Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Thanks! Does the same apply for the meningitis vaccine? I didn’t have any documentation of it so I got my shot for it today and was told I need to get another shot in a month (so after May 1st). So you’re saying I just need to send in what I got and update them saying I’ll send the others later?
Weird. That was one for me. But yes as long as you're in the process they will send you dates other stuff is due

Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
LOL your accepted student day is the day of our neuro final, and the day before (Thursday) we have our neuro practical. So...yeah. Be prepared to see people crying.
Haha. I’m sorry for your pain, although a year from now we’ll be in the same boat. In a way I suppose I’m apologizing to my future self as well. :laugh:

On the bright side, after Friday it’s all over. Then you get to face MOD...

• Haha
Reactions: fldoctorgirl

BellaWriterChic

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Do you disagree? I wouldn't wish this course on my worst enemies.
I mean, it is rough and all but I am with @fldoctorgirl, I would not change schools due to one course. Our classmates are supporting each other to get through. Daily pep talks in the hall from professors and students occur often. Do I want to go into Neuro? Nope. But do I want to be here? Yep.

fldoctorgirl

M1 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I mean, it is rough and all but I am with @fldoctorgirl, I would not change schools due to one course. Our classmates are supporting each other to get through. Daily pep talks in the hall from professors and students occur often. Do I want to go into Neuro? Nope. But do I want to be here? Yep.
Yup. Our professors have acknowledged multiple times that we're doing well given the circumstances-- none of them want to be teaching this course in the amount of time that was given to them either. It's what it is, but we'll get through it.

Reactions: BellaWriterChic
Aug 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
How did everyone get the request for the quantitative titers to bring to a lab to have them drawn? I went to my PCP to get the HepB, Varicella, and MMR titers, and asked multiple people multiple times at my PCP office if they were quantitative, all of which said yes, but turns out they weren't -_-. So now I have to get my titers drawn again. Should I just pay for the quantitative lab titers out of pocket in order for the lab to draw them?

Last edited:

asnontraditionalasitgets

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
How did everyone get the request for the quantitative titers to bring to a lab to have them drawn? I went to my PCP to get the HepB, Varicella, and MMR titers, and ask multiple people multiple times at my PCP office if they were quantitative, all of which said yes, but turns out they weren't -_-. So now I have to get my titers drawn again. Should I just pay for the quantitative lab titers out of pocket in order for the lab to draw them?
I paid out of pocket for mine.

Reactions: c_yang

Starbuxian

SDN Gold Donor
Gold Donor
Aug 4, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
How did everyone get the request for the quantitative titers to bring to a lab to have them drawn? I went to my PCP to get the HepB, Varicella, and MMR titers, and ask multiple people multiple times at my PCP office if they were quantitative, all of which said yes, but turns out they weren't -_-. So now I have to get my titers drawn again. Should I just pay for the quantitative lab titers out of pocket in order for the lab to draw them?
I would try these in order:

1. Ask your PCP to order quantitative titers, give them the KCU web page printout that states this requirement.
2. Call your insurance company to see if they'll pay for another set of labs.
3. Pay out of pocket. Call different labs for their pricing. Ask for discount for paying cash. This could get expensive but chalk it up to another price to be paid to be a doctor.

HTH

cameroonie

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
Jun 17, 2018
Status
Pre-Medical
I went through Accesa labs and it was pretty straight forward. They show an example of the documents that you will receive (which are quantitative) and I had my results back the next day after I got my blood drawn. It was 189$ for all 5 because they have a package deal or something on the website. And you don’t need a physician to order because they have their own physicians or something like that.

BellaWriterChic

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Option if you already work in the healthcare field, my employer at the time had me complete these titers when I was hired on. I was able to request a copy from them for my records and send them to KCU. I even emailed someone at KCU (or SentryMD, cannot remember) to see if these were still valid and they accepted them! I would still double check, but if you got these int eh past from an employer, this could be an option. (This was my PCP’s idea, but he knew where I worked).

Note: This is not for every school. KCU accepted mine when I asked but another school I held an acceptance at at the time said they were not recent enough. So point is, check with the school if you want to try this route.

Jun 17, 2018
Okay is this just me, but when I send requirements separately to Sentry MD they asked for the ones I already sent AGAIN. Also in regards to the HepB series, do we have to get all of them by May 1st. There are waiting periods for the next series passed may 1st. My titers showed immunity and Im going to be out of the country. Will my seat be in jeopardy?

BobbyKoch

2+ Year Member
May 13, 2017
Okay is this just me, but when I send requirements separately to Sentry MD they asked for the ones I already sent AGAIN. Also in regards to the HepB series, do we have to get all of them by May 1st. There are waiting periods for the next series passed may 1st. My titers showed immunity and Im going to be out of the country. Will my seat be in jeopardy?
I made a PDF document and have been adding things to it as I get them done. Each time I resubmit the entire document to Sentry MD and they seem to be ok with that. Regarding HepB, as long as you document that you have gotten the first in the series and continue to update as you go along you should be good. I also showed immunity but in the latest email from KCU they said that I would need to redraw titers for HepB after the series was complete.

I've never encountered such stringent vaccination requirements, but maybe this just covers all possible bases for rotation sites.

Reactions: PreMedLed

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I made a PDF document and have been adding things to it as I get them done. Each time I resubmit the entire document to Sentry MD and they seem to be ok with that. Regarding HepB, as long as you document that you have gotten the first in the series and continue to update as you go along you should be good. I also showed immunity but in the latest email from KCU they said that I would need to redraw titers for HepB after the series was complete.

I've never encountered such stringent vaccination requirements, but maybe this just covers all possible bases for rotation sites.
From what I understand that is exactly it. It is clinical site requirements.

Reactions: BobbyKoch

DrMrsP

KCU C/O 2023
Jan 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
On the KCU Facebook page, there are tons of people selling books. I’m trying to be frugal and spend wisely. What are some “must have” books that I should snag?

And also, how big of a deal is it to have a fifth edition Robbins (I got it at an estate sale for like 2$) and don’t want to buy a newer edition unless necessary. Thanks friends.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
On the KCU Facebook page, there are tons of people selling books. I’m trying to be frugal and spend wisely. What are some “must have” books that I should snag?

And also, how big of a deal is it to have a fifth edition Robbins (I got it at an estate sale for like 2$) and don’t want to buy a newer edition unless necessary. Thanks friends.
I got Panini. That was the only book I bought.If you dont mind PDFs there is an unmentionable resource that goes around. Theres also a fair number available through the library..legally that is

Robbins is on edition 9 now. I would say 8th might be ok...5th no

Reactions: Gamma79 and DrMrsP

LostPuppy

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Costanzo is good to have, IMO.
I agree, I loved every second of reading Costanzo but a lot of my friends never touched it and did just fine. I would say BRS Physiology is a must have in some form though.

LostPuppy

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2015
Status
In addition, I would say it's important to at least have access to (whether hard copy or eBook) Basic Immunology by Abbas, Dubin's EKG book, Dr. Olinger's anatomy atlas, and less importantly Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy for the blue boxes. I'm pretty sure all of these are on the drive but I personally prefer hard copy and referenced each of these many times.

fldoctorgirl

M1 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student

You don't need any hard copy books-- everything will be made available to you. If you're someone who needs a hard copy, buy whatever you'd like, but otherwise it's not necessary. I have a hard copy of Panini and never opened it (the hard copy or the e-book, because our biochem professor tests right off of her slides).

Robbins edition 5 is definitely too old. We may be switching to the new 10th edition next year. Regardless, you don't need Robbins till the end of M1 so don't worry about it.

Reactions: c_yang and DrMrsP
May 21, 2017
Status
Medical Student

There are free copies of all of the books floating around. However if you need physical books, which some people do: Costanzo and BRS phys and panini biochem are all pretty helpful. The Robbins being sold is to the current 1st years lol, you are very far away from needing that. Also you'll be using the 10th edition.

You can also do very well 1st year by following lecture slides and using boards and beyond with your choice of anki deck. Look into those.

Reactions: DrMrsP

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
In addition, I would say it's important to at least have access to (whether hard copy or eBook) Basic Immunology by Abbas, Dubin's EKG book, Dr. Olinger's anatomy atlas, and less importantly Moore's Clinically Oriented Anatomy for the blue boxes. I'm pretty sure all of these are on the drive but I personally prefer hard copy and referenced each of these many times.
I did read the immuno book in PDF. They lectured chapter by chapter so it definitely solidified some concepts. Someone put all of Moores blue boxes into either a file or flashcards. That was nice.

Reactions: musicmed and c_yang
Mar 28, 2018
My own unsolicited advice that I wish I had known last year:

1) Buying a brand new med kit is not a great use of money. Those things are like a grand and are completely unnecessary. You can either buy a set used from 2nd years and resell it later, or you can buy a ~$100 worth of stuff on amazon and get everything you need. Again, you do not need a welch allyn ophthalmoscope to pretend to know what's going on in your classmate's ear two times over the course of a year. I bought a set used from a 2nd year and plan on reselling it for roughly what I paid, but some of my classmates have like $20 otoscopes and they do everything you need.

2) Don't buy textbooks. There will be a reason why 95% of my classmates (and myself) will be selling like-new textbooks this summer - most of us never opened them.

3) Learn how to use brainscape/anki now if you want a relatively straightforward way to be scoring above average. Otherwise, come up with a plan for how you will learn 2-4 lectures per day before you are thrown into the middle of it. You will need to adapt once you're in it, but it's a great idea imo to have a solid plan before it all starts.

4) Go to some meetup stuff with your classmates before orientation. If there isn't one, post one yourself on the facebook group. I met several of my better friends in this class before orientation ever started. I notice a lot of the people I met then are also primarily friends with whoever they met at that point as well.

Good luck

Oct 15, 2018
I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted. I currently have an accepted pending spot at ATSU-KCOM and am waitlisted at MCW-Wausau, so I am weighing my schools in the event that I have more than one option. I loved my visit to KCU and it is definitely my first choice! I did have some questions on the curriculum though that I couldn't find online: is the schedule blocked? are they changing to P/F? How do current students like having exams every other week? Do you stay in one location for your 3rd and 4th year rotations and are they set up for us?

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I interviewed back in October and was waitlisted. I currently have an accepted pending spot at ATSU-KCOM and am waitlisted at MCW-Wausau, so I am weighing my schools in the event that I have more than one option. I loved my visit to KCU and it is definitely my first choice! I did have some questions on the curriculum though that I couldn't find online: is the schedule blocked? are they changing to P/F? How do current students like having exams every other week? Do you stay in one location for your 3rd and 4th year rotations and are they set up for us?
In order yes, no, meh you get used to it, 3rd year only

Mar 28, 2018
There are a few classes that run all semester (omm class, clinical medicine, etc.). On top of that, you'll have one core class at a time. Biochem was 3 weeks, msk anatomy was 6 weeks, others are 3-4, etc. No idea on the p/f but it doesn't really matter IMO - the class is curved to an 85, and class rank means very little, so p/f would provide little value over what we currently have.

Exams every other week are not too fun, but I'm not really sure I would prefer them spaced further apart since there is already so much information to know for each test. Just kinda the nature of medical school. My only complaint is that they give us very little time off to unwind. We had a monster neuro final on thurs/friday, and then we have another test on Tuesday. I see my wife/kids too little, so I do wish they would try a bit harder to give us a more reasonable amount of time off.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
There are a few classes that run all semester (omm class, clinical medicine, etc.). On top of that, you'll have one core class at a time. Biochem was 3 weeks, msk anatomy was 6 weeks, others are 3-4, etc. No idea on the p/f but it doesn't really matter IMO - the class is curved to an 85, and class rank means very little, so p/f would provide little value over what we currently have.

Exams every other week are not too fun, but I'm not really sure I would prefer them spaced further apart since there is already so much information to know for each test. Just kinda the nature of medical school. My only complaint is that they give us very little time off to unwind. We had a monster neuro final on thurs/friday, and then we have another test on Tuesday. I see my wife/kids too little, so I do wish they would try a bit harder to give us a more reasonable amount of time off.
It beats having the CPA during neuro. In super glad they rescheduled it

LostPuppy

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2015
Status

From what I understand they are totally revamping the first years curriculum for next year so we don't really know how it's going to be for them. I believe they are combining classes, i.e. biochem and immuno, cardiopulm and renal, etc. and therefore making the blocks longer so tests might be more spread out.

Regarding time off I completely agree with Hippocrates - this semester has been very rough with so little free time. It has made having a semi balanced life nearly impossible as a single person and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
From what I understand they are totally revamping the first years curriculum for next year so we don't really know how it's going to be for them. I believe they are combining classes, i.e. biochem and immuno, cardiopulm and renal, etc. and therefore making the blocks longer so tests might be more spread out.

Regarding time off I completely agree with Hippocrates - this semester has been very rough with so little free time. It has made having a semi balanced life nearly impossible as a single person and I know I'm not the only one who feels this way.
But hey we get 3 weeks more in summer. I would have taken a week extra for neuro

LostPuppy

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2015
Status
But hey we get 3 weeks more in summer. I would have taken a week extra for neuro
Absolutely, maybe I would have actually learned something instead of relying on short term recall of useless facts to pass the exams.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
Absolutely, maybe I would have actually learned something instead of relying on short term recall of useless facts to pass the exams.
^^ I hated that course. Since MSK I havent struggled. I was so far underwater all of the course it was unreal.

DrMrsP

KCU C/O 2023
Jan 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
My own unsolicited advice that I wish I had known last year:

1) Buying a brand new med kit is not a great use of money. Those things are like a grand and are completely unnecessary. You can either buy a set used from 2nd years and resell it later, or you can buy a ~$100 worth of stuff on amazon and get everything you need. Again, you do not need a welch allyn ophthalmoscope to pretend to know what's going on in your classmate's ear two times over the course of a year. I bought a set used from a 2nd year and plan on reselling it for roughly what I paid, but some of my classmates have like $20 otoscopes and they do everything you need.

2) Don't buy textbooks. There will be a reason why 95% of my classmates (and myself) will be selling like-new textbooks this summer - most of us never opened them.

3) Learn how to use brainscape/anki now if you want a relatively straightforward way to be scoring above average. Otherwise, come up with a plan for how you will learn 2-4 lectures per day before you are thrown into the middle of it. You will need to adapt once you're in it, but it's a great idea imo to have a solid plan before it all starts.

4) Go to some meetup stuff with your classmates before orientation. If there isn't one, post one yourself on the facebook group. I met several of my better friends in this class before orientation ever started. I notice a lot of the people I met then are also primarily friends with whoever they met at that point as well.

Good luck
This is very helpful information. I have not tried brainscape but I found Anki to be not very user friendly. I love Quizlet for flash cards and practice testing. Do you think Quizlet is an adequate replacement for Anki?

shnarf9892

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2014
Status
Pre-Medical
This is very helpful information. I have not tried brainscape but I found Anki to be not very user friendly. I love Quizlet for flash cards and practice testing. Do you think Quizlet is an adequate replacement for Anki?
I have used both Quizlet and Anki for my masters, and I much prefer Anki. Sure, it's not as user friendly off the bat as Quizlet is, but you can do so much more with it. It's also way more customizable, so you can tweak your card structure to your personal preferences. There are tons of tutorials on YouTube, including those created by med students for med students. I feel like Anki helps more with long term retention than quizlet does, and I can create multiple flashcards from one paragraph by numbering the cloze deletions differently. And image occlusion! Oh, how I love image occlusion for anatomy and every diagram or flowchart ever.

IMO, its 100% worth it to watch the tutorials and learn Anki. Once you get past that initial phase of, "I have no idea how the hell to use this program," it's invaluable.

Last edited:
Mar 28, 2018
I've never used quizlet so I cannot say. I alternate between brainscape and anki. Brainscape is prettier, but anki is more functional and customizable IMO and I prefer it. I only use brainscape because a classmate of mine makes cards for it and shares them. Anki isn't pretty but I can it's 100% the reason I score above-average on every test. I'm not the smartest or most capable in my class by far, but the algorithm and functionality of anki is hard to beat.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I think we are supposed to hear from them regarding award amount (loans +scholarships) mid-late April not sure if they said a date yet.
Dont expect much in the way of scholarships. They offer automatic ones based on MCAT and GPA. Loan stuff. Make sure your FAFSA is done and wait for the email about NetPartner

Reactions: Tacti_Turtleneck
Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Dont expect much in the way of scholarships. They offer automatic ones based on MCAT and GPA. Loan stuff. Make sure your FAFSA is done and wait for the email about NetPartner
Yea I expected as much! Just trying to plan out my monthly budget and having the exact number (loan amount) would be helpful.

Reactions: cameroonie

musicmed

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Trying to buy stuff for school and I noticed that business attire is recommended for orientation - is this just for orientation or is business casual expected in class?
First day of orientation is professional dress because you’ll be taking your school ID pic in your white coat. Most of the other days, casual should be fine unless indicated. Some even wear shorts.

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
First day of orientation is professional dress because you’ll be taking your school ID pic in your white coat. Most of the other days, casual should be fine unless indicated. Some even wear shorts.
I stuck with business casual for like 3 days. Then we had the we care day and then the trip to KC. I gave up on it at that point. No way I was sitting in a bus for 6 hours without being comfortable