2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm curious, what are the issues regarding the Joplin expansion? You can PM if you want.
If you're still wondering and wanting a little more background, I'm a first year Joplin student. Yes there are issues, but nothing other than what is expected when you're a brand new school. If I recall correctly, because we aren't officially independently accredited until our first class graduates (which will be in 2021), we are "tied in"/accredited through KCU-KC. So there's this big stress on "One cohort". However, since we are two campuses, 2.5 hours away from each other, with different campus cultures, and different faculty, sometimes the same information isn't distributed. It was a bigger issue last year, from what I've heard, but because there were so many issues, administration and faculty have been working extremely hard to make sure it's not a problem today. Of course there are still kinks to work out because we are all in the adjustment phase.
What that looks like now is a lot of LifeSized lectures (basically one professor lectures and the other campus receives a satellite lecture via a more fancy FaceTime), and equal access to both professors' lectures when there are 2 profs. teaching. They're still working on it, but I do believe faculty and staff take our comments, compliments, criticisms to heart to make every year even smoother and better. No idea if Joplin/KC will operate as two different cohorts/campuses with different exams and learning objectives after 2021, but they're doing the best they can with what they have now. And it comes off to the students, so while we may complain, we know that our professors have our best interests in mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Just so everyone’s aware, I emailed admissions earlier (interviewed 11/15) and they informed me that some decisions will not be out by 12/14 (they said hopefully by 12/21). I completely understand this due to the amount of applicants. I also still plan to hold out until about 4 or 5pm tomorrow on paying my other deposit, just in case.

I figured the rest of the community should know in case anyone else is holding out on other deposits.

Good luck everyone!!
Thank you for the update!! I interviewed the same day as you. Hopefully we’ll get lucky!

ACCEPTED KC Campus. Literally just got the email

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted Joplin Campus! also interviewed 11/6 and received the email about 10 minutes ago.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted! KC campus

Edit: Interviewed 11/9 @ Joplin

Last edited:
Many Joplin acceptances coming out today. Congrats to all.

Members don't see this ad :)
Damn I should have interviewed a week earlier. Congratulations on all of the 11/6 and 11/9 acceptances!

Accepted today to Joplin campus from the 11/6 group. I’m bummed it’s not to KC as I loved the city when i interviewed although I’ve read a lot good things about Joplin and their rotations.

I got so excited for you guys because I was hoping I was next....then I remembered I interviewed 12/6 haha

Reactions: 1 users
I got so excited for you guys because I was hoping I was next....then I remembered I interviewed 12/6 haha

Even though I got that email earlier today there's still hope! Last year 11/14(ish) and 12/6(ish) found out on Friday 12/15. So we may end up getting lucky! (I'm just trying to be overly positive)

Accepted at KC campus :D interviewed on 11/6. LM~67

Good luck on everyone who is still waiting!!

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what factors Joplin looks at vs KC for the people who mark no preference or is it totally random?

Waitlisted :/ interviewed 11/10

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what factors Joplin looks at vs KC for the people who mark no preference or is it totally random?
At my interview they said the admissions accepts you then the two deans take all the accepted profiles who said either and decides between them who goes where. They try to keep it even stats wise and look at personality best fit.

Accepted to KC campus!!! Interviewed 11/10.
My first acceptance and I am so excited!! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back!

Reactions: 4 users
Even though I got that email earlier today there's still hope! Last year 11/14(ish) and 12/6(ish) found out on Friday 12/15. So we may end up getting lucky! (I'm just trying to be overly positive)

I interviewed 11/28 and they said it'll be right around 6 weeks for a decision. Did they just tell us that to not get our hopes up?

during my interview (12/6), they mentioned that they were going to try and push decisions in the coming weeks so our group could get decisions by before the holidays

But not sure if they will get there considering that they just released decisions from up to the 11/10 interview, so most likely we will end up hearing after the holidays.

I’m sorry. Do your best to keep the chin up. I know it stings but look forward to the next battle.

Thanks, I'm extremely bummed cause I fell in love with the school when I went for the interview and honestly thought everything went well. I must've messed something up and didn't realize it...

Thanks, I'm extremely bummed cause I fell in love with the school when I went for the interview and honestly thought everything went well. I must've messed something up and didn't realize it...

Your interview may have not been the deciding factor. At some schools it’s two separate groups that determine whether you should get an interview and if you should be admitted. I don’t know how KCU works but maybe you just had some bad luck when the adcom was comparing you to other students or standards. If you don’t get in anywhere else (I assume this won’t happen) just buff your application a little ask for some constructive criticism and try again but earlier. Don’t worry. This process is called a marathon but it’s not about the race. It’s about the endurance. You’ll be a doctor whether your 33 or 43.

Edit: I’d like to add that I’m 27 and this is my second attempt at getting in medical school. I graduated undergrad 5 years ago. I don’t know if this helps or hurts you.

Reactions: 6 users

We are our own worst critics. You will never know about the interview so don’t beat yourself up on that part.

I know the feeling of being rejected somewhere that you really liked. It’s part of the game. I believe you are a strong enough person to not let this keep you down.

Perhaps, there were many other factors that they considered. All you can do is put your best foot forward. Put the best app together, know yourself, and interview well. Practice interviewing. Go over responses until it sounds natural, confident, and real.

It’s all about small battles. You will win some and lose some.

Accepted to KC campus!!! Interviewed 11/10.
My first acceptance and I am so excited!! Good luck to everyone else who is waiting to hear back!
Now you should change your name to she-doctorgonnabe

Reactions: 11 users
is there a link anywhere on KCU website that shows semester break down of classes/exams?

is there a link anywhere on KCU website that shows semester break down of classes/exams?

Under the matriculation page it states that the academic calendar and global block schedule will be available spring 2019.

Do you mean the structure of year 1,2 or 3?

I personally have had plenty of time to do things other than study in first year

I'm looking for the year 3 and 4 structure. I wanted to see if KCU has elective rotations in 3rd year because some schools don't and just have the 6 core rotations + OMM. I heard there is no OMM rotation though which is a plus.

Your interview may have not been the deciding factor. At some schools it’s two separate groups that determine whether you should get an interview and if you should be admitted. I don’t know how KCU works but maybe you just had some bad luck when the adcom was comparing you to other students or standards. If you don’t get in anywhere else (I assume this won’t happen) just buff your application a little ask for some constructive criticism and try again but earlier. Don’t worry. This process is called a marathon but it’s not about the race. It’s about the endurance. You’ll be a doctor whether your 33 or 43.

Edit: I’d like to add that I’m 27 and this is my second attempt at getting in medical school. I graduated undergrad 5 years ago. I don’t know if this helps or hurts you.

We are our own worst critics. You will never know about the interview so don’t beat yourself up on that part.

I know the feeling of being rejected somewhere that you really liked. It’s part of the game. I believe you are a strong enough person to not let this keep you down.

Perhaps, there were many other factors that they considered. All you can do is put your best foot forward. Put the best app together, know yourself, and interview well. Practice interviewing. Go over responses until it sounds natural, confident, and real.

It’s all about small battles. You will win some and lose some.

Thanks so much guys! It means and helps a lot! Oh, and I'm 27years old as well.

I've made the mistake of applying the past 2-3 cycles just because everyone else was applying. And while I knew for sure that I didn't want to go to school yet, a part of me felt like I was behind in life which is ironic cause I always tell my friends to don't compare themselves to anyone. I think I'm feeling worse because I'm finally ready to go back to school and feel like I kind of "used up my chances".

I know it's relatively early in the cycle to feel like I'm done..I just gotta Netflix & Chill today and get back up. There are many more rejections and hopefully one acceptance to come. To those who are on the same boat as me, we've got this!

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
My first SDN post... Accepted to the Joplin Campus! Interviewed at Joplin on 11/9!

Reactions: 7 users
not going to accept my acceptance. Hope it goes out to one of y'all still waiting.