre-Medical
    JUST got my interview date for 2/13! Recieved the II on 9/26 !

HunterXHunter likes this.
  42. phaneepack

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I guess I spoke too soon. I just received my date today for 2/13. Im sure you'll receive yours anytime soon.

ick19 and HunterXHunter like this.
  43. PureLife12

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Had a big envelope in the mail got so excited and it was some stupid spam mail. I was so salty lol. Any word for anyone else?

Shine-Dalgarno and Cats007 like this.
  44. Tatg0822

2+ Year Member

ADMITTED OH MY GOODNESS! My portal updated.

I’m not a IU student and live OOS but was able to set up my portal a few months ago to check my app status.

Shine-Dalgarno and VersaceJack like this.
  45. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Do you mean your secondary portal or the One.IU portal? How did you get to set that up as a non-IU student? I set mine up a while back, but I can't check application status because they don't allow "guest access." I thought only IU students had that access. Would love to know!

46. Tatg0822

2+ Year Member

Yes the one.IU portal. This was a few months ago but I remember looking up my university ID number and I used that to set up the one.IU account. I’m on my phone but I’ll try to find the link when I get home.

ArizonaRobbins likes this.
  47. noisepollution

Pre-Medical
    Yes please! I would also like to know how you did this!! Also congratulations!!!

48. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Wow, and you've never been an IU student? I didn't think that was possible, but I look forward to hearing more!

49. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Ok, I just figured out how to set up a new One.IU account using the IU ID#. Still not sure I can login since it says it takes 24 hours to become active. But, I was granted a username and @iu.edu email address, so not sure if that is actually a good sign!

50. DeadlyWarbler

DeadlyWarbler Biologist
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ADMITTED!!! I was just able to access my portal. OOS. Interviewed 10/10!!