2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey all, I originally had an interview at Kansas City in January, but I called admissions today to see if there's an earlier date and eventually signed up for tomorrow. I know KCU has 3 8-minute interviews and a group activity (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Will we be asked ethical questions or things on our app/is it closed file? Is there any last minute advice you guys could give especially since I found out I'm interviewing tomorrow just a few hours ago? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Yes, 3 8-minute interviews and a group activity.

Chill and be yourself. We cannot go into specifics because of the NDA. However, go into each interview with an open mind. Obviously, be polite and greet the interviewer. You should know your application for all interviews you receive. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all, I originally had an interview at Kansas City in January, but I called admissions today to see if there's an earlier date and eventually signed up for tomorrow. I know KCU has 3 8-minute interviews and a group activity (Please correct me if I'm wrong). Will we be asked ethical questions or things on our app/is it closed file? Is there any last minute advice you guys could give especially since I found out I'm interviewing tomorrow just a few hours ago? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Similar situation to me, I had roughly 36 hours notice before my interview! Yes, 3 8 minute interviews plus a group activity. It's closed file too! Good luck!!!!

I think one piece of advice that I could give is to not be so rigid and square. Be professional, but also be yourself. Yes, you'll probably receive some questions you didn't prep an answer for and then revise it 20 times. With that being said, give the answer that you truly believe, not the answer that you think they want to hear. On my first interview I was such a square because I thought that's what I was supposed to do. By my fifth interview I was smiling and laughing with some of the most bland interviewers. Relax. You've likely got the stats, now show then you're a human as well. Good luck!

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if all the interview spots are really all filled for the KC location? I got an email November 29th that said all the spots were filled and spots may open up as people withdraw. Don't they interview all the way until March? I'm kind of assuming they must mean that all the interview spots for 2018 are filled but not for January, February and so on of 2019. Does anyone know anymore info on this?

Reactions: 1 user
There should be a lot of upcoming decisions, they told us yesterday during the interview they want our decisions by 12/21 so I imagine that they'll have everyone else's as well.

Did they mention how often the committee was going to meet to make decisions?

Reactions: 2 users
Can any KCU student comment on the school's avg. USMLE scores over the past 2 years? The information is not available on the website. Wasn't sure if the students were told this info.

Can any KCU student comment on the school's avg. USMLE scores over the past 2 years? The information is not available on the website. Wasn't sure if the students were told this info.

It’s been a minute since I interviewed earlier in the cycle, but if I remember correctly they said that the school doesn’t have this information. Unlike COMLEX, DO schools don’t get USMLE pass rates. I could very much be wrong though..

If so, I’m also curious to know what the scores are lol

Current KCU student here. From what I remember, class of 2019 usmle average was 225. I'm not sure about the most recent class that took it.

Reactions: 3 users
It’s been a minute since I interviewed earlier in the cycle, but if I remember correctly they said that the school doesn’t have this information. Unlike COMLEX, DO schools don’t get USMLE pass rates. I could very much be wrong though..

If so, I’m also curious to know what the scores are lol

Sometimes the schools will tell the students about their class scores, etc.

Current KCU student here. From what I remember, class of 2019 usmle average was 225. I'm not sure about the most recent class that took it.

Thank you! Huge help. If I can get anyone else to confirm/deny, that would be awesome.

Did they mention how often the committee was going to meet to make decisions?

I didn’t hear that. But on the power point it said 6 weeks to hear back and then said the thing about trying to get it done by winter break

On my interview day, the students said their average was higher than KU's avg. According reddit, in 2017 KU's was a 226. I would guess it's between 225 and 230. The students did brag about how KU was asking KCU what they were doing to "get such a high step 1".

Why did you NOT choose KCU? I'm curious about potential "dealbreakers" that I don't know about KCU.
That person you quoted got into an MD school. If I remember their stats I have no idea why they even applied DO

11/9 interviewee here coming up on the 4 week mark! At least time flies when you’re drowning in finals

Members don't see this ad :)
11/9 interviewee here coming up on the 4 week mark! At least time flies when you’re drowning in finals
No kidding. 10/30 interview and next Tuesday is our 6 week mark. I have a final ON Tuesday and I have no idea how I'll be able to concentrate on my test when I'm not able to check my email.

Sent from my SM-G935V using SDN mobile

Sometimes the schools will tell the students about their class scores, etc.

Thank you! Huge help. If I can get anyone else to confirm/deny, that would be awesome.
This sounds similar to the number I've heard (can't remember exactly right now). I would say it's likely between 225-230, as mentioned above.

An important thing to remember is that this stat is extremely skewed. It's a stat based on the 2019 class, when it wasn't as important for everyone to take the USMLE (because they'll graduate pre-merger). The students who took Step were a self-selecting group, likely in the top 50% of the class. Just something to keep in mind: reading too much into board scores is useless.

This sounds similar to the number I've heard (can't remember exactly right now). I would say it's likely between 225-230, as mentioned above.

An important thing to remember is that this stat is extremely skewed. It's a stat based on the 2019 class, when it wasn't as important for everyone to take the USMLE (because they'll graduate pre-merger). The students who took Step were a self-selecting group, likely in the top 50% of the class. Just something to keep in mind: reading too much into board scores is useless.

Thank you! Appreciate the insight.

Just got an interview invite for the Joplin campus.

I have two questions for yall

1) Should I fly to kansas city and get a car to drive to joplin OR just fly to joplin directly. (flying direct to joplin is about $180 more)

2) How does the school decide which campus you get accepted into? I know they mentioned the location of your interview is not what decides it.
I selected both campuses to get an interview, but I would prefer the KC campus.

Id like more insight into how they decide that.

Also, what types of sites does Joplin have for rotations?
I thought the KC campus match list was pretty impressive.

I just had my interview at DMU and im sure ill like KCU since people seem to say that they are quite similar?

1) Should I fly to kansas city and get a car to drive to joplin OR just fly to joplin directly. (flying direct to joplin is about $180 more)

2) How does the school decide which campus you get accepted into? I know they mentioned the location of your interview is not what decides it.

I just had my interview at DMU and im sure ill like KCU since people seem to say that they are quite similar?

Honestly it depends on gas costs, and which company of rental cars you use. If you’re in joplin you will need a rental car anyways to get to and from campus, due to lack of public transportation. (Although Uber is a thing in joplin)

2nd. Not entirely sure how they decide which campus you get accepted into, it likely has to do with your application and your openness to working in a rural community, but I am not on the admissions team so I dont know. Joplin currently has Freeman health (Major hospital in the surrounding 4 states area), and soon will have Mercy Hospital as well. Basically any rotation site that KC has is also open to Joplin. (Although there is speculation that they are going to be making KC only sites and Joplin only sites) I wouldn’t worry too much about that as both campuses have teaching hospitals associated with them, and both campuses will give you equal amount of experience to be successful.

1. I flew into KC and drove to Joplin. Highly recommend it. It was a scenic drive.

2. At my interview they said you get accepted then the dean's meet and decide where to place you.

KCU Joplin has the Freeman hospital right across the street, kind of like how MD schools are set up. Mercy Hospital is also affiliated with the school. Rotations are pretty good imo because you get first dibs and get to stay in one place all 4 years. They're also working on creating residency programs at these hospitals.

Not to undermine you, but I haven't heard anyone citing the merger as MORE of a reason to take USMLE. Everyone I know personally is planning on taking both, but if anything, the merger has given people pause as to whether or not the extra money for USMLE is worth it. I don't see any reason why whatever scores have been reported should be particularly skewed. And either way, our COMLEX scores and pass rates are consistently among the best, which obviously speaks to the performance of the whole class!

Thanks for the timely responses,

just wondering, has anyone gone down to the Ozark National forest? im considering staying around and trying to visit a couple places nearby.

Thanks for the timely responses,

just wondering, has anyone gone down to the Ozark National forest? im considering staying around and trying to visit a couple places nearby.

I haven't, but I have watched "Ozark" on Netflix. :ninja:

Can any current students speak to the intensity of the curriculum relative to other DO schools? I have heard horror stories about student burnout, mental wellness of students and attrition specifically due to the intensity of the curriculum. Obviously med school is hard, but is KCU really that much worse?

interviewed 11/6!
just got to the 1-month mark and I'm going crazy already lol...

Can any current students speak to the intensity of the curriculum relative to other DO schools? I have heard horror stories about student burnout, mental wellness of students and attrition specifically due to the intensity of the curriculum. Obviously med school is hard, but is KCU really that much worse?
also curious about this.

Does anyone know if they’re gonna group the 10/31 and 11/1 interviewees when they give out decisions next week?

Last edited:
any 10/27 hear back yet? or do we think its gonna be a monday reveal?

the 10/18 decisions didn't come out until ~5pm est, so there is still hope.

Just got the email, Accepted!! KC campus LM 65

Reactions: 14 users
Good luck to all that are waiting to hear back. It is nerve racking, I know. I think my email came in around 430 CST on a Friday, hang in there. There is still time today.

Reactions: 3 users

It's hard to compare to other schools...after all, med students only end up attending one. But I will say that the curriculum is very very difficult and emotionally/mentally draining. I'm okay with this because I feel that the rigor is preparing me better for boards. It's definitely something to keep in mind though. I would still make the same decision to come here if I had to.

Reactions: 6 users
Accepted via email, 11/1 II

Reactions: 12 users
Accepted to KCU campus via email today, interviewed on 11/1

First acceptance of the cycle!!!! Trust the process!

Reactions: 14 users
I'm seeing 11/1 interviews accepted. Any 10/30 interviewees heard yet?

Accepted via email to KC Campus, interviewed 10/30!!!!

Canadian with Lizzy ~70

Reactions: 12 users
This gives me hope that 11/15 will hear by 12/14. Congrats everyone!!!

Reactions: 6 users

It's hard to compare to other schools...after all, med students only end up attending one. But I will say that the curriculum is very very difficult and emotionally/mentally draining. I'm okay with this because I feel that the rigor is preparing me better for boards. It's definitely something to keep in mind though. I would still make the same decision to come here if I had to.
@toedrag

Accepted to KC campus, LizzyM 68, Canadian
11/1 interviewee
im so frickin happy

Reactions: 13 users
Oh wow congrats you all!!

Maybe that means the 11/9 interviewees will hear by next week?

Accepted! KC campus interviewed 10/27 @ Joplin

Edit: sorry I had a brain fart and said 10/24 on my original post. I interviewed 10/27.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
10/27 interviewee at Joplin and still haven't heard anything yet