2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Rejected, but it's all good; felt like my one other offer was a better fit, but very happy to have had the chance to interview. See you again for residency (and maybe my MPH), Hopkins! Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to everyone as the cycle comes to a close!!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats to all – hope this round of decisions brings everyone one step closer to their final choice!

Also got the R... absolutely crushed I don't know what I could have done differently
This is how I feel too
If it's any consolation the quality of the interviewees were staggering – many times the applicants were not rejected due to anything negative, but rather the pool was so dang impressive. We don't place everyone on a nebulous post-interview "hold" if they are not accepted, so lines are drawn in the sand somewhere. This means that our WL is an "active" waitlist; movement does happen (don't have exact numbers but I believe close to 50 of the 200 are ultimately extended offers). With a lot of schools wielding new and attractive finaid ventures, I'll be curious to see if this results in more WL movement – but that's just naive speculation.

I know these are just words and rejection does sting, but I genuinely wish you all the best going forward and hope you keep us in mind for residency (or MPH!). My #1 choice for med school – my hometown uni that I did all my clinical volunteering with – rejected me straight up, no interview at all. Sometimes I still wrack my brain going "what did I do wrong?" The only thing I can say about this process is that it is unpredictable. College admissions, med school, residency, fellowship, jobs, etc.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats to all – hope this round of decisions brings everyone one step closer to their final choice!

If it's any consolation the quality of the interviewees were staggering – many times the applicants were not rejected due to anything negative, but rather the pool was so dang impressive. We don't place everyone on a nebulous post-interview "hold" if they are not accepted, so lines are drawn in the sand somewhere. This means that our WL is an "active" waitlist; movement does happen (don't have exact numbers but I believe close to 50 of the 200 are ultimately extended offers). With a lot of schools wielding new and attractive finaid ventures, I'll be curious to see if this results in more WL movement – but that's just naive speculation.

I know these are just words and rejection does sting, but I genuinely wish you all the best going forward and hope you keep us in mind for residency (or MPH!). My #1 choice for med school – my hometown uni that I did all my clinical volunteering with – rejected me straight up, no interview at all. Sometimes I still wrack my brain going "what did I do wrong?" The only thing I can say about this process is that it is unpredictable. College admissions, med school, residency, fellowship, jobs, etc.
Do you have any advice on how to get off the waitlist?

Accepted! I honestly can't believe it! Interviewed in January. Got the email telling me to check my portal today around 11am Eastern.

Reactions: 2 users
Do you have any advice on how to get off the waitlist?

No ideas short of the usual, alas.

Send a letter of intent if you genuinely would take Hopkins over all your other options, even if another pending waitlist comes through. If you're still weighing ideas, I suppose you could send a letter of interest. I honestly have no idea how the waitlist here is organized, sorry!

And to all those leaning away from Hopkins, be sure to drop in a timely fashion! I know this year is different with the traffic options, but just be mindful of people who might be waiting to hear from their dream school – and for some – their one and only acceptance. Getting off the WL for your dream school is great regardless of the timing, but it makes life a lot easier if this news comes sooner rather than a week away from matriculation.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to attend only part of Second Look weekend? I can only attend the first 2 days, but really want to check out Hopkins and Baltimore without being in interview survival mode.

Does anyone know if we're allowed to attend only part of Second Look weekend? I can only attend the first 2 days, but really want to check out Hopkins and Baltimore without being in interview survival mode.
I would probably call admissions to confirm; but when I rsvp'd, the Google form had an option for all the days you'd attend for second look.

Reactions: 1 user
Are there any current students in this thread that I can talk to about aid?

Of course! You don't need to attend the full shebang.

Are there any current students in this thread that I can talk to about aid?
Yo, what's up?

Hey everyone! I just wanted to chime in with my experience to let you all know that there is DEFINITELY a chance to get in if you are waitlisted! Around this time last year I was waitlisted at Hopkins and found myself without a single acceptance to any medical school. I had been waitlisted at every single school that I interviewed at. If any of you feel frustrated, hard done by, or have any mix of emotions, I truly do relate. I honestly lost track of the number of times I cried myself to sleep. As I began to start the reapplication process, I kept updating Hopkins about my activities and made my interest in attending very, very clear. Now, I am an MS1 here at Hopkins and I still can't believe it some times.

I wanted to share this experience to let you all know that getting waitlisted is absolutely not the end, and that if you make your interest clear and keep the admissions committee updated, you can definitely get in. A very solid chunk of my class came off the waitlist like me! Keep the faith! You all are truly exceptional people, and if you are being considered here, then you are also exceptional candidates! I wish the best of luck to you all!

Reactions: 9 users
hi guys - is the statement of intent binding? i am always confused by these... it says i have until april 10 to sign it

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys - is the statement of intent binding? i am always confused by these... it says i have until april 10 to sign it
Wait what is 'it'? Is there an official form for statement of intent??

Withdrawing, hope the spot goes to someone here :)

Reactions: 5 users
Hey everyone! I just wanted to chime in with my experience to let you all know that there is DEFINITELY a chance to get in if you are waitlisted! Around this time last year I was waitlisted at Hopkins and found myself without a single acceptance to any medical school. I had been waitlisted at every single school that I interviewed at. If any of you feel frustrated, hard done by, or have any mix of emotions, I truly do relate. I honestly lost track of the number of times I cried myself to sleep. As I began to start the reapplication process, I kept updating Hopkins about my activities and made my interest in attending very, very clear. Now, I am an MS1 here at Hopkins and I still can't believe it some times.

I wanted to share this experience to let you all know that getting waitlisted is absolutely not the end, and that if you make your interest clear and keep the admissions committee updated, you can definitely get in. A very solid chunk of my class came off the waitlist like me! Keep the faith! You all are truly exceptional people, and if you are being considered here, then you are also exceptional candidates! I wish the best of luck to you all!

hey thanks so much for the kind words... eases my anxiety as i wait for WL movement. i sent you a pm asking about what kind of updates you made, if you get a chance to look at it, that would rock

Were you as underwhelmed by your FA package as I was?

Haha, I actually received full tuition plus some living expenses, but I have a much better financial aid offer at one of JHU's peer institutions, so I'm going to matriculate there :)

Haha, I actually received full tuition plus some living expenses, but I have a much better financial aid offer at one of JHU's peer institutions, so I'm going to matriculate there :)
Ah, well congratulations then!

For those who have received financial aid packages, did you receive them by email or was it a portal update?

Ok thanks! How long was the turnaround between submitting the application and receiving the package?
I finished it end of February and got the package last week.

For those of us who were alternate listed - do they send wait-list information at the end of April or?

For those who went, how did people find second look weekend? Have your impressions of the school or student body changed/stayed the same since interviewing?

For those who went, how did people find second look weekend? Have your impressions of the school or student body changed/stayed the same since interviewing?
I liked Second look way more than interiview day. I'd say for me it had it's ups and downs. Hopkins as an institution was fantastic but compared to my other second look (NYC), Baltimore definitely not as appealing. If choose here, it'll take some getting used to especially with things like finding housing and figuring out which areas are safer to live in (Fells Point and My Vernon seem to be where most students live).

The students were all very nice and welcoming. Honestly, I was surprised how enthusiastic the 1st years were since they had a neuro exam today so respect the dedication.

Hey everyone, long time lurker and on the alternate list. Did anyone at second look get a feel for how many people would attend the school or how much the waitlist might move?

Is anyone on the alternate list sending in an update letter of some form? The email we got kinda made it sound like we shouldn't send in any (where it said "You do not need to submit any additional recommendations or other documents to the Admissions Office.") but I'm not sure if additional documents is referring specifically to things like LORs? I have a nice update to send but don't want to send it if it'll be superfluous/frowned upon.

If we are going to commit here, does anyone know if there is a Hopkins-specific tool to indicate this besides the AAMC Choose your School tool? Other schools had options in the application portal but I don't see any for Hopkins

Withdrew from here yesterday. There's a whole lot scholarship money to give away now. Good luck everyone.

Just got off the waitlist!!!! So ecstatic!!

Reactions: 7 users
Was the acceptance off the waitlist delivered via email or phone call?

Well from the FB group (i saw it through a friend of mine who got accepted) it seems like they accepted 8 people from the waitlist. Due to the new traffic rules, perhaps this is all the movement we will see. I wish you all the best of luck whenever you already got accepted, you will be great doctors!

Well from the FB group (i saw it through a friend of mine who got accepted) it seems like they accepted 8 people from the waitlist. Due to the new traffic rules, perhaps this is all the movement we will see. I wish you all the best of luck whenever you already got accepted, you will be great doctors!
What do you mean “due to new traffic rules”? In the past, haven’t they accepted people off of the waitlist all summer?

Hey everyone, long time lurker. I just got off the waitlist this morning about half an hour ago via phone call! The waitlist is still moving, don't give up hope!

Reactions: 7 users
What do you mean “due to new traffic rules”? In the past, haven’t they accepted people off of the waitlist all summer?

I was just basing myself on the logic that since they can know who is going to commit or not already the waitlist movement might happen faster and might be done by the end of this month. This is just a conjecture of course.

just got off of the waitlist... can’t believe it, had rlly given up hope this late in the game... anybody have an idea how generous they r with fin aid?

Congratulations! I can't speak for other people, but my financial aid was very generous. Someone mentioned it earlier, but apparently Hopkins is very helpful to those with siblings in college, which is the case for me.
just got off of the waitlist... can’t believe it, had rlly given up hope this late in the game... anybody have an idea how generous they r with fin aid?