2018-2019 Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got my first R here from the MSTP :(

They didn't even email me lol, it was in the portal.

Complete 8/6

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks so much! And do you know what year typically the medical students are that conduct the interviews? Are they the same MS4s in the room?

They're all MS4 and admission committee members, so one of them will randomly pull you from the "fishbowl" to interview.

I remember being dead tired and stuffing myself with cookies during my fishbowl, so as long as you're polite, relaxed, and mingle well you should be golden – please don't try and sell your app or anything during the fishbowl (IMHO).

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
II too!!! Dates available were very end of November through early December, Thursdays and Fridays only

Reactions: 9 users
Question: it seems like Hopkins tends to review applications in batches by complete date, with most people in a batch hearing back around the same time, though some have apparently heard back months later. Does this order reflect how strong your application is or nah?

Does anyone know the post-interview acceptance rate?

Roughly 1/3 IIRC? (This was back in ye olde 2014, so will have to snoop around and see if the number has changed).

Any advice or feedback on how interview day is here? The SDN feedback for this school is very lacking in recent years. The two people who left feedback in 2017 left most of it blank and the other feedback is all the way from 2013 or earlier.

People who have already interviewed/current med students, would you recommend doing the residence tour or nah?

People who have already interviewed/current med students, would you recommend doing the residence tour or nah?

Found this golden post in the last years thread...

"Interview day impression:

I interviewed last week and thought I would share my experience with you all (especially to dispel any anxiety regarding the "fish bowl"). First of all, I did not take advantage of the student host program or the greeter's program so I can't speak on that.

Housing Tour:
I started my day with the housing tour, which was very brief. The agent took us to a four bedroom apartment (which is the most common plan). It has 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 1 kitchen. The rooms are a bit small for my taste; it definitely felt like dorms from undergrad. It's super close to campus and starbucks (if you're not satisfied with the free coffee that they provide) and seems like a good community of Hopkins affiliated med students. With parking, the rent would come out to a little over $1000/ month, which is considered expensive by Baltimore standards. Also, the place is a bit of a food desert, so you will have a hard time getting groceries if you don't have a car. All in all, I can't imagine living elsewhere if I chose to attend Hopkins, just for the sake of convenience.

Check-In:
The check-in is at 11AM (every med school should do this!) which was fantastic. We got a brief run-down medical program by the associate dean. Some highlights: their genes to society curriculum really emphasizes social determinants of health. If you're into health disparities, I think you'll really appreciate the curriculum. Financial aid came in to talk about $$. Main takeaway, Hopkins grads take out less loans compared to other private schools, due to cheaper cost of living in Baltimore and aids given by the office.

Lunch:
We had lunch with a faculty member and some medical students, who were also our tour guides. I sat close to the faculty and had a fantastic time. He does research in the pediatric field and you can just tell how passionate he is about the work that he does. The students also talked about all the activities that they are involved in. Big takeway: 100% of students at Hopkins are involved in research; I think someone said 96% get published before graduation (big plus for me).

Campus/Hospital Tour:
The student tour guides showed us the facilities. I really liked how the school is broken down into the four colleges (there's definitely friendly rivalry between the colleges, which was adorable :p) We got to meet more students. Everyone seems really genuine and down-to-earth. We also got a brief tour of the hospital and all the history that's associated with it. There's so much history to Hopkins, it's ridiculous. For instance, the term medical "resident" originated at Hopkins, the first HeLa sample was taken at the hospital here, etc... It will definitely be an inspiring place to train.

Interview/ Fishbowl:
There were two interviews: one with faculty and the other with student, both open file. Whenever you're not interviewing, you are sitting with the other applicants and 4th year medical students in the "fishbowl" where you're just having casual conversations. I loved loved loved my interviewers, both the students and faculty. I can tell that they both read my application thoroughly and displayed genuine interest in the activities that I took part in and my motivation to pursue a career in medicine. My faculty interviewer also told me that they get to pick which applicant to interview, so I definitely get the sense that your interviewers have already selected you and will be your advocate, given that you open up about yourself and articulate your thoughts well. And of course, the dreaded fishbowl... I read about how tense it's going to be in previous SDN posts and heard about how stressful it was going to be from a fellow applicant in the morning. It's really just a casual conversation - treat it as such! The 4th year med students conducting the interview were super chill and absolutely no one was taking notes. The fishbowl is a great opportunity to ask questions about the Hopkins experience, living at Baltimore, etc... Plus, all the 4th years are in the process of residency interviews so I felt like I was in the same boat as them (sort of). Anyways, the fishbowl was very informal and I got to learn a lot about student life at Hopkins through it.

Overall, I had a great time. Unlike other programs where I have interviewed at, Hopkins doesn't try to actively sell itself or talk up their program. Everything and everyone seems genuine and in their place.

For those of you interviewing soon or hoping for an invitation to interview here, best of luck! I'm rooting for you all!"

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just to clarify any myths: student interviewers may not necessarily be able to pick their interviewee – all depends on scheduling and availability. Don't be upset if you get someone who you think shares no commonalities with your app/alma mater/specialty interests! They are interviewing you because they genuinely want to get to know you!

From the info on their website it looks to be around 41%

Correct – just looked it up. About 33% outright accepted (200ish) and then ~40% overall when you factor in WL (200 + 50ish off WL).

II yesterday!! complete late sept but submitted late july. many more to be sent out I'm sure :)

Reactions: 3 users
II yesterday, super excited! Complete email received mid-Sept

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone sent an update letter (new pubs, etc) to Hopkins? Their portal doesn't seem to have an option to do so. Their website mentions specifically that "The JHUSOM Office of Admissions does not accept updates to your AMCAS application", but that seems to be in the context of correcting errors on the primary, rather than adding new info months down the road.

Anyone more informed than I am?

Has anyone sent an update letter (new pubs, etc) to Hopkins? Their portal doesn't seem to have an option to do so. Their website mentions specifically that "The JHUSOM Office of Admissions does not accept updates to your AMCAS application", but that seems to be in the context of correcting errors on the primary, rather than adding new info months down the road.

I believe we would just send it to Valerie Mazza in the admissions office

I just told my interviewer about a pub and he added it in his notes

I believe we would just send it to Valerie Mazza in the admissions office

Correct – route to admissions office. (Post interview updates only!).

II just now! application was marked complete in mid Sept.

Reactions: 7 users
II around noon! Marked complete 9/17

Reactions: 5 users
Can any current students comment on safety/security in Baltimore (specifically where the med school is located)? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thank you! :)

Can any current students comment on safety/security in Baltimore (specifically where the med school is located)? I would really appreciate hearing your thoughts. Thank you! :)

I interviewed here and the students there told me just like anywhere else as long as you're not walking around at 2 am on your own in a sketchy area it's fine. They have pretty good security on campus as well.

Did anyone get checked out from Hopkins on LinkedIn?

why did you ask that? Did you feel liked you'd been checked out?

Anybody else have problems with the student hosting site not loading correctly? Trying to plan my next

Does anyone know if Hopkins gives out merit scholarships or any other significant financial aid?

no merit money but from what I've heard very good need-based aid
Thank you! Do you know if they have internal ranking and AOA? Still trying to decide if I am going to accept the interview offer here.

Thank you! Do you know if they have internal ranking and AOA? Still trying to decide if I am going to accept the interview offer here.

Nope, they have true pass/fail because as they put it, residency programs know their students will all be great so no need for that stuff.

Reactions: 2 users
If I haven’t gotten rejected or II yet, does this mean I’ll probably get rejected later on? This was my dream school :( complete mid July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

II received on 10/10, was complete late July, Lizzy M 81.5, the dates they had available were in December on fridays

II received today, complete 9/18, dates rn are early january

Reactions: 9 users
II today, complete mid August. Only dates were in mid January. Anyone know how much of a disadvantage a mid January interview will be?

Reactions: 3 users
II today, complete mid August. Only dates were in mid January. Anyone know how much of a disadvantage a mid January interview will be?

If i remember correctly they send out acceptances once in december and then again in february? I think you'd miss out on the first batch but shouldn't have any disadvantages since they probably have a balanced way of doing both.

Reactions: 1 users

No disadvantage; Hopkins is semi-rolling and there's a pretty equitable distribution of acceptances per release batches.

Also a huge component of my class are WL admits; it's been 4 years and I'm continually finding out more and more of my peers were late spring (or summer!) admits. Literally no difference between the WL students and the straight admits either.

No disadvantage; Hopkins is semi-rolling and there's a pretty equitable distribution of acceptances per release batches.

Also a huge component of my class are WL admits; it's been 4 years and I'm continually finding out more and more of my peers were late spring (or summer!) admits. Literally no difference between the WL students and the straight admits either.
That's good to hear. Getting off a WL would be rough though with all the last minute planning, financial stuff, finding an apartment, etc.

If I haven’t gotten rejected or II yet, does this mean I’ll probably get rejected later on? This was my dream school :( complete mid July

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No this doesn't mean you will get rejected :) I have friends who were in your situation and they got an interview later on! Remember that Hopkins is semi-rolling not completely rolling so don't lose hope yet! :D

No this doesn't mean you will get rejected :) I have friends who were in your situation and they got an interview later on! Remember that Hopkins is semi-rolling not completely rolling so don't lose hope yet! :D
i don't have high hopes for hopkins but do we know historically when they usually stop sending out IIs?

Reactions: 1 users