2018-2019 Lincoln Memorial University (LMUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
And has anyone gotten the background check email yet? They said they would send it after December 14th, so it’s been a hot minute.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
And has anyone gotten the background check email yet? They said they would send it after December 14th, so it’s been a hot minute.

No, I have not. I was considering making a call to ask if it will be sent soon. I was hoping to get it over with while on winter break.

Also, what do they need for the health portion? Lifetime medical records or just a physical stating current health?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

No, I have not. I was considering making a call to ask if it will be sent soon. I was hoping to get it over with while on winter break.

Also, what do they need for the health portion? Lifetime medical records or just a physical stating current health?

Right?! They said they would be sending more information too but haven’t yet. I’ll send and email on Monday

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Can someone who has interviewed or planning to interview & traveling by plane share how they got to Herrogate & where you stayed

Last edited:
My friend and I withdrew our II. Hope it goes to one of you! :)

Last chance for anyone that needs a ride from Knoxville for the interview Friday (1/18). I’m leaving here probably around noon-ish tomorrow (it’s flexible though). I really just want to make it in time for the meet and greet.

Last edited:
Does anyone know if people are still being accepted at this point or are most interviews being waitlisted?

Does anyone know if people are still being accepted at this point or are most interviews being waitlisted?

I popped in on the virtual fair today and Whitney said they’ve only accepted about half of the class so far. So still a good chance of getting in!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
I popped in on the virtual fair today and Whitney said they’ve only accepted about half of the class so far. So still a good chance of getting in!

That's good to hear! I am currently on the wait list and hoping for some good news in the coming months.

Hey everyone, does anyone have any recommendations on which car rental company to choose at McGhee Tyson Airport. I have done a few searches on Expedia, Kayak and specific company websites as well. However, the reviews for the cars that have a good daily rate are pretty discouraging.

Therefore, I’d be quite grateful if anyone could share what they have used and what they’ve liked. :cool:

Hey everyone, does anyone have any recommendations on which car rental company to choose at McGhee Tyson Airport. I have done a few searches on Expedia, Kayak and specific company websites as well. However, the reviews for the cars that have a good daily rate are pretty discouraging.

Therefore, I’d be quite grateful if anyone could share what they have used and what they’ve liked. :cool:
I used budget, which overall was fine. I got a decent car for a good price... but the wait was awful. I spent almost 45 min in line because so many people had booked through them that day as well.

Someone i spoke to in line said she normally used enterprise when she went there, and it was worth the money because it was so quick etc.

Members don't see this ad :)

Hey! I used an App called Turo. The car I rented came out to like ~$60. Check it out!

They accept people until the start date and usually interview until April or so.

They don’t just fill up the class right away because a lot of the late interviewed people where MD hopefuls who tossed a late app after no acceptances.

They want the strongest students they can get so they wait it out

Does anyone have some input on which town to live in if you are going to the Harrogate campus? Currently trying to decipher between the Gap, Middlesboro, Harrogate (obviously) and possibly Tazewell....
Harrogate is best. Mboro good if you need state assistance type things. Tazewell nah it’s pretty far but doable. Harrogate cost a little more than mboro

congrats on the acceptance y'all. 4th year here, PM me if you have any questions.

here's my skinny, if you have another acceptance, heavily weigh your options. If you are 100% certain of primary care (FM, IM, Peds) or PM&R, LMU will be fine. Anything else interests you, i'd be weary. I wont go into heavy details, but I will say on all my interviews I was asked where my school is and how old it was because no one has ever heard of it. I didn't think this mattered when i matriculated 4 years ago, but i believe it has some impact on how you're viewed as an applicant. Also, DCOM is getting a lot of flak because of opening the new campus with +125 students and the same clinical sites to put them in. I'm sure some of my peers would say otherwise, but its usually the ones who are doing well that love to brag about the school.

take a look at this page as well : Postgraduate Placement Information - Lincoln Memorial University

I lived in Harrogate, as well as in the Knoxville area. Harrogate sucks, Middlesboro sucks, pretty much anywhere in that area is boring unless you love hiking or outdoors stuff. You will be bored, just go study more. Dont worry about lectures being streamed or any of that, you wont care once you're a month in and i was a regular lecture goer. Cost of living is cheaper than most places, you can rent some nice houses in Harrogate for super cheap if you have roommates.

There's plenty to do in Knoxville, and everything is no more than 15 minutes away no matter what part you live in. The giant local highway "kingston pike" has everything on it...and i mean everything. I chose a knoxville area site because i wanted to be close to multiple hospitals for rotations. It worked out well for me, but DCOM core sites are very hit and miss. dont get hyped on the "rural rotations are better" propaganda they like to push. Yes you'll be first assist in surgery and get to do a couple more procedures than your peers, but residency programs dont care about that as much as they'd like to see your team dynamic and evaluation within an academic system. You cant rotate at UT unless you're accepted through a VSAS app (aka 4th year) .Children's takes 3rd years for one rotation (peds surgery), the rest require you to be a 4th year. I can tell you i had some rotations where i was busy the whole day and others where i was done at 10AM every day. I cant say anything about research in Knoxville, UT is actually a private hospital with private groups and an academic name. They do have some research, but its definitely not a huge research place like Vanderbilt. You can do some little research projects in Harrogate, but the opportunities are few to come by.

the biggest takeaway is medical school is now all about killing your boards. DCOM did not prepare my class for this and i have no idea what they are going to do for the incoming classes. from what i've heard, class of 2020 got rocked by boards. once again, someone will come by and say "i went to DCOM and did just fine and matched neurosurgery #1 choice", these are the minority in a class of 230+. i have enjoyed my time in medical school and although DCOM wasn't ideal, it allowed me to meet my goals and meet a lot of incredible people. That being said, its only getting more competitive and going to more established school like MSU/KCU/DMU/etc will be more beneficial IMO.

Reactions: 4 users
congrats on the acceptance y'all. 4th year here, PM me if you have any questions.

here's my skinny, if you have another acceptance, heavily weigh your options. If you are 100% certain of primary care (FM, IM, Peds) or PM&R, LMU will be fine. Anything else interests you, i'd be weary. I wont go into heavy details, but I will say on all my interviews I was asked where my school is and how old it was because no one has ever heard of it. I didn't think this mattered when i matriculated 4 years ago, but i believe it has some impact on how you're viewed as an applicant. Also, DCOM is getting a lot of flak because of opening the new campus with +125 students and the same clinical sites to put them in. I'm sure some of my peers would say otherwise, but its usually the ones who are doing well that love to brag about the school.

take a look at this page as well : Postgraduate Placement Information - Lincoln Memorial University

I lived in Harrogate, as well as in the Knoxville area. Harrogate sucks, Middlesboro sucks, pretty much anywhere in that area is boring unless you love hiking or outdoors stuff. You will be bored, just go study more. Dont worry about lectures being streamed or any of that, you wont care once you're a month in and i was a regular lecture goer. Cost of living is cheaper than most places, you can rent some nice houses in Harrogate for super cheap if you have roommates.

There's plenty to do in Knoxville, and everything is no more than 15 minutes away no matter what part you live in. The giant local highway "kingston pike" has everything on it...and i mean everything. I chose a knoxville area site because i wanted to be close to multiple hospitals for rotations. It worked out well for me, but DCOM core sites are very hit and miss. dont get hyped on the "rural rotations are better" propaganda they like to push. Yes you'll be first assist in surgery and get to do a couple more procedures than your peers, but residency programs dont care about that as much as they'd like to see your team dynamic and evaluation within an academic system. You cant rotate at UT unless you're accepted through a VSAS app (aka 4th year) .Children's takes 3rd years for one rotation (peds surgery), the rest require you to be a 4th year. I can tell you i had some rotations where i was busy the whole day and others where i was done at 10AM every day. I cant say anything about research in Knoxville, UT is actually a private hospital with private groups and an academic name. They do have some research, but its definitely not a huge research place like Vanderbilt. You can do some little research projects in Harrogate, but the opportunities are few to come by.

the biggest takeaway is medical school is now all about killing your boards. DCOM did not prepare my class for this and i have no idea what they are going to do for the incoming classes. from what i've heard, class of 2020 got rocked by boards. once again, someone will come by and say "i went to DCOM and did just fine and matched neurosurgery #1 choice", these are the minority in a class of 230+. i have enjoyed my time in medical school and although DCOM wasn't ideal, it allowed me to meet my goals and meet a lot of incredible people. That being said, its only getting more competitive and going to more established school like MSU/KCU/DMU/etc will be more beneficial IMO.
Fuh, this scares me. I have an interview for Feb 1, but it's an 11 hour drive for me. I have an acceptance to VCOM-auburn and interviewed at arcom and got another one from lecom. Should I still attend this one?

What he said. It’s good for primary care but not very helpful for trying to get into Uber competitive specialties, not that most people that get accepted to dcom would get the board scores for Uber competitive specialties anyway.
But I’ll echo what the above says if you are OK w primary care come to dcom.
If you get accepted nowhere else come to dcom
If you want to do academic research, surgical sub specialties, derm, etc. don’t come to DCOM. Even EM is getting hard and we have no affiliate hospital WITH an EM program to get ER letters of rec from (important)
But the school is fairly honest and does not hide the fact it’s mission is primary care so don’t throw all the blame onto DCOM.
We have a couple match into the above every year but ask yourself, do you think that one or two people willl be you? I know everyone wears rose colored glasses first year but be realistic

I know half my class wanted to do like derm, ortho, etc first year but by start of their year most came to their senses (most) and realized it won’t happen.

Get good board scores and you might but it’s not likely just to the fact it’s not likely anywhere (esp DO schools).

They also added three new clinical sites and lost one
1. Whitesburg KY
2. Some small place in Middle Florida
3. Some place near Paris TN (rural)

we do not have Arkansas site any more.

Most of my peers have done 3-4 away rotations for EM, which means more in that field. It is getting more competitive, but I dont think having a EM program helps as much as it would for surgical fields or anesthesia. Arkansas was a really good site and took like 10 people, sucks to see that one gone. I definitely had the rose-colored glasses as a first year, but boards and second year beat it out of me.

also: LMU-DCOM Tabbed as Top Producer of Primary Care Residents by U.S. News - Lincoln Memorial University

Fuh, this scares me. I have an interview for Feb 1, but it's an 11 hour drive for me. I have an acceptance to VCOM-auburn and interviewed at arcom and got another one from lecom. Should I still attend this one?

I would consider all your options, check out DCOM if you can make it. Most schools are pretty much the same, you just want to go somewhere that you can be successful in; whether that's in Harrogate or Erie you'll have to figure out

The board scores seem to be pretty good from what is published. If the school does not prepare students for boards, what did yall do to succeed on them?

The board scores seem to be pretty good from what is published. If the school does not prepare students for boards, what did yall do to succeed on them?

what is published? I've never seen DCOM publish their board averages, they just mention them in Dean's hours every once in a while. 2019 appears to be the anomaly year that crushed COMLEX, national average was in the 560's while ours was 520's. They "readjusted" the exam for 2020 to lower the average

most of my classmates ignored what DCOM told us (study for classes and you'll pass boards) and just did UFAP + sketchy. I know someone who got all C's but ended up with 260 Step-1, once again this is a minority.

Idk pick the one with non mandantory lectures, lowest tuition, an affiliated hospital, and high board scores. I don’t know which one that is though a lot don’t publish their scores which is ridic

Just got the call...accepted, interviewed 1/11 :)

Just got my acceptance call too! Interviewed 1/11!

Call was a blur...other than admissions sending an email in the upcoming week, did he mention when we’d find out about which campus we were assigned?

And congrats!!!
thanks, congrats to you as well!

i received the call on friday and missed it, but that allowed me to replay the message over and over haha. i just checked again and he just mentioned receiving the email to me, nothing about campus assignment unfortunately

Call was a blur...other than admissions sending an email in the upcoming week, did he mention when we’d find out about which campus we were assigned?

And congrats!!!

I didn’t find out until I got the email :)

I know an ortho resident from here and he's had nothing but good things to say about the school. Boards and auditions for the competitive specialties. So not all doom and gloom.

Reactions: 4 users
For those who have done the gross anatomy bootcamp, do you think it’s worth it? I’m considering it since it’s been years since I haven’t taken anatomy but I’m also going to the Knoxville campus so going to harrogate for a month may be tough. Thoughts?

For those who have done the gross anatomy bootcamp, do you think it’s worth it? I’m considering it since it’s been years since I haven’t taken anatomy but I’m also going to the Knoxville campus so going to harrogate for a month may be tough. Thoughts?

I think campus housing is provided during the program.

Hi Friends! I'm interviewing here soon. I checked hotels and they're all booked up for the night before, so I had some questions:

1- has anyone stayed in Knoxville the night before? How did that work out?

2- are people planning to go to the dinner the night before? Is anyone planning to skip it? People who have gone, would you say it's important to go? If i stay in Knox I may skip the dinner since driving an hour back and forth each day seems like a lot... but I don't want to miss anything important

Last edited:
Hi Friends! I'm interviewing here on the 1st. I checked hotels and they're all booked up for the night before, so I had some questions:

2- are people planning to go to the dinner the night before? Is anyone planning to skip it? People who have gone, would you say it's important to go? If i stay in Knox I may skip the dinner since driving an hour back and forth each day seems like a lot... but I don't want to miss anything important
1. I heard that one DCOM student with his family lived at Knoxville and commuted to Harrogate daily. For your interview day, better to have an hour and 30 minutes for the commute, just in case if there is a slow trailer in front of you.

2. I learn how DCOM current students love DCOM through their perspectives at the dinner party. It further confirmed my desire to attend DCOM.
The dinner party may end at around 9 pm (you can leave earlier). Then driving back to Knoxville, it will be around 10:30 pm. It is still doable.
But if you need more time to sleep and get ready, I think you can skip the dinner party since it takes time for the commute.

Hi Friends! I'm interviewing here on the 1st. I checked hotels and they're all booked up for the night before, so I had some questions:

I personally wouldn’t risk staying so far before a big interview. You just never know what can (and will) go wrong.

I enjoyed the dinner- it was real and raw answers about the school you won’t necessarily get somewhere else. I also got a few good interview tips from our hosts. It isn’t important but may help calm your nerves a bit if you’re able to make it.

If hotels are all booked up, you can try Airbnb. There could be some still available near campus.

I stayed in the middle of downtown Knox and made it to the interview with plenty of time. Just leave early and hangout in your car before the interview.

I didn’t do it but can tell you it’s not needed to do well in the course. Those who do it usually score a couple of points higher in mga than those who don’t (they did a study on it lol). 1 grand and a month of your life for maybe a couple mga points ? I’ll pass, but if you loveeeeeee anatomy then do it but keep in mind it will have no effect on the match process. Not sure if anyone who did it frequents sdn any more

Turning down my acceptance here. Best of luck to everyone!

I am attending Knoxville campus as well. So I will drive daily between Harrogate and Knoxville for the gross anatomy bootcamp.

Has anyone that received an emailing starting with this “Your application has been reviewed by the admissions committee, and it will be periodically compared to other applications for competitiveness“ received any updates for an interview? I got this email in December but still haven’t heard anything as yet.

Has anyone that received an emailing starting with this “Your application has been reviewed by the admissions committee, and it will be periodically compared to other applications for competitiveness“ received any updates for an interview? I got this email in December but still haven’t heard anything as yet.

I did...got that email end of Nov and II in Dec.

I got that email in October, II in November, interviewed and accepted in December, and just turned down my acceptance. Hope it helps one of you!

@futurebostondoc227, If you are going to stay in Knoxville, I would give yourself two hours to get to Harrogate. The weather this time of year is unpredictable, and there are mountainous/curvy roads in between Knoxville and Harrogate. I would highly recommend trying to find something in Harrogate/Middlesboro/Cumberland Gap. I also wanna say that folks on this forum have posted before about having a room available for folks coming up to interview, so maybe scroll back through and see if you can find that. I went to the dinner and found that it really calmed my nerves and gave me a much better understanding of the school and student culture. Would recommend!

Hello,
I have recently completed my application. How long until anyone heard for completion/interview/decline?

also accepted and interviewed on 1/18!

Reactions: 3 users