2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm a little disappointed that it's the Joplin campus (interviewed at KC and loved it). KCU has been my top choice since I interviewed in November. I plan to attend. The deposit of $2,000 is due May 30th
Dont hate on Joplin till you see it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a little disappointed that it's the Joplin campus (interviewed at KC and loved it). KCU has been my top choice since I interviewed in November. I plan to attend. The deposit of $2,000 is due May 30th

I interviewed at Joplin and I was wow'ed by the campus! Very beautiful and was hoping I got accepted there instead of KC. So hopefully KC lives up to my expectations after Joplin!

I interviewed at Joplin and I was wow'ed by the campus! Very beautiful and was hoping I got accepted there instead of KC. So hopefully KC lives up to my expectations after Joplin!
Wanna trade? Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wanna trade? Lol

I would if that was a thing :p

But the Joplin campus is so nice. I was honestly disappointed I didn’t get KC but I felt so much better after visiting the Joplin campus on accepted students day. It’s a beautiful campus with some quality rotations. Hopefully the small town feel grows on me once I’m there.

I would if that was a thing :p

But the Joplin campus is so nice. I was honestly disappointed I didn’t get KC but I felt so much better after visiting the Joplin campus on accepted students day. It’s a beautiful campus with some quality rotations. Hopefully the small town feel grows on me once I’m there.
I dont really like that its only one building, but that honestly all I really know about it. Can you explain in more detail what you liked about it? Also, do you know if there is score 1 at the joplin location?

Just gave up my seat. Hope it goes to one of you. Also, I am backing out of lease at Century Towers -The Centro. If you are interested in taking it up at KCU, send me a message.

Honestly lowkey same. But at the same time Joplin was too rural for me so I think I’ll be a better fit at the KC campus. The only thing that worries me is the class size

I dont really like that its only one building, but that honestly all I really know about it. Can you explain in more detail what you liked about it? Also, do you know if there is score 1 at the joplin location?

Brand new facilities. Lots of natural light and a lot of creative study spaces. I interviewed at 5 campuses (including KC and an MD program) and Joplin was my favorite facility. I’m not in love with small towns, but I have zero concerns about the school. The exclusive rotations are also a big plus.

I believe Joplin launched its Score 1 a few months ago

Brand new facilities. Lots of natural light and a lot of creative study spaces. I interviewed at 5 campuses (including KC and an MD program) and Joplin was my favorite facility. I’m not in love with small towns, but I have zero concerns about the school. The exclusive rotations are also a big plus.

I believe Joplin launched its Score 1 a few months ago
Thanks! I'm still stoked regardless. I loved my interview at KCU and it just felt right, so I'm so excited to be off the waitlist. And now I can wear the T-shirt from interview day without feeling like I'm jinxing myself or a fraud

Reactions: 2 users
One building is one of the best things
Yes to score 1 and other early clinical stuff

Thanks! I'm still stoked regardless. I loved my interview at KCU and it just felt right, so I'm so excited to be off the waitlist. And now I can wear the T-shirt from interview day without feeling like I'm jinxing myself or a fraud

That KCU shirt is quality! The cotton is so soft.

Reactions: 6 users
Did the class size change this year or is it still going to be around 270? I can’t remember if that was mentioned

Members don't see this ad :)
On the budget information for loans, there is a category called "Loan Fees" that is $1,330. Does anyone know what this is? I'm trying to figure out how much loans to take out.
Those are origination fees: "Origination fees are the only fees associated with today's federal student loans. Federal law dictates the fee amount. For subsidized and unsubsidizedstudent loans, the fee is 1.068 percent. For PLUSstudent loans, the fee is 4.272 percent." (this quote is from 2016 so those rates probably aren't accurate, but yeah)

Accepted to Joplin campus this morning. Deciding between this acceptance and UNECOM. Anybody have any insight comparing the 2 schools?

Accepted to Joplin campus this morning. Deciding between this acceptance and UNECOM. Anybody have any insight comparing the 2 schools?
I chose KCU-KC over UNECOM, if you want to PM me. However, I cannot say I would have chose KCU in the end if I was accepted to the Joplin campus.

Edit:
- KCU is cheaper tuition wise and COL wise.
- UNE has mandatory lectures (for 2nd year I believe?)
- quality of clinical rotation sites for KCU was better in my opinion
- it seemed that UNE had a lot of internal issues whereas KCU-Joplin seemed open to student feedback.
- also what place is closer to your support system and what city do you think you would be happier in? Definitely something to consider as well.

Last edited:
I chose KCU-KC over UNECOM, if you want to PM me. However, I cannot say I would have chose KCU in the end if I was accepted to the Joplin campus.

Edit:
- KCU is cheaper tuition wise and COL wise.
- UNE has mandatory lectures (for 2nd year I believe?)
- quality of clinical rotation sites for KCU was better in my opinion
- it seemed that UNE had a lot of internal issues whereas KCU-Joplin seemed open to student feedback.
- also what place is closer to your support system and what city do you think you would be happier in? Definitely something to consider as well.
Mandatory lectures suck. Joplin has Mercy and Freeman

Accepted off the wait list. Interviewed sometime in december!

• Wow
Reactions: 6 users
Hey Joplin friends. Are you all okay? Saw there was a tornado on the ground near you all!

Hey Joplin friends. Are you all okay? Saw there was a tornado on the ground near you all!

All good here. People at school were in the Lecture Hall, as that is the certified shelter on campus. The community also has many community shelters, as do apartments. So tip, make sure you know your closest shelter to your residence. There still is a watch, but I think the worst has passed.

Reactions: 5 users
Withdrew my acceptance at the KC campus today. Hopefully one of you guys gets it! I also signed a lease at Century towers for a Metro floorplan apartment. It’s on a higher floor with updated flooring. Send me a message if you’re interested in taking it!

hey guys, heard joplin has some issues with naders (tornadoes), anything to add with this or am I just being a bit too paranoid?

hey guys, heard joplin has some issues with naders (tornadoes), anything to add with this or am I just being a bit too paranoid?
Biggest thing is be prepared. Know where the closest shelter is to you and have a way to watch the local stations for weather (either via Cable or Rabbit Ears if you don't buy a TV package like I did. Best Buy sells them. Phone apps also are useful). If you are at school, the Lecture Hall is your shelter to go to. When the sirens went off, I had everything important in my backpack and took it with me to the shelter space. According to my neighbors, it has not been like this for a few years. So I suggest just know your plan and locations for wherever you are. It is easier to have a plan before something happens than trying to figure it out which in the middle of a situation.

Biggest thing is be prepared. Know where the closest shelter is to you and have a way to watch the local stations for weather (either via Cable or Rabbit Ears if you don't buy a TV package like I did. Best Buy sells them. Phone apps also are useful). If you are at school, the Lecture Hall is your shelter to go to. When the sirens went off, I had everything important in my backpack and took it with me to the shelter space. According to my neighbors, it has not been like this for a few years. So I suggest just know your plan and locations for wherever you are. It is easier to have a plan before something happens than trying to figure it out which in the middle of a situation.
this isn't a common occurence right? like once or twice a year or more than this? thank you for your detailed response btw.

this isn't a common occurence right? like once or twice a year or more than this? thank you for your detailed response btw.
No. Spring time is more likely but not crazy often. Now someone who is from Joplin can better elaborate on statistics for this area but my home area was in a tornado area as well, so for me this weather isn't new.

There is nothing intrinsic about Joplin as a town specifically and tornadoes other than that they had the misfortune of being hit by a historically huge one. If you’re worried tornadoes, it’s probably best to avoid all of Oklahoma, Texas, Missouri, Kansas, southern Illinois, etc as that is the region that has them the most. Best thing you can do is just be prepared and have a shelter ready should you be struck.

Of course if you live out west you worry about earthquakes or if you live on the coasts you worry about hurricanes. My hometown sits on a fault line with a roughly 10% chance of a catastrophic earthquake in the next 50 years. Every region has its vice. It’s best to just worry about what you can control and be prepared.

Never fear, the Midwest is the land where Opes and dreams come true.

Tornado season peaks around May. Severe tornadoes are rare, usually just some superficial damage to houses and trees. And hail damage, can't forget that.

There is always warning well before tornadic weather approaches. You won't be caught off guard unless you don't pay attention to the weather at all.

Congrats to everyone getting accepted! I'm a student at the Joplin campus and am currently looking for a roommate (prefer female). Feel free to DM me for more details or if you have any questions about KCU :)

I got the acceptance call this past Friday so I'm also looking for a roommate! (Joplin campus)

Reactions: 3 users
yea everyone needs to chill out about the tornadoes lol. I am moving to Joplin from the Texas Panhandle and the amount of extreme weather is normal during the summer. I am looking forward to watching the storms roll into my new home.

Withdrew my acceptance from KCU a few days ago... tough decision. I hope it goes to one of you deserving folks!

Called admissions today. She didn't give me much more than there's been some movement at both campuses & movement can occur up until class starts. Not too helpful, but I thought I'd share.

It would be nice if they would just tell you where you’re at on the list. They have to have one, it’s not a lottery system (I don’t think). It would only take one second to ctrl F and find a name on the list, so people could plan ahead if they need to move across the country and find housing/jobs/schools etc. How is this the best system we can come up with?

It would be nice if they would just tell you where you’re at on the list. They have to have one, it’s not a lottery system (I don’t think). It would only take one second to ctrl F and find a name on the list, so people could plan ahead if they need to move across the country and find housing/jobs/schools etc. How is this the best system we can come up with?
When I've called in the past, they've said they don't rank. The admissions team looks at all the waitlisters, pick some people & send them to the dean for final decision. If I remember correctly.

A lot of schools don't rank their WL, or at least the party line is that they don't.

When I've called in the past, they've said they don't rank. The admissions team looks at all the waitlisters, pick some people & send them to the dean for final decision. If I remember correctly.
If they don't rank their waitlist...how do they make a decision on who gets the next spot available? Roll of the dice? Read the tea-leaves? Close their eyes and point? Or do they have a piece of paper with names on it *apparently in no specific order* and take whomever is at the top of it? Some might call that a ranked WL without numbers, some might not, which is fine...I don't need a number, just how many people are above me on that paper, ha, ha. Just to give the people some idea of how plausable their chances are.
Or are we saying they look at the entire WL field and randomly pull people? Or am I missing something? Either it's random or it's a list of people in order. Right? Help me out, I am sure I am missing something.

If they don't rank their waitlist...how do they make a decision on who gets the next spot available? Roll of the dice? Read the tea-leaves? Close their eyes and point? Or do they have a piece of paper with names on it *apparently in no specific order* and take whomever is at the top of it? Some might call that a ranked WL without numbers, some might not, which is fine...I don't need a number, just how many people are above me on that paper, ha, ha. Just to give the people some idea of how plausable their chances are.
Or are we saying they look at the entire WL field and randomly pull people? Or am I missing something? Either it's random or it's a list of people in order. Right? Help me out, I am sure I am missing something.
How it was explained to me is they look at every waitlist person's application. They decide who they think will fit the best, ie MCAT, GPA, experiences, LOI, etc & then submit them to the dean to give the final yes or no.

So they reinvent the wheel everytime a new WL spot opens up? How/why would they give you a different evaluation each time a spot opened up? I feel like it is more likely that they look at all that information from each applicant once...make a list...because they just sorted through everyone already, and then make a decision each time a spot opens up. That's a WL. Then they send those people on to the Dean for final decision. No one is going from the bottom of the list to the top based on a new spot opening up. There has to be some type of way of organizing who goes on to the Dean and who doesn't. To me that would literally create a WL. Unless they scramble all the pieces up each time, which seems like a huge waste of time. Does this make sense? Or am I crazy? It could definitely be that later, but I feel like saying there is no WL rank is super lazy and costs applicants a lot of time and money.

So they reinvent the wheel everytime a new WL spot opens up? How/why would they give you a different evaluation each time a spot opened up? I feel like it is more likely that they look at all that information from each applicant once...make a list...because they just sorted through everyone already, and then make a decision each time a spot opens up. That's a WL. Then they send those people on to the Dean for final decision. No one is going from the bottom of the list to the top based on a new spot opening up. There has to be some type of way of organizing who goes on to the Dean and who doesn't. To me that would literally create a WL. Unless they scramble all the pieces up each time, which seems like a huge waste of time. Does this make sense? Or am I crazy? It could definitely be that later, but I feel like saying there is no WL rank is super lazy and costs applicants a lot of time and money.
that's all I know lol I'm just as confused about it as you.

I know, ha, ha, ha. I am trying to bounce ideas off you to make sure I am not crazy. This process is making me feel like I have lost it.

They will try to replace an accepted student that they lost with someone similar from the WL. Similar GPA, MCAT, etc. They have a profile to keep up.

They will try to replace an accepted student that they lost with someone similar from the WL. Similar GPA, MCAT, etc. They have a profile to keep up.
So they would skip over someone with a higher GPA, MCAT, etc. because the person they lost didn't match 1-1ish? That's insanity. Everyone they take was the best of the best based on a certain criteria. As those people leave, you replace them with the next "best" based on your criteria. Whatever criteria you use, you've ranked applicants by that criteria. When one leaves, you take the next best. That's a WL. Taking people who match the person who left, would be matching the best you interviewed with the next best you interviewed. I don't see how what anyone is saying leads to a non-WL. The only other option besides a WL is randomness. Reach into a bag and pull a name? I don't see that as a possibility.
My state MD school ranks their WL and then at the end of every work day, updates the number they're at. It's super helpful. I don't see why any school couldn't do something similar. If you're number 88 and the past 10 years the school averages 25 people off the WL you can get your next cycle application ready and stop looking at zillow for homes in that area, ha, ha.