2018-2019 Indiana University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the acceptance letter today! Interviewed 1/23, OOS

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For accepted people, when the portal changes to accepted and has an IU Network ID with space to type in passphrase, is this passphrase something we were informed of? I never set up an IU account (and non-IU undergrad student).

Edit: Figured this out!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone provide an overview of the differences between the Bloomington and South Bend campuses?
Ever since the implementation of the new curriculum, you should expect both campuses to be almost exactly the same education-wise. However, that's kind of where the similarities end. Bloomington is on the IU campus and you'll likely be having class with graduate students (along with your peer med students), whereas South Bend campus is located on the campus of Notre Dame (it's actually like right outside of the campus, but basically still considered a part of it). Bloomington has a concentration in Business of Medicine whereas South Bend has a concentration of Ethics. In terms of like research opportunities and stuff, South Bend campus students can do research at Notre Dame, which is really big on medical research. This isn't to say Bloomington wouldn't provide good research opportunities, but Notre Dame definitely has the upper hand here. Finally, South Bend offers students the opportunity to work in the Navari student outreach clinic, which might actually make you a more well-rounded student. As far as I know, Bloomington doesn't have a dedicated student outreach clinic. Hope this helps

Ever since the implementation of the new curriculum, you should expect both campuses to be almost exactly the same education-wise. However, that's kind of where the similarities end. Bloomington is on the IU campus and you'll likely be having class with graduate students (along with your peer med students), whereas South Bend campus is located on the campus of Notre Dame (it's actually like right outside of the campus, but basically still considered a part of it). Bloomington has a concentration in Business of Medicine whereas South Bend has a concentration of Ethics. In terms of like research opportunities and stuff, South Bend campus students can do research at Notre Dame, which is really big on medical research. This isn't to say Bloomington wouldn't provide good research opportunities, but Notre Dame definitely has the upper hand here. Finally, South Bend offers students the opportunity to work in the Navari student outreach clinic, which might actually make you a more well-rounded student. As far as I know, Bloomington doesn't have a dedicated student outreach clinic. Hope this helps
Thank you! This perspective will help as I am ranking campus preferences.

Does anyone know how to do the background check ? I got an email about keeping up with the application cycle and that background checks had to be done mid march but I don’t see like a link or anything.

For anybody that got accepted, did you receive an email from AAMC for background check?

I received one today but it said “you have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted...”. Didn’t know if she should be worried or not?

For anybody that got accepted, did you receive an email from AAMC for background check?

I received one today but it said “you have received this email because you have been waitlisted or conditionally accepted...”. Didn’t know if she should be worried or not?

Why would you be worried? All medical school acceptances are conditional if you think about it since there are still hoops to jump through before they let you come to your school, i.e. the background check. So I’d say this is exactly the email you want to keep your application moving forward.

Why would you be worried? All medical school acceptances are conditional if you think about it since there are still hoops to jump through before they let you come to your school, i.e. the background check. So I’d say this is exactly the email you want to keep your application moving forward.

The waitlist part had me worried. Lol.

But you right. Thanks fam

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know how to do the background check ? I got an email about keeping up with the application cycle and that background checks had to be done mid march but I don’t see like a link or anything.
If you've been accepted you should have gotten an email by now from "certiphi" it should say "AAMC Background Check Consent Request"

Is it acceptable to call and ask if our decision has been mailed or not?
Intervied mid Jan.

Members don't see this ad :)
If accepted people can let us know if their portals have updated you could check that

If accepted people can let us know if their portals have updated you could check that

I was accepted last week and my portal is updated as of now, not sure when it happened though since I haven't checked since maybe last Wednesday

So I have a question on how IU does things.. if campus locations are assigned in April, does that mean post-April you’re essentially waitlisted and if they send you an acceptance it will be to one specific campus?
Also, at what point do they stop conducting interviews?
If anyone knows, I’d appreciate the insight!

So I have a question on how IU does things.. if campus locations are assigned in April, does that mean post-April you’re essentially waitlisted and if they send you an acceptance it will be to one specific campus?
Also, at what point do they stop conducting interviews?
If anyone knows, I’d appreciate the insight!
From what they told us at the interview. If you're waitlisted and later accepted, then it's to one specific campus. You don't get a choice of where you want to go.

From what they told us at the interview. If you're waitlisted and later accepted, then it's to one specific campus. You don't get a choice of where you want to go.
Right, that part I knew and it makes sense since that would be an offer for a very specific seat. But for those of us who haven’t heard back yet after our interview, would it be safe to assume you’re essentially waitlisted if we don’t hear back from the March 15 or April 15 review? Just wondering because since campus selections are in April

Right, that part I knew and it makes sense since that would be an offer for a very specific seat. But for those of us who haven’t heard back yet after our interview, would it be safe to assume you’re essentially waitlisted if we don’t hear back from the March 15 or April 15 review? Just wondering because since campus selections are in April

Based on last year's forum, the last month of decisions for those of us still waiting is March 15th. If we haven't heard by then, it's waitlist or rejection. People were waitlisted via email in mid-April and rejected via portal in mid-May

Reactions: 4 users
Based on last year's forum, the last month of decisions for those of us still waiting is March 15th. If we haven't heard by then, it's waitlist or rejection. People were waitlisted via email in mid-April and rejected via portal in mid-May
Thank you, scuba_cat
Dang, no pressure for next month or anything agh

Anyone get an email for the second look day?

Is it a bad sign if you don't get invited to the second look day? And when do invitations go out?

Quick question - is IU P/F or HH/HP/P/F? And is it for all four years or just M1+M2?

I got the invite and interviewed at Indy and am not URM. Also IS

Can anyone speak to the quality of the facilities on the different campuses? I interviewed at Indy and the med school buildings and hospitals seemed to be pretty nice. Just trying to gather as much info as possible as campus placement is still up in the air

I’m confused.. they told me on interview day that they are not rolling and therefore wait until the end of the app cycle to doll out any acceptances at all. It seems I misunderstood. You hear back in a month?

I called the admissions office to follow-up on my decision since I interviewed 1/16/19. They said that the Adcom meets periodically since my interview to review candidates. Acceptances are sent out the 15th of every month. A waitlist or rejection can be sent any time following your interview with final decisions sent by June 1st. So my takeaway is no news is good news? I’m hoping to hear by March 15th in an ideal world.

Reactions: 2 users
Can we send updates to IU and are they worth it/beneficial? Recently had two abstracts approved for poster presentation at some conferences happening in a few months... is this something worth updating on? Sorry ya'll IU is literally my top choice school and I'd kill to hear back from them next round :(

Can we send updates to IU and are they worth it/beneficial? Recently had two abstracts approved for poster presentation at some conferences happening in a few months... is this something worth updating on? Sorry ya'll IU is literally my top choice school and I'd kill to hear back from them next round :(

No idea if it's beneficial, but I'm sending one today as sort of a hail mary. I'd say those abstracts you have are worth an update letter but definitely get a couple other opinions just to be sure.

Dang IU's second look is not big at all. They sent the sign up email at 3:03 and when I signed up at 3:10 it said there were only 42 spots remaining.

Has anyone with an MCAT score between 504-507 been accepted yet?

Does anyone know if/when IU will make a facebook page for accepted students? Or can we expect multiple fb pages after campus placement?

Has anyone with a <500 MCAT score been accepted yet? That’s where I fall and wondering if they don’t throw us a bone until the end. Lol.

Our next judgment day will be upon us soon, good luck to all competitors.

Reactions: 2 users
Hey, MS1 here at the West Lafayette center - I know IU isn't the best at communicating around this time of year, so I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have at this point in the cycle.

Hey, MS1 here at the West Lafayette center - I know IU isn't the best at communicating around this time of year, so I'm happy to answer any questions anyone might have at this point in the cycle.
Do you happen to remember when campus placements came out last year?