2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Seton Hill is ONLY a PBL pathway. If you want to do any other option rank the Erie location higher.

They make you select a pathway, not a campus but Erie has both. You do have to chose if you want lecture or PBL ahead of time. You might have known this but just wanted to clarify for the upcoming interview peeps

Members don't see this ad.

interviewed 11/16 at Seton Hill...still waiting......darn
anyone else?
i was hoping to hear back before the holidays but guess not :dead::dead:

interviewed 11/16 at Seton Hill...still waiting......darn
anyone else?
i was hoping to hear back before the holidays but guess not :dead::dead:
I figured the holidays would back us up into the middle of January, no worries, patience.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 11/30 at Erie and status recently changed to “a decision has been made”. How long after that did it take for the portal to update to the decision? Won’t be at my address for a month and need to know!

Interviewed 11/30 at Erie and status recently changed to “a decision has been made”. How long after that did it take for the portal to update to the decision? Won’t be at my address for a month and need to know!
The portal won't tell you what the decision is. You get a letter via snail mail that tells you and after you reply to the letter, then the portal changes.

Does LECOM accept pre-II updates about fall grades?
AACOMAS lets you update your fall grades on your primary application so all of your schools will get them! It is a lot easier than AMCAS where you have to send them to individual schools.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey all, just wanted to share I received an acceptance yesterday! Interviewed 12/11 at Seton Hill. Not sure why I heard back so fast, but good luck to those still waiting!!

Stats for those who want to know:
508, GPA 3.7 sGPA 3.5, 1000+ hrs of paid clinical experiences, 2 publications, MD letter writer, DO letter writer, 250+ hrs of community service

Reactions: 4 users
Hey all, just wanted to share I received an acceptance yesterday! Interviewed 12/11 at Seton Hill. Not sure why I heard back so fast, but good luck to those still waiting!!

508, GPA 3.7 sGPA 3.5, 1000+ hrs of paid clinical experiences, 2 publications, MD letter writer, DO letter writer, 250+ hrs of community service

Congrats!!
Was it via mail or phone call?

When were you complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Question: I interviewed 11/30, what is the likelihood of me finding out a decision before January 10th?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I interviewed 11/15 and have heard nothing. Not that you won’t hear back by then, I’m just giving my two cents.

II today! Dates offered in early February.

Reactions: 2 users
II today at Erie!

Reactions: 2 users
When were people that got an II today complete? I'm losing hope :(

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone interviewed at Seton Hill? I know there is a group interview, but does it also have a 1-on-1 after?

The SH location seems much nicer than Erie. It's also close to Pittsburgh

Does anyone know how long their interview season is/when they interview until?

Has anyone interviewed at Seton Hill? I know there is a group interview, but does it also have a 1-on-1 after?

The SH location seems much nicer than Erie. It's also close to Pittsburgh

I interviewed there and no, there isn't a 1-1 interview after. Just the group interview!

Has anyone who interviewed at seton hill or Erie around 11/16 heard back yet? That’s when I interviewed (at SH) and still haven’t heard anything

Does anyone know who I can send an update letters to- if someone wouldn't mind PMing me

Are there any current students on here I could ask few questions? I am going to be matriculating at Seton Hill this summer and I just have a few questions about what types of technology med students use for PBL/studying so I can know what to get in preparation. TIA!

Since I still haven't heard any word regarding a Class of 2023 (Erie Campus) Facebook Page, I figured I'd post this here. (However, if anyone knows of a more appropriate place to post this message, please redirect me - thanks!)

Hello, I am an incoming member of the LECOM-Erie D.O. Class of 2023, who is looking for 1-2 roommates. Together, I hope we can find and agree on housing within walking distance/short drive to the LECOM-Erie campus, at a total cost of $1000/month or less (splitting the rent between the two or three of us). I am open to renting with medical, pharmacy, and/or dentistry students, but prefer to room with those who are of the same gender (female), non-smokers, and petless. If interested, please PM me. Thank you!

Congrats to everyone accepted so far!!!:highfive:

Hey guys,

Jw does anyone know if a 122 AIS and a 3.33 cGPA is at all competitive?

I've just submitted my primary app through AACOMAS. I was jw if anyone got an II or acceptance with similar stats.

Thank you, and good luck to all my fellow applicants!

Are board scores higher on average if one ends up choosing the PBL pathway?

Last edited:
Are board scores higher on average if one ends up choosing the PBL pathway?
I asked this question on interview day. I believe they said that either they don't keep track of that data or that there are no significant differences. Although I feel like I recall them acting kind of weird when I asked.

Last edited:
Does Google Maps lead you to the North Entrance?
The entrance you should enter will be the one that faces the parking lot. Just go to the back of the building and park and it will be very clear where to go from there. Good luck!

Has anyone that interviewed on 12/7 heard back yet? I emailed admissions on 12/27 and they said a decision hasn't been made on my file (most likely because of the holidays).

Can anyone comment on the DSP track and what that’s like? Also, which apartment complexes do most students stay in? Thanks!

Has anyone that interviewed on 12/7 heard back yet? I emailed admissions on 12/27 and they said a decision hasn't been made on my file (most likely because of the holidays).
my interview was on 11/16 and we haven't heard anything back yet....what is this school doing -_______-

my interview was on 11/16 and we haven't heard anything back yet....what is this school doing -_______-
I wouldn't stress too much especially because of the holidays. My interview was 9/28 and I didn't even hear back until 11/18 and there's not even any holidays in there.

Does anyone on here know that if you go into the primary care pathway (I am going through APAP) if you are able to work as a hospitalist after completing internal medicine residency? Not sure if anyone on here would have an idea?

Can anyone comment on the DSP track and what that’s like? Also, which apartment complexes do most students stay in? Thanks!

Yes I would also like to know

DSP Courses and Modules - LECOM Education System

Additionally here is some of a handout (modules can be seen at the link) that it within the pathway description handout. I'll just type it since my scanner is acting wonky. There may have been some changes to this at some point (as don't know if this is the most recent version) and forgive a typo or two if it exists. Also the following is considered property of LECOM for all intents and purposes as I only transcribed what was written by them.

The Directed Study Pathway
Introduction

The DSP is a unique program among medical school curricula and provides significant flexibility for students during their first two years of medical school. In turn, the pathway requires the student to have excellent organizational and time management skills in order to proceed through the curriculum and meet strict examination deadlines.

The DSP stresses the students' self-directed learning capabilities. Compared to the more traditional LDP medical curriculum, which, during the first two years, may involve an average of 25 hours of mandatory class attendance per week, class time is greatly reduced in the DSP.

The Directed Study Pathway (DSP) is appropriate for students who:

• Are self motivated and self-directed, with good organizational and time management skills (procrastination is not acceptable)
  • Learn best through reading and small group interactions.
  • Are responsible to utilize the freedom from required attendance at lectures to acquire the necessary knowledge and can balance the demands of academic responsibilities with those of extracurricular activites; and
  • Have a strong science or previous clinical background

Program Description

Initial matriculation at LECOM involves a 12-week, five days per week, group of anatomical science courses including Gross Anatomy, Embryology and Histology, with mandatory attendance. Following this course load, DSP students study other basic sciences using lists of highly structured learning objectives compiled into "module" booklets, used in combination with textbooks and other educational resources, in order to master the materials typically in a small group environment. Students proceed through these modules with certain time limits in place and examinations are administered on specific dates by which time the students are expected to have mastered all learning objectives outlined in the module.

While primarily based on faculty-directed module study, DSP students may be required to be present on campus two to five days per week in order to attend classroom and laboratory-based courses needed to complete the preclinical curriculum (both first and second years). Students are therefore expected to maintain living accommodations near campus to limit the time lost to travel.

Though the program stresses independence, it is very much a closely directed course of study and students meet with faculty members regularly. Faculty are also available to assist individual or groups of students in mastering difficult concepts and materials.

The modules are divided into two curricular categories: "Core" and "Systems". Core modules deal with fundamentals of basic science while system modules integrate basic science and clinical disciplines in an organ systems approach to learning. Core modules are utilized during the first and part of the second semesters of the first year, while systems modules begin in the second semester of first year and continue through the full second year. Lecture based courses, including Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP), one of the most characteristic courses of osteopathic medical education, are presented throughout the first and second years, joining together members of the DSP with students from the other curricular pathways. If a class, laboratory session, or meeting is listed on the DSP schedule, unless noted otherwise, it is mandatory.

[My editing in brackets: Modules for 1st and second year and courses are listed. Please see the link above. ]

Students from all pathways are integrated into the clinical clerkships.

The DSP Curriculum Calendar

The DSP curriculum calendar contains specific lectures, meetings and examination times that the students are expected to attend. Entering DSP students begin work on the modules during the fall semester. The calendar is based on five study days per week (though students are expected to dedicate a large amount of their evenings and weekends to study to total about 60-70 hours per week), with the DSP preclinical curriculum to be completed in two years. No courses are scheduled during the summer period between first and second years. Successful completion of the two year DSP program by the set date permits students to take the COMLEX 1 Licensure Examination following their second year and to begin their clinical clerkships at the same time as the LDP and PBL students.
~~~~~
End

Hopefully this clarifies some things for you both. :)

For anyone that is waiting for a decision, does the portal say "application under review" or does it say something else? Thanks!

DSP Courses and Modules - LECOM Education System

Additionally here is some of a handout (modules can be seen at the link) that it within the pathway description handout. I'll just type it since my scanner is acting wonky. There may have been some changes to this at some point (as don't know if this is the most recent version) and forgive a typo or two if it exists. Also the following is considered property of LECOM for all intents and purposes as I only transcribed what was written by them.

The Directed Study Pathway
Introduction

The DSP is a unique program among medical school curricula and provides significant flexibility for students during their first two years of medical school. In turn, the pathway requires the student to have excellent organizational and time management skills in order to proceed through the curriculum and meet strict examination deadlines.

The DSP stresses the students' self-directed learning capabilities. Compared to the more traditional LDP medical curriculum, which, during the first two years, may involve an average of 25 hours of mandatory class attendance per week, class time is greatly reduced in the DSP.

The Directed Study Pathway (DSP) is appropriate for students who:

• Are self motivated and self-directed, with good organizational and time management skills (procrastination is not acceptable)
  • Learn best through reading and small group interactions.
  • Are responsible to utilize the freedom from required attendance at lectures to acquire the necessary knowledge and can balance the demands of academic responsibilities with those of extracurricular activites; and
  • Have a strong science or previous clinical background

Program Description

Initial matriculation at LECOM involves a 12-week, five days per week, group of anatomical science courses including Gross Anatomy, Embryology and Histology, with mandatory attendance. Following this course load, DSP students study other basic sciences using lists of highly structured learning objectives compiled into "module" booklets, used in combination with textbooks and other educational resources, in order to master the materials typically in a small group environment. Students proceed through these modules with certain time limits in place and examinations are administered on specific dates by which time the students are expected to have mastered all learning objectives outlined in the module.

While primarily based on faculty-directed module study, DSP students may be required to be present on campus two to five days per week in order to attend classroom and laboratory-based courses needed to complete the preclinical curriculum (both first and second years). Students are therefore expected to maintain living accommodations near campus to limit the time lost to travel.

Though the program stresses independence, it is very much a closely directed course of study and students meet with faculty members regularly. Faculty are also available to assist individual or groups of students in mastering difficult concepts and materials.

The modules are divided into two curricular categories: "Core" and "Systems". Core modules deal with fundamentals of basic science while system modules integrate basic science and clinical disciplines in an organ systems approach to learning. Core modules are utilized during the first and part of the second semesters of the first year, while systems modules begin in the second semester of first year and continue through the full second year. Lecture based courses, including Osteopathic Principles and Practice (OPP), one of the most characteristic courses of osteopathic medical education, are presented throughout the first and second years, joining together members of the DSP with students from the other curricular pathways. If a class, laboratory session, or meeting is listed on the DSP schedule, unless noted otherwise, it is mandatory.

[My editing in brackets: Modules for 1st and second year and courses are listed. Please see the link above. ]

Students from all pathways are integrated into the clinical clerkships.

The DSP Curriculum Calendar

The DSP curriculum calendar contains specific lectures, meetings and examination times that the students are expected to attend. Entering DSP students begin work on the modules during the fall semester. The calendar is based on five study days per week (though students are expected to dedicate a large amount of their evenings and weekends to study to total about 60-70 hours per week), with the DSP preclinical curriculum to be completed in two years. No courses are scheduled during the summer period between first and second years. Successful completion of the two year DSP program by the set date permits students to take the COMLEX 1 Licensure Examination following their second year and to begin their clinical clerkships at the same time as the LDP and PBL students.
~~~~~
End

Hopefully this clarifies some things for you both. :)
Thank you for the information. Are you a DSP student? I have some specific questions I wanted to ask.

Thank you for the information. Are you a DSP student? I have some specific questions I wanted to ask.
No sorry, this was from a packet during an interview day. I however, am not currently a student - though like many, wish to be ;)

complete since mid july. Nothing.

Reactions: 4 users
Which place would you say has a better campus?

I know some people like SH if they want to be close to the Pittsburgh area

Which place would you say has a better campus?

I know some people like SH if they want to be close to the Pittsburgh area
Depends.
Seton hill is PBL only.
Erie has all pathways.

So if you are not for PBL, you wouldn't find SH better.

I interviewed at SH on 11/16 and my portal finally updated today to "a decision has been made". I wish they didn't have to do snail mail D: