2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed at both KCU > NYIT AR

But from posts here, KCU has told recent interviewees that there are only a few seats at KC's campus. It sounds like if I'm not put on the waitlist, I will be going to Joplin, and I don't think I'd choose Joplin over what I have now (especially given other intangibles like family proximity). The main campus, however, I would. Is it worth a gamble? Have had 11 total interview invites this year so my wallet has been broken this cycle

Members don't see this ad.

@BarrelRoll
*Whispers* Joplin has better hospital sites, better facilities, and the same professors. *goes back and sits quietly in the corner*

Reactions: 9 users
But from posts here, KCU has told recent interviewees that there are only a few seats at KC's campus. It sounds like if I'm not put on the waitlist, I will be going to Joplin, and I don't think I'd choose Joplin over what I have now (especially given other intangibles like family proximity). The main campus, however, I would. Is it worth a gamble? Have had 11 total interview invites this year so my wallet has been broken this cycle
Why not Joplin? I like it. :p

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry all didn't mean to sound like I was belittling Joplin!! I didn't want to turn it into a pros and cons post but I guess context was needed. My sister lives in KC so that would be a huge draw for the main campus and I have two cousins who are practicing physicians in Jonesboro and love it there. A family support network is a huge anchor for me when deciding. I don't have any real connection to Joplin like I do with the main campus and where I am currently committed to. I do agree KCU might be stronger academically but the rest of the intangibles are in NYIT's favor, and that's why I'm in this pickle

It seems like that Joplin campus offers everything that KC campus can offer, if not more (better hospital sites, facilities, same professors with same exams). In fact, nobody will even know you went to Joplin campus after graduation because our certificate will not differentiate between the two campuses. The only downside that may negatively affect someone about going to the Joplin campus is that it is located in an extremely rural area, although I guess this depends on person. I am wondering why everyone is so obsessed with getting into KC campus? I got into KC campus, but it looks like Joplin sounds just fine, if not better than KC campus? I am just curious if I am missing anything that KC campus can uniquely offer to their students that Joplin cannot; otherwise, this biased preference toward KC campus does not make sense to me :/

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
It seems like that Joplin campus offers everything that KC campus can offer, if not more (better hospital sites, facilities, same professors with same exams). In fact, nobody will even know you went to Joplin campus after graduation because our certificate will not differentiate between the two campuses. The only downside that may negatively affect someone about going to the Joplin campus is that it is located in an extremely rural area, although I guess this depends on person. I am wondering why everyone is so obsessed with getting into KC campus? I got into KC campus, but it looks like Joplin sounds just fine, if not better than KC campus? I am just curious hmmmm
Its not that rural, haha

Reactions: 3 users
@Magus5454 What does rural even mean? I feel like I have a very different understanding of the word since people keep calling Joplin rural xD.

@Azmkv I think the only thing the KC campus has over us at this point is the presence of the COB and PsyD programs. You could argue access to more residency programs, in the KC area, but there isn't a lot of time to build up those connections.

Btw, Joplin officially did our first Score1 this morning. We have that and work at the Southwest Missouri Community Clinic as really good early clinical experiences.

Joplin is only rural to people who live in cities with like 20 million people...... Joplin is more like a suburb than a rural area lol

For me personally bc I live in such a big city right now (and love it) I know Joplin would feel like the middle of nowhere to me otherwise I definitely believe KC and Joplin are equivalent

All depends on your definition of rural I guess. The Joplin metropolitan area has a population of around 200,000. I don’t consider that rural. I don’t think ANYONE would consider that extremely rural...

It seems like that Joplin campus offers everything that KC campus can offer, if not more (better hospital sites, facilities, same professors with same exams). In fact, nobody will even know you went to Joplin campus after graduation because our certificate will not differentiate between the two campuses. The only downside that may negatively affect someone about going to the Joplin campus is that it is located in an extremely rural area, although I guess this depends on person. I am wondering why everyone is so obsessed with getting into KC campus? I got into KC campus, but it looks like Joplin sounds just fine, if not better than KC campus? I am just curious if I am missing anything that KC campus can uniquely offer to their students that Joplin cannot; otherwise, this biased preference toward KC campus does not make sense to me :/

I've been wondering this too as I also was accepted to KC. Can 4th years even rotate in the Joplin hospitals or is it exclusively Joplin?

I've been wondering this too as I also was accepted to KC. Can 4th years even rotate in the Joplin hospitals or is it exclusively Joplin?
My understanding is that Joplin students had first pick for all of the Joplin sites. We had a trade period where some students were allowed to trade. I'm not 100% sure how that worked out.

4th years can rotate at Joplin if they are doing an away or an interview rotation. Our 4th year is pretty much open to whatever as long as we do an ER rotation at our core site.

As a KC student, I would definitely agree that the Joplin campus has at least everything that KC has. To reiterate what others have said on here, being in a city-ish environment was important to me since I'm from South FL-- to me, KC is still a small city, while I have classmates from Iowa etc who think it's a huge city. It's all perspective. Also, KC was a better site for my SO, and I know that's a factor for a lot of people as well-- more job/school/etc opportunities for whoever they are moving with.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone receive an email about filling out FASFA even if you already filled it out?

Just got an interview at Joplin on the 21st. How did you guys like the school?

I really liked the facilities and all the students were super friendly and excited to be there! Only downside for me is that Joplin is much more rural than I initially thought. But they got an awesome new equipment and rooms, and their clinical rotations are great so you can’t go wrong. Definitely one of my top choices so I’m hoping I get in

I really liked the facilities and all the students were super friendly and excited to be there! Only downside for me is that Joplin is much more rural than I initially thought. But they got an awesome new equipment and rooms, and their clinical rotations are great so you can’t go wrong. Definitely one of my top choices so I’m hoping I get in
You all seriously don't know what rural is

Reactions: 5 users

As above, 4th year is very open. If you're thinking of 3rd year rotations, technically KC students aren't supposed to rotate in Joplin (and vice versa, unless in an honors track since those are currently all in KC), but I know two people from KC who ranked one of the Joplin sites anyway and still ended up getting them. They didn't get in trouble, but I think they might have if either of them had done it on purpose so I wouldn't recommend trying it lol. Both campuses have great options though, and things may be totally different by the time you're there anyway!

You all seriously don't know what rural is

The town itself is fairly rural and spread out. Maybe not the most rural location ever, but it's definitely more rural than the KC campus. The town is like 50k people I think, but it felt a lot less than that. Idk, where I'm from everything is compact and more crowded so it feels a lot more rural to me

Hi everyone! Just got an II on Tuesday and will be interviewing at Joplin campus on the 21st. If yall dont mind, could you (those of you who interviewed already) please share some tips/process/etcetc regarding the interview day?
Thank you in advance!!!

Still looking into Nova vs. KCU... Biggest factors
Turned down my Nova acceptance, even being from Florida, to come here. I can answer any questions if you PM me!
I'm looking at KCU vs. NOVA right now as a FL resident. Mind PMing your reasons for attending KCU?

Hi everyone! Just got an II on Tuesday and will be interviewing at Joplin campus on the 21st. If yall dont mind, could you (those of you who interviewed already) please share some tips/process/etcetc regarding the interview day?
Thank you in advance!!!

Be yourself and try to remain calm. There’s 3 interviews that are 8 minutes long. 2 of them I got questions that I didn’t expect and had no way to prepare for. I would recommend just talking to people and practicing interview skills like eye contact and whatnot. Good luck, the Joplin campus is really nice!

The town itself is fairly rural and spread out. Maybe not the most rural location ever, but it's definitely more rural than the KC campus. The town is like 50k people I think, but it felt a lot less than that. Idk, where I'm from everything is compact and more crowded so it feels a lot more rural to me
It depends on what time you are in town. The actual population is ~50k, but people commute into Joplin for work, bring it up to ~240k. The metropolitan area is around 400k. (source)

So I was doing the background check on the Pre-check website provided on KCU's website... Does anyone know why we have to pay $55 for immunizations on there? Do we have to do the immunization tracking?

So I was doing the background check on the Pre-check website provided on KCU's website... Does anyone know why we have to pay $55 for immunizations on there? Do we have to do the immunization tracking?

Yes. You have to pay for both the background check and immunization tracking. Once this is paid, you’ll be able to set an account up with sentryMD.

Funny story...

Last night I had a dream that I had extremely high blood pressure and upon having a dilated exam performed I was found to have hypertensive retinopathy and macular edema secondary to a branch retinal vein occlusion. Obviously as soon as I got to work today I checked my BP. 118/76. We’re all good. No intravitreal anti-VEGF injections for this guy. :laugh:

On a side note: I can only imagine this will get worse in medical school.

Funny story...

Last night I had a dream that I had extremely high blood pressure and upon having a dilated exam performed I was found to have hypertensive retinopathy and macular edema secondary to a branch retinal vein occlusion. Obviously as soon as I got to work today I checked my BP. 118/76. We’re all good. No intravitreal anti-VEGF injections for this guy. :laugh:

On a side note: I can only imagine this will get worse in medical school.
Yep. We're in endocrine right now and every disease I'm like hey, this sounds like me.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you for applying to Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences. At this time all of our interview spots have been filled. We are continuing to review completed applications, as necessary. Once your file is reviewed and your status has changed, we will let you know.

Got this in mid-December. You guys think I should call or email and ask if there is any progress?

Got this in mid-December. You guys think I should call or email and ask if there is any progress?

Tbh I probably wouldn’t. A lot of people got that in December and they’ve sent out a fair amount of IIs since then. Unfortunately just gotta wait and ride it out

I was waitlisted back in December and have not reached out to them regarding where my position on the list is as I know they don't rank. Does admissions give you any indication what tier on the list you are? Also, I was trying to construct a letter of intent but I don't have a lot of new information to add as I've been continuing to work at my same position. Will it hurt me if I send one with nothing new to add to my application?

Hey guys, just a question about residency programs for those currently attending KCU. I am a Canadian that is going to be attending KCU. Looking towards residencies I would really love to get a spot close by such as michigan. What are the chances of that happening and how competitive would that be?

I was waitlisted back in December and have not reached out to them regarding where my position on the list is as I know they don't rank. Does admissions give you any indication what tier on the list you are? Also, I was trying to construct a letter of intent but I don't have a lot of new information to add as I've been continuing to work at my same position. Will it hurt me if I send one with nothing new to add to my application?

I know in the past that they have not given info about where you are on the waitlist. I also feel like I remember people saying before that a letter of intent doesn't really matter, but I may be wrong there!

Be yourself and try to remain calm. There’s 3 interviews that are 8 minutes long. 2 of them I got questions that I didn’t expect and had no way to prepare for. I would recommend just talking to people and practicing interview skills like eye contact and whatnot. Good luck, the Joplin campus is really nice!
Tysm!!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on KCU vs Midwestern AZ??
Both great schools and the Midwestern campus is gorgeous! But, they’re insane to ask that much for tuition. Tuition scared me away from Midwestern...

Reactions: 1 users

Tbh I probably wouldn’t. A lot of people got that in December and they’ve sent out a fair amount of IIs since then. Unfortunately just gotta wait and ride it out

I wonder if this counts as a pre-II hold. It doesn't sound like it, but it is just that all the same.

I wonder if this counts as a pre-II hold. It doesn't sound like it, but it is just that all the same.
Nope they were out of spots at the time but were working to make more spots after the jew year. I got notified of an interview last week but turned it down because I have been a accepted to a school here in FL.

66 here as well.

Multiple MCAT attempts.

Reactions: 1 users