2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision..." on my portal! I'm excited, but terrified at the same time!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"The Admissions Committee has made a decision..." on my portal! I'm excited, but terrified at the same time!

Same. Says I will get a letter in the mail within 14 days. Luckily it looks like decisions should arrive to us earlier this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Same. Says I will get a letter in the mail within 14 days. Luckily it looks like decisions should arrive to us earlier this year.

When did you guys interview? Is receiving the decision notification so early compared to everyone else who applied ED a good or bad sign? Also, is there any way to check on the portal to indirectly figure out the decision?

Members don't see this ad :)
When did you guys interview? Is receiving the decision notification so early compared to everyone else who applied ED a good or bad sign? Also, is there any way to check on the portal to indirectly figure out the decision?

I interviewed July 20th. I have no idea if having this early portal update is a good or bad thing. I’ve searched all over my portal and can’t find anything that would clue me in that I’m accepted or rejected. Hopefully the mail gets here by the weekend and I’ll know soon enough.

I interviewed 8/3. Were you ED as well? Also, I don't think there's a way to check the portal to see if you were accepted.

https://lecom.edu/content/uploads/2018/06/active-affiliates-6-5-18.pdf
Just a reminder (as someone in a common boat as a few [submitted super early this year without word, yet had an interview without an MCAT with waitlist near the end of a previous cycle]
To check the list of affiliates above. There appears to be over 100 colleges/school that affiliate with the D.O. program alone. (more including the pharmacy/dental). Each has a different contract. Sometimes an MCAT is not needed for acceptance (which means - what are the real stats?) depending on the program. A lot of the websites are vague, but even small schools seem to get more than 1 seat. I've seen some that put a giant ? on how many they have, others have at least 5. 2017 : Lecom's Entering Had 536 seats for the D.O. program : 250 Erie, 182 in Florida (PBL), 104 (Seton Hill).

Keep in mind the Lecom Master's program + Post Bac typically interview as well, with more or less a seat with a certain GPA.

There appears to be a lot of seats more or less spoken for already before one even applies. Competitive times indeed.

https://lecom.edu/content/uploads/2018/06/active-affiliates-6-5-18.pdf
Just a reminder (as someone in a common boat as a few [submitted super early this year without word, yet had an interview without an MCAT with waitlist near the end of a previous cycle]
To check the list of affiliates above. There appears to be over 100 colleges/school that affiliate with the D.O. program alone. (more including the pharmacy/dental). Each has a different contract. Sometimes an MCAT is not needed for acceptance (which means - what are the real stats?) depending on the program. A lot of the websites are vague, but even small schools seem to get more than 1 seat. I've seen some that put a giant ? on how many they have, others have at least 5. 2017 : Lecom's Entering Had 536 seats for the D.O. program : 250 Erie, 182 in Florida (PBL), 104 (Seton Hill).

Keep in mind the Lecom Master's program + Post Bac typically interview as well, with more or less a seat with a certain GPA.

There appears to be a lot of seats more or less spoken for already before one even applies. Competitive times indeed.

Hi, I'm curious about your post. Which year did you apply without an MCAT and what time of the year was it? Was that near the end of last cycle?

Hi, I'm curious about your post. Which year did you apply without an MCAT and what time of the year was it? Was that near the end of last cycle?

Wasn't last cycle. However, it was late of the cycle it was.
Also Lecom academic index
Old thread. I started a mess, but got probably the best post ever on AIS (and a lot of melee).
The Academic Index Score (AIS) is a common tool utilized for college admissions in Colorado, Iowa and California. It has also been used for years at the University of Colorado Denver Medical School as admission criteria for their BS/MD program. Students are admitted directly from high school and obviously haven’t had the courses to take the MCAT.

The MCAT was introduced in 1928 as a response to high attrition rates to insure that those who were admitted to medical school would be successful in completing it. It recently underwent major revision, partly based on asking if it was valid in predicting who would make good physicians. It takes more to be a good physician than an MCAT score.

Precedence exists for consideration of alternatives to medical school programs. This can be seen in schools which admit students directly into six year, 3+4 year, and other programs which do not require MCAT scores. These programs utilize high school grade point averages (hsGPA) or class rank, Scholastic Aptitude Test (SAT) and American College Testing (ACT) scores, in other words, the same criteria as the AIS.

When LECOM designed its Physician Assistant to Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine bridge, a three year program for PAs to earn DO degrees, the PA applicants had an average of about 5 years of clinical experience but as PA curriculum typically does not require physics and often organic chemistry they wanted to look at other criteria. LECOM used the AIS standards in a pilot study with the PAs as an alternative to the MCAT. LECOM followed the outcomes of the PAs who did exceptionally well, so much so that they opened the option of using the AIS as an alternative to the MCAT to everyone.

LECOM now has both options of using the MCAT or the AIS. The accrediting body for osteopathic schools does not dictate what admission criteria is used, it looks at the outcomes like attrition rates. LECOM’s is less than 2%.

Someone posted earlier that not taking the MCAT could put you at a disadvantage in applying to other medical school…absolutely. If you don’t take the MCAT there are only a handful of medical schools you can apply to.

Also, the AIS and MCAT minimums are to qualify for an interview. They don't guarantee admission.

II this afternoon! I was complete 9/5

Will LECOM accept based off of an AIS if that is better than the MCAT score?
I think only their admissions know that, which of course is secret.

I don't think anyone would be able to know what "better" means between the two, or for their purposes.

In terms of AIS info, that is the extent to which I know (which I only learned from another SDN poster).

I’ve been under review since July 18th and I haven’t heard anything from LECOM since. Is that a bad sign?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh boy, got the "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail, typically, within 14 days." This wait is about to kill me

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh boy, got the "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail, typically, within 14 days." This wait is about to kill me
When did you interview? I interviewed 8/31 and signed up for ED, still haven't gotten a portal update

To those of you who have been getting text updates, did you get an update when your application was under review? Was that different from your supplemental application is processed and if you did get a text "application under review" how long was it in that status before you get a II? Or was the "application under review" a generic long wait for weeks at a time.

For the people without having heard yet, what are your stats?

Yeah man. Have been under review since June 20. 14 weeks!! Stats are 3.65 cGPA and 3.53 sGPA. AIS is a 116. Both my cumulative and science GPAs are above their averages so I don't know why its taking a really long time.

To those of you who have been getting text updates, did you get an update when your application was under review? Was that different from your supplemental application is processed and if you did get a text "application under review" how long was it in that status before you get a II? Or was the "application under review" a generic long wait for weeks at a time.
My application has been under review since June 20. I got that same text on like July 11 but it didn't make a difference because my application remained under review and still is under review.

3.72 cGPA, 3.64 sGPA, AIS 114. Just recently got my MCAT back and safe to say at 495 just scratches their bare minimum I believe.

LECOM keeps sending me these pointless emails that have nothing to do with an interview invite. I don't want to receive any emails that have nothing to do with an interview invite. No one knows how hard it is for me and for other outstanding students to wait for that interview invite. It's so stressful and frustrating for us to wait so long especially when we have strong academic records.

Got my acceptance letter today!! AIS 119, GPA: 3.74s and 3.74c and OOS. I was complete 7/18, Received interview 8/7, Interviewed on 8/30 and opted for Earlier Decision. I didn't have a DO letter.

Reactions: 3 users
Got my acceptance letter today!! AIS 119, GPA: 3.74s and 3.74c and OOS. I was complete 7/18, Received interview 8/7, Interviewed on 8/30 and opted for Earlier Decision. I didn't have a DO letter.
Congrats! Did you have an MCAT, or did you apply purely AIS?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

@futuremed13 When did your portal change and what did it change to? Also, what state are you in?

Congrats! Did you have an MCAT, or did you apply purely AIS?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk
Thank you! My MCAT score just came in a few days ago so they would have already made a decision before they received it!

Hey, what is the earlier option and what state are you from (trying to judge how long it takes to travel)? Also, when did your portal change to "a decision has been made"?

@Lifeguard22
The earlier decision option meant that they would review your file and have a decision by September 30th, and if you wish to go there the deposit is due by October 30th. The regular decision option won’t reciew your file until the middle of November and a decision would be made by November 30th. I am from Pennsylvania, and my letter was dated September 25th so assume around then the portal updated

The earlier decision option meant that they would review your file and have a decision by September 30th, and if you wish to go there the deposit is due by October 30th. The regular decision option won’t reciew your file until the middle of November and a decision would be made by November 30th. I am from Pennsylvania, and my letter was dated September 25th so assume around then the portal updated

Once the letter is received did your portal chance to anything related to an acceptance?

Got my acceptance letter today! I’m in state, 123 AIS score, low MCAT though. 3.74 cGPA, 3.69sGPA

Just received my acceptance letter today!!
What state do you live in??!? I've been waiting for a few days for the mail! I'm in Michigan so it shouldn't be too much longer.

Accepted!! Beyond excited!!

I received the letter on Friday and opened it yesterday. Accepted at Seton Hill! Interviewed on 9/11. It is weird, I was never notified of a portal update. I am so grateful for the chance to attend medical school close to home which is why I opted for early decision. That and my only other interview so far was an MD school that won't notify me until January 31st. Congrats to the others that were accepted!

Does anyone know if it is to late to put an application into LECOM - Erie - seems like they interview early

I think there is still time. I remember a DO ADCOM stating that some people apply as late as Thanksgiving and that the DO cycle is longer (so that they interview earlier and later than MD schools).

I received the letter on Friday and opened it yesterday. Accepted at Seton Hill! Interviewed on 9/11. It is weird, I was never notified of a portal update. I am so grateful for the chance to attend medical school close to home which is why I opted for early decision. That and my only other interview so far was an MD school that won't notify me until January 31st. Congrats to the others that were accepted!

I think there is still time. I remember a DO ADCOM stating that some people apply as late as Thanksgiving and that the DO cycle is longer (so that they interview earlier and later than MD schools).
Thank you for the information - I put in the application - seems like I have similar stats to you - but with only 1 MD interview so far -I don't want to take a chance of not getting into medical school.

First interview & First acceptance of this cycle! So thankful for the opportunity to become a doctor!

LOL I'm over here still waiting for an interview

Reactions: 8 users
Lol I feel. Ive been under review since 8/3. Does this school do priority interviewing/ reviewing?

From what I understand the first wave of acceptances/interviews are selected based off of an early decision choice. It sounds like these are going out right around now. So hopefully they start selecting more interviews in the next couple of weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk