2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had a quick question regarding 3/4 year rotations. How likely is it that I might stay in KC? I have a SO moving with me and she will be getting a job in KC. If possible we would like some stability there.

Write a DME. But your fate is never guaranteed when it comes to clinical rotations and getting your top pick.

DME = letter begging to get a certain spot based on some life circumstance.

Members don't see this ad.

Write a DME. But your fate is never guaranteed when it comes to clinical rotations and getting your top pick.

DME = letter begging to get a certain spot based on some life circumstance.
How are clinical sites chosen, is it a lottery based system?

How are clinical sites chosen, is it a lottery based system?

You rank your preferences for sites. Then an algorithm is used to match as many people to their highest ranked spot. So I got my third choice.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone having issues with the MPN. I filled it twice now but netpartner hasn’t updated. It’s been a few days

Any incoming Joplin students looking for a roommate? Feel free to PM me!

When is the deadline for when you have to return excess financial aid? I don't want to undershoot the amount to take out, but my parents/grandparents surprised me and offered to pay for my rent for the first six months. Is it 15 days from the disbursement or do you have more time closer to the end of the semester to return an excess amount? Also is there a hard date for when you have to select how much you need to take out?

When is the deadline for when you have to return excess financial aid? I don't want to undershoot the amount to take out, but my parents/grandparents surprised me and offered to pay for my rent for the first six months. Is it 15 days from the disbursement or do you have more time closer to the end of the semester to return an excess amount? Also is there a hard date for when you have to select how much you need to take out?
I believe it is 120 days.

Reactions: 1 user
Out of curiosity, did anyone here get any scholarships/grants? Or did you all just get hella loans like me?
No grants for anyone school offers scholarships based on MCAT and GPA

So I'm still a little confused on loans. If what we got recently is just the estimated amount as someone stated earlier, does that mean we have the option to take out more once they do credit checks?

So I'm still a little confused on loans. If what we got recently is just the estimated amount as someone stated earlier, does that mean we have the option to take out more once they do credit checks?
No, you can only take out more via private loans or if you attempt to submit something unique to you, like childcare costs. You can borrow up to the cost of attendance from the government.

Does anyone know how/when KCU verifies your health insurance info (for those of us already on plans)? They sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification, but for the life of me I don’t remember ever filling that out.

Can anyone provide insight for me please? so I accepted the financial aid amount which wont be dispersed until around August 1st it says which is fine, but I have a ton of expenses like a laptop, rent for 2 months, and money for the medical kit intend to purchase from a current student. Does anyone have any experience taking out additional loans and if so what type and from where? I was planning on doing a student loan from Discover and pay it off once I get my money from Financial aid. any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.

Does anyone know how/when KCU verifies your health insurance info (for those of us already on plans)? They sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification, but for the life of me I don’t remember ever filling that out.
It's through SentryMD where you submitted all your vaccine info.

Can anyone provide insight for me please? so I accepted the financial aid amount which wont be dispersed until around August 1st it says which is fine, but I have a ton of expenses like a laptop, rent for 2 months, and money for the medical kit intend to purchase from a current student. Does anyone have any experience taking out additional loans and if so what type and from where? I was planning on doing a student loan from Discover and pay it off once I get my money from Financial aid. any tips or words of advice would be greatly appreciated.
I wouldn't take out an extra loan unless you absolutely have to. See if you can borrow money from someone for a couple of months and pay them back once you have your disbursement in August. We all had those same expenses and I don't know anyone who took out an extra loan.

Members don't see this ad :)

I wouldn't take out an extra loan unless you absolutely have to. See if you can borrow money from someone for a couple of months and pay them back once you have your disbursement in August. We all had those same expenses and I don't know anyone who took out an extra loan.
If I had someone to loan me the money I would but that is not an option. I come from a very poor family.

I logged into SentryMD and I don't see any form for that. It's weird. The email says I've already done it but I do not remember being asked my health insurance at all.

I went back and looked at the SentryMD packet from KCU's matriculation page and health insurance is not on it, but I found an older version on google where it is. Have any of you c/o 2023 peeps sent in your health insurance information?

I went back and looked at the SentryMD packet from KCU's matriculation page and health insurance is not on it, but I found an older version on google where it is. Have any of you c/o 2023 peeps sent in your health insurance information?

I haven't sent anything on health Insurance. I thought it was verified during orientation or something?

I haven't sent anything on health Insurance. I thought it was verified during orientation or something?

You are correct. I just checked the FAQ of the matriculation page and it says that option will be at orientation. I was just confused that they sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification. Probably a typo on their part as they used to require it to be submitted with the SentryMD packet.

You are correct. I just checked the FAQ of the matriculation page and it says that option will be at orientation. I was just confused that they sent me an email saying they had everything from me including health insurance verification. Probably a typo on their part as they used to require it to be submitted with the SentryMD packet.

I got the same email and did not send in my health insurance info.

I'm hoping this helps a small amount because I was in the same boat when I started last year. Don't take out any additional loans if you can avoid it. If you have your rent covered you will be fine! We got our disbursements for the first semester before classes started, and I want to say it happened during orientation/before August 1st so there was plenty of time to order things. Take advantage of the student discount on Amazon Prime. You can get away with not having a laptop for some time; they provide ipads (highly recommend getting a cheap keyboard for it when you do get your refund) and the only thing I've really needed a computer for all year was our post-SP encounter assignments on BlueLine (it needs Flash to work). If you end up not being able to buy a used med kit (I think people were selling them into the first month of classes last year so you should be ok) order the stethoscope and borrow friends' equipment until you can get your own or buy a used kit the following year. I can only speak for what I've experienced on the Joplin campus - everything except the stethoscope is provided during SP encounters, someone in lab is always willing to share their equipment, and a lot of people still do not have all their medical equipment. Congrats on your acceptance!

I'm hoping this helps a small amount because I was in the same boat when I started last year. Don't take out any additional loans if you can avoid it. If you have your rent covered you will be fine! We got our disbursements for the first semester before classes started, and I want to say it happened during orientation/before August 1st so there was plenty of time to order things. Take advantage of the student discount on Amazon Prime. You can get away with not having a laptop for some time; they provide ipads (highly recommend getting a cheap keyboard for it when you do get your refund) and the only thing I've really needed a computer for all year was our post-SP encounter assignments on BlueLine (it needs Flash to work). If you end up not being able to buy a used med kit (I think people were selling them into the first month of classes last year so you should be ok) order the stethoscope and borrow friends' equipment until you can get your own or buy a used kit the following year. I can only speak for what I've experienced on the Joplin campus - everything except the stethoscope is provided during SP encounters, someone in lab is always willing to share their equipment, and a lot of people still do not have all their medical equipment. Congrats on your acceptance!
Thank you so much!

Hey, I totally get it. My husband is a teacher and I work as a scribe full time right now, so that has helped a lot with my expenses. That being said, I've tried to find the best deal on things. I pieced together a med kit from Amazon for about $300 which is cheaper than I've seen anyone sell it on Facebook. My parents were very generous and got me a stethoscope, so it was everything besides that that I purchased. There's a good "unofficial KCU med kit list" floating around on here. I can try to find it again and send it your way. I would wait on the laptop as long as possible since they do give us an iPad at orientation and help us set it up. As for rent, that's a tough one and at the end of the day, you gotta do what you gotta do. I hope this info helps a little. Cheers to the next four years of loan life!

I would wait on the laptop as long as possible since they do give us an iPad at orientation and help us set it up
Second this. You definitely won't need a laptop for awhile (some people don't even use them at all), so I would delay that as long as you can.

Any waitlist movement yet? When should we expect the ball to really get rolling?

Any waitlist movement yet? When should we expect the ball to really get rolling?
I've been guessing that movement would start after the 3rd since that was the waitlist survey deadline. Guess we'll see!

What happens if we accept the financial aid amount but end up getting off a waitlist at another school? can we return the financial aid?

What happens if we accept the financial aid amount but end up getting off a waitlist at another school? can we return the financial aid?

Yes you can. Loans will not be dispersed to the school until mid July and your refund wouldn’t come until August 1st.

Sorry if this has been asked already! But does anyone have an idea of which iPad we get and what kind of technology guidelines there will be? I know the matriculation website hasn’t updated yet - just wondering if any current students have any insight!

Sorry if this has been asked already! But does anyone have an idea of which iPad we get and what kind of technology guidelines there will be? I know the matriculation website hasn’t updated yet - just wondering if any current students have any insight!
We got this year the most recent version. We got that information sometime in the summer, and as soon as I got that information and found out the iPad was Apple pencil compatible I went ahead and ordered in Apple pencil. I highly recommend that. But I would wait until you know which version for sure you have since now there's 2 versions of the pencil out, not sure if there are compatibility issues.

Reactions: 2 users
Guys, is there a "Commit to enroll" on the AACOMAS site? I have completed all the KCU matriculation required items, but if I log in to AACOMAS, it automatically opens the re-apply for next cycle page. Same with the others?

Guys, is there a "Commit to enroll" on the AACOMAS site? I have completed all the KCU matriculation required items, but if I log in to AACOMAS, it automatically opens the re-apply for next cycle page. Same with the others?

I don't think there is. All I know is today schools can see if you hold two seats and drop you if so.

I went ahead and ordered in Apple pencil. I highly recommend that.
Or, if you don't want to drop $100 on a stylus, there are other ones that you can order for like $15. I've been using a cheaper one all year and haven't had any issues! Definitely recommend a stylus of some sort, though.

Any recommendations on a keyboard for the iPad? I really like the smart folios from Apple for the pros, but I don’t think they have them for the regular iPad

Any recommendations on a keyboard for the iPad? I really like the smart folios from Apple for the pros, but I don’t think they have them for the regular iPad
Most people use whatever keyboard came with their case if they were interested in a keyboard.

I just got admitted to a different DO off the waitlist today. I’m still most likely coming to KCU, but is there anything I need to do on AACOMAS so I don’t risk losing my seat? I can’t complete registration or payment or any of that stuff at the other school for a couple days per their email

I just got admitted to a different DO off the waitlist today. I’m still most likely coming to KCU, but is there anything I need to do on AACOMAS so I don’t risk losing my seat? I can’t complete registration or payment or any of that stuff at the other school for a couple days per their email
Try to log into AACOMAS now and all it will do is try to make you log in as a re-applicant lol. I think you're good homie.

I dont even
Just when you decide make sure you email/call the school you wont be attending

Was accepted last week to my state MD program. Let go of my seat here, even though I was a little reluctant to do so. KCU is a great school and I hope one of you guys holding out on the waitlist hears some great news soon!

Reactions: 7 users
Any waitlist movement? It seems pretty quiet this late into May or is it just me?

Any waitlist movement? It seems pretty quiet this late into May or is it just me?
I literally just got accepted off the waitlist a few min ago at the Joplin location! Hang in there, I hope you hear something soon!

Reactions: 6 users
Same Here! Accepted to Joplin by Phone Call

Reactions: 3 users
Will you be attending? Also when do you have to give the deposit by?
I'm a little disappointed that it's the Joplin campus (interviewed at KC and loved it). KCU has been my top choice since I interviewed in November. I plan to attend. The deposit of $2,000 is due May 30th