2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello all! I applied here last cycle— interviewed, got waitlisted, then got accepted! (Ultimately decided to go to DMU tho) I’m here to pay it forward so if you have any questions, feel free to DM me!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
When did they start sending out II's?
Also, how was the interview? Was it stressful or more relaxed compared to other schools

Members don't see this ad.

Received this email today "Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM.", anyone else? I haven't received a secondary yet, so I'm guessing they're implying my primary application, right?

Reactions: 1 users
Received this email today "Your application has been sent for further review. This process can take up to 2 weeks. Once the application review is complete, you will receive additional communication from KCU-COM.", anyone else? I haven't received a secondary yet, so I'm guessing they're implying my primary application, right?

yeah i got that email today too

Members don't see this ad :)
I got that one last year. Let me see if I can timeline it for you..

So my primary was submitted 7/31(needed new MCAT), new MCAT was taken 9/9, score released 10/3. On hold till 11/16(landed in spam) submitted 11/27 II 12/1 for 12/7 accepted 12/15

Reactions: 1 user
When did they start sending out II's?
Also, how was the interview? Was it stressful or more relaxed compared to other schools
I applied really late last year and gained acceptance a month before classes were set to start so I ultimately turned down acceptance (I really hope I don't come back to regret this).
Last year's interviews were super laid back and only lasted 30 minutes. Mine was one on one with one of the professors and all they had available was my secondary application and demographic information. Friend of mine at Joplin told me that they can sometimes do interviews with two people asking you questions. General questions like why KCU? Why DO? and other personal questions to gauge your interests outside of medicine.

I applied really late last year and gained acceptance a month before classes were set to start so I ultimately turned down acceptance (I really hope I don't come back to regret this).
Last year's interviews were super laid back and only lasted 30 minutes. Mine was one on one with one of the professors and all they had available was my secondary application and demographic information. Friend of mine at Joplin told me that they can sometimes do interviews with two people asking you questions. General questions like why KCU? Why DO? and other personal questions to gauge your interests outside of medicine.
I have to say I think that was a mistake. We had one person in my class get accepted three days before orientation and they made it work.

I have to say I think that was a mistake. We had one person in my class get accepted three days before orientation and they made it work.
I agree, but I had other circumstances that weighed heavily on my decision. Definitely nothing against the school because KCU was extremely well put together and the new campus in Joplin is very nice.

Does this school favor IS students heavily, or is it more half and half?

Does this school favor IS students heavily, or is it more half and half?
Last years matriculating class had students from 35 different states and 143 different colleges so I don't think there is much instate preference

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
finally got the freaking secondary today, hope to have it submitted soon. Now just waiting for PCOM.

Hey everyone, I just got my secondary from here today (I'm very excited) and was wondering if you all could give me input about what I might write about for multiple obligations. Do you think it would be better for me to write about work experience (I already talked about my CNA job in another essay so I don't want to bore them with a different tale from the job) or do you think I could write something about just college life in general between class, volunteering, research, etc. I feel like it is a little cliche, but balancing college life really is an important skill for people to learn early on.

Hey everyone, I just got my secondary from here today (I'm very excited) and was wondering if you all could give me input about what I might write about for multiple obligations. Do you think it would be better for me to write about work experience (I already talked about my CNA job in another essay so I don't want to bore them with a different tale from the job) or do you think I could write something about just college life in general between class, volunteering, research, etc. I feel like it is a little cliche, but balancing college life really is an important skill for people to learn early on.

Yeah I was wondering the same, I was going to talk about balancing my responsibilities with school, serving as an EMT, and being on an executive board for two different organizations on campus, do you guys think this would work?

If that is truly your busiest time, then write about it. How did this affect you? Did you learn how you handle stress? did you grow as a person? Me personally, this past year I had 2 jobs, 2 volunteer positions, in grad school, studying for the MCAT, VP of a couple organizations, sole researcher, and some other stuff as well. That was the busiest time in my life. It was also my most successful. I thrive under stress and I wrote about that experience.

For the failure essay: would talking about an extremely un-fruitful, drawn out job search and the decision to move because of it be an appropriate topic?

For the failure essay: would talking about an extremely un-fruitful, drawn out job search and the decision to move because of it be an appropriate topic?

I would say only if you significantly grew from the experience, analyzed what you did wrong, how you fixed it in the future, and never made that mistake again. I *think* this essay is looking for maturity as an overarching theme.

Received the secondary yesterday, submitted it just now. The email says there will be further communication from KCU within 5-7 business days. Hopefully that timeline is accurate!

I received a "Special Invitation to apply to KCU" even though I wasn't even going to submit AACOMAS this year (reapplicant). Has anyone received a similar email and/or can current students comment on whether this invitation actually holds significant bearing in the admissions decision or are they just trying to milk me for money?

I received a "Special Invitation to apply to KCU" even though I wasn't even going to submit AACOMAS this year (reapplicant). Has anyone received a similar email and/or can current students comment on whether this invitation actually holds significant bearing in the admissions decision or are they just trying to milk me for money?

I received this too! Would love any insight into this, because I wasn't planning on apply to KCU but I'm not sure if this carries any significance.

I got one after I took my MCAT.

Based on previous threads, it seems they send this to everyone and it carries no significance. I got this email a few times last year after taking the MCAT

I want the damn secondary already Q_Q

No significance buddy. I also got the e-mail after getting my MCAT score back.

This thread makes me chuckle. If you all want a laugh, go look at my posts in the 2017-2018 KCU "school-specific" thread, and you'll see the true definition of worried. Take some time on KCU's secondaries. During my cycle last year, I felt like some of the secondaries I filled out were very non-specific and ambiguous. Now that I'm a student at KCU, the "why" behind the questions definitely makes a lot more sense to me. This is coming from someone only a week into the program too.

Be patient guys. KCU was my top choice and I was constantly stressing about getting an II from them....a ton of people posted on SDN about getting IIs way before me, and a lot of times they were complete after me, so I stressed myself out for no reason. I'm here now! Everything will fall into place. Don't stress about the timing of your secondaries, IIs, etc. If you applied with a campus preference, the timing of things can differ too (last year II slots at KC filled up so those of us who applied with KC preference had to wait longer to get a II).

Be patient guys. KCU was my top choice and I was constantly stressing about getting an II from them....a ton of people posted on SDN about getting IIs way before me, and a lot of times they were complete after me, so I stressed myself out for no reason. I'm here now! Everything will fall into place. Don't stress about the timing of your secondaries, IIs, etc. If you applied with a campus preference, the timing of things can differ too (last year II slots at KC filled up so those of us who applied with KC preference had to wait longer to get a II).
They think this is bad wait till week one of MCM ;)

I will add, check your spam filters! Last year, my secondary went to my spam filter and I did not complete it until I got an email reminding me to complete it in September. Make sure you think through your answers. They do read them and I was asked about my responses in my interview last year.

(Yea, should be studying MCM...)

Submitted the 2' yesterday. I felt these were my strongest essays of the batch. Hope to hear from KCU soon.

Submitted the 2' yesterday. I felt these were my strongest essays of the batch. Hope to hear from KCU soon.

When did you submit primary? I'm still waiting for the secondary....only received the "we're reviewing your primary" email.

When did you submit primary? I'm still waiting for the secondary....only received the "we're reviewing your primary" email.
I sent in the primary on 6/8 and was verified 6/11. My letters were uploaded to AACOMAS on 7/23, so I am not sure when my app was regarded as complete in that respect. I got the 'reviewing your app' email on 7/20.

38DFF8FD-CB13-4A3E-8955-6F0E549B1F90.jpeg

For the love of god...the level of trolling

Reactions: 18 users