2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The suspense is killing me and I still have a while to go!!!!! (interviewed 11/10)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Guess this week isn't gonna be it for late october interviews huh

Reactions: 1 users
Is there anyone who was complete in early-mid October that has heard back post-secondary? Still waiting to hear back from them, and I was hoping with decent enough stats that I would have heard something by now...

I was completed 10/2. Got II 2 days ago. Email them about your application and they are very quick and nice about replying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
I was completed 10/2. Got II 2 days ago. Email them about your application and they are very quick and nice about replying!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I emailed them yesterday, hopefully I hear back soon

About the same as any city its size. Plenty of shopping, etc. Great trails to hike/bike. Depending on what you want to do, there's plenty of stuff within an hour, and its fairly equidistant to several large cities for concerts/etc

2nd year here, I can also answer questions.

Is the Joplin curriculum the exact same? Like if I go to Joplin and want to go to class will it just be streamed from the KC campus all the time or will there be separate classes between campuses

Any idea when the class starts to figure out roommate and living situations?
I was probably going to start asking around in January. You can't find apartments until like 3 months before move-in anyways

Is the Joplin curriculum the exact same? Like if I go to Joplin and want to go to class will it just be streamed from the KC campus all the time or will there be separate classes between campuses
The curriculum is the same. Classes are streamed from both campuses, or the campuses will have separate lecturers (on the same topics, though). For example, one day a lecture might be taking place in KC and streamed to Joplin. The next, a lecture may take place in Joplin and be streamed to KC. Another day, there will be two separate lectures on each campus, but on the same topic. Make sense?

Reactions: 2 users
How's it like living in Joplin? Pros and cons?
While Joplin is portrayed as a rural town, it really isn't anything of the sort. We have a lot of farm towns surrounding the area, but Joplin is a pretty large metropolitan area. We have a population of around 180k [1]. That's a larger population than Mizzou (Columbia), but more evenly spread out across the generations (read: not college students). Rural is not really a good descriptor, imo.

People: Joplin is in the heart of the Bible belt and we actually act like Christians (most of the time). People are genuinely kind and willing to help you out. If you remember the major tornado that came through town in 2011, disaster recovery groups like FEMA were shocked to find that our citizens had pretty much everything well under control by the time they showed up. Our churches especially did a great job of mobilizing people and sending them where they were needed for cleanup. It really solidified in my mind that this is a very caring community (that extends to everyone, not just the faith community).

Driving/Roads: Traffic is not even close to a problem (except maybe Rangeline road during rush hour). Roadwork used to not be a problem, but we are redoing our main street right now and it is a huge pain. We have at least 1 uber/lyft driver in town, but they are still relatively new. I am not certain how good taxi service is, most people here just own their own car. There is a public trolley system with a few stops, but it isn't really something you should depend on to get you places. Bike paths are becoming more common as the city continues to grow.

Faith/Religion: Churches are everywhere. There is a joke in town that there is either a bank or a church on every street corner. They aren't wrong. We have every major denomination (except eastern Orthodox), but most are Baptist and nondenominational. There is also a Synagogue and an Islamic Center in town. I don't believe there are any Buddhist or Hindu Temples in the area, but I could be wrong.

Food: As far as food that you can find in the area, we have almost every major chain restaurant as well as a lot of local restaurants. Mexican is really popular here (huge Latino population means it's mostly authentic). We also have a few great sushi places, some Thai restaurants, an upscale Greek restaurant (with valet parking, fancy), and pretty much anything else you could want.

Activities: For outdoorsy people, there are a lot of great places to go on day hikes and even a couple good weekend hikes within 2 hours of Joplin. We have a ton of parks and a few pool complexes. There is a decently large (and overpriced) movie theater and a couple smaller theaters in the area. If I remember correctly, an indoor skydiving place is being built just outside of town. We even have a couple Escape Room facilities. If you want things to do (during the day) and you are willing to look, you won't get bored.

Family: Joplin is a pretty safe town. Like any place, there are some sketch neighborhoods, but apart from that you should be fine. Petty theft is the most common crime. There are several daycare facilities in the area and a lot of child friendly entertainment venues.

Housing: Housing is dirt cheap here if you are from anywhere other than the Midwest. I own a 3 bed 2 bath on a decently large plot of land and it only cost $170 to build (I am a Joplin native and built the house before being accepted). Apartments are decently cheap (again, compared to larger cities), but I'd recommend trying to find a home to rent. There are plenty in the area.

Nightlife: (Space intentionally left blank)

Shopping: We have a good sized mall here in town for shopping. In addition, tons of other shops are right next to the same area (like Khols, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Target). Walmart is the major grocer here, but we also have Food4Less, Aldi, and a hand full of whole food stores (including an Asian market) as well as farmer's markets.

Anyway, that's my spiel on Joplin. Let me know if you need any more specifics.

Reactions: 8 users
While Joplin is portrayed as a rural town, it really isn't anything of the sort. We have a lot of farm towns surrounding the area, but Joplin is a pretty large metropolitan area. We have a population of around 180k [1]. That's a larger population than Mizzou (Columbia), but more evenly spread out across the generations (read: not college students). Rural is not really a good descriptor, imo.

People: Joplin is in the heart of the Bible belt and we actually act like Christians (most of the time). People are genuinely kind and willing to help you out. If you remember the major tornado that came through town in 2011, disaster recovery groups like FEMA were shocked to find that our citizens had pretty much everything well under control by the time they showed up. Our churches especially did a great job of mobilizing people and sending them where they were needed for cleanup. It really solidified in my mind that this is a very caring community (that extends to everyone, not just the faith community).

Driving/Roads: Traffic is not even close to a problem (except maybe Rangeline road during rush hour). Roadwork used to not be a problem, but we are redoing our main street right now and it is a huge pain. We have at least 1 uber/lyft driver in town, but they are still relatively new. I am not certain how good taxi service is, most people here just own their own car. There is a public trolley system with a few stops, but it isn't really something you should depend on to get you places. Bike paths are becoming more common as the city continues to grow.

Faith/Religion: Churches are everywhere. There is a joke in town that there is either a bank or a church on every street corner. They aren't wrong. We have every major denomination (except eastern Orthodox), but most are Baptist and nondenominational. There is also a Synagogue and an Islamic Center in town. I don't believe there are any Buddhist or Hindu Temples in the area, but I could be wrong.

Food: As far as food that you can find in the area, we have almost every major chain restaurant as well as a lot of local restaurants. Mexican is really popular here (huge Latino population means it's mostly authentic). We also have a few great sushi places, some Thai restaurants, an upscale Greek restaurant (with valet parking, fancy), and pretty much anything else you could want.

Activities: For outdoorsy people, there are a lot of great places to go on day hikes and even a couple good weekend hikes within 2 hours of Joplin. We have a ton of parks and a few pool complexes. There is a decently large (and overpriced) movie theater and a couple smaller theaters in the area. If I remember correctly, an indoor skydiving place is being built just outside of town. We even have a couple Escape Room facilities. If you want things to do (during the day) and you are willing to look, you won't get bored.

Family: Joplin is a pretty safe town. Like any place, there are some sketch neighborhoods, but apart from that you should be fine. Petty theft is the most common crime. There are several daycare facilities in the area and a lot of child friendly entertainment venues.

Housing: Housing is dirt cheap here if you are from anywhere other than the Midwest. I own a 3 bed 2 bath on a decently large plot of land and it only cost $170 to build (I am a Joplin native and built the house before being accepted). Apartments are decently cheap (again, compared to larger cities), but I'd recommend trying to find a home to rent. There are plenty in the area.

Nightlife: (Space intentionally left blank)

Shopping: We have a good sized mall here in town for shopping. In addition, tons of other shops are right next to the same area (like Khols, Bed Bath and Beyond, and Target). Walmart is the major grocer here, but we also have Food4Less, Aldi, and a hand full of whole food stores (including an Asian market) as well as farmer's markets.

Anyway, that's my spiel on Joplin. Let me know if you need any more specifics.
Wow this is super helpful. Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone Dm me the FB group? I legit don't have a facebook (IG for lifeeeeee) but will create one to join the madness lol

Hey yall! Current joplin 1st year here, I low key forgot about SDN so I never checked into the thread, but SDN helped a lot when I was going through the application process, so I figured I’d offer to answer questions. Feel free to PM me or ask on here if you wish! Good luck to all of you!

Hey yall! Current joplin 1st year here, I low key forgot about SDN so I never checked into the thread, but SDN helped a lot when I was going through the application process, so I figured I’d offer to answer questions. Feel free to PM me or ask on here if you wish! Good luck to all of you!
what are some things you wish you had when you started school? What are things you did not think about that are a necessity now? this can be for anything, school, housing etc.

So this could potentially sound ignorant and I just wanna preface by saying I in no way mean to offend anyone.

What’s the difference between KC and Joplin? Based on the vibes I’m getting from this and other threads (and in the interview) it seems like the KC campus is the better option because it’s more established and Joplin is so new. I haven’t been accepted yet, and I’m hopefully hearing back this week, but I’m really debating on whether the Joplin campus would be equivalent to KC, or if I should strongly consider other more established schools I hold an acceptance to just due to having COMLEX stats and residency match statitistics from them. OR does it even matter because it’s all KCU and both campuses will most likely have similar stats and residency matches(which are both excellent and better than the schools I hold acceptances to)

Sorry if this sounds rambling it’s hard to put my neurotic thoughts on paper. Thank you!!

So this could potentially sound ignorant and I just wanna preface by saying I in no way mean to offend anyone.

What’s the difference between KC and Joplin? Based on the vibes I’m getting from this and other threads (and in the interview) it seems like the KC campus is the better option because it’s more established and Joplin is so new. I haven’t been accepted yet, and I’m hopefully hearing back this week, but I’m really debating on whether the Joplin campus would be equivalent to KC, or if I should strongly consider other more established schools I hold an acceptance to just due to having COMLEX stats and residency match statitistics from them. OR does it even matter because it’s all KCU and both campuses will most likely have similar stats and residency matches(which are both excellent and better than the schools I hold acceptances to)

Sorry if this sounds rambling it’s hard to put my neurotic thoughts on paper. Thank you!!
From what I hear the curriculum is mirrored at both campuses so that would not be an issue. I am not sure what you mean in terms of equivalency but in my honest opinion I preferred the Joplin Campus because it was Newer and only Joplin students get to rotate at Mercy and Freeman Hospitals where the students at KC have to be students from Kansas University School of medicine at the rotation sites.

Interviewed 11/6 here. I want a decision already ughhh. Waiting sucks :(

what are some things you wish you had when you started school? What are things you did not think about that are a necessity now? this can be for anything, school, housing etc.
Schedule. You will think that you have zero time when med school starts. Make time to relax. To make food. To even go shopping.

Apple pencils are amazing.

Don’t put off securing housing or a roommate.

Reactions: 3 users

We have the same course at the same time as KC (I am in Joplin). We take tests at the same time and have access to the same material. Some courses are broadcasted between campuses and some classes are taught in person. We have access to videos from the opposite campus and all lecture materials, so essentially you can go to class in person, or watch your campus or opposite campus online (or what I do is watch the lectures back later, sometimes even watch the KC lecture if I did not get much out of the Joplin lecture).

In terms of course work, you will not be hindered at Joplin. Not sure what else you are concerned about in campus differences, but happy to answer others.

I love the Joplin campus. It’s all in one building. Boards are all on you. We will know more about them when the current second years get their scores back.

We have the same course at the same time as KC (I am in Joplin). We take tests at the same time and have access to the same material. Some courses are broadcasted between campuses and some classes are taught in person. We have access to videos from the opposite campus and all lecture materials, so essentially you can go to class in person, or watch your campus or opposite campus online (or what I do is watch the lectures back later, sometimes even watch the KC lecture if I did not get much out of the Joplin lecture).

In terms of course work, you will not be hindered at Joplin. Not sure what else you are concerned about in campus differences, but happy to answer others.
This answer was brought to you by a bioethics lecture.

Schedule. You will think that you have zero time when med school starts. Make time to relax. To make food. To even go shopping.

Apple pencils are amazing.

Don’t put off securing housing or a roommate.

Second the Apple Pencil. Newer iPads are Apple Pencil compatible. Changes so much for note taking. I don’t print anything anymore now that I can use that.

Secure housing early. I started paying rent in April, but I was guaranteed a place to live. That was one thing I did not have to worry about.

I often forget to go grocery shopping or cook food. So if you can meal prep, or some around here are trying a meal prep program, acquire the skill. It is better than constant take-out. Trust me. (But I also practically live at school, so packing lunch and dinner is a recent skill, glad we have microwaves, fridges, and Keurigs).

Call home. Seriously. I am 7ish hours away. Homesick is real. So don’t ignore your family. My mom now sends monthly care packages and those are nice. She sends my favorites that I cannot find around town. She also sends Starbucks cards for my endless need for caffeine and more KPods to use at school.

I wish I had time to read everything. You just cannot expect yourself to do it all. No longer an A student, but I am happy to pass. In the end, you pass your classes, you will graduate. Don’t beat yourself up and do your best. All you can ask of yourself. An A is not worth anxiety and stress if at minimum you are passing. That was the hardest to get over.

Reactions: 4 users
Interviewed here 11/9 and LOVED my entire time on the Joplin campus

Waiting sucks but I love reading current students' experiences. You all seem so genuine and helpful, I hope I can join you all soon!

Oh I do have a question!

Some of you mentioned an apple pencil. Does the school supply iPads/tablets?

This will really differ person-to-person. If you're from a large metropolitan area and don't think that you would do well in a small(ish) city like Joplin (although Joplin really isn't that small in my opinion) then KC is probably a better school FOR YOU. This is really the only large difference between the campuses. I don't want to rehash what everyone said above, but KC and Joplin students are tested on the exact same material (for lecture). Furthermore, 95% of the lectures are recorded on each campus, so each campus has access to the exact same resources. As someone who didn't indicate a preference, I can say with relative confidence that Joplin was a better fit for me; however, I'm sure many of my peers on the KC campus are very happy in KC.

TLDR-- No campus will give you a "leg up" academically. Joplin is "new" but it's only new in the sense that the building is new lol. It's the exact same curriculum, and the rotation sites are solid (multiple hospitals in Joplin with ACGME residencies in house).

This will really differ person-to-person. If you're from a large metropolitan area and don't think that you would do well in a small(ish) city like Joplin (although Joplin really isn't that small in my opinion) then KC is probably a better school FOR YOU. This is really the only large difference between the campuses. I don't want to rehash what everyone said above, but KC and Joplin students are tested on the exact same material (for lecture). Furthermore, 95% of the lectures are recorded on each campus, so each campus has access to the exact same resources. As someone who didn't indicate a preference, I can say with relative confidence that Joplin was a better fit for me; however, I'm sure many of my peers on the KC campus are very happy in KC.

TLDR-- No campus will give you a "leg up" academically. Joplin is "new" but it's only new in the sense that the building is new lol. It's the exact same curriculum, and the rotation sites are solid (multiple hospitals in Joplin with ACGME residencies in house).

Thank you for the reply! This is the answer I was looking for. I know that KCU as a whole is a great curriculum with excellent boards and I just wanted to make sure that there was no difference in campus quality/education/potential residency placement!! Location doesn’t really matter to me, just the quality of the education!

Secure housing early. I started paying rent in April, but I was guaranteed a place to live. That was one thing I did not have to worry about.

Is it essential to do something like this? Does housing fill up THAT fast? Would starting in June also be ok?

Way to late to start looking or to start renting?

Looking. Housing is stressful and you want to be able to get a convenient location that you like. That’s just my opinion. I just like having huge things like that out of the way and secured.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Looking. Housing is stressful and you want to be able to get a convenient location that you like. That’s just my opinion. I just like having huge things like that out of the way and secured.

Same already put in my application for housing so that way I am not stressing when school gets closer.

I was in the area this weekend and looking at apartments and they said people in the KC area generally sign ~60 days before moving in. I am with you though I like to have things out of the way and planned early. Prices downtown are also most likely going to rise as it gets warmer and more people plan to sign leases, so DT leases might rise by as much as ~$150-200 a month depending on the area.

I didn’t move into my place until after orientation had already started lol..... I was sleeping on an air Mattress For about a month and was in a house with literally zero furniture.... I wish I wasn’t a ***** when it came to finding housing lol. Most people figured out where they were going to be living, but I waited till the last minute because, I was still unsure if I would be attending KCU or not.

Also with regards to KCU Joplin vs KC, we literally have the exact same curriculum, professors from both KC and Joplin teach on both campuses, and we have access to the same learning material from both campuses. Occasionally schedules are slightly different, for example we might have a biochem lecture on lipids on monday, but KC will have theirs on friday. Thats pretty much to only major difference.

Ok yes, then we are on the same page lol! I was going to start renting in June but start looking in January/Feb. Where do current students currently live? Any apt recommendations?

I found my house in June. Right across from the campus.

Is it essential to do something like this? Does housing fill up THAT fast? Would starting in June also be ok?

So I started looking in March, but I stated I was willing to start paying rent in May and that got me a place sooner. Places will not hold apartments vacant for two months. I didn’t move furniture in until June but by being willing to start rent before June, I was able to secure a place. Now, that is dependent on funds for each person, but that was also something a local realtor recommended.

Ok yes, then we are on the same page lol! I was going to start renting in June but start looking in January/Feb. Where do current students currently live? Any apt recommendations?

Students live in Joplin in Plaza, Terrance Green, Villas, Rustic Ridge, Campbell Reserve and there are small houses people rent or buy to name a few. There is a realtor that works with medical students coming to the area to find the housing that they need.

Just to echo what has been said by the other students, the academic differences between campuses don’t really exist. your ideal campus will be based more off of your personality than anything else. The entrance GPA/MCAT difference between both campuses is also negligible (just look it up on the kcu website if you want to see for yourself). It basically comes down to deciding if you want to live in a “small town” (put in quotes because Joplin is way bigger than the town I grew up in :)) or if you want to live in a big city. I will say one thing though, rent is way cheaper here in Joplin :)

Last edited:
Oh and concerning rent, I started looking in May and got put on a waitlist at the apartment complex I was looking at, but then got off the waitlist like 3 weeks later.

And... I’m not sure what all the buzz is about this ipad pencil, but I get along just fine without one :)

Interviewed 10/27 at Joplin, bombed the interview so I am anxiously waiting but won't be surprise if waitlisted