2018-2019 Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (Erie, Pennsylvania)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anyone know if LECOM Erie has a health insurance waiver? Found one on the internet for the Bradenton campus, but not for Erie...

For those of you that have been accepted did your portal change state that you would get a letter in 30 days or 14 days?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know how traffic day effects DO schools?

PS: it's in a week

Anyone know how traffic day effects DO schools?

PS: it's in a week
  • “Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.”
  • “After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.”
“After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn.”

Straight from AACOMAS website^

Reactions: 1 user
  • “Those accepted after May 15 may be asked for an immediate deposit.”
  • “After May 15 of the year of matriculation, each medical college may implement college-specific procedures for accepted students who hold one or more seats at other medical colleges.”
“After May 15, AACOMAS reports to each institution the names and candidates for its entering class who hold an acceptance(s) at additional institutions. An osteopathic medical college may rescind an offer of admissions to a candidate who has paid deposits to or holds positions at multiple institutions. If the osteopathic medical college chooses to withdraw the candidate from the entering class, the college must give the candidate a minimum 15-day notice. After the 15-day notice, if the candidate does not respond and is withdrawn from a college, the deposit is forfeited and the seat may be given to another candidate. Therefore, prior to May 15, applicants need to withdraw from any college(s) which they do not plan to attend and only hold a position at one college of osteopathic medicine to avoid having positions withdrawn.”

Straight from AACOMAS website^
Okay so basically the schools will get a list of people not planning to attend their school and can send a wave of acceptances with however many seats cleared up? I guess that basically means there won't be any movement off waitlists until after this date

Okay so basically the schools will get a list of people not planning to attend their school and can send a wave of acceptances with however many seats cleared up? I guess that basically means there won't be any movement off waitlists until after this date
I think so. Looking through last year’s LECOM thread there seemed to be a bunch of acceptances after traffic day.

I dont think it's about people planning on not going to some schools but a list of applicants who have more than one acceptance or are holding spots at multiple schools

I did a bit of looking through the thread and there have been plenty of people who stated their portal had updated with '14 days' and ended up getting placed on the waitlist as well as people with 30 days getting accepted. I really don't think there is any meaning behind whether it states you will receive your decision in 14 or 30 days. Honestly, I think not just informing us via email is annoying and waiting for a letter is unnecessary.

interviewed late march, received a phone call 5/8 in afternoon asking if I was still interested in LECOM and my top designated pathway(Erie LDP). Then was told I was accepted! Checked my portal later saying I'd receive decision letter within 14 days.

I don't usually post but this thread has kept me sane/informed so wanted to thank you guys and hope this information helps those still patiently waiting!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
interviewed late march, received a phone call 5/8 in afternoon asking if I was still interested in LECOM and my top designated pathway(Erie LDP). Then was told I was accepted! Checked my portal later saying I'd receive decision letter within 14 days.

I don't usually post but this thread has kept me sane/informed so wanted to thank you guys and hope this information helps those still patiently waiting!

Congrats! This is for Erie, right? and they told you over the phone? Did you have any extenuating circumstances which meant you couldn't wait for the letter?

Congrats! This is for Erie, right? and they told you over the phone? Did you have any extenuating circumstances which meant you couldn't wait for the letter?
Yes for eerie and told me about acceptance over the phone. I had no extenuating circumstances. Was literally radio silence after interviewing till I got the call.

Fingers crossed Monday people

Although I did call admissions yesterday and he told me I should receive that letter within the next couple of days. He also confirmed that it was indeed mailed out Monday or Tuesday.

I emailed admissions today asking if they could email it to me because I have issues with the address they sent it to (college campus is closing on Tuesday, didn’t know my new address until 3 days ago)

I got a letter in the mail today so I'm going to pick it up in a couple of hours. I'm not expecting anything else so I'm guessing it's LECOM. Has anyone else got a letter today?

Nope! I get the notifications from USPS and it doesn’t look like LECOM is in there...

I got a letter in the mail today so I'm going to pick it up in a couple of hours. I'm not expecting anything else so I'm guessing it's LECOM. Has anyone else got a letter today?
Let us know!

Hey guys so I was placed on the waitlist. I must have bombed the interview with my stats.

I'm surprised as well

Yeah, this is my 5th waitlist so I must be doing something wrong in interviews. I'm by no means a socially awkward weirdo, but I gotta be doing something wrong lol.

Yeah, this is my 5th waitlist so I must be doing something wrong in interviews. I'm by no means a socially awkward weirdo, but I gotta be doing something wrong lol.
All the power to you in getting off of a waitlist and into a seat for the fall. It only takes one!

wow waitlisted all the way back in January? How are you coping man? that's gotta be rough playing the waiting game.
Dealing with it as constructively as I can. I’m on two WL now and have another interview in a week. I’m looking at linkage programs SMP’s.

I’ve worked in research for the last couple of years and have several publications so I’m going to step away and am looking at joining AmeriCorps while I reapply. If not, moving into a scribing position to boost my clinical experience and free up time to return to my non-clinical volunteering I did before commuting to such a stressful and hectic job.

My job has been a blessing and a curse to my application. My research is unique and I have a lot of experience in it but I should have left after about 1.5 years and worked on other aspects of my application to emphasize my commitment to medicine and humanistic aspects of myself. My job prevented me from working on multiple experiences at once and that’s an issue.

It’s all a learning experience at the end of the day. I’ll continue to improve and reapply. If I don’t get in next cycle with applying more broadly, I’ll retake the MCAT and continue to build my resume. Some one will take me at one point. I have a commitment to medicine and a unique story and many difficult hurdles to get to where I am today.

I’ll step off my soapbox now but it only takes ones to see the drive and passion you have regardless of a few blemishes. We all have a unique stories and some times it gets lost or blurry in the whole process.

The sun will shine on again tomorrow! :)

Reactions: 6 users
This!
Thank you! We will all get there. We just have to want it badly enough. I’m more or less in a similar situation except I worked on the full rounded aspect (over 2,000 hours) with a mix of clinical, shadowing and scribing but not enough research. Only 3 months ~400 hours of research. Or at least my advisor said other than MCAT, that’s the only thing I can address at this point. So I accepted a research position to get published at a top cancer hospital and well, retake the MCAT in June. But even as a URM, this cycle was beast.
For reference- I have a 3.87 postbac gpa, 503 mcat and went to an Ivy League for undergrad. I was ecstatic when I got an interview at LECOM.
Here’s to hoping! We will make it!

Do you think you’ll retake your MCAT? I have a 509 and I’ve had advisors and stuff recommend I retake it until it’s 510+ to increase my chances but it’s so much money and so much time...

Well, USPS informed delivery has a LECOM envelope coming in for me today. Applied late March, and interviewed late in April so I’m expecting wait list at best!

Reactions: 1 users
Well, USPS informed delivery has a LECOM envelope coming in for me today. Applied late March, and interviewed late in April so I’m expecting wait list at best!
Fingers are crossed for you! Patiently awaiting my letter as well (portal also changed Monday)

Not sure if this is just me reading too much into things, but looking back a little bit it seems as though anyone that got a portal change early in the week (Monday, Tuesday) seems to get waitlisted and those with portal changes later in the week (Thursday, Friday) seem to be acceptances. Please comment if your experience is any different!

Not sure if this is just me reading too much into things, but looking back a little bit it seems as though anyone that got a portal change early in the week (Monday, Tuesday) seems to get waitlisted and those with portal changes later in the week (Thursday, Friday) seem to be acceptances. Please comment if your experience is any different!

I got a portal change on a Monday and then got my acceptance letter that Friday.

Yeah I don't think there is any specific way they send it out honestly. Also don't forget that sdn represents a very small number of applicants.

Hey Everyone,

Hope your all doing well! I was accepted to the DSP pathway and I was wondering if there is anyone else that has either been accepted or is currently in the DSP pathway that can talk about it with me a bit more. Just want to make sure that I will be able to utilize resources and faculty time similar to an LDP student. Just don't want to get forgotten about since it is a more self-directed.

Also I know that research is pretty limited at LECOM but they recently opened up a large research facility right? Do you guys have any idea how this will translate more toward research opportunities?

Thanks All

Last edited:
Just got the letter. Interviewed end of March. Portal changed last Monday. Low 60s LizzyM with high MCAT/low GPA. Waitlisted.

*raises glass* To waiting!!

Reactions: 1 users