2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you want money, go into dermatology or something. EM just isn't worth the aggravation, and it's only going to get worse by the time we're able to practice. Only do EM if you genuinely like the field.
I love the ER. I was just commenting on the post with something I saw. It all depends on boards/etc too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I love the ER. I was just commenting on the post with something I saw. It all depends on boards/etc too.
Yeah, I meant that more for Pharmd2MD92 and any other prospective students who might think EM is a cush gig. I love EM too, but it's foolish to aim for it without knowing the downsides. And I've heard plenty of people in our class who seem to be in that boat.

Yeah, I meant that more for Pharmd2MD92 and any other prospective students who might think EM is a cush gig. I love EM too, but it's foolish to aim for it without knowing the downsides. And I've heard plenty of people in our class who seem to be in that boat.

I definitely don’t think it’s a cush gig. After all, there’s a reason nearly 60% of EM physicians report burnout. I was just replying to someone worried about making 200K or less, but would enjoy being a primary care physician. And without a doubt, at least 30% of ER work will be primary care. It also happens to pay fairly well. I also love the ER (from what I’ve seen of it). At the end of the day, I won’t know for sure if I love it until I rotate in it and see more of the physician perspective.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm curious about how many people are interviewing on March 6th. I think it's the last interview date. Did this year's COB class already interview? Anyone here a late interviewer like myself?
I'll be there friend

Oh, you sweet summer child...
My interest from my loans so far is $7,600. (less than 2 years o.0)
But we have the... *ahem* privilege of borrowing that CoA money. Those deposits are often out-of-pocket, and that two grand can hit you hard if you don't have access to student loans. I know it did for me...

Reactions: 4 users
But we have the... *ahem* privilege of borrowing that CoA money. Those deposits are often out-of-pocket, and that two grand can hit you hard if you don't have access to student loans. I know it did for me...

Facts

Oh, you sweet summer child...
My interest from my loans so far is $7,600. (less than 2 years o.0)

I’m coming in with $147,000 in loans. Soooo lol I don’t even check the interest at this point. Fortunately, my wife makes a lot of money so from here on out I only have to borrow for tuition. :highfive:

Last edited:

Very true. I've gotten really used to taking out large sums of money and forget what a hassle that fee was.

You do get it back at least if you attend

Members don't see this ad :)
I just double checked power campus, I definitely got the same loan amount refunded both semesters, fall was + 2k because of deposits.

Speaking of refunds... when are the refunds usually dispersed?

Can anyone PM me about loans? I have my FAFSA filled out and I am getting worried since i have not heard back yet. I got the email that it was complete but nothing as far as how much I will be receiving.

Can anyone PM me about loans? I have my FAFSA filled out and I am getting worried since i have not heard back yet. I got the email that it was complete but nothing as far as how much I will be receiving.
Have you logged into NetPartner? FAFSA isn't going to give you an award amount from the school. You will also need to fill out the MPNs

Anyone hear back from the late January, early February interviews?
Interviewed Feb 1. Nothing on my end yet. I read above that they often send out notices on Friday, so maybe soon? Sure hope so, the waiting is hard.

Reactions: 1 users
Can any current student pm me with loan/financial aid information? I was fortunate enough to get a full ride in undergrad so I am coming in to med school debt-free. But that also means I don't know how the loan system works that well. I am working on the docs in NetPartner now, FAFSA was completed today but it hasn't shown up on NetPartner yet.

Can any current student pm me with loan/financial aid information? I was fortunate enough to get a full ride in undergrad so I am coming in to med school debt-free. But that also means I don't know how the loan system works that well. I am working on the docs in NetPartner now, FAFSA was completed today but it hasn't shown up on NetPartner yet.
It won't till KCU gets your FAFSA. You will have to sign a MPN for both loans. Grad Plus has a credit check and you'll have to do loan counseling.

Hey guys. Newcoming student.

Was wondering how I should go about getting numerical titers for vaccines I got a long time.

Thank you.

also when should titers be drawn after vaccination?

You could go to your county health department if you have one. That will be the cheapest route. Otherwise, your primary care physician can fill the paperwork out, order the titers, and do the TB test.

Titers should be drawn at least 6 weeks after the vaccination or vaccination series is completed.

If you work in healthcare, I was just able to get copies of my titers from them. Didn't cost me a cent. Also, anybody else going to student accept day in Joplin? I look forward to meeting some of you there!

You could go to your county health department if you have one. That will be the cheapest route. Otherwise, your primary care physician can fill the paperwork out, order the titers, and do the TB test.

Titers should be drawn at least 6 weeks after the vaccination or vaccination series is completed.
Your PCP might be expensive. Call and ask prices. I did mine through requestatest. Was 150ish for a titer. My insurance covered my TB test and HepB at zero cost.

Any thoughts from current students as to whether KCU is worth the money instead of an MD in-state school acceptance?

Any thoughts from current students as to whether KCU is worth the money instead of an MD in-state school acceptance?

If KCU is cheaper than your instate and you are 100% set on primary care, learning OMM is not a bad idea. MD schools can open a lot more doors, but only if you want to work for them.

Reactions: 3 users
Just accepted to Joplin campus. Couldn't be more excited!

Reactions: 9 users
What happens if you won't be able to finish your immunizations and titer recheck before class starts in July? I interviewed late February, got the titer bloodwork done the following week, and was just now notified that I am not immune to several diseases on the list (Looking at you, hep B). Considering Hep B takes 4-6 months to administer plus the 6 week waiting before the titer recheck, I might not be able to make the deadline. Are they understanding about this kind of thing?

What happens if you won't be able to finish your immunizations and titer recheck before class starts in July? I interviewed late February, got the titer bloodwork done the following week, and was just now notified that I am not immune to several diseases on the list (Looking at you, hep B). Considering Hep B takes 4-6 months to administer plus the 6 week waiting before the titer recheck, I might not be able to make the deadline. Are they understanding about this kind of thing?
I also have that pesky HepB shot series. When I emailed in they said I just needed to have the negative titer results and the at least the first shot in the series by the deadline. As long as you show you're working on it, you'll be fine!

You're fine. Answered in other thread

Does anyone know if there is an unofficial dress code of any sort for accepted students day?

How casual are we talking here?
I think I wore jeans and a flannel and was completely in the norm. One of my friends wore jeans and a T-shirt. Accepted Students' Day is not an interview, it is for you to get to know the school a little better.

Do they go over housing options on Accepted Students' day? This is one of my biggest anxieties...

Do they go over housing options on Accepted Students' day? This is one of my biggest anxieties...
There are people you can ask if they don't specifically mention it! I talked to someone from Student Life and they gave me a bunch of tips about the different areas and what would fit my style-- then I just drove around and checked places out.