2018-2019 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It lists AACOMAS as one of the methods in the college information book for DO schools, so I assume they just haven't updated them for folks just yet.

If i remember correctly i used AACOMAS with Interfolio. If you have more than like 5 or 6 LORs you can use interfolio and send a paper copy to the schools. Things could of chnaged over the past 2 years. idk.

Members don't see this ad.

Is it a must to have a D.O recommendation for this school? I just submitted my secondary for the 2018-2019 cycle, and I have 5 recommendations (one of which is MD) but I can't seem to find a D.O who responds to their email or phone.

Unfortunately yes. I also submitted my secondary and didn’t realize I need a DO letter. I don’t think I’ll be able to get one at this point as I haven’t established a relationship with one.

Hello,

This is confusing because the LUCOM website has not been updated in several places regarding the physician letter requirement change this year. In past cycles an Osteopathic letter has been required (though I believe exceptions were made according to previous SDN threads). However, this cycle the physician letter requirement has been opened up to either an Allopathic (MD) or Osteopathic (DO) physician letter. This is reflected in the College Information Book (CIB) at the American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (AACOM) website for LUCOM. Hope this helps!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hey guys, I just got an email from LUCOM regarding a CASper test? Anyone else get that? And if so is it easy? And where does that mean I stand regarding the interview? I sent my secondary over a week ago.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
I already took the casper and I just sent them my results. Hopefully doesn't delay my app too much

The earliest I was able to schedule was August 8th. Does this mean I won't be considered for an interview before I take this test and wait 2-3 weeks for it to be sent to the schools? Seems kinda like a pain lol. Unnecessary elongation of an already long process.

Reactions: 1 user
I already took the casper and I just sent them my results. Hopefully doesn't delay my app too much

In the email they said "sign up with your LUID" but I had already taken casper. I see I have the option to send the results but I went ahead an sent an email to casper first to see if they could add my LUID first.

In the email they said "sign up with your LUID" but I had already taken casper. I see I have the option to send the results but I went ahead an sent an email to casper first to see if they could add my LUID first.
I don't think you need to. On the Casper site you can just add LUCOM to your list of schools and they will send your scores to them directly

I don't think you need to. On the Casper site you can just add LUCOM to your list of schools and they will send your scores to them directly

My concern is the delay in matching the scores with the application. Only your name will be available on both data sets, as casper currently only includes AMCAS and TMDSAS numbers for me. I think this is why they want you to put your LUID into the casper system so that casper delivers them test results with your LUID attached

Did y'all have to pay 20$ to take the Casper test too?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations to those who've received IIs already!

Did anyone who has not currently taken/submitted their CASPer get an II yet? Just curious to see whether they are sending out IIs without CASPers or if they will only send them once the scores are in.

II a few days ago! Lizzy score: 62 (gotta love an underdog, right?) Going in for my interview on 9/17. Anyone else going to be there?

Reactions: 1 users
So I haven't received a secondary from this school, and it's been almost 2 weeks since receiving an email from LUCOM about initial reviews. I have higher stats than their average and a pretty good app otherwise. Thoughts?
I remember that mine went to my junk mail for some reason. If it isn't there after a month (I know, it sounds like a long time, but you'll be fine), then I'd contact the adcom and tell them you're really interested in the school. Last I heard, we've already had 1800+ applications, so the turnaround might be longer than expected.
Please let me know if any of you have any questions that you'd like to get a personal response to! I'm a current OMS-II, and willing to help out in any way, especially for those that reach out!

Reactions: 2 users
Hi JD2019,

Thank you for your detailed response, your insight is super valuable. I'm so glad to hear that LUCOM is so committed to giving its students a good experience. Every school does have their pros and cons - but your post has me excited to apply haha. How has the quality of rotations been for you? Thank you again for your time!
I would give a grade of 85% on quality, and again it would be higher but my class is still going through those growing pains and working things out, so it should be even higher should you attend. LUCOM staff really works hard in real time and adapts things to help the students, they are very supportive. The only reason I don't give it higher is because of a particular physician I was stuck with for an entire month that was really bad (this was the case for every student with that physician, and again, those things get filtered out and made better as years go on). LUCOM offers multiple sites in multiple states including VA, PA, Indiana, Texas, and others where you can attempt to select to spend your entire 3rd year (3rd year is spent for the whole year in 1 LUCOM affiliated and run site), in addition to the option of staying home in Lynchburg for your entire 3rd year (which is what I did). 4th year, you can travel all over the country as 4th year is basically set up by you, and even the world in multiple countries where LUCOM has rotations set up, or you can stay in Lynchburg and a coordinator helps set up your Lynchburg rotations.

In summary, my rotations have been excellent, and I feel adequately prepared to function as a 1st year resident next year--you will too!

Last edited:
yeah also didn't this school just receive its accreditation 1.5 months ago?? Does anyone know any current med students or heard of any experiences from this med school?
you can read my post to basically this same question around July 18. New medical schools all receive accreditation right before they graduate their first class, a formality. The match rate for that class was 98%

I would give a grade of 85% on quality, and again it would be higher but my class is still going through those growing pains and working things out, so it should be even higher should you attend. LUCOM staff really works hard in real time and adapts things to help the students, they are very supportive. The only reason I don't give it higher is because of a particular physician I was stuck with for an entire month that was really bad (this was the case for every student with that physician, and again, those things get filtered out and made better as years go on). LUCOM offers multiple sites in multiple states including VA, PA, Indiana, Texas, and others where you can attempt to select to spend your entire 3rd year (3rd year is spent for the whole year in 1 LUCOM affiliated and run site), in addition to the option of staying home in Lynchburg for your entire 3rd year (which is what I did). 4th year, you can travel all over the country as 4th year is basically set up by you, and even the world in multiple countries where LUCOM has rotations set up, or you can stay in Lynchburg and a coordinator helps set up your Lynchburg rotations.

In summary, my rotations have been excellent, and I feel adequately prepared to function as a 1st year resident next year--you will too!
Does this include Latin American countries??

Does this include Latin American countries??

Last I heard they were working on Lesotho and Kenya (maybe??) in Africa - They do have relationships with a fair number of countries in central america. I don't know to what extent though. I think you can individually set up stuff at hospitals if you really desire to go somewhere.

I just submitted my secondary application and did not get a receipt or any email back regarding my submission. Does anyone know if the email comes in after a certain period of time? Or should I contact them regarding this?

hey everyone! Can anyone tell me if LUCOM actually enforces their personal conduct policy? I’ve heard different things from different people.

I just submitted my secondary application and did not get a receipt or any email back regarding my submission. Does anyone know if the email comes in after a certain period of time? Or should I contact them regarding this?

Mine came a full day later

I heard that LUCOM had a school dance with an open bar last year, and students were allowed to drink? Does LUCOM just put up a hard front, and then let you do whatever you want? If so, I think I’ll be more interested in going there, knowing that they won’t be micromanaging.

I heard that LUCOM had a school dance with an open bar last year, and students were allowed to drink? Does LUCOM just put up a hard front, and then let you do whatever you want? If so, I think I’ll be more interested in going there, knowing that they won’t be micromanaging.

I don't think they micromanage. But they do enforce policies.

That event was the winter formal, people did drink. The bar wasn't at the event, it was near by. And it was made very clear afterwards that drinking is a huge no at events, especially school related ones.

The school just wants their graduate students to look professional an act the same.

I have never interviewed at a school who thinks they are the best thing this planet has ever seen, and yet cannot walk their talk. I had never been treated so badly by an admissions committee. Thank GOD I got accepted into a different school, because this one is a joke and will fail very quickly in the osteopathic world, if they do not get their act together... especially since about 30 students of their 2021 class had to remediate their first year. Save your money, don’t apply.

I have never interviewed at a school who thinks they are the best thing this planet has ever seen, and yet cannot walk their talk. I had never been treated so badly by an admissions committee. Thank GOD I got accepted into a different school, because this one is a joke and will fail very quickly in the osteopathic world, if they do not get their act together... especially since about 30 students of their 2021 class had to remediate their first year. Save your money, don’t apply.

Can you elaborate?

Can you elaborate?
I know someone that attends LUCOM and they said ~12 people had to remediate, not counting those that flunked out completely (around 8 more). That’s what, almost 15% of the class that couldn’t make it through the first year? I wonder how many will actually graduate...

This is one of the many photos that has been circulating the school, and lucom does nothing. @DrSchool11 , you’re right. Hypocrisy there is awful. They’re focusing too much on looking better than others than ensuring the real success of their students.
@Jjilikers , is that necessary?

Why were they rude? Explain?

None of this is true

I know someone that attends LUCOM and they said ~12 people had to remediate, not counting those that flunked out completely (around 8 more). That’s what, almost 15% of the class that couldn’t make it through the first year? I wonder how many will actually graduate...

I won't refute the fact that a fair number of people remiediated in my class, I was one. But I wager a bet that most of the people who remediated would lay the blame for that on themsevles and not the school. I got behind in a very time consuming class and couldn't catch up.

As far as the "8 people who flunked" - a significant majority of them had medical issues in the spring. Half of our class got the flu, I was one of those as well, it knocked us down in a really tough time of the year and that spelled disaster for many people.

Did some people just fail? Yeah. Med school is hard and there are casualties.

But please don't spread rumors based on one half of the story. This is a good school. Does it have flaws? Sure. Everywhere does.

Anyone is welcome to PM me with questions. I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Reactions: 1 users
Concur. Everyone knows it was a bad flu year, and that really affected a lot of people, especially those with underlying medical issues. We definitely did not lose 30 people though. There were also a lot of people who had family circumstances or other personal issues that came up throughout the year and the school graciously offered them the opportunity to come back the following year so they could take time off. The people who actually failed out will tell you that they didn't put in the work.

The school is nowhere near perfect, no school is. It definitely has its flaws, but the faculty really care about us and want us to pass. I'm often the first to point out flaws, but I'm also extremely grateful to be here and wouldn't choose to go to any other school.

Current OMS-2, and I'm also happy to answer any questions.

I won't refute the fact that a fair number of people remiediated in my class, I was one. But I wager a bet that most of the people who remediated would lay the blame for that on themsevles and not the school. I got behind in a very time consuming class and couldn't catch up.

As far as the "8 people who flunked" - a significant majority of them had medical issues in the spring. Half of our class got the flu, I was one of those as well, it knocked us down in a really tough time of the year and that spelled disaster for many people.

Did some people just fail? Yeah. Med school is hard and there are casualties.

But please don't spread rumors based on one half of the story. This is a good school. Does it have flaws? Sure. Everywhere does.

Anyone is welcome to PM me with questions. I'll try to answer them to the best of my ability.

Last edited:
Concur. Everyone knows it was a bad flu year, and that really affected a lot of people, especially those with underlying medical issues. We definitely did not lose 30 people though. There were also a lot of people who had family circumstances or other personal issues that came up throughout the year and the school graciously offered them the opportunity to come back the following year so they could take time off. The people who actually failed out will tell you that they didn't put in the work.

The school is nowhere near perfect, no school is. It definitely has its flaws, but the faculty really care about us and want us to pass. I'm often the first to point out flaws, but I'm also extremely grateful to be here and wouldn't choose to go to any other school.

Current OMS-2, and I'm also happy to answer any questions.
This was well said. The school has flaws, but all of them do. One thing that I love about LUCOM is that they aren't afraid to change and try new things. Sometimes those ideas don't work out, but instead of being stubborn, LUCOM will see that the efforts were not fruitful and try another course of action. So yes, there are still growing pains, but I believe that this school will continually get better because they are open to change. I'd rather have complaints that I see being fixed in later years than having the same issues as the classes that came before me.

What happened with the students who were given acceptances last cycle and then told not to make their deposits due to lack of seats? Was everyone eventually admitted or were some of them deferred to the 2023 class?