2018-2019 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Kansas City)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm sure the generic answer to this would be dependent upon the individual. But for those that have a laptop, will it rarely get used if everything we need (seemingly) is on the iPad?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm sure the generic answer to this would be dependent upon the individual. But for those that have a laptop, will it rarely get used if everything we need (seemingly) is on the iPad?
I used mine constantly. I set it up so I had some things on OneNote and I could edit from laptop or iPad. Also for streaming lectures or videos, I used my laptop so I could take notes on iPad.

Reactions: 1 user
I hate watching lectures on the ipad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have to echo what bellawriter said. I was almost constantly using both screens (computer and ipad) as I studied.

Reactions: 1 users
I used mine constantly. I set it up so I had some things on OneNote and I could edit from laptop or iPad. Also for streaming lectures or videos, I used my laptop so I could take notes on iPad.

Do most people use One note to take notes? Are there any other apps that people use?

Do most people use One note to take notes? Are there any other apps that people use?
I used Notability, but I did some stuff on OneNote as well. But in terms of in class, I used Notability to take notes on slides, then made charts and such in OneNote

What’s the benefit of the Apple Pencil over the generic stylus(es)(i?)? Besides conspicuous consumption.

Also, I know this has been beaten to death, but will I be able to get by with a cheapie otoscope and ophthalmoscope? I found both for $60 and really don’t have $1k to drop on the Welch Allyn right now.

I got my Littmann cardio IV last night (gift from my wife). Damn it is nice! Big improvement over whatever clunkers were in the back of the ambulance. I was even able to auscultate my dad’s leaky aortic valve.

Regarding the iPad: is it permissible/frowned upon/will I get a stern talking too, if I trade it in for another model? Ive been using the 11 inch for work the past 6 months and now the 9.7s feel mini, id prefer to keep using an 11 or even the 12.9 inch screen.

What’s the benefit of the Apple Pencil over the generic stylus(es)(i?)? Besides conspicuous consumption.

Also, I know this has been beaten to death, but will I be able to get by with a cheapie otoscope and ophthalmoscope? I found both for $60 and really don’t have $1k to drop on the Welch Allyn right now.

I got my Littmann cardio IV last night (gift from my wife). Damn it is nice! Big improvement over whatever clunkers were in the back of the ambulance. I was even able to auscultate my dad’s leaky aortic valve.
I looked at other styluses (styli? no idea) before I bought my Apple Pencil. I'm not an Apple devotee by any stretch, so I wasn't keen to drop a hundred bucks on one. But in the end, I just wanted something that would work well without much fuss, and that's what it offered me. Other students who used non-Apple ones didn't seem to have much of a problem, though.

Don't drop a grand on the oto/ophthalmoscope. As a first year, you really don't NEED to have one anyway. I just borrowed one from a classmate for assessments and whatnot. Second year you'll need a set, but it doesn't need to be high-end.

Make sure you get a reflex hammer before school starts. That's a cheap tool that you WILL actually use.

I like the whole pressure sensitive part of it. Plus being able to scroll and write. I have a cheapie scope
Its worked fine the one time I needed it.

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding the iPad: is it permissible/frowned upon/will I get a stern talking too, if I trade it in for another model? Ive been using the 11 inch for work the past 6 months and now the 9.7s feel mini, id prefer to keep using an 11 or even the 12.9 inch screen.
Technically it doesnt belong to you till you graduate. Classmates use the pro and other ones but they are "not officially supported"

Hey, I’ve heard about a google drive with PDFs of the textbooks. Is there anyway I could get that shared with me?

just also got pulled off the waitlist for Joplin! Can you guys let me know what are the best places to stay at in the area?

I would get on the facebook pages ASAP, people are looking and talking about roommates pretty often.

For those of you who’ve been living in Joplin, how much does it snow? Like how bad to winters get

For those of you who’ve been living in Joplin, how much does it snow? Like how bad to winters get
You'll get way more ice than snow. Make sure your car has deicer spray and an ice scraper for winter. I keep all weather tires on the car.

It snowed..3? Times last year

Aw, I was kind of hoping for a little more hahah but I guess that’s better than worrying about crazy winter storms. Thank you!

You'll get way more ice than snow. Make sure your car has deicer spray and an ice scraper for winter. I keep all weather tires on the car.
What’s diecer spray? So putting chains on my tires and all that isn’t a thing in Joplin?

Sorry, coming from Florida. I’ve only seen snow a handful of times

Aw, I was kind of hoping for a little more hahah but I guess that’s better than worrying about crazy winter storms. Thank you!

What’s diecer spray? So putting chains on my tires and all that isn’t a thing in Joplin?

Sorry, coming from Florida. I’ve only seen snow a handful of times
Deicer spray might be called something else technically but it helps melt ice on your car so you can scrape it off. It usually comes out at Walmart as winter approaches. Usually comes in a can or spray bottle.

I think some get chains for their tires but I never have. If it snowed more then yes I would but you will see more ice on the road. Driving on ice is like driving to church in Sunday best with grandma in the back seat with her famous chili in the pot on her lap wearing her best dress.

Deicer spray might be called something else technically but it helps melt ice on your car so you can scrape it off. It usually comes out at Walmart as winter approaches. Usually comes in a can or spray bottle.

I think some get chains for their tires but I never have. If it snowed more then yes I would but you will see more ice on the road. Driving on ice is like driving to church in Sunday best with grandma in the back seat with her famous chili in the pot on her lap wearing her best dress.
Ohhh ok cool! Thanks for the input. Guess I gotta get an ice scraper haha

Get one with a brush on it. It helps. If you can't find one before moving, deicer and scraper come out in Walmart and Target before winter.

As someone who currently lives in an area with worse winters than Joplin, I recommend not getting the cheapest ice scraper you can find. They have a tendency to squeak like nails on a chalkboard as you're scraping. A good quality plastic will prevent that. I never use deicing spray. Rather just open the door, start the car and turn on the defroster. That will melt the layer of ice immediately in contact with your windshields, making scraping it off WAY easier.

Also, if ice is forecasted, do yourself a favor and pull your wipers up and away from the windshield so they dont get frozen in place, lol.

As someone who currently lives in an area with worse winters than Joplin, I recommend not getting the cheapest ice scraper you can find. They have a tendency to squeak like nails on a chalkboard as you're scraping. A good quality plastic will prevent that. I never use deicing spray. Rather just open the door, start the car and turn on the defroster. That will melt the layer of ice immediately in contact with your windshields, making scraping it off WAY easier.

Also, if ice is forecasted, do yourself a favor and pull your wipers up and away from the windshield so they dont get frozen in place, lol.
Oh man, I would have never even though to do that lol and thanks for the heads up too, I totally would have gone for the cheapest one and then regretted it. Thanks guys!

I never use deicing spray. Rather just open the door, start the car and turn on the defroster. That will melt the layer of ice immediately in contact with your windshields, making scraping it off WAY easier.
Just be careful doing that with any cracks in the windshield. It can make them worse

Joplin is extremely hit or miss on snow/ice. Some years we get nothing, other years we get huge ice storms that cripples everything for a few days.

Oh you right, you right. I forgot I’ll have a garage when I move over there. Sweet! should I still own an ice scraper just in case?
Yes. Always have an ice scraper. Get one now, before you forget.

Oh you right, you right. I forgot I’ll have a garage when I move over there. Sweet! should I still own an ice scraper just in case?
Yes, Because you might be at school when ice hits and will need to clear the ice so you can drive. As mentioned above, I use deicer and windshield defroster as well (and I also have a garage). I have had to clear ice after classes many times.

Just an FYI for those on WL: My good friend on the WL at KCU, not an SDNer, called admissions today for an update on potential movement and in certain words was told they don't expect much WL movement from here on out. A small number will "trickle in" up until orientation week but they expect to be pretty much set.

Absolutely. But I havent had to clear it in the mornings when it's the worst

Just got the acceptance call!!! So who can help a kid out with living arrangements?

Reactions: 4 users
Yes. Always have an ice scraper. Get one now, before you forget.
Yes, Because you might be at school when ice hits and will need to clear the ice so you can drive. As mentioned above, I use deicer and windshield defroster as well (and I also have a garage). I have had to clear ice after classes many times.
Absolutely. But I havent had to clear it in the mornings when it's the worst

Thank you all! Greatly appreciate it :) I'll make sure to find an ice scraper!

So technically the iPad is not yours to trade in until after two years BUT I know you can talk with the tech people and ask permission to trade the iPad in for the larger and more expensive Pro. But I know students who sold their school iPad and bought the Pro. But my class didn’t get an Apple Pencil compatible iPad. Your class will. Also, the school pays for AppleCare for two years but I don’t know what happens if you trade it in.

I had to replace my iPad. No applecare continuity

not sure if this is the proper place but anyone here do their masters program and get in after? i just got accepted to the 2 year and am debating on coming here instead because it seems like a great program and a lot of graduates get into med schools after. i'm comparing this to midwestern's 2 year masters in biomedical sciences

not sure if this is the proper place but anyone here do their masters program and get in after? i just got accepted to the 2 year and am debating on coming here instead because it seems like a great program and a lot of graduates get into med schools after. i'm comparing this to midwestern's 2 year masters in biomedical sciences
I just finished my masters program at KCU and I’m in the incoming class. Ultimately it comes down to personal preference as to what program you choose, but for me personally, I came from a university with a poor science program. After 1 year of being in Kansas City, I’m light years ahead of the student I was just a year ago. I don’t know anything about Midwesterns program, but I will tell you being here was the single greatest decision I’ve ever made.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely go to kcu. 2 years is a lot of tuition

We have lots of COB people in my class ('22)

Thanks guys!It seems like a great program. Midwestern is close to home so I’d save money but kcu seems to have a good reputation and stats so it’s hard to give up this. Idk hard deduction but I’m glad it’s worked out for you jlj

Accepted this morning to Joplin off the waitlist!

Reactions: 5 users