Oct 16, 2017
Status
Medical Student (Accepted)
Out of curiosity, did anyone here get any scholarships/grants? Or did you all just get hella loans like me?
I’m on that 76,042 train for life! Well, for this year at least. Then my wife is paying all of our living expenses. But I feel your pain. Clicking “accept all” stung. We’ll be broke together.

fldoctorgirl

M1 transplanted from the beach to the midwest
2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if this was already asked but can a current first year let me know how the health insurance works and how much your monthly premium is?
Health insurance is $207 (I believe, I know it's 200-and-something lol) a month for a single individual. You can pay per semester or for the whole year.

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Health insurance is $207 (I believe, I know it's 200-and-something lol) a month for a single individual. You can pay per semester or for the whole year.
Yikes scoob. Is that included in the COA that they sent us, or is it separate?

Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Yikes scoob. Is that included in the COA that they sent us, or is it separate?
I think it is separate. The estimated COA breakdown on the netpartner is as follows:

Tuition$48,910.00
Activity Fee$70.00
Technology Fee$150.00
Living Allowance$22,250.00
Books / Supplies$3,332.00
Loan Fees$1,330.00

It may fall under the "living allowance" category but I am not sure. I think that's kind of a spend it on what you need it for category (rent, food, etc.)

musicmed

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
I don't know if this was already asked but can a current first year let me know how the health insurance works and how much your monthly premium is?
2nd year here. KCU just began offering health insurance this past year. Through the Missouri health marketplace I was paying $467/mo for Cigna silver level with a $7000 deductible. With KCU insurance, the price works out to $207/mo with a $250 deductible with Blue Cross Blue Shield with comparable if not better coverage. You will have to pay for it per semester but it is included as part of your living expenses for financial aid.

If you already have health insurance through your parent or spouse, it has to be meet certain requirements and then you can fill out the form to opt out of the school’s insurance.

Coverage Requirements for All Students Seeking to Waive:
- Insurance company must be operated and based in the United States
- ACA compliant plan
- $3,000 deductible or less (for individuals)
- Unlimited plan maximum
- Valid in Kansas or Missouri (no out of state Medicaid or HMO plans)

If you lose your parent’s coverage, in the middle of the semester, you have a qualifying life event to enroll in the school’s health plan.

musicmed

5+ Year Member
Nov 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
2nd year here. As for buying an otoscope/ophthalmoscope, you will need it a lot 2nd year. Arguably, you could probably get away with not having one first year by borrowing a classmate’s who is not in your lab group but you will definitely need one for Score 1 physicals during 2nd year. During fall, it felt like we did Score 1 every other week. You don’t need to buy the super nice expensive ophthalmoscope but the standard one should be ok. Some guys I know who bought a cheap one off Amazon were asking to borrow a classmate’s Welch Allyn or Heine otoscope because theirs didn’t work as well. Others are fine with buying the cheaper one on Amazon. If you’re looking to save, I’d also check eBay. You will be able to sell your Med kit if you want to recoup some/most of your money so please at least look into a proper otoscope/ophthalmoscope- yes, you do need both (usually comes as a set).

As for the different sized BP cuffs, you will need them once or twice during Score 1 if you are doing BP. Sometimes, they have extras but you need the diff sizes for the kiddos.

Reflex hammer is handy but you can use your cellphone if you’re in a pinch. There’s usually a reflex hammer in the SP exam rooms but they’re nice to have during Score 1 physicals for sanitary reasons.

Stethoscope is a must have!

You can use whatever bag you want to put your gear in.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your time before Med school becomes your life!

Jul 5, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
Had a quick question regarding 3/4 year rotations. How likely is it that I might stay in KC? I have a SO moving with me and she will be getting a job in KC. If possible we would like some stability there.

jcve34

Hic Sunt Leones
2+ Year Member
Jul 11, 2016
WAMI
Had a quick question regarding 3/4 year rotations. How likely is it that I might stay in KC? I have a SO moving with me and she will be getting a job in KC. If possible we would like some stability there.
Write a DME. But your fate is never guaranteed when it comes to clinical rotations and getting your top pick.

DME = letter begging to get a certain spot based on some life circumstance.

Jun 12, 2018
Status
Anyone having issues with the MPN. I filled it twice now but netpartner hasn’t updated. It’s been a few days

Jun 6, 2018
Status
When is the deadline for when you have to return excess financial aid? I don't want to undershoot the amount to take out, but my parents/grandparents surprised me and offered to pay for my rent for the first six months. Is it 15 days from the disbursement or do you have more time closer to the end of the semester to return an excess amount? Also is there a hard date for when you have to select how much you need to take out?

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
When is the deadline for when you have to return excess financial aid? I don't want to undershoot the amount to take out, but my parents/grandparents surprised me and offered to pay for my rent for the first six months. Is it 15 days from the disbursement or do you have more time closer to the end of the semester to return an excess amount? Also is there a hard date for when you have to select how much you need to take out?
I believe it is 120 days.

Reactions: Hawksfan277
Feb 26, 2019
Status
Medical Student
So I'm still a little confused on loans. If what we got recently is just the estimated amount as someone stated earlier, does that mean we have the option to take out more once they do credit checks?

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
So I'm still a little confused on loans. If what we got recently is just the estimated amount as someone stated earlier, does that mean we have the option to take out more once they do credit checks?
No, you can only take out more via private loans or if you attempt to submit something unique to you, like childcare costs. You can borrow up to the cost of attendance from the government.

Nov 12, 2017
Status
Does anyone know how/when KCU verifies your health insurance info (for those of us already on plans)? They sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification, but for the life of me I don’t remember ever filling that out.

Apr 10, 2018
Texas
Status
Can anyone provide insight for me please? so I accepted the financial aid amount which wont be dispersed until around August 1st it says which is fine, but I have a ton of expenses like a laptop, rent for 2 months, and money for the medical kit intend to purchase from a current student. Does anyone have any experience taking out additional loans and if so what type and from where? I was planning on doing a student loan from Discover and pay it off once I get my money from Financial aid. any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Does anyone know how/when KCU verifies your health insurance info (for those of us already on plans)? They sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification, but for the life of me I don’t remember ever filling that out.
It's through SentryMD where you submitted all your vaccine info.

Can anyone provide insight for me please? so I accepted the financial aid amount which wont be dispersed until around August 1st it says which is fine, but I have a ton of expenses like a laptop, rent for 2 months, and money for the medical kit intend to purchase from a current student. Does anyone have any experience taking out additional loans and if so what type and from where? I was planning on doing a student loan from Discover and pay it off once I get my money from Financial aid. any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't take out an extra loan unless you absolutely have to. See if you can borrow money from someone for a couple of months and pay them back once you have your disbursement in August. We all had those same expenses and I don't know anyone who took out an extra loan.

Reactions: dohopeful13
Apr 10, 2018
Texas
Status

I wouldn't take out an extra loan unless you absolutely have to. See if you can borrow money from someone for a couple of months and pay them back once you have your disbursement in August. We all had those same expenses and I don't know anyone who took out an extra loan.
If I had someone to loan me the money I would but that is not an option. I come from a very poor family.

Nov 12, 2017
Status
I logged into SentryMD and I don't see any form for that. It's weird. The email says I've already done it but I do not remember being asked my health insurance at all.

Nov 12, 2017
Status
I went back and looked at the SentryMD packet from KCU's matriculation page and health insurance is not on it, but I found an older version on google where it is. Have any of you c/o 2023 peeps sent in your health insurance information?

Jul 14, 2017
Status
I went back and looked at the SentryMD packet from KCU's matriculation page and health insurance is not on it, but I found an older version on google where it is. Have any of you c/o 2023 peeps sent in your health insurance information?
I haven't sent anything on health Insurance. I thought it was verified during orientation or something?

Nov 12, 2017
Status
I haven't sent anything on health Insurance. I thought it was verified during orientation or something?
You are correct. I just checked the FAQ of the matriculation page and it says that option will be at orientation. I was just confused that they sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification. Probably a typo on their part as they used to require it to be submitted with the SentryMD packet.

Reactions: Schwifty

asnontraditionalasitgets

SDN Bronze Donor
Bronze Donor
2+ Year Member
May 4, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
You are correct. I just checked the FAQ of the matriculation page and it says that option will be at orientation. I was just confused that they sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification. Probably a typo on their part as they used to require it to be submitted with the SentryMD packet.
I got the same email and did not send in my health insurance info.

Mar 16, 2018
Status
Medical Student
I'm hoping this helps a small amount because I was in the same boat when I started last year. Don't take out any additional loans if you can avoid it. If you have your rent covered you will be fine! We got our disbursements for the first semester before classes started, and I want to say it happened during orientation/before August 1st so there was plenty of time to order things. Take advantage of the student discount on Amazon Prime. You can get away with not having a laptop for some time; they provide ipads (highly recommend getting a cheap keyboard for it when you do get your refund) and the only thing I've really needed a computer for all year was our post-SP encounter assignments on BlueLine (it needs Flash to work). If you end up not being able to buy a used med kit (I think people were selling them into the first month of classes last year so you should be ok) order the stethoscope and borrow friends' equipment until you can get your own or buy a used kit the following year. I can only speak for what I've experienced on the Joplin campus - everything except the stethoscope is provided during SP encounters, someone in lab is always willing to share their equipment, and a lot of people still do not have all their medical equipment. Congrats on your acceptance!

Apr 10, 2018
Texas
Status
I'm hoping this helps a small amount because I was in the same boat when I started last year. Don't take out any additional loans if you can avoid it. If you have your rent covered you will be fine! We got our disbursements for the first semester before classes started, and I want to say it happened during orientation/before August 1st so there was plenty of time to order things. Take advantage of the student discount on Amazon Prime. You can get away with not having a laptop for some time; they provide ipads (highly recommend getting a cheap keyboard for it when you do get your refund) and the only thing I've really needed a computer for all year was our post-SP encounter assignments on BlueLine (it needs Flash to work). If you end up not being able to buy a used med kit (I think people were selling them into the first month of classes last year so you should be ok) order the stethoscope and borrow friends' equipment until you can get your own or buy a used kit the following year. I can only speak for what I've experienced on the Joplin campus - everything except the stethoscope is provided during SP encounters, someone in lab is always willing to share their equipment, and a lot of people still do not have all their medical equipment. Congrats on your acceptance!
Thank you so much!

Reactions: DoctorWhen

DrMrsP

KCU C/O 2023
Jan 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Hey, I totally get it. My husband is a teacher and I work as a scribe full time right now, so that has helped a lot with my expenses. That being said, I've tried to find the best deal on things. I pieced together a med kit from Amazon for about $300 which is cheaper than I've seen anyone sell it on Facebook. My parents were very generous and got me a stethoscope, so it was everything besides that that I purchased. There's a good "unofficial KCU med kit list" floating around on here. I can try to find it again and send it your way. I would wait on the laptop as long as possible since they do give us an iPad at orientation and help us set it up. As for rent, that's a tough one and at the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope this info helps a little. Cheers to the next four years of loan life!

Reactions: Avgstats22

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I would wait on the laptop as long as possible since they do give us an iPad at orientation and help us set it up
Second this. You definitely won't need a laptop for awhile (some people don't even use them at all), so I would delay that as long as you can.

Aug 3, 2018
Status
What happens if we accept the financial aid amount but end up getting off a waitlist at another school? can we return the financial aid?

Oct 16, 2017
Status
What happens if we accept the financial aid amount but end up getting off a waitlist at another school? can we return the financial aid?

Yes you can. Loans will not be dispersed to the school until mid July and your refund wouldn’t come until August 1st.

Aug 3, 2018
Status
May 9, 2018
Status
Sorry if this has been asked already! But does anyone have an idea of which iPad we get and what kind of technology guidelines there will be? I know the matriculation website hasn’t updated yet - just wondering if any current students have any insight!

Reactions: DrMrsP

BellaWriterChic

2+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2015
Status
Medical Student
Sorry if this has been asked already! But does anyone have an idea of which iPad we get and what kind of technology guidelines there will be? I know the matriculation website hasn’t updated yet - just wondering if any current students have any insight!
We got this year the most recent version. We got that information sometime in the summer, and as soon as I got that information and found out the iPad was Apple pencil compatible I went ahead and ordered in Apple pencil. I highly recommend that. But I would wait until you know which version for sure you have since now there's 2 versions of the pencil out, not sure if there are compatibility issues.

May 1, 2019
Status
Pre-Medical
Guys, is there a "Commit to enroll" on the AACOMAS site? I have completed all the KCU matriculation required items, but if I log in to AACOMAS, it automatically opens the re-apply for next cycle page. Same with the others?

Nov 12, 2017
Status
Guys, is there a "Commit to enroll" on the AACOMAS site? I have completed all the KCU matriculation required items, but if I log in to AACOMAS, it automatically opens the re-apply for next cycle page. Same with the others?
I don't think there is. All I know is today schools can see if you hold two seats and drop you if so.

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
I went ahead and ordered in Apple pencil. I highly recommend that.
Or, if you don't want to drop $100 on a stylus, there are other ones that you can order for like $15. I've been using a cheaper one all year and haven't had any issues! Definitely recommend a stylus of some sort, though.

DrMrsP

KCU C/O 2023
Jan 3, 2018
Status
Medical Student
Any recommendations on a keyboard for the iPad? I really like the smart folios from Apple for the pros, but I don’t think they have them for the regular iPad

fldoctorgirl

2+ Year Member
Feb 13, 2017
Status
Medical Student
Any recommendations on a keyboard for the iPad? I really like the smart folios from Apple for the pros, but I don’t think they have them for the regular iPad
Most people use whatever keyboard came with their case if they were interested in a keyboard.

Kiwi95

2+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I just got admitted to a different DO off the waitlist today. I’m still most likely coming to KCU, but is there anything I need to do on AACOMAS so I don’t risk losing my seat? I can’t complete registration or payment or any of that stuff at the other school for a couple days per their email

Oct 9, 2018
I just got admitted to a different DO off the waitlist today. I’m still most likely coming to KCU, but is there anything I need to do on AACOMAS so I don’t risk losing my seat? I can’t complete registration or payment or any of that stuff at the other school for a couple days per their email
Try to log into AACOMAS now and all it will do is try to make you log in as a re-applicant lol. I think you're good homie.

Reactions: Kiwi95

Magus5454

MS1 C/O 2022
2+ Year Member
Feb 23, 2015
Arkansas
Status
Medical Student
I dont even
Just when you decide make sure you email/call the school you wont be attending

Reactions: Kiwi95