2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just curious, who is this ever-praising Kiwi person? Sounds like he is popular among the sdn/reddit cyber community haha :p Congratz on your acceptance btw :)

Members don't see this ad.

Just curious, who is this ever-praising Kiwi person? Sounds like he is popular among the sdn/reddit cyber community haha :p Congratz on your acceptance btw :)
Just a real deserving fella who went too long without his A. Also memes

Reactions: 1 users
This was probably answered earlier in the thread and I apologize for asking it again. It's just been difficult sifting through all the replies. What classes are we taking during our first semester of medical school? Also, any advice on note-taking in med school? I've heard some people really love their iPad Pro's and Apple Pencil... and others stick to paper. Pros and cons?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This was probably answered earlier in the thread and I apologize for asking it again. It's just been difficult sifting through all the replies. What classes are we taking during our first semester of medical school? Also, any advice on note-taking in med school? I've heard some people really love their iPad Pro's and Apple Pencil... and others stick to paper. Pros and cons?
Assuming nothing changes next year, you'll start with Molecular & Cellular Mechanisms, which is a combined biochem/cell bio/genetics course. Follow that up with Musculoskeletal I, then Host Defense Mechanisms (immunology). I hear they plan to combine Cardiopulmonary with Renal next year, but we had those as two separate courses. Musculoskeletal and Cardiopulmonary both had gross anatomy labs included. You also take longitudinal courses: Osteopathic Skills and Principles of Clinical Medicine (essentially a "how to be a doctor" class). Pepper in intermittent lectures and other activities (quizzes, discussion groups, etc.) throughout the semester for Medical Informatics and Bioethics. Oh, and we had to do a course called Art, Observation, and Medicine either in the fall or spring. It basically involved going to an art museum and filling out surveys or writing an essay.

As for note-taking, I think most people use their school-supplied iPads. I know some who use paper, but it's typically as a supplement. Find what works for you and stick to it, as there's no "right" way to take notes.

Reactions: 3 users
You'll take biochem, Immuno, MSK, cardio pulm, and renal

Assuming nothing changes next year, you'll start with Molecular & Cellular Mechanisms, which is a combined biochem/cell bio/genetics course. Follow that up with Musculoskeletal I, then Host Defense Mechanisms (immunology). I hear they plan to combine Cardiopulmonary with Renal next year, but we had those as two separate courses. Musculoskeletal and Cardiopulmonary both had gross anatomy labs included. You also take longitudinal courses: Osteopathic Skills and Principles of Clinical Medicine (essentially a "how to be a doctor" class). Pepper in intermittent lectures and other activities (quizzes, discussion groups, etc.) throughout the semester for Medical Informatics and Bioethics. Oh, and we had to do a course called Art, Observation, and Medicine either in the fall or spring. It basically involved going to an art museum and filling out surveys or writing an essay.

As for note-taking, I think most people use their school-supplied iPads. I know some who use paper, but it's typically as a supplement. Find what works for you and stick to it, as there's no "right" way to take notes.

Thank you!

Also, any advice on note-taking in med school? I've heard some people really love their iPad Pro's and Apple Pencil... and others stick to paper. Pros and cons?
I would say 99% of us use our iPads with an Apple pencil or some other stylus for note-taking, and then maybe about 50% of us use a laptop in conjunction to that.

Is anyone able to comment about the speciality honors tracks? I wanna do the EM track but curious if this gives any advantages when applying to residency programs and also wondering how much more work it requires.

I would say 99% of us use our iPads with an Apple pencil or some other stylus for note-taking, and then maybe about 50% of us use a laptop in conjunction to that.

Do you get an Apple Pencil or do you have to purchase one?

If the Apple Pencil works, does this mean we get at least the 6th generation iPad? or is it an iPad Pro?

Regardless, that’s pretty dope

If the Apple Pencil works, does this mean we get at least the 6th generation iPad? or is it an iPad Pro?

Regardless, that’s pretty dope
They give the latest generation iPad available when you start, not the Pro. So yeah, this year we got the ones compatible with the Pencil.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone able to comment about the speciality honors tracks? I wanna do the EM track but curious if this gives any advantages when applying to residency programs and also wondering how much more work it requires.
Minimum 3.4 GPA to apply for most tracks. I don't think it's much extra work, it basically just means that they pick some of your electives for you in that field and you have monthly meetings with whoever's in charge of the track. Likely doesn't influence residency outcomes much.

Just dropped that $1000 matriculation payment. RIP my bank account.

Reactions: 12 users
Hey there, I am embarrassingly late to the party, but I applied to KCU last minute because I retook the MCAT in January. I scored well and my LizzyM score is 66. I finished the secondary today (nothing like cutting close to the deadline) and am hoping to get an interview. I am a former COB student (graduated in 2018) and I did well in the program. I hate being a last-minute applicant. Does anyone know anything about how full the class is already? I know they have at least one more round of interviews coming up and I've heard that KCU doesn't interview just for the waitlist? Can anyone speak to that? Thanks guys! So excited for those of you who are accepted!

there's about 300 in the class of 2023 facebook for KC, so it may be close. of course, there is no way to tell how many will put down the matriculation deposit due tomorrow.

there's about 300 in the class of 2023 facebook for KC, so it may be close. of course, there is no way to tell how many will put down the matriculation deposit due tomorrow.
Thanks for your input!

2019-2020 tuition has been announced if any of you are curious.

COM Tuition
This is almost too scary. As much as I would like to serve as a primary care physician, looking at the tuition makes me wonder if i will be able to pay them back with my 200k salary (or more like 120k after tax lol). Guess I should start looking into specialties

This is almost too scary. As much as I would like to serve as a primary care physician, looking at the tuition makes me wonder if i will be able to pay them back with my 200k salary (or more like 120k after tax lol). Guess I should start looking into specialties

*quietly sneaks paper over to Azmkv showing that the average hourly rate of an ER doc in Missouri is 213/hr, full time is ~120 hours per month, no call, and supplies a great deal of diversity in your day to day work.*

“No one must know about this.” :whistle:

Last edited:
Regarding immunization...

I went ahead and got my titers done, quantitatively and everything, got my pcp to fill out the forms, sent them to sentryMD. Now it appears that despite the lab-verified data that I am immune, I will need the dates and vaccine lot #s of the original vaccinations, which for me would be in the late 1980s...

I called my pediatrician, my high school, my college(s), searched my parents’ house. Can’t seem to locate these records. Any ideas on other sources before I become a pin cushion?

I went ahead and got my titers done, quantitatively and everything, got my pcp to fill out the forms, sent them to sentryMD. Now it appears that despite the lab-verified data that I am immune, I will need the dates and vaccine lot #s of the original vaccinations, which for me would be in the late 1980s...

I called my pediatrician, my high school, my college(s), searched my parents’ house. Can’t seem to locate these records. Any ideas on other sources before I become a pin cushion?

The only thing that asks for the Lot and expiration on the paperwork is the TDaP and TB test. Did SentryMD tell you that you needed the lot and exp? If so, I’m guessing it is for those two things. Mine was approved without lots on the vaccines besides the TDaP.

Perhaps that is more the issue.

Yes, KCUMB requires that even if you have an immune titer you must also provide documentation of the vaccine series. If you are unable to locate them you will need to begin a new series.

That is from SentryMD.

Perhaps that is more the issue.

That is from SentryMD.

That’s crazy that your high school doesn’t have documentation. I know the high school itself wouldn’t, but the main district office may have them on file. That’s how I found mine.

So we only need dates for the vaccines and need both dates and lot #s for the tb test and the tDap correct?

That’s crazy that your high school doesn’t have documentation. I know the high school itself wouldn’t, but the main district office may have them on file. That’s how I found mine.

I think I finally found them... the district office is a good idea and I will try that if I have to. Thanks very much for your help!

My deposit is due on the 15th so I’m waiting to hear back from some schools next week before I put down the deposit

As much as it sucked when I saw the email announcing it, it'll be fine. I can't speak to anyone's personal circumstances-- for example, I know some people who have huge amounts of loans from undergrad/masters etc-- but you will be fine as a physician in the US no matter what specialty you go into. You may not live in a 10,000 sq ft home or drive a flashy car, but you will be in the top 1% of income and have more than enough to live comfortably. How much the debt bothers you is a personal thing: some people will make the minimum payment for 30 years and live lavishly, others will be aggressive and pay it down in 5 years, then do whatever they want with their money. Regardless, you will have more than enough money to live comfortably.

Reactions: 5 users
From the word around the grapevine (current COB student), KC is full and Joplin still has spots left. Good luck!

Thanks! I was offered an interview by email today for March 6th. I've heard that KCU doesn't interview for the waitlist, but I'm not sure. KC is my campus preference, so I hope that they are taking that into account. Either way, I'm pretty sure I destined for the waitlist, but we'll see!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks! I was offered an interview by email today for March 6th. I've heard that KCU doesn't interview for the waitlist, but I'm not sure. KC is my campus preference, so I hope that they are taking that into account. Either way, I'm pretty sure I destined for the waitlist, but we'll see!

I can’t say for sure, but I think your chance of getting accepted is still relatively high. I’m sure they have filled their class (there’s 297 in the KC fb group and some are current students), but some of those people will withdraw before you get your decision. I cannot imagine KCU would fill those empty seats with a current waitlisted applicant before filling it with a recent interview candidate.

I can’t say for sure, but I think your chance of getting accepted is still relatively high. I’m sure they have filled their class (there’s 297 in the KC fb group and some are current students), but some of those people will withdraw before you get your decision. I cannot imagine KCU would fill those empty seats with a current waitlisted applicant before filling it with a recent interview candidate.

I see what you're saying. I didn't think of it that way and it's definitely more encouraging. Thanks!

I see what you're saying. I didn't think of it that way and it's definitely more encouraging. Thanks!

You’re welcome! Good luck on your interview! It wasn’t bad at all. If you answer the questions genuinely and participate in the group activity, you’ll be just fine. :) It sounds like everything else on your app is solid!

Does anybody recall what the total cost of attendance was estimated to be, or what it was for this year? I'm beginning my budget :)

Does anybody recall what the total cost of attendance was estimated to be, or what it was for this year? I'm beginning my budget :)

I can’t find anything for total COA for this year, but it appears that it was $73,299 for last year. Tuition increased by $1654 for this year so I imagine it will be somewhere around $74,953 +/- $1K.

Current students, are there any class events during orientation that aren’t ‘officially’ on the schedule? Meaning, do classes try to do stuff on the weekend(s) before/during orientation like float trip, etc?

Current students, are there any class events during orientation that aren’t ‘officially’ on the schedule? Meaning, do classes try to do stuff on the weekend(s) before/during orientation like float trip, etc?
I think people tried to plan a float trip last year, but I don't think (honestly can't remember) it ended up working out. The school plans social events in the evenings that will have you mingling with some M2s, which is fun. It honestly depends on the class-- if there's someone willing to put something out there and plan an event, people will show up.

I'm curious about how many people are interviewing on March 6th. I think it's the last interview date. Did this year's COB class already interview? Anyone here a late interviewer like myself?

I'm curious about how many people are interviewing on March 6th. I think it's the last interview date. Did this year's COB class already interview? Anyone here a late interviewer like myself?

The current COB Class just interviewed yesterday.

Its definitely changing next year. From what I've heard on the grapevine is that renal, MCM, HDM are being combined with other blocks.

We did a bbq and a float trip IIRC

I still had my big immunzation fold out card from CA. I didn't have lot numbers, just dates and it was fine.

*quietly sneaks paper over to Azmkv showing that the average hourly rate of an ER doc in Missouri is 213/hr, full time is ~120 hours per month, no call, and supplies a great deal of diversity in your day to day work.*

“No one must know about this.” :whistle:
There was an Arkansas EM job posted a while ago that was 11 12h shifts a month, could pick up extra shifts for 250/h, and paid north of 400k

There was an Arkansas EM job posted a while ago that was 11 12h shifts a month, could pick up extra shifts for 250/h, and paid north of 400k
If you want money, go into dermatology or something. EM just isn't worth the aggravation, and it's only going to get worse by the time we're able to practice. Only do EM if you genuinely like the field.