2018-2019 Liberty University (LUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
After nearly 7 weeks of not hearing back, I decided to log into my LUCOM account only to see a "Status: Reject". I then proceeded to create a Liberty email address through the site where I had an unread email stating I was rejected.

I will be honest and try to remain unbiased. I really enjoyed my interview and visit to the school. However, they had made a mistake nearly every step of the application process, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. Keep in mind that I have already been accepted to another school, so this is not a post out of desperate anger, rather a reflection.

After 5+ weeks radio silence, when we were explicitly told we would receive a decision within 21 days, I reached out to an SDN member who is affiliated with the school. They were very helpful, but recommended I write a letter of intent/interest. However, I was torn. I wasn't sure I wanted to commit to a school who didn't keep their word, and I certainly didn't want to commit to a school who wasn't willing to commit to me without a LOI. Again, with an acceptance in hand, I had the liberty (no pun intended) of choice. At the end of the day, the rejection didn't hurt simply due to the fact that after the 6 week mark, I realized I'd rather not attend a school whose actions don't match their word.

TLDR; School says 21 days at most, took me 47 days and my own digging to realize I was rejected. I hold no ill will towards the school, but the rejection came without a sting.

Good luck to those still applying!

From the beginning of interview day, they made it clear that all decisions and responses would be sent to the Liberty email only. I don't see how they did not keep to their word when this is what they told us to expect from the beginning. Also, regarding to your comment about their unwillingness to "commit" to you, they also made it very clear from the beginning of interview day that we all deserved to be there and deserved a seat given our interviews went well – for instance, when I got my acceptance, Dr. Patton insisted that he would do everything he could to get me in Lynchburg and that Liberty wanted me there.

From the beginning of interview day, they made it clear that all decisions and responses would be sent to the Liberty email only. I don't see how they did not keep to their word when this is what they told us to expect from the beginning. Also, regarding to your comment about their unwillingness to "commit" to you, they also made it very clear from the beginning of interview day that we all deserved to be there and deserved a seat given our interviews went well – for instance, when I got my acceptance, Dr. Patton insisted that he would do everything he could to get me in Lynchburg and that Liberty wanted me there.

Quote me if I’m wrong, but I was actually told that acceptances are communicated through phone calls and waitlisted/rejections are communicated through emails. I wrote this down when listening to Dr. Patton explaining about this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Quote me if I’m wrong, but I was actually told that acceptances are communicated through phone calls and waitlisted/rejections are communicated through emails. I wrote this down when listening to Dr. Patton explaining about this.

This is true – but through Liberty email. Acceptances are also sent via email after a phone call (to Liberty email. I never got an email in my regular email account.)

Huh...wonder that means for me. I interviewed 10/11 and haven't heard a thing yet.
I interviewed on 9/24 and still nothing. I check my liberty email daily. I hope they tell me something soon.

Last edited:
I think this question might have been asked a lot already, but can anyone comment on the vibe at LUCOM? How conservative is it? I don’t mind being prayed for, but I also don’t want to hear a sermon on political topics/ be judged or at a disadvantage for being more liberal.

I think this question might have been asked a lot already, but can anyone comment on the vibe at LUCOM? How conservative is it? I don’t mind being prayed for, but I also don’t want to hear a sermon on political topics/ be judged or at a disadvantage for being more liberal.

Somewhat conservative from what I understand. They don't allow extramarital sec, alcohol, or smoking. No real way to monitor that though since all LUCOM students live off campus. They'll pray for you apparently, but don't force you to subscribe to their views. They are "unapologetically christian", but don't discriminate. Way I see it, if you can accept that, go for it. They claim to have muslims, hindus, and even a buddhist attend, but I have no proof of their claims.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhat conservative from what I understand. They don't allow extramarital sec, alcohol, or smoking. No real way to monitor that though since all LUCOM students live off campus. They'll pray for you apparently, but don't force you to subscribe to their views. They are "unapologetically christian", but don't discriminate. Way I see it, if you can accept that, go for it. They claim to have muslims, hindus, and even a buddhist attend, but I have no proof of their claims.

Pretty much spot on. The adcom, admins, and student body don't discriminate against anyone. I know we do have people of the above stated religions plus some atheists as well.

I think the vibe tends to be conservative in nature, we have a lot of big name republican names drop by the school - trump, several governors, senators, ben carson. But with that being said there are liberal people at LUCOM, as well as people who really don't care either way.

Reactions: 1 users
Pretty much spot on. The adcom, admins, and student body don't discriminate against anyone. I know we do have people of the above stated religions plus some atheists as well.

I think the vibe tends to be conservative in nature, we have a lot of big name republican names drop by the school - trump, several governors, senators, ben carson. But with that being said there are liberal people at LUCOM, as well as people who really don't care either way.

Thanks for the insight, that’s really helpful. I’m just concerned because my undergraduate university was like LUCOM and made the same claims, yet I still felt like an outcast from my professors and my peers once they realized I was more liberal and less religious. I really don’t want a repeat in med school.

Thanks for the insight, that’s really helpful. I’m just concerned because my undergraduate university was like LUCOM and made the same claims, yet I still felt like an outcast from my professors and my peers once they realized I was more liberal and less religious. I really don’t want a repeat in med school.

I don't think you would be an outcast. The first year of med school was so packed full of labs and classes that I didn't have time to care about political stuff or school events. You just attempt to survive and find a group of people you can chill with in-between the turmoil.

And i'm pretty sure there are groups/clicks for just about anyone at the school. It sort of reminds me of high school honestly lol.

When are we supposed to hear decisions? This week or next week? I remember them saying that the committee met this Wednesday.

Last edited:
When are we supposed to hear decisions? This week or next week? I remember them saying that the committee met this Wednesday.
They've been pretty slow so far. I'm now at the 5 week mark and there are many others who have interviewed me weeks before I did. And I assume they haven't heard anything because they would have posted here.

Haven't gotten a call or a MyLU email.

So, I submitted my secondary a few days ago, paid the fee and got a confirmation email. But the widget still says I'm missing LORs/Secondary/Payment. Did anyone else get this?

So you got your acceptance like super recently (last few days ago) or like early-mid October?
Sorry. Just trying to figure out their response time post interview.
They called me the first week of October so a 10 day waiting period for me.

I interviewed Oct 11 and haven't heard back. No phone call or email. Someone in my interview group heard back within days, but I don't after how many days.

I interviewed Oct 11 and haven't heard back. No phone call or email. Someone in my interview group heard back within days, but I don't after how many days.
Oh man :(, well I guess we just have to hang in there, hope for the best and keep pushing through! The waiting and wondering can definitely cause major anxiety but it’s just part of the process I guess. Congrats to those who have acceptances and for those who don’t I really do wish the best for you guys and I hope everything works out :D

try checking your portal and the LUCOM email

I know how to access my portal and LU email but I’m not sure where to go once inside the portal in order to check the status. could you please give a short explanation of how ?

It's what I have been doing....3x a day for the past few weeks. I know form the interview day that they will send it to your LUCOM email and not your normal email address.
My heart has been set on attending this place but it sucks that they don't see it the same way.

Those of you who have gotten acceptances, congrats. You don't have to wait like many others here, haha!

I know how to access my portal and LU email but I’m not sure where to go once inside the portal in order to check the status. could you please give a short explanation of how ?
Hi, please let me know if you figure it out how to check the app status. I am wondering if they received all my documents, and my application is complete.

Hi, please let me know if you figure it out how to check the app status. I am wondering if they received all my documents, and my application is complete.
What I do is click on the building icon on the right side bar on the MyLU page The one that says ASIST. And then General Information, Applicant Status.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed 10/5. Accepted 10/31. I appreciate how quickly they get back to you. Any comment or info on matching into specialties? I want to go into trauma or ER medicine, but it seems that most there have matched to Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. Thoughts from current med students or potential other classmates?

Interviewed 10/5. Accepted 10/31. I appreciate how quickly they get back to you. Any comment or info on matching into specialties? I want to go into trauma or ER medicine, but it seems that most there have matched to Family Medicine or Internal Medicine. Thoughts from current med students or potential other classmates?

In 4 years when you match I'm sure LUCOM will be a much bigger name than it is now. I would just try to get good grades and nail your boards.

Just watch the match results over the next couple years. I'm interested to see 2019's and 2020's.

In 4 years when you match I'm sure LUCOM will be a much bigger name than it is now. I would just try to get good grades and nail your boards.

Just watch the match results over the next couple years. I'm interested to see 2019's and 2020's.

I hope that is the case. Right now it looks like most end up in Family Medicine and Internal Medicine and I am more interested in Trauma.

Has anyone heard anything lately? Left some voice mails but about to hit the 7 week mark since my interview.

Checked my applicant status and it says, “PV pending interview” as of November 14th... am I missing an email or are they still deciding whether to send an II?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Checked my applicant status and it says, “PV pending interview” as of November 14th... am I missing an email or are they still deciding whether to send an II?

So my application status says that, as well. Except mine is dated August 17th. And I've already interviewed.

I really like the school, the faculty we interacted with, and the students. The campus and that entire part of Virginia are really quite gorgeous. But at this point, Liberty is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. They promised us 3 to 4 weeks and here I am, waiting at the start of the 8th week after my interview when people who interviewed later have already heard back. It's almost like if they don't want us right off the bat, they don't really care about us...

So my application status says that, as well. Except mine is dated August 17th. And I've already interviewed.

I really like the school, the faculty we interacted with, and the students. The campus and that entire part of Virginia are really quite gorgeous. But at this point, Liberty is really leaving a bad taste in my mouth. They promised us 3 to 4 weeks and here I am, waiting at the start of the 8th week after my interview when people who interviewed later have already heard back. It's almost like if they don't want us right off the bat, they don't really care about us...

Have yet to interview. Was the interview chill? They promise a 3-4 week decision after interview?

Have yet to interview. Was the interview chill? They promise a 3-4 week decision after interview?

Yeah, so the interview process is really chill. They're really just having a conversation with you to figure out why you want to attend the school and if you're a good fit for them. It is open file, so be prepared to have good answers for any shortcomings in your application, though.

They promise 3 weeks on their website, said 3-4 weeks in person at the conclusion of interview day.

They told our group 10-21 days.
And I know someone who interviewed same day as me and got an acceptance. I don't know what they are doing with the rest of the people, but almost 7 weeks here and nothing yet.

Check your spam people. Apparently I never received my II due to email issues!

For those of you still waiting on a decision, when I was up there for the open house on 11/16, the associate dean told us that Dean Bell was out of town at a conference, so that could be one reason for the delay. The following week was Thanksgiving, so the school was closed half the week. I'm sure they have a backlog of applicants and interviewees to look over and discuss.

Also, about GPA and MCAT requirements...we were told that the school is raising their standards now that they have full accreditation and have graduated a matching class. They are trying to fill a class with top GPAs and MCAT scores that match their mission (this was emphasized, and he said an applicant would only be considered if they show interest in service, no matter what their stats), then they will go back and look at or re-look at applicants that fall lower on the stats. Bottom line here is: if you fall on the lower end of their "required" stats, you may be in for a long wait, but if you fit the mission of the school, all hope is not lost.

Hang in there and be patient!

II right now! First one ever and I'm a reapplicant. I currently feel a wave of emotions, but I will prepare myself for my interview in December.
Any last minute tips guys? I greatly appreciate it! I've been following this thread and the 2017-2018 one very closely, and had faith.

Good luck to everyone still waiting and congratulations to all those accepted! I hope to be your classmate next fall!

Reactions: 2 users
Also received my II this morning!
Anyone remember any specific interview questions?
How similar is the LUCOM culture in terms of Christianity to Liberty's undergrad?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Does anyone have Dr. Patton’s cell phone number?! I have a missed call and voicemail from his office number and he wasn’t there on my interview day to get his cell. I was on a flight when he called and the offices are closed by now. Please help me out.

Does anyone have Dr. Patton’s cell phone number?! I have a missed call and voicemail from his office number and he wasn’t there on my interview day to get his cell. I was on a flight when he called and the offices are closed by now. Please help me out.

That sounds like good news! I don't have that number but hopefully you can call back tomorrow. When did you interview?