2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They will try to replace an accepted student that they lost with someone similar from the WL. Similar GPA, MCAT, etc. They have a profile to keep up.
So if someone has below average stats who got waitlisted they pretty much have no chance? I get wanting to make sure they have a diverse profile and everything else, but as far as finding a close match in all of them one person really shouldn’t make a huge difference in percentages at all considering the class size is so large

Members don't see this ad.

We can speculate all day trying to figure out the most realistic and logical mechanics behind KCU’s WL. In the end, we just really don’t know unfortunately.

With June coming up and those who got off the WL recently in May has a upcoming deposit due tomorrow (05/30), then I would place bets that WL should be slowing down. Can any current KCU student tell us from their experience/knowledge if there was any movement in June?

We can speculate all day trying to figure out the most realistic and logical mechanics behind KCU’s WL. In the end, we just really don’t know unfortunately.

With June coming up and those who got off the WL recently in May has a upcoming deposit due tomorrow (05/30), then I would place bets that WL should be slowing down. Can any current KCU student tell us from their experience/knowledge if there was any movement in June?
Not a current student, but on my interview the students said the majority of the WL movement was late in the application cycle, including may and June, not sure how much tho

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in KCU’s master program and was told that they have to arrange the WL somehow so they do it by GPA but have their master’s students first on the list. They still look at you based on MCAT and ECs - total picture.

As for late movement, a Master’s student who was on the WL got accepted the Friday before orientation. The year before that, a student dropped out after two weeks and someone else was called off the WL. Obviously this is NOT ideal but I feel if there are super last minute spots, they probably look at those that are more local on the WL to avoid the stress of moving cross country.

We had a guy accepted off the wait list the first day of orientation.

I was on two waitlists last year and never got off. I can appreciate the frustration for sure. For me, it helped to make a hard cut off date where I would forget about the waitlist and just forge ahead with my reapplication. Of course the waitlist possibilities were still in the back of my mind, but at least working on the new application took my attention.

So they would skip over someone with a higher GPA, MCAT, etc. because the person they lost didn't match 1-1ish? That's insanity. Everyone they take was the best of the best based on a certain criteria. As those people leave, you replace them with the next "best" based on your criteria. Whatever criteria you use, you've ranked applicants by that criteria. When one leaves, you take the next best. That's a WL. Taking people who match the person who left, would be matching the best you interviewed with the next best you interviewed. I don't see how what anyone is saying leads to a non-WL. The only other option besides a WL is randomness. Reach into a bag and pull a name? I don't see that as a possibility.
My state MD school ranks their WL and then at the end of every work day, updates the number they're at. It's super helpful. I don't see why any school couldn't do something similar. If you're number 88 and the past 10 years the school averages 25 people off the WL you can get your next cycle application ready and stop looking at zillow for homes in that area, ha, ha.
I understand your frustration. I was on 4 wait lists last year and never got off. It is probably best to focus on your application, reapply and focus on getting your stuff in early rather than hoping for a late acceptance.

So they would skip over someone with a higher GPA, MCAT, etc. because the person they lost didn't match 1-1ish? That's insanity. Everyone they take was the best of the best based on a certain criteria. As those people leave, you replace them with the next "best" based on your criteria. Whatever criteria you use, you've ranked applicants by that criteria. When one leaves, you take the next best. That's a WL. Taking people who match the person who left, would be matching the best you interviewed with the next best you interviewed. I don't see how what anyone is saying leads to a non-WL. The only other option besides a WL is randomness. Reach into a bag and pull a name? I don't see that as a possibility.
My state MD school ranks their WL and then at the end of every work day, updates the number they're at. It's super helpful. I don't see why any school couldn't do something similar. If you're number 88 and the past 10 years the school averages 25 people off the WL you can get your next cycle application ready and stop looking at zillow for homes in that area, ha, ha.
So if someone has below average stats who got waitlisted they pretty much have no chance? I get wanting to make sure they have a diverse profile and everything else, but as far as finding a close match in all of them one person really shouldn’t make a huge difference in percentages at all considering the class size is so large
As mentioned above, no one knows exactly how it works and it's worthless to try to speculate and figure it out. Also, my comments weren't specifically about KCU, but rather about what I know a few other schools that have unranked WLs do-- KCU could be the same, or they could not be. The point is, no one knows. Arguing about the fairness/not fairness, either way, is just useless and immature. You don't deserve a spot in med school more than someone else whether you have higher or lower stats than them. There is more that makes up a med school application and the adcom knows what they're doing to select the best class that they want to have at their school. I understand your frustration; I was on an MD waitlist that was unranked last year and they wouldn't give me any info about where I stood. It sucks, but that's life.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
As mentioned above, no one knows exactly how it works and it's worthless to try to speculate and figure it out. Also, my comments weren't specifically about KCU, but rather about what I know a few other schools that have unranked WLs do-- KCU could be the same, or they could not be. The point is, no one knows. Arguing about the fairness/not fairness, either way, is just useless and immature. You don't deserve a spot in med school more than someone else whether you have higher or lower stats than them. There is more that makes up a med school application and the adcom knows what they're doing to select the best class that they want to have at their school. I understand your frustration; I was on an MD waitlist that was unranked last year and they wouldn't give me any info about where I stood. It sucks, but that's life.

LOUDER! I was told by my interviewer at an MD school that I was one of the best interviews they have had and was going to recommend my acceptance to the committee. I thought I was a shoo-in. Decision day came around and I got a big fat R in my inbox. I have no idea what went wrong, but that’s life.

Reactions: 6 users
Not to beat this dead horse, more.
I think you missed the target. A few of the people on here, yourself included *I believe* said there was no ranked WL. Which is absolutely true. I only pointed out that there has to be, in one form or another, otherwise it is completely random who they choose for the next available spots, which I doubt. It could be, but I find that hard to believe. No one argued fairness/unfairness. My point is there is a list of names in an order and it would be helpful for people to know if they're close or not to the top of that list, so they can plan their futures accordingly based off of information that exists.
The reason I mentioned other schools and how they have managed this topic, is so that when we become providers and potentially work with admissions teams at our institutions we can find better solutions and remember how our actions affect real people. Saying something sucks, that's life, so deal with it, is a terrible attitude in my opinion, especially if we can do better, know how to, and are capable.
I appreciate all the information I have gained from this site especially from you fldoctorgirl, you've been extremely forthcoming with information and it's awesome, so thank you for that. Now back to our regularly planned WL anxiety.

Not to beat this dead horse, more.
I think you missed the target. A few of the people on here, yourself included *I believe* said there was no ranked WL. Which is absolutely true. I only pointed out that there has to be, in one form or another, otherwise it is completely random who they choose for the next available spots, which I doubt. It could be, but I find that hard to believe. No one argued fairness/unfairness. My point is there is a list of names in an order and it would be helpful for people to know if they're close or not to the top of that list, so they can plan their futures accordingly based off of information that exists.
The reason I mentioned other schools and how they have managed this topic, is so that when we become providers and potentially work with admissions teams at our institutions we can find better solutions and remember how our actions affect real people. Saying something sucks, that's life, so deal with it, is a terrible attitude in my opinion, especially if we can do better, know how to, and are capable.
I appreciate all the information I have gained from this site especially from you fldoctorgirl, you've been extremely forthcoming with information and it's awesome, so thank you for that. Now back to our regularly planned WL anxiety.
I understand where you're coming from and I sympathize with the WL anxiety-- sorry if my post came off harsh. Best of luck with the remainder of your cycle :)

for all joplin students, is the ophthalmoscope necessary? 600 seems like too much to shell out. I hear the steothoscope is definetly a must buy, what else is a must buy off the required list that kcu provides? thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
for all joplin students, is the ophthalmoscope necessary? 600 seems like too much to shell out. I hear the steothoscope is definetly a must buy, what else is a must buy off the required list that kcu provides? thanks.

In the class group thread, a year 2 said we literally only need a stethoscope.

They tell you to buy a several hundred dollar ophthalmoscope, and you wind up needing one for two labs the entire year... And both times they provided extras lol.

I wouldn't buy one, but if you do, get a cheap one from Amazon. If you're anything like me you'll just be pretending to see everything they talk about anyways.

• Haha
So is everyone thinking WL movement will be done around June 21st (~20 days before orientation)? I want to wait as long as possible but don't want to compromise housing or employment for my fiance at the school I'm accepted at

Ebay. Don't buy one new. Used ones only cost a couple hundred. Also, see my signature for a link to an unofficial med list for KCU.

Question for current students, do we have to get the Littmann Cardiology IV 27” Stethoscope or can we get a 3M Littmann Classic III Monitoring Stethoscope instead, like this one Amazon product

Question for current students, do we have to get the Littmann Cardiology IV 27” Stethoscope or can we get a 3M Littmann Classic III Monitoring Stethoscope instead, like this one Amazon product

You can literally use any stethoscope that has a diaphragm and bell.

Does anyone have a link to that "unofficial med kit" on amazon?

when do we have to pay tuition for the first semester here? and do we have to get the med kit right away?

when do we have to pay tuition for the first semester here? and do we have to get the med kit right away?
Get a stethoscope right away for starting class. The rest of it can wait a little bit.

Reactions: 1 users
How soon would you say? Like first week? Immediately?
I'm not 100% sure how your schedule will look in the first week, but sooner rather than later is good. But you can take time to shop around and find one that you really want.

Pretty sure we used a stethoscope within the first week or two of class. If I could go back in time I probably wouldn't buy anything besides a stethoscope. The blood pressure cuff is an absolute waste, the ophthalmoscope is used like two times and they had extras available both times, same goes for the eye chart, tuning forks, etc. Maybe buy like a $20 otoscope if you want, but even that isn't needed.

For incoming first years, if it hasn’t changed, you will need a full med kit for your first PCM lab competency. They want to check that you have everything. Borrow from classmates if you need to. Stethoscope is a must. Get one you’re comfortable with that has a diaphragm and bell range.

As for otoscope/ophthalmoscope, you will rarely use it in your first year. However, you will use it for Score 1 during 2nd year at least 6 times. Again, it’s possible to borrow from a classmate not doing physicals. You’ll need it for the eye exam competency for 2nd year PCM. There is one in the exam room for SPs so you won’t need it for that but you’ll want to practice how to use it in the room too.

If you get a Heine or Welch Allyn, the school and Score 1 will have the disposable ear pieces to use. If you don’t have either brand, you’ll need to provide your own.

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew my acceptance a few days ago. Hope one of you gets it! Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
For incoming first years, if it hasn’t changed, you will need a full med kit for your first PCM lab competency. They want to check that you have everything. Borrow from classmates if you need to. Stethoscope is a must. Get one you’re comfortable with that has a diaphragm and bell range.

As for otoscope/ophthalmoscope, you will rarely use it in your first year. However, you will use it for Score 1 during 2nd year at least 6 times. Again, it’s possible to borrow from a classmate not doing physicals. You’ll need it for the eye exam competency for 2nd year PCM. There is one in the exam room for SPs so you won’t need it for that but you’ll want to practice how to use it in the room too.

If you get a Heine or Welch Allyn, the school and Score 1 will have the disposable ear pieces to use. If you don’t have either brand, you’ll need to provide your own.
I can say this isnt true now.

So is everyone thinking WL movement will be done around June 21st (~20 days before orientation)? I want to wait as long as possible but don't want to compromise housing or employment for my fiance at the school I'm accepted at
Nope. We had someone accepted two days before orientation. She stayed in a hotel the first week

what isnt true?
That they check off if you have a full med kit etc. If it's really a big deal that you have your own for labs(as I've said before. I bought a 100 dollar oto/opeth and my steth and was perfectly fine)make friends with someone in a different lab group, share or go halfsies

Is there a deadline for purchasing a med kit? I'm thinking of waiting until my financial disbursement to buy one. All my savings are going to moving costs lol

was just accepted to the joplin campus off the waitlist. currently traveling abroad until the end of month and want to get on top of things as fast as possible as orientation is a month away. where should I look as far as housing? I don't have recent immunization records as well and will have to get those done once I get back. Will the school be lenient with a timeline considering the timeframe I am given? any advice is much appreciated

was just accepted to the joplin campus off the waitlist. currently traveling abroad until the end of month and want to get on top of things as fast as possible as orientation is a month away. where should I look as far as housing? I don't have recent immunization records as well and will have to get those done once I get back. Will the school be lenient with a timeline considering the timeframe I am given? any advice is much appreciated
Housing you might have to start cold calling to get on lists. With waitlist movement I am sure there are spots opening. Not sure what you are looking for in housing. If you want roommates, people have been posting in the class page so you can connect there once added. For immunizations, I would contact them about your situation and see what timeline they would like. I am sure they have plans for this, since people get off the waitlist in the summer often.

Congrats on your acceptance and feel free to message if you have questions as well.

Housing you might have to start cold calling to get on lists. With waitlist movement I am sure there are spots opening. Not sure what you are looking for in housing. If you want roommates, people have been posting in the class page so you can connect there once added. For immunizations, I would contact them about your situation and see what timeline they would like. I am sure they have plans for this, since people get off the waitlist in the summer often.

Congrats on your acceptance and feel free to message if you have questions as well.
thank you. when I interviewed, I interviewed at the KC campus so I have never even seen the Joplin campus. I will be coming from the west coast. Is having a car a necessity?

thank you. when I interviewed, I interviewed at the KC campus so I have never even seen the Joplin campus. I will be coming from the west coast. Is having a car a necessity?
I would say. Public transit is not much of a thing. But this is common to see in small towns. There is Uber and Lyft though.

I would say. Public transit is not much of a thing. But this is common to see in small towns. There is Uber and Lyft though.
We have several who didnt have a car first year. I definitely wouldn't want to be in that position though

If you are looking for a roommate. I have a spot at the cenrto with Century Towers. Pm me

I just got pulled off the waitlist this afternoon for KC! Wondering what rent averages for housing near campus?

Reactions: 4 users
just also got pulled off the waitlist for Joplin! Can you guys let me know what are the best places to stay at in the area?

It's been a long journey and I wish you guys on the WL some good news soon.

Reactions: 7 users
I just got pulled off the waitlist this afternoon for KC! Wondering what rent averages for housing near campus?
Depends on size and location. We pay < $1,000/month for a 2 bedroom that's just under 1,000 sq feet. People living downtown pay nearly double for the same.