2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Completed app for MD/PhD email recieved today

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Heyo all – I personally wouldn't worry about the complete notifications (it took me over a month to get mine way back in the day and this trend has been fairly variable throughout the years). The switch to the new AMCAS platform has also thrown many programs for a loop, so it's going to take a while for everyone to figure out the system. However, the interview season at Hopkins is ramping up and I hope folks are excited for their visit!

That said, please feel free to bump the thread with any questions or concerns. I'm a MS4, so just a disclaimer that any info I can provide for pre-clinicals (which have undergone some changes since my time) will be out of date. Your best bet will be to solicit MS1-2 opinions at the pre-interview night Greeters event. Casually working on research/residency stuff this weekend, so just holler.

Reactions: 4 users
Just received the Secondary Complete email from them. Submitted the secondary on 7/24. Only had a small heart attack when I saw an email from JHU SOM.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
II today as well! Secondary submitted 7/15, complete email 8/15. So excited!

Reactions: 5 users
marked complete today - submitted 7/16

congrats to everyone who got II today:)

It seems to me that Johns Hopkins starts to announce final decisions mid-December (i.e. non-rolling). Given this, do you guys think it matters when the actual interview date is, as long as it is before December? I am seeing a couple of September spots, but it's not possible for me to make those dates because of other interviews. Do you think that having the interview in September vs. October would make a great difference?

It seems to me that Johns Hopkins starts to announce final decisions mid-December (i.e. non-rolling). Given this, do you guys think it matters when the actual interview date is, as long as it is before December? I am seeing a couple of September spots, but it's not possible for me to make those dates because of other interviews. Do you think that having the interview in September vs. October would make a great difference?
I don't think so, pick what's best for you; that way you can have more time to prep as well

Members don't see this ad :)

No difference! There is no set quota for accepting folks from a specific day/month.

Reactions: 1 users
Also got an II yesterday. What dates are showing up as available for other people who got one? I am only seeing two early september ones and can't make it to either...

Also got an II yesterday. What dates are showing up as available for other people who got one? I am only seeing two early september ones and can't make it to either...

I had the same issue. I emailed the scheduling person and she was super nice and pretty much let me pick whatever date I wanted

Is there any difference for when you receive the interview offer? Like is an earlier ii beneficial? I submitted with all my letters late July and am still not marked complete, while other people who submitted around the same time are not only complete but already receiving ii’s. This is the only school I’m not complete at but it was also one of the earliest secondaries I submitted!

I wouldn't fret; the completion process has been variable and I don't know the nuts-and-bolts of it. It took me a fair while to get "complete" back in the day; submitted everything ASAP, got an invite early Oct, interviewed mid-Oct. This was actually my second to last interview, because I had submitted my primary day one and secondaries right upon receiving them. That said, many of my friends submitted early, got winter interviews (sometimes as late as Feb), and are among the best in the class. Anecdotally, my class seems to have a fairly even spread of when people were accepted. The semi-rolling system makes things pretty balanced.

Expect IIs to roll out as the year progresses and the first final verdicts (A, WL, pre-II R, post-II R) in December. It's a waiting game, so get out there and try to enjoy your non-app cycle lives!

Got an II as well! Complete mid-July.

Just to clarify a confusion on my part: I realized that I sent in my application mid-July but received the "application complete" email on 8/14. I apologize for the error.

Just received an II! Received the complete email on Monday.

Does anyone know how formal the greeter's event is the night before the interview?

Does anyone know how formal the greeter's event is the night before the interview?
Super casual. Think MS1-2s in their studying garb and a big box of Welch's fruit snacks.

Reposting from their Facebook:

"Greetings,

We have just about concluded the first week of interviews. If the rest ofthe year is anything like today, we will have a tough time narrowing our acceptance offers to a small percentage of our applicants. The students we saw yesterday and today were a great group: they had major leadership, service, significant research and clinical experience and outstanding academics from a truly wide range of colleges and universities.

There are approximately 23 more weeks of interviews to go and we are excited to see yet another year of outstanding applicants. Good luck to all of you and thank you for your applications to Hopkins!

The Admissions Office"

Reactions: 4 users
For people who are complete, do you still see "Application Status: Submitted" in the portal? I submitted 7/21, got the complete email 8/21, but the portal hasn't changed for me.

I remember reading something in past forums about a social with current students plus snacks on the night prior to the interview day. Just wanted to confirm whether those with an II have heard anything about this for this year?

I remember reading something in past forums about a social with current students plus snacks on the night prior to the interview day. Just wanted to confirm whether those with an II have heard anything about this for this year?

There is! If you already have an II email, there should be a document attached and the information for the pre-interview social is there.

Got the complete email today. Committee letter and everything was in by 8/7.

II just now!! AHHH!!! LizzyM 78, OOS :) So pumped, I hope I get to meet some of you guys!

Reactions: 7 users
I submitted 8/1 with no complete email yet, should I call them?

I submitted 8/1 with no complete email yet, should I call them?
It took me (and I believe several others) over a month to be marked complete, so I think you're ok! If you don't get one by the end of next week then maybe I would call. But also I don't think calling would hurt (I also don't think it will speed anything along though) if you're really worried about it.

It took me (and I believe several others) over a month to be marked complete, so I think you're ok! If you don't get one by the end of next week then maybe I would call. But also I don't think calling would hurt (I also don't think it will speed anything along though) if you're really worried about it.
Thanks! I’ll wait till the end of next week then

Just got an interview here!!! I'm honestly amazed because my stats were high but my EC's were kinda general. I did work really hard on the secondary though

Reactions: 10 users
II just now too! got complete email 8.28, submitted late July

Reactions: 3 users
Any Canadian students hear from Johns Hopkins? Based on the threads it seems that Canadian applications are reviewed later than the rest.
Canadian applicant here, I just received an II earlier today. Email for complete app received 8/20

Reactions: 5 users
Holy crap my mind is literally melting right now. II here this morning. Complete email was received 8/14 and submitted my app about a month earlier.

Reactions: 8 users
Holy crap my mind is literally melting right now. II here this morning. Complete email was received 8/14 and submitted my app about a month earlier.

Ooh ive been seeing you on a lot of the same school threads, what day did you pick? Maybe we'll run into each other haha

Just received II! Absolutely can't believe it. LizzyM 80+, complete 8/20, not URM

Anyone who submitted 8/1 or later get a complete email yet? Thinking about calling them this Monday if so