2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any current Joplin students willing to answer a few questions?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Renting a car from Springfield-Branson Airport for this Saturday’s AM interview. Let me know if you want to tag along and I’d be more than happy to give rides!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many interviewers interview the applicants ?
and what is the style of the interview ?

I have an interview on Saturday so any help would be appreciated

How many interviewers interview the applicants ?
and what is the style of the interview ?

I have an interview on Saturday so any help would be appreciated

I imagine that will vary depending on how many applicants are there on that particular day. It seemed as if we had ~15 interviewers on my day.

I imagine that will vary depending on how many applicants are there on that particular day. It seemed as if we had ~15 interviewers on my day.

Thank you for your reply.

And by how many people were you interviewed and for how long ?

Thank you

I received an email saying that all Kansas City campus spots are filled with a survey to change campus preference. Does that mean I am being considered for an interview and changing the campus preference to Joplin might result in an interview invite? or this email is sent to everybody?

I received an email saying that all Kansas City campus spots are filled with a survey to change campus preference. Does that mean I am being considered for an interview and changing the campus preference to Joplin might result in an interview invite? or this email is sent to everybody?
I would venture a guess it's sent to everybody.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this mean those that interviewed already and are waiting to hear back are only going to be considered for waitlist?

Does this mean those that interviewed already and are waiting to hear back are only going to be considered for waitlist?
Maybe you'll be accepted to the joplin campus since the email is saying all kansas city campus spots are filled not Joplin's ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using SDN mobile

I highly doubt that... Just seems like a stretch this early in the cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Maybe you'll be accepted to the joplin campus since the email is saying all kansas city campus spots are filled not Joplin's ?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using SDN mobile
I highly doubt that... Just seems like a stretch this early in the cycle.

I was thinking it would be early for this to be the case also, I selected KC only as a campus preference.

My LM was 63, you got this! I had a big upswing because I f'd up from 2008-2012. Don't worry, you're gonna kill it!
Thank you, trying real hard to stay positive. Did you get accepted? When did you interview

I got that email as well. However they said all the interview spots have been filled not actual campus seats!!!

Just paid my $1000 acceptance fee. RIP my bank account. +pity+

Reactions: 6 users
Just paid my $1000 acceptance fee. RIP my bank account. +pity+

I am holding off another week or two. Cheers to draining accounts this year. Although, not a bad way to ring in the New Year.

Reactions: 4 users
I am holding off another week or two. Cheers to draining accounts this year. Although, not a bad way to ring in the New Year.

I got the status unchanged email from my state MD school today (post interview),so I likely won't have a decision from them until March. I'm not a fan of non-rolling admissions. Lol

I got the status unchanged email from my state MD school today (post interview),so I likely won't have a decision from them until March. I'm not a fan of non-rolling admissions. Lol

Frankly, I don't mind rolling admissions but the rules should change a bit for DO to make it less of a business. It's petty to have students put down deposits $1000+ (some as high as $3000) and have it be nonrefundable. This is a sad example of careless profit in education. With the merger, DO should have changed the traffic rules to get on the same page as MD.

Reactions: 11 users
I got that email as well. However they said all the interview spots have been filled not actual campus seats!!!
Frankly, I don't mind rolling admissions but the rules should change a bit for DO to make it less of a business. It's petty to have students put down deposits $1000+ (some as high as $3000) and have it be nonrefundable. This is a sad example of careless profit in education. With the merger, DO should have changed the traffic rules to get on the same page as MD.

I wish I could like this twice.

I LIKE rolling admissions. My state MD school doesn't utilize rolling admissions. So after your interview you just wait for months unless you are in their top few applicants for the month.

In response to your other part, I agree. It hurt to place a $1000 deposit without having all admissions decisions yet. April 30th would be a significantly more realistic deadline.

I also received that email,

I looked at the match data on their website and it is very impressive, however, can anyone here clarify if the match data is only for the kansas city campus? Is it for both campuses?

Just to play devil’s advocate.. I think the super high fees are due to the fact that most DO applicants will abandon their seat for an MD program without hesitation. I’m assuming they have a much higher turnover rate, and without the traffic guidelines and high cost, people would hoard acceptances.

I get it though, I’m on the same boat.
Likely paying a second deposit, so if I get into my top choice program (MD), I would eat up over 2k.

I also received that email,

I looked at the match data on their website and it is very impressive, however, can anyone here clarify if the match data is only for the kansas city campus? Is it for both campuses?
Joplin hasn't graduated a class yet so..

Reactions: 2 users
Just to play devil’s advocate.. I think the super high fees are due to the fact that most DO applicants will abandon their seat for an MD program without hesitation. I’m assuming they have a much higher turnover rate, and without the traffic guidelines and high cost, people would hoard acceptances.

I get it though, I’m on the same boat.
Likely paying a second deposit, so if I get into my top choice program (MD), I would eat up over 2k.

I absolutely agree that's why they do it. I would also eat $2000 without hesitation. I think there should be a deadline to prevent hoarding acceptances. For instance, I chose KCU and withdrew the rest of my acceptances, but I had to place a deposit. Just like you can't have multiple MD acceptances come April 30th (or whatever the date is), there could be date (December 14th) that you can't hold multiple DO acceptances. The deposit is just a way for schools to get money, and that is unfortunate.

I absolutely agree that's why they do it. I would also eat $2000 without hesitation. I think there should be a deadline to prevent hoarding acceptances. For instance, I chose KCU and withdrew the rest of my acceptances, but I had to place a deposit. Just like you can't have multiple MD acceptances come April 30th (or whatever the date is), there could be date (December 14th) that you can't hold multiple DO acceptances. The deposit is just a way for schools to get money, and that is unfortunate.

I am not against a cutoff. I am not against a non refundable deposit at a late cutoff.

However, a non refundable $1000-3000 deposit by Dec 15 is too early in the cycle. Especially, since the cycle goes later than MD. April 30th is towards the end of a cycle so of course it makes sense to have a cutoff then and force students to decide. However, many students are accepted between Dec 15 and April 30th.

If the mentality is “we want to short change students because they have other acceptances, whether to DO or MD”, then it is even more petty and strictly “for profit”.

Reactions: 2 users

Deposits are definitely a way for schools to make money, but the school only benefits if you drop your seat. I received my $2000 deposit back with my student loans in the fall. It's there way of making sure you're serious about attending their school and yeah, it sucks financially but it's really just a drop in the bucket in the end.

Reactions: 3 users
I am not against a cutoff. I am not against a non refundable deposit at a late cutoff.

However, a non refundable $1000-3000 deposit by Dec 15 is too early in the cycle. Especially, since the cycle goes later then MD. April 30th is towards the end of a cycle so of course it makes sense to have a cutoff then and force students to decide. However, many students are accepted between Dec 15 and April 30th.

If the mentality is “we want to short change students because they have other acceptances, whether to DO or MD”, then it is even more petty and strictly “for profit”.

I agree. At the end of the day, though, I am beyond ecstatic to have this acceptance. KCU is a great school and will provide me with an excellent education. I will be equally as happy, regardless of the school. I just wish I had Christmas money. Sorry fam, not this year. Lol

Reactions: 5 users
I agree. At the end of the day, though, I am beyond ecstatic to have this acceptance. KCU is a great school and will provide me with an excellent education. I will be equally as happy, regardless of the school. I just wish I had Christmas money. Sorry fam, not this year. Lol

I very much agree.

It is the present state of the system. I do not want to tangent the point of this thread. However, I do think that things could and should be improved to benefit not only the schools but the 1000's of applicants that spend a lot of money each year hoping for an acceptance to their preferred schools. The only way to do that is through discourse.

Any idea when the class starts to figure out roommate and living situations?

does anyone know kcu's opinion of oos students? I have an II for December and I know that means I'm good enough in my gpa, mcat, and EC to be accepted, but what are my odds this late into the interview cycle?

does anyone know kcu's opinion of oos students? I have an II for December and I know that means I'm good enough in my gpa, mcat, and EC to be accepted, but what are my odds this late into the interview cycle?

No state preference. Did you set a campus preference?

Much of the class is OOS. The school is private, so there is not much IS/OOS bias that I have seen. I’m OOS.

I think KCU has a post-II acceptance rate around 70%, so odds are in your favor. Congrats on the II!

Any idea when the class starts to figure out roommate and living situations?

Both years I've been here have started the last Monday of July (31 in 2017, 30 in 2018). I have heard they're making the upcoming summer break longer for the current first years, so this may change somewhat.

Is there anyone who was complete in early-mid October that has heard back post-secondary? Still waiting to hear back from them, and I was hoping with decent enough stats that I would have heard something by now...

Is there anyone who was complete in early-mid October that has heard back post-secondary? Still waiting to hear back from them, and I was hoping with decent enough stats that I would have heard something by now...

Keep the faith. It may quiet down between the holidays.

Both years I've been here have started the last Monday of July (31 in 2017, 30 in 2018). I have heard they're making the upcoming summer break longer for the current first years, so this may change somewhat.
Nope, we just get out earlier

I applied and completed my application in response to a recruitment email mid September and heard back Mid October for an interview, but when I saw the dates they were mid November and early December. I'm assuming they want to meet on at least the first half of those interviews before they send the next round of interviews. Stay strong, maybe you'll hear the second week of December

These six weeks are killing me as a 10/24 interviewee, every time I get an email now I panic a little more...

Reactions: 5 users
These six weeks are killing me as a 10/24 interviewee, every time I get an email now I panic a little more...

I really wish schools moved a lot faster. It obviously can be done. KYCOM told me six days after and Ohio tells a lot of students the DAY OF.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile