2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
paid my deposit yesterday! rip my bank account

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I’m offended LECOM-B is in my hometown and it is so nice, not that that makes it a good school haha
The place is nice! Maybe I worded it the wrong way-- it's just not the environment I would want to go to school in. It's not really a city, just a small beach town. Definitely nice for a vacation :)

I agree that its about finding the best fit for you. Well put. I am from a close area to lecom B as well, do you prefer to get those midwest residencies over east coast and NE residencies? If so why?

just to touch on a few things you said. I do believe the average for LECOM B is much higher than the national average as well, I wish I still had that paper that showed they average 530ish comlex 1, but it is lower than the 2018 scores of kcu which were phenomenal.They have been back and forth in years prior.

I agree there is crime everywhere, but that doesn't mean its at the same level everywhere. It isn't drug pandering or theft crimes that bother me its the ones that include firearms or violence. KC has more 3x higher than Bradenton (per 100k) violent crime which is also more than atlanta, cincinnati, and oakland. Sure you could respond " the school has great security" or "just live north of the river", but the crime isn't isolated to northeast KC and I want to be able to walk my dogs at 6pm without looking over my shoulder or grab a drink or food with some classmates after an exam and not have to be away from downtown after 9pm. Maybe, just maybe it isn't as bad as I imagine; and if it isn't then it comes down to PBL vs double pass over lecture style, 35k vs 50k, midwest vs east coast, and established midwest rotations or random east coast rotations. I do believe that KCUMB is one of the best DO schools with a well established history of 200 years of medical education, vs LECOMs 25 years, but is there a rate of diminishing returns on that? I don't know, but let me know what you think. especially about your opinion on the midwest residencies
I think you're over-hyping the crime. It's really not that bad...I've gone out in downtown at night multiple times, it's not unsafe if you're in the areas where people hang out. Would I venture out and explore some part of town I don't know? No. Would I walk around the area where school is, at any time of the day? No, but that's a personal decision. We're told not to go to the 7/11 across the street, but I have many friends who do all the time and think it's funny that campus security makes it seem so scary. Notably, a lot of these people are from Chicago and are used to living in a "higher crime" area...so, it's all perspective. My point is, if you want to avoid the areas where most of the crime happens, it's not an issue.

Also, I want to end up back in Florida to practice. I would love to for residency if things pan out that way, but definitely after residency I will move back to FL. I still chose KCU. At the end of the day, most anyone on this site (even outside of the KCU forum) will tell you that KCU is the better school. But, you're the one who has to make the decision that you'll be most comfortable with, otherwise you won't succeed.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! This might be a pretty dumb question but how realistic is it to have a dog during med school? I’ve had him since he was a puppy and he’s seven now, and so he’s really attached to me. I really want to live alone so I think bringing him along would be a prefect way to not get lonely or a good way to de-stress. But how reasonable is it with time? He’s not super active/hyper anymore, he pretty much just sleeps all day when he’s alone. My other option is just for my parents to take him and if Years 3-4 are too too busy I know they’d come pick him up to live with them. I just really want him to live with me lol but not if it’s like unreasonably hard or just won’t work with time commitments/restraints.

I’d appreciate any input!!
(Also, I’ve been accepted to the Joplin campus if that makes any difference)

Edit: also he’s only like 11 pounds
Lots of people have dogs...I actually know a few classmates who just adopted dogs like, last week lol. So, I'd imagine if this is your dog that you've had for awhile and you already have a routine down, it wouldn't be a problem. Especially if he sleeps most of the day.

Reactions: 1 users
So since their KCU campus is full, does that mean if you interview now, it will just be potential spot for joplin or waitist?

So since their KCU campus is full, does that mean if you interview now, it will just be potential spot for joplin or waitist?

I got offered an interview invite for the KCU campus today, so I'm sure it's not full, but I was led to believe that only a few spots were available. I imagine that these spots opened up after other applicants turned down the interview. I ended up turning it down as well, hopefully one of you gets the II. Good luck!

I got offered an interview invite for the KCU campus today, so I'm sure it's not full, but I was led to believe that only a few spots were available. I imagine that these spots opened up after other applicants turned down the interview. I ended up turning it down as well, hopefully one of you gets the II. Good luck!

If you don’t mind, can you tell me where else you decided to go instead?

Does anyone know if they have a layout of the courses you take each semester/year somewhere online? I haven't been able to find anything yet

Does anyone know if they have a layout of the courses you take each semester/year somewhere online? I haven't been able to find anything yet
First semester, M1 block systems courses:
-biochem (MCM)
-MSK
-immuno
-cardiopulm
-renal

First semester, M1 longitudinal courses:
-principles of medicine 1
-OS 1
-bioethics (pass/fail)
-med informatics (pass/fail)

Second semester, M1 block systems courses:
-GI
-endo/repro
-neuro
-mechanisms of disease (MOD)

Second semester, M1 longitudinal courses:
-principles of medicine 2
-OS 2
-intro to research fully online course (pass/fail)

Then we have an art in medicine class that you can choose to take either in the fall or spring semester; it's not really a course, just a day when you go to one of the art museums for a couple of hours to tie in observation with medicine. Not sure what Joplin does for this?

2nd year is pretty much the same systems again, just with path/pharm/etc instead of phys/anatomy.

Reactions: 6 users
-biochem (MCM)
-MSK
-immuno
-cardiopulm
-renal

-OS 1
-bioethics (pass/fail)

-GI
-endo/repro
-neuro

-OS 2

Then we have an art in medicine class that you can choose to take either in the fall or spring semester; it's not really a course, just a day when you go to one of the art museums for a couple of hours to tie in observation with medicine. Not sure what Joplin does for this?

2nd year is pretty much the same systems again, just with path/pharm/etc instead of phys/anatomy.

For AOM we do the same, but we go down to Crystal Bridges in Bentonville (very pretty place btw and worth a return)

-biochem (MCM)
-MSK
-immuno
-cardiopulm
-renal

-OS 1
-bioethics (pass/fail)

-GI
-endo/repro
-neuro

-OS 2

Amazing thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s been great to read the info on here, but I got accepted to MUCOM today and am going to give up my KCU-Joplin seat to go there. Good luck to everyone hoping to attend KCU. It’s a great school and I consider myself lucky to have been accepted.

Do most people wait to find roommates after Accepted Students Day? I was accepted to the Joplin campus and am wondering when is a good time to start looking for people to live with! :)
Start connecting with people on the facebook group. We started a spreadsheet last year.

It’s been great to read the info on here, but I got accepted to MUCOM today and am going to give up my KCU-Joplin seat to go there. Good luck to everyone hoping to attend KCU. It’s a great school and I consider myself lucky to have been accepted.
I turned down MUCOM to go to KCU last year. Both great schools, both great cities. Good luck to you!

Reactions: 6 users
Thank you! I'm a bit of a shy person so its a bit nerve wracking meeting new people! Time to conquer some fears!
Realize that you are going to be spending the next two, three years in some cases with these people. I’ve made friends for the rest of my life here.

Reactions: 2 users
We got some great news here for competitive specialties in the past couple days! We had an Ophtho match at Brown and 2 Urology matches at Brown and SIU! Excited to see what the regular match will reveal come March!

Reactions: 20 users
I withdrew my acceptance here. Best luck to you future docs!

We got some great news here for competitive specialties in the past couple days! We had an Ophtho match at Brown and 2 Urology matches at Brown and SIU! Excited to see what the regular match will reveal come March!
If this is real, I am choosing KCU over my other acceptances.

If this is real, I am choosing KCU over my other acceptances.
I'm an internet denizen, so I can't prove it, but check the Ophtho match sheet for 2019. I don't have a way to show you the uro matches other than to say I know the SIU one personally.

Someone said we also got an ortho in the military match. I can't confirm that.

I'm an internet denizen, so I can't prove it, but check the Ophtho match sheet for 2019. I don't have a way to show you the uro matches other than to say I know the SIU one personally.

Someone said we also got an ortho in the military match. I can't confirm that.
I think I know who one of the Uro matches is and if so totally deserved

Do most people wait to find roommates after Accepted Students Day? I was accepted to the Joplin campus and am wondering when is a good time to start looking for people to live with! :)
A few people have started looking on the facebook page

Have they said when Accepted Students Day is?
Some people have said Joplin's is going to be March 23rd

Hi everyone! This might be a pretty dumb question but how realistic is it to have a dog during med school?
(Also, I’ve been accepted to the Joplin campus if that makes any difference)

Edit: also he’s only like 11 pounds

I'll probably get a dog. Honestly, just have a backup, like parents or something that can watch him if things get too crazy. But I have had several friends have dogs and they say the most important thing is just making sure it is one of your priorities. Like study, dog, sleep, then everything else.

I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but can someone enlighten me on how the 3rd/4th year clerkships work at KCU? I vaguely remember reading something about the lottery system.. does this mean the school gets to randomly decide where the students procure their hands-on experiences? Is there a way for students to rank the preference of locations so the school can "try" to match our preferences to the best of their abilities instead of blindly sending us to the random/unwanted locations?

I am sorry if this question has already been answered, but can someone enlighten me on how the 3rd/4th year clerkships work at KCU? I vaguely remember reading something about the lottery system.. does this mean the school gets to randomly decide where the students procure their hands-on experiences? Is there a way for students to rank the preference of locations so the school can "try" to match our preferences to the best of their abilities instead of blindly sending us to the random/unwanted locations?
Its ranked.

Kinda random question, but has anyone been to the campus over the weekend just to visit it? My family plans on going to Accepted Students Day, but we were also considering dropping by one weekend just to see it by ourselves, maybe walk around. Just wondering. :)

Kinda random question, but has anyone been to the campus over the weekend just to visit it? My family plans on going to Accepted Students Day, but we were also considering dropping by one weekend just to see it by ourselves, maybe walk around. Just wondering. :)
Try to find a current student that would be willing to walk around with you. They don't do much in the way of tours and generally frown on people just showing up.

How's the snow and biting cold weather? Any tips? - California transplant

How's the snow and biting cold weather? Any tips? - California transplant

I’ve lived here my whole life and I still want to scream [almost] every time I walk outside during the winter. So, there’s that.

Reactions: 3 users
Lots of people have dogs...I actually know a few classmates who just adopted dogs like, last week lol. So, I'd imagine if this is your dog that you've had for awhile and you already have a routine down, it wouldn't be a problem. Especially if he sleeps most of the day.

I'll probably get a dog. Honestly, just have a backup, like parents or something that can watch him if things get too crazy. But I have had several friends have dogs and they say the most important thing is just making sure it is one of your priorities. Like study, dog, sleep, then everything else.

Thanks for the feedback! I just really like having him around so I think it'd be nice with how stressful med school can be and what not. And yes of course, he will most definitely be a priority. I plan on living pretty darn close to the school so even if i'm busy I can make time to drive home to take him out for a few minutes

I’ve lived here my whole life and I still want to scream [almost] every time I walk outside during the winter. So, there’s that.
is it because you don't like the winter? I've lived in FL pretty much all my life and I love the cold and snow.. am I naive to be excited for the winters? lol

is it because you don't like the winter? I've lived in FL pretty much all my life and I love the cold and snow.. am I naive to be excited for the winters? lol

I ask because I have never had a real winter before lol. Excited to see it for myself.

Lol. I despise cold weather and snow. There’s just something about -10 degree windchills and snow up to my knees that makes me want to live in an inferno (I live near Columbia, MO an we just got 20 inches during the last storm). However, the spring and fall weather (when we actually get it) is pretty nice around here.

Try to find a current student that would be willing to walk around with you. They don't do much in the way of tours and generally frown on people just showing up.

Also, you can’t get into any buildings without an ID. The only one open during the week is the administration building during business hours.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Lol. I despise cold weather and snow. There’s just something about -10 degree windchills and snow up to my knees that makes me want to live in an inferno (I live near Columbia, MO an we just got 20 inches during the last storm). However, the spring and fall weather (when we actually get it) is pretty nice around here.
an inferno lmaoo that hilarious because its constant heat and humidity here and every time I walk outside during months when its supposed to be cold and start sweating I get very angry and it makes me hate Florida a little bit more each time

an inferno lmaoo that hilarious because its constant heat and humidity here and every time I walk outside during months when its supposed to be cold and start sweating I get very angry and it makes me hate Florida a little bit more each time

Haha. Oh for sure. Believe me, I’m cursing the heat during the summer when it’s 100 degrees and 80% humidity as well. I think I was born to live in the Pacific Northwest. Albeit, here I am living my best life in rural Missouri. Lol

Haha. Oh for sure. Believe me, I’m cursing the heat during the summer when it’s 100 degrees and 80% humidity as well. I think I was born to live in the Pacific Northwest. Albeit, here I am living my best life in rural Missouri. Lol
Lol dude yes. the PNW has my heart. My goal is to live there for even just a few years at some point. It doesn’t get much better or more beautiful than Oregon/Wahsington (IMO)

Lol dude yes. the PNW has my heart. My goal is to live there for even just a few years at some point. It doesn’t get much better or more beautiful than Oregon/Wahsington (IMO)

Agreed. I have a brother and a sister that live in Seattle.

I noticed a lot of people on here had early interview dates. My interview is scheduled for Feb 1st and I was wondering is this a bad thing that my interview is later? I really want the KC location bc I’m more of a city girl and my friend is already at that location so I’m hoping if I get in I can emphasize my preference for KC even though I put on my app that I’d be fine with either.
Also, since a lot of people on here have had their interview, what kind of questions do the young ask in MMI? I’ve never done that style of interview before.

I noticed a lot of people on here had early interview dates. My interview is scheduled for Feb 1st and I was wondering is this a bad thing that my interview is later? I really want the KC location bc I’m more of a city girl and my friend is already at that location so I’m hoping if I get in I can emphasize my preference for KC even though I put on my app that I’d be fine with either.
Also, since a lot of people on here have had their interview, what kind of questions do the young ask in MMI? I’ve never done that style of interview before.
Earlier is always better. Nothing you can do about it now though so why stress over it? You're interviewing because they like you, just be your normal self and you'll do great.

Regarding the interview, cant comment on it because of the non disclosure. My advice, don't worry about it at all. Honestly, dont prep or get worked up about being prepared

Its not really an MMI, 3 people, 8 minutes each, one question I think

Does KCU have a posted academic calendar? I've been looking for one online but haven't been able to find it.

Yes, but you can only see it if you're a student. Its all snazzy and color coded.

I felt the same way and have been enjoying the change of weather thus far :) It's nice to actually be experiencing seasons