2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Bradenton, Florida)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have I just received an II and its scheduled for 4/5 as well. Does anyone know the chances of getting in with an April Interview? I am a FL resident and don't live too far so travel is not a concern.
I mean if you live close, really not much to lose by going. It just seems like they would probably at or near a full class by now.

Members don't see this ad.

I sent an update on my experiences but haven't received a reply whether they received it or not should I call them?

Members don't see this ad :)
do you mind sharing your stats/LM and complete date??

GPA 3.55
MCAT: 502 (CARS was really low)
Complete date: early September
Lots of extracurriculars in college (athletics and student government)
Extensive work experience as a scribe

Hey all,
LECOM B is my only acceptance as of now. I am SUPER grateful for this opportunity to pursue my dreams! I liked the school and PBL when I went and the dress code doesn't bother me much. But theres so much negative talk of LECOM B all over the internet.

Can people that have attended say some things they like about this school? Im sure there are more posiitves than negatives.

Reactions: 1 user
Got the acceptance call today 3/1/2019, interviewed on 2/22/2019. Message me if you are looking for roommates in the area. I am more than likely enrolling since this school has stellar tuition compared to others.

Got the acceptance call today 3/1/2019, interviewed on 2/22/2019. Message me if you are looking for roommates in the area. I am more than likely enrolling since this school has stellar tuition compared to others.
Congrats!! Can you pm your stats?

Hey all,
LECOM B is my only acceptance as of now. I am SUPER grateful for this opportunity to pursue my dreams! I liked the school and PBL when I went and the dress code doesn't bother me much. But theres so much negative talk of LECOM B all over the internet.

Can people that have attended say some things they like about this school? Im sure there are more posiitves than negatives.
It's cheap

Congratulations! It looks like you will be able to explore and enjoy the area after all!

besides being cheap, why would you pick LECOM over another school?

besides being cheap, why would you pick LECOM over another school?

Congrats on the acceptance. If LECOM-B is your only acceptance, it's not like you have the chance to compare/pick over another school. But from my interview/online research, this is what I gathered re: LECOM-B.

Reasons to choose LECOM-B
-Cheap
-Students perform well on COMLEX 1
-PBL is your JAM
-Minimal classroom time compared to other schools
-You love textbook reading
-Sunny Siesta Key is 30 minutes from campus (could be a con if the red tide comes back)

Reasons to NOT choose LECOM-B
-The administration does the bare minimum (get what you pay for)
-Not spectacular rotation sites (mostly an SDN opinion I have come across on these threads)
-PBL is not your JAM
-You HATE reading textbooks
-You don't enjoy dress codes (not a big deal for me... but for others maybe)
-No beverages on the second floor (close to a deal breaker for me... need that coffee bro)

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the last date for interviews is? And if so do you know what date they are currently scheduling?

Anyone know when the last date for interviews is? And if so do you know what date they are currently scheduling?
Just schedule mine for 4/5/19 and from what I saw they had dates for each Friday in April.

Just schedule mine for 4/5/19 and from what I saw they had dates for each Friday in April.
Did your portal say "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." before you received an Interview? Mine still says that and I feel like my application wasn't looked at. I'm a FL resident (3.9/497 very low cars), are my chances shot down here? Should i send them an email?

Did your portal say "Your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." before you received an Interview? Mine still says that and I feel like my application wasn't looked at. I'm a FL resident (3.9/497 very low cars), are my chances shot down here? Should i send them an email?
Did you send in an ACT/SAT score? They could use that instead of the MCAT

Did you send in an ACT/SAT score? They could use that instead of the MCAT
I asked them and they said once you send your MCAT they dont need my ACT/SAT, so I guess it was my mistake but my MCAT score was submitted with the AACOMAS app so it automatically sent. I wish I could send it. Do you still think its worth an email?

I asked them and they said once you send your MCAT they dont need my ACT/SAT, so I guess it was my mistake but my MCAT score was submitted with the AACOMAS app so it automatically sent. I wish I could send it. Do you still think its worth an email?
The secondary app asked for it but it was optional, what is your SAT/ACT btw, you should email and ask (The worst they can say is no)

The secondary app asked for it but it was optional, what is your SAT/ACT btw, you should email and ask (The worst they can say is no)
Its not amazing, but its a 26 (somewhere in the 80th percentile which is better than my MCAT lol). Do you think its worth it to send them an email with that?

Its not amazing, but its a 26 (somewhere in the 80th percentile which is better than my MCAT lol). Do you think its worth it to send them an email with that?
Calculate your AIS on their requirements page, their average was 120 last year

Calculate your AIS on their requirements page, their average was 120 last year
My AIS is a 122, with my 3.91 cgpa and 3.90 sgpa (at a top 30 national university if that helps). So would I just send an email to admissions stating my interest in the school as well as asking if I should send my ACT score?

Does anyone knows if there's a Facebook page for the class?

My AIS is a 122, with my 3.91 cgpa and 3.90 sgpa (at a top 30 national university if that helps). So would I just send an email to admissions stating my interest in the school as well as asking if I should send my ACT score?
Up to you

Been left on read after my secondary lol

What’s the email for the admissions? I’ve found two different emails and I’m unsure which to send to.

What airport did individuals fly into for their interview?

I have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people. Yes, their policies are a little annoying but I think there is a method to the madness. Professional dress will be required in residency and we won't be able to be eating and drinking while seeing patients.

Additionally, the relationship between cost and COMLEX scores is one of the most attractive things about LECOM. LECOM has had the highest COMLEX scores for the past 10 years while being one of the cheapest private medical schools in the country.

LECOM is a superb education at a low cost. But you do get what you pay for in terms of student resources. I don't mind doing that for 2 years and then escaping with much less debt than other schools. Additionally, LECOM places a high majority of its class in specialty residencies and is one of the few (I think maybe even the only) DO school to match ENT.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have done a lot of research and talked to a lot of people. Yes, their policies are a little annoying but I think there is a method to the madness. Professional dress will be required in residency and we won't be able to be eating and drinking while seeing patients.

Additionally, the relationship between cost and COMLEX scores is one of the most attractive things about LECOM. LECOM has had the highest COMLEX scores for the past 10 years while being one of the cheapest private medical schools in the country.

LECOM is a superb education at a low cost. But you do get what you pay for in terms of student resources. I don't mind doing that for 2 years and then escaping with much less debt than other schools. Additionally, LECOM places a high majority of its class in specialty residencies and is one of the few (I think maybe even the only) DO school to match ENT.

Both of those statements are incorrect. LECOM does not have the highest COMLEX scores in the country (assuming you're referring to COMLEX 1?) and other DO schools have matched students into ENT.

Nevertheless... if LECOM is your only acceptance, congrats! Take it a run with it.

Hey All,

Anyone have any insights or thoughts on this latest share about this school? Keep hearing so much negativity...

To those still considering the schools, and to others who would like to use this as context for future application cycles, here are my typed out thoughts regarding the interview day (for me 02/22/2019):

I liked the program more than I thought I would. They kept us from 7:45am-2:15pm with a lunch provided in the middle. Here are my main take aways from the experience:

-LECOM-B values student professionalism above all (professional attire while in PBL sessions and no food/drink outside of cafeteria policy)
-Only need to be on campus for PBL sessions 2-3 times a week. With the anatomy course during 1st year and OPP (osteopathic principles and practice) throughout years 1&2, it seems like total required time physically on campus is lower than most other DO schools.
-Consequently, students are expected to study on their own and show up for PBL sessions prepared. 8 hours of study (average for med students per day roughly) is expected to take place individually or with groups outside of class.
-Facility is nice and secure. Guards are very strict about their policies and who can come in.
-At the end of the day the director of student affairs gave a novel and candid presentation outlining the fact that LECOM-B understands what students are ultimately there for (better board scores and quality residency placements). He went on to note that last year 61% of graduates went into primary care, which is lower than other osteopathic schools. The idea here is that more students are successfully matching into non-primary care (i.e. the higher paying on average) specialties.
-Importantly, the default locations regarding third year rotations (as of my interview) are mainly in the Northeast. While slots remain open in the state of Florida, these are bureaucratically more complicated to secure/ensure because of Florida "laws". Also the sites in the Northeast have had longer time to coordinate this stuff with the mother institution in Erie.
-There is a rank system they use to determine rotations. This factors in personal things like family/spouse in the area as well as academic performance (i.e. grades). You stay in one "region" for year 3, but may move to various sites within that region.
-Second year student gave us the input that there are more elective opportunities as this schools holds more slots for audition rotations compared to other schools.
-SGA funded through fees students pay. Nearly all of it (fees from each student make a $40,000 pool) goes to the second years for activities.
-Committee meets on Tuesdays to discuss applicants and the turn around is 2-3 weeks post interview to receive a possible phone call. This may or not be a decision. The student affairs guy said they may call to "get more information".

I have seen few positive posts about this school here on SDN. People seem to consider it "bare bones" when it comes to what students get. While it is true that this school won't be conducive to those that require discipline and structure, I think it shines for those that really have their stuff together already. I was ultimately enticed by indebtedness of this schools graduates compared to the private osteopathic average. That figure comes to around $67K - no small amount of money. Less debt, and fewer BS required curriculum? Sounds like a good idea to me.

This isn't all that I took away, so please feel free to message me with for more info. I understand some of this may have been posted previously in this thread, but I figured I would make a quick reference for anyone that doesn't want to sift through the records.

Hi! I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t let me, would you be able to message me please!

Does anyone have a 3/29 interview that would be willing to move their date up to 3/22? I'm looking to switch mine because I have a wedding the next day. However, I emailed admissions and they don't have anything till later April. PM me if interested

Hi! I tried to PM you but it wouldn’t let me, would you be able to message me please!
Try changing some of your settings. I think you need to allow messaging or something because I can't start a convo.

So... at what point do we start losing hope of an interview invite? Mid April?

Anyone willing to switch interview dates with me? I'm trying to move my interview back as it's on March 22nd.

Last edited:
Hey everyone! I interviewed here on Feb 22. I sent a letter of intent via email to ronald shively, but I'm not sure if he received it? For those of your who sent in a letter of intent did you get a response? I'm getting nervous because I haven't heard back yet.

Hey everyone! I interviewed here on Feb 22. I sent a letter of intent via email to ronald shively, but I'm not sure if he received it? For those of your who sent in a letter of intent did you get a response? I'm getting nervous because I haven't heard back yet.
I have sent 2 updates and a letter of intent, I haven't heard back