2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Ohh I see, that could be a problem lol. What do you (or any other students) think about class ranking compared to Pass/Fail? Do you think there is a more competitive/cutthroat environment?

Graded system makes me work harder and I think that will help me down the road with boards. KC is cutthroat, Joplin has way more camaraderie and friendly environment.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Graded system makes me work harder and I think that will help me down the road with boards. KC is cutthroat, Joplin has way more camaraderie and friendly environment.

Are you at the KC campus? When I interviewed at the KC campus earlier last month the students said that it wasn’t a cutthroat environment at the KC campus and everyone was friendly and shared notes etc. I’m surprised now to hear you refer to it as cutthroat

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you at the KC campus? When I interviewed at the KC campus earlier last month the students said that it wasn’t a cutthroat environment at the KC campus and everyone was friendly and shared notes etc. I’m surprised now to hear you refer to it as cutthroat
Depends on who you surround yourself with. There are gunners everywhere. But if you're not interested in being that person, then don't surround yourself with them. There are always people sharing resources on our FB page, and my friends and I help each other out. If you want to be competitive, there will be a place for you, but you certainly don't have to be.

Ohh I see, that could be a problem lol. What do you (or any other students) think about class ranking compared to Pass/Fail? Do you think there is a more competitive/cutthroat environment?
Most schools aren't truly pass/fail, because you're still ranked. So it doesn't really make a difference to me.

Yup, KC campus. Yea people do share notes and people are generally friendly.... There's definitely a lot of competitiveness, and some ppl can be savage. This is pretty well acknowledged among everyone at both campuses tbh.

Edit: @fldoctorgirl I'm not referring to my friend circle--I'm talking about the general atmosphere of the KC campus.

Yup, KC campus. Yea people do share notes and people are generally friendly.... There's definitely a lot of competitiveness, and some ppl can be savage. This is pretty well acknowledged among everyone at both campuses tbh.

Edit: @fldoctorgirl I'm not referring to my friend circle--I'm talking about the general atmosphere of the KC campus.
Yeah I know, just wanted to mention to OP that you can keep yourself (mostly) out of it if you don't enjoy that atmosphere! But, I agree with you that there is a general competitive atmosphere.

Hey everyone,

What is the post-interview acceptance rate?

KCU please give us decision before Friday :/ we don't wanna make unnecessary deposits at other schools

Reactions: 5 users
Omg what I actually laughed out loud when I read the description of the KC campus as "cutthroat." I'm really sorry if that's been your experience, but I've never heard anyone in the second year class at least describe it as such. Like @fldoctorgirl said, there are always gunners, but I have in general found the students to be compassionate and open to having a friendly conversation with anyone. I would've missed countless assignments (and questions on tests) without constant Facebook reminders and resources posted by my classmates! Maybe things are different in the class of 2022?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does KCU prefer a written response if I'm not accepting the offer? Or should I just let the deadline pass?

I was accepted to KCU and I was wondering if anyone knows how to find more info on the curriculum other than what the handbook says? The handbook says it's mostly lecture based but also has PBL. I was wondering if a current student or someone who knows more than me can share a more detailed outline of the curriculum?
You're welcome to DM me with any specific questions or concerns you have about this.

Also, in response to the troll... lol. As stated a couple times before this, it's either someone who wants a seat dropped or some recently disgruntled student (due to the approaching end of semester). More likely the latter. Before coming to KCU, I heard a lot of talk about how grueling the curriculum was, and it made me super nervous. I don't have any friends in other medical schools, so I have nothing to compare to; however, this hasn't been THAT bad. I've said this in threads past but med school is basically just adjusting to and being more okay with an ever-increasing workload. You'll look back at HDM while you're in Cardiopulm and think about how much a cake walk that was even though it seemed like a brute at the time. KCU really does do their best to "ease" you into the workload, and a 3 week crash course of biochem/molecular bio/cell bio/genetics will be your new baseline for comparison of difficult classes/workload in med school. Idk about @fldoctorgirl or @Fuji Agar 's experience, but I'm relatively stress-free in the weeks between our longitudinal course tests/competencies, and if I just mustered the motivation to study these for even 10 minutes daily on top of our main class, even those weeks wouldn't be that bad I think.

Reactions: 8 users
Also, in response to the troll... lol. As stated a couple times before this, it's either someone who wants a seat dropped or some recently disgruntled student (due to the approaching end of semester). More likely the latter. Before coming to KCU, I heard a lot of talk about how grueling the curriculum was, and it made me super nervous. I don't have any friends in other medical schools, so I have nothing to compare to; however, this hasn't been THAT bad. I've said this in threads past but med school is basically just adjusting to and being more okay with an ever-increasing workload. You'll look back at HDM while you're in Cardiopulm and think about how much a cake walk that was even though it seemed like a brute at the time. KCU really does do their best to "ease" you into the workload, and a 3 week crash course of biochem/molecular bio/cell bio/genetics will be your new baseline for comparison of difficult classes/workload in med school. Idk about @fldoctorgirl or @Fuji Agar 's experience, but I'm relatively stress-free in the weeks between our longitudinal course tests/competencies, and if I just mustered the motivation to study these for even 10 minutes daily on top of our main class, even those weeks wouldn't be that bad I think.
I agree with you. It has been manageable. Like I said, there is always stress because it's medical school. But overall, I haven't felt it to be terrible or undoable like some people made it seem when I was applying last year.

Reactions: 6 users
* Anxiously checking my email every 15 minutes

Reactions: 3 users
I am a current first year and was going through the thread out of curiosity. I noticed somebody had said that there were "lots of problems" and that you shouldn't come here. That has totally NOT been my experience. I love it here. Yeah, its hard, and yeah there are some things I wish I could change. Our SGA is very helpful though and listens to students concerns. I had several choices of schools to go to, and I picked KCU. I am not disappointed with my choice.

Also, on an unrelated note, I am in KC and do not feel that it is cutthroat AT ALL. I don't know who they could be referring to haha. Just a heads up.

Reactions: 8 users
@mcdreamy17 Do we go to the same school?!! Lol, really surprised by your response.

I guess this thread really shows that the med school experience differs for everyone!

Hey guys so I’ve seen a lot of questions about post-acceptance rate on this thread. I just wanted to share that at my interview day admissions told us it was right around 60%. They were surprisingly open about that question and more which was comforting to hear. Good luck to everyone!!

Reactions: 3 users
@mcdreamy17 Do we go to the same school?!! Lol, really surprised by your response.

I guess this thread really shows that the med school experience differs for everyone!

So are you saying you agree with the troll? Do you regret going to KCU? I’d like to hear what you think the problems are as well.

Yeah I guess it is different for everybody! There have been some hiccups for sure, but I do think that I am getting a great medical education and in the end, that is what matters most.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I guess it is different for everybody! There have been some hiccups for sure, but I do think that I am getting a great medical education and in the end, that is what matters most.

Are you at KC? Do you think you have enough SP interactions or clinical experiences your first two years? That is the one drawback that is making me rethink KCU vs other medical schools, that and trying to find research.

Are you at KC? Do you think you have enough SP interactions or clinical experiences your first two years? That is the one drawback that is making me rethink KCU vs other medical schools, that and trying to find research.

I am in KC. Actual clinical experiences other than score 1 are limited unless you are in the student-run clinic or something for the first and second year, but that was kinda what I saw from most DO schools. As far as DO schools and research, most have limited opportunities. Part of the reason there has been less research here is because the schedule used to have a very short summer break that did not allow time for research. That changed with my year, and they are working to make more opportunities for us. There is an advisor that you can talk to that will work with you to find research, but they emphasize having good grades before you look into doing research.

So are you saying you agree with the troll? Do you regret going to KCU? I’d like to hear what you think the problems are as well.

No, I absolutely do not regret attending this school at all! The things that bother me about this school are probably phenomenally worse at other DO schools. KCU and a few others are as close as you can get to an MD school, and that's what I was looking for.

I mentioned a few issues above (i.e related to the Joplin expansion and the school atmosphere), but aside from that, I'm pretty satisfied with this school. It's a great fit for me.

I'm not really sure how much other DO schools get in terms of clinical experience first and second year. We have around 4 individual encounters per semester first year, and second years get more.

Tbh, it's sorta been on the back burner for me--I'm just trying to get through these blocks!

Hi! New to this thread... Is there a Facebook page for accepted students? (Sorry if this has already been asked!)

Hi! New to this thread... Is there a Facebook page for accepted students? (Sorry if this has already been asked!)

Yes the link will be in not the official acceptance email but the one following (the one with deposit info and stuff). I’ve requested to be added but the admin hasn’t accepted me yet.

Yes the link will be in not the official acceptance email but the one following (the one with deposit info and stuff). I’ve requested to be added but the admin hasn’t accepted me yet.
Thank you!

I was 11/10 interviewee. Does that mean that I am not hearing back from them till next week? :arghh:

They said that everyone who interviewed in 2018 will hear back by the end of the week.

I’m just afraid that they consider Saturday as still part of this week!! :/

They said that everyone who interviewed in 2018 will hear back by the end of the week.

I’m just afraid that they consider Saturday as still part of this week!! :/

I’ll be relatively upset if that’s the case

Usually is a link sent in an email, at least last years was

If you search for kcu Joplin in groups you should find it

Just so everyone’s aware, I emailed admissions earlier (interviewed 11/15) and they informed me that some decisions will not be out by 12/14 (they said hopefully by 12/21). I completely understand this due to the amount of applicants. I also still plan to hold out until about 4 or 5pm tomorrow on paying my other deposit, just in case.

I figured the rest of the community should know in case anyone else is holding out on other deposits.

Good luck everyone!!

Reactions: 4 users