2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A few questions for current/former students. I am hoping to have a better idea before the interview.

1. How easy is it for students to participate in current research or begin their own through a mentor?
2. What opportunities are there for students to volunteer in community health clinics?
3. Can students start new organizations? Looking at different schools, you see different organizations/activities and I was curious what it would take to start a new organization on campus.
4. If an academic need arises, does the program have resources available for students?
5. Do students travel between campuses in their first two years?
6. For students in clerkship years, how do students select locations for core rotations? I see a list of participating programs on the site and I am curious what these sites offer. Do students usually receive their top choices?

Sorry, if any of these are repeats from previous OP's.

Thanks all.
1. Couldn't tell you, I do know there is a few opportunities but you are mostly on your own.
2. Plenty. Can't super go into detail here though.
3. Yes and no, here in Joplin we have several clubs being started this year.
4. Oh yes. All sorts
5. NOPE
6. From what I understand, its similar to residency match but i could be crazy,

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello!
I was invited for an interview last week but have not yet scheduled it. Can anyone shed some insight on if they had more interview dates pop up on their portal? So far I have only seen dates within 4 weeks which I'm sadly unable to make work at the moment. Any insight would be great. Really hoping to interview here :D.
Thanks!

Hello!
I was invited for an interview last week but have not yet scheduled it. Can anyone shed some insight on if they had more interview dates pop up on their portal? So far I have only seen dates within 4 weeks which I'm sadly unable to make work at the moment. Any insight would be great. Really hoping to interview here :D.
Thanks!

Invited earlier in the cycle. there were only Joplin dates so I waited about a week and half. Eventually new ones popped up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Invited earlier in the cycle. there were only Joplin dates so I waited about a week and half. Eventually new ones popped up.

I remember within half an hour of being invited to interview via email, I went to the portal and there were many Joplin dates/times available but only one Kansas City slot left. Then after a few minutes I refreshed and literally the Kansas City slot was taken and gone, and only Joplin dates/times remained.

I guess it really doesn't matter since it has no effect on your acceptance decision. It's just a lot cheaper/less hassle to fly into the Kansas City airport than Joplin.

A few questions for current/former students. I am hoping to have a better idea before the interview.

1. How easy is it for students to participate in current research or begin their own through a mentor?
2. What opportunities are there for students to volunteer in community health clinics?
3. Can students start new organizations? Looking at different schools, you see different organizations/activities and I was curious what it would take to start a new organization on campus.
4. If an academic need arises, does the program have resources available for students?
5. Do students travel between campuses in their first two years?
6. For students in clerkship years, how do students select locations for core rotations? I see a list of participating programs on the site and I am curious what these sites offer. Do students usually receive their top choices?

Sorry, if any of these are repeats from previous OP's.

Thanks all.

To elaborate with a little more experience (and knowledge of how rotations work):

1. It can be tough, I won't lie to you. I've heard people say in the past that the curriculum doesn't leave much space for research, but I don't know how true this is compared to other schools. Basically, because KCU is not a research university, and focuses almost all of its energy on the academics, extra opportunities like that are not accounted for. If you want to do it, you have to go find it. That being said, it can be done. One of my friends just emailed physicians and asked what he could get in on. Your advisor (especially clinical faculty members) can also potentially refer you.
2. The only clinic per se that is officially affiliated with the school (KC campus specifically) only takes a limited number of student workers from each class. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they only take about 30 students per class. Joplin has a huge advantage in this, since they are the only med school in the area, so they get a lot more early clinical experience. This, for me, was a major disappointment. However, there are other opportunities to do health screenings and such, primarily through Score 1 (see here for more details: Score 1 for Health). I personally have a blast doing Score 1. My only wish is that we got more exposure to it in first year. But in second year, we've already had three different screenings, and have three more this month alone.
3. It's a process to start one, since I think you have to get enough potential members interested, but definitely doable. Last year, my class started at least two that I can think of off the top of my head.
4. Our professors, academic advisors, and learning enhancement staff are all really great. We also have tutoring available for all of the systems courses and OMM during first year.
5. Once again - not at all. We are "one cohort," but your campus is your campus. Joplin students did come up a few weeks ago for a core site/residency fair and homecoming in the same day, which I guess technically counts because it was required of them to attend the fair. Other than that, never.
6. We just got a big talk on this a few weeks ago, so I'll try to be detailed, but somewhat concise. The clinical education team is constantly working out contracts and agreements for core sites, so they do vary a little bit from year to year, and ones that we keep may have more or fewer spots available. Once the list is set for the year, they release a bunch of information detailing the unique characteristics of each site. Not sure exactly what that entails yet, but I imagine things like how many spots, whether you work with residents, available elective rotations, etc. After this, the committee (made up of three students drawn from each campus's SG) typically chooses to do a straw poll, so you can get an idea of how many people in your class are interested in each site. Sometime after that, we submit our rankings, along with letters and possible documentation as to why you need or deserve to be at a certain site. We also have honors tracks (Specialty Honors Tracks) that are being applied for and selected at the same time. If you apply for an honors track, you must rank KC as your #1 choice, since that is where they are all based. Because of this, Joplin students are allowed to come to KC for rotations if they are in an honors track. By sometime in January, we all should know where we're ending up. From what I've heard, you rank your top three as you please, and a fourth from a list of sites that had little interest, as a safety spot. Essentially, as long as you're smart and don't rank three super popular sites, you will match to one that you ranked. They try to give as many people as possible their top choice, so if your second and third choices have 10 spots each and 10 or more ranked them first, you are never ever going to get it. Every site has its pros and cons, just be smart and don't rank them solely on where you think might be a cool place to live, or some other arbitrary reason.

Reactions: 4 users
The interview was different. I did not feel that great after it was done.

Joplin campus was beautiful. Students, professors, and staff were great. Solid day. Would love to attend, here’s to hoping it didn’t go as bad as I thought it did.

Good luck to everyone.

The interview was different. I did not feel that great after it was done.

Joplin campus was beautiful. Students, professors, and staff were great. Solid day. Would love to attend, here’s to hoping it didn’t go as bad as I thought it did.

Good luck to everyone.
If you saw people at the cookie bar with Playdoh that was me at some point

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone feel like their interview part went bad and you received an acceptance this year? Feeling a bit disappointed but hopeful.

Anyone feel like their interview part went bad and you received an acceptance this year? Feeling a bit disappointed but hopeful.
I did and it worked out BUT this year is a new interview format. That could change things

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

I did and it worked out BUT this year is a new interview format. That could change things

Sent from my SM-G892A using SDN mobile

Yeah, this new format was not what I expected. It was not my friend. I am pretty sure it kicked my butt, at least part of it. I felt like a dear in headlights for some of it.

Yeah, this new format was not what I expected. It was not my friend. I am pretty sure it kicked my butt, at least part of it. I felt like a dear in headlights for some of it.
Are you allowed to discuss it or did you sign a NDA?

I heard it was essentially an MMI, is that correct?

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard it was essentially an MMI, is that correct?
It is not an MMI. There has been misinformation spreading about it being an MMI format and in my honest opinion it is not. Having done an MMI at a previous interview the one at KCUCOM is different in a good way. The MMI i did was very stressful where the interview here was very relaxed and conversational.

Reactions: 1 users
It is not an MMI. There has been misinformation spreading about it being an MMI format and in my honest opinion it is not. Having done an MMI at a previous interview the one at KCUCOM is different in a good way. The MMI i did was very stressful where the interview here was very relaxed and conversational.
Completely agree!

Are you allowed to discuss it or did you sign a NDA?

Cannot discuss details, read above to get the gist of it from others. It wasn’t what I prepared for, that’s all. It caught me off guard and I dont think I responded that well. Straight up disappointed because the school seemed great and would fit with what I was looking for in a community program. Frustrated with myself.

Cannot discuss details, read above to get the gist of it from others. It wasn’t what I prepared for, that’s all. It caught me off guard and I dont think I responded that well. Straight up disappointed because the school seemed great and would fit with what I was looking for in a community program. Frustrated with myself.
Relax. Were you yourself during the questions? That's what they are looking for.

For those who have been accepted - when is the deposit to hold your seat due and how much is it? Trying to figure out if/when I should interview

For those who have been accepted - when is the deposit to hold your seat due and how much is it? Trying to figure out if/when I should interview
For last year, it was 1k by AACOMAS traffic date and another 1k by May 1st.

For last year, it was 1k by AACOMAS traffic date and another 1k by May 1st.

Thank you! So if my interview is October 19th, I probably won't hear before November 15th. Which means if they follow the AACOMAS traffic guidelines, I'd likely have 30 days to submit a deposit after an acceptance. Good to know!

Relax. Were you yourself during the questions? That's what they are looking for.

Yeah, I was myself but that didn’t make my responses any better. I felt they were poor at times but we are our own worst critic.

Trying to relax. Thanks for the thoughts. I am hoping it works out at the end.

Yeah, I was myself but that didn’t make my responses any better. I felt they were poor at times but we are our own worst critic.

Don’t overthink it. KCU is known for screening pretty thoroughly both pre-secondary and then again pre-interview; if you got an interview, they like you and want to have you as a student. That’s why the post-II acceptance rate is so high. So as long as you were yourself and didn’t say something completely out of line, you should be fine. I know it’s hard but just try not to overthink it!

Reactions: 4 users
Don’t overthink it. KCU is known for screening pretty thoroughly both pre-secondary and then again pre-interview; if you got an interview, they like you and want to have you as a student. That’s why the post-II acceptance rate is so high. So as long as you were yourself and didn’t say something completely out of line, you should be fine. I know it’s hard but just try not to overthink it!

Well, here is to hoping that I didn’t say something that was considered out of line and that I made the cut. Crossing fingers and waiting.

Interviewed last week, was told 4-6 weeks but im guessing they will review everyone from September interviews this and next week and send out a huge batch of acceptances by the end of the month for all Sept interview dates

Interviewed last week, was told 4-6 weeks but im guessing they will review everyone from September interviews this and next week and send out a huge batch of acceptances by the end of the month for all Sept interview dates
Agreed! Based on previous threads, the first acceptances should roll out next week sometime between Wednesday and Friday!

Secondary was completed August 31. Anyone get an II after about a month's time?

I was complete 9/19.
How long did it take for some of y’all to get an II?
I was complete Aug 21 and got an II Aug 24 and interviewed Oct 3rd though there were earlier options, however, based on what I have seen that was a quick turn around. I have found that for most admissions the average turn around is about 1 month or more. I honestly wouldn't worry it is still early in the cycle, but I know that's hard to get yourself to believe with all that anxiety! Also, my stats are fairly average.

Anyone been checking the portal often recently? I just got an II today but didn't really like the available dates. I scheduled one anyway just to get one of the dates but does anyone know if other dates are opening for either campuses if I keep checking the portal?

EDIT: Also I selected no preference on the AACOMAS primary. Do we know where we're going to be placed pre-interview or is that something you're told post-acceptance?

Last edited:
I was complete 9/19.
How long did it take for some of y’all to get an II?
it’s still very early for you. I was complete on 8/29 and got the II on 9/24. Don’t worry even if it doesn’t come in the next couple weeks either. It’s very early in the cycle.

Anyone been checking the portal often recently? I just got an II today but didn't really like the available dates. I scheduled one anyway just to get one of the dates but does anyone know if other dates are opening for either campuses if I keep checking the portal?

EDIT: Also I selected no preference on the AACOMAS primary. Do we know where we're going to be placed pre-interview or is that something you're told post-acceptance?
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if there's any leniency about a switch of my interview from KC to Joplin? I got another interview invite elsewhere and Joplin would be much more convenient, if possible.

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone know if there's any leniency about a switch of my interview from KC to Joplin? I got another interview invite elsewhere and Joplin would be much more convenient, if possible.
Doesn't hurt to call

For those who interviewed Sep 8th, we hear back this week right?

For those who interviewed Sep 8th, we hear back this week right?

I’m pretty sure it’s next week, not this week. They said 6 weeks apparently so this week will only be the 5th.

I’m pretty sure it’s next week, not this week. They said 6 weeks apparently so this week will only be the 5th.

Ugghhhh ok. From the previous year's portals it looked like they heard back week 5 so still hoping that happens again. Really want to hear back & potentially cancel interviews this week

Ugghhhh ok. From the previous year's portals it looked like they heard back week 5 so still hoping that happens again. Really want to hear back & potentially cancel interviews this week
Patience!

I checked previous as well and I am pretty sure they got it on the 6th week as well, I may be wrong tho.

have an interview at kcucom next week and I live 3 hours away. I could technically come down that morning, but I kinda want to come the night before. Would a current student be willing to put me up for a night? I'll pay you in food and wine!

Sent from my SM-N900P using SDN mobile

I submitted my primary for this school on the 24th of Sep, but have not received a secondary. I even got that mass email they send out stating I would be a perfect candidate (not a big deal, I know, but I guess that means I am above the cutoff). Did it take this long for anyone else?

I submitted my primary for this school on the 24th of Sep, but have not received a secondary. I even got that mass email they send out stating I would be a perfect candidate (not a big deal, I know, but I guess that means I am above the cutoff). Did it take this long for anyone else?
It took about 6 weeks after submitting my application for me to get their secondary.