2018-2019 Louisiana State University School of Medicine (New Orleans)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I saw in an early post about RD decision applicants that the email order went Application Review-->Interview Invite-->Complete

I went under review Monday Aug 13th, got complete email today Aug 21st. But no interview invite..

Did I get skipped over? The language of the complete email makes it sound like my application will now be looked at for consideration rather than that being the final decision on my application
"This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete and under active consideration. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application."
Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I saw in an early post about RD decision applicants that the email order went Application Review-->Interview Invite-->Complete

I went under review Monday Aug 13th, got complete email today Aug 21st. But no interview invite..

Did I get skipped over? The language of the complete email makes it sound like my application will now be looked at for consideration rather than that being the final decision on my application
"This is to acknowledge that your application to LSU School of Medicine in New Orleans is now complete and under active consideration. You will be contacted by the Admissions Office when further action is taken on your application."
Any thoughts?
I wish I had the answer too. I went under review on 7/30, got the file complete email on 8/14, and still no invite. Really hoping I didn't get passed over. My stats seem to be competitive for an interview, at least based on last years applicants (4.0 with the 32-hour rule and 510 MCAT), but who knows...

This thread hasn't really picked up yet, and only a few people on here have gotten interviews.
Does anyone know when the adocm meets to discuss applicants?

I wish I had the answer too. I went under review on 7/30, got the file complete email on 8/14, and still no invite. Really hoping I didn't get passed over. My stats seem to be competitive for an interview, at least based on last years applicants (4.0 with the 32-hour rule and 510 MCAT), but who knows...

This thread hasn't really picked up yet, and only a few people on here have gotten interviews.
Does anyone know when the adocm meets to discuss applicants?
Did you do 32 hr rule thru Tulane SOM Masters program? BC same.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you do 32 hr rule thru Tulane SOM Masters program? BC same.
Sure did.

Also, I emailed admissions about the "file complete" email and general turn-around time once that email has been received. Paulette said it means that the adcom has your file for review, but she couldn't give me a time frame. So it sounds like we haven't been passed over, fingers crossed.

Reactions: 1 users
app review 8/20, file complete 8/22. It would make sense for it to be "complete" before they invite for interviews. Now... we wait! :) good luck everyone, so excited

I received an active consideration email today. Do they usually invite/reject within the month? I've seen some threads where people don't get interviews for months and then get one. I'm just trying to determine what kind of timeline I'm looking at. Thanks everyone!

I received an active consideration email today. Do they usually invite/reject within the month? I've seen some threads where people don't get interviews for months and then get one. I'm just trying to determine what kind of timeline I'm looking at. Thanks everyone!
+1 On wanting to know this

I know several people who were accepted to the 2018 class around March of this year and they applied around September. From what they told me, there are at least two periods when the committee meets to discuss a large amount of candidates: one in the fall and one in the spring, so stay positive!

I know several people who were accepted to the 2018 class around March of this year and they applied around September. From what they told me, there are at least two periods when the committee meets to discuss a large amount of candidates: one in the fall and one in the spring, so stay positive!

Do you think they mean they submitted their AMCAS in September? That just doesn’t make sense for it to take that long to me! Crazy.

I feel like March being 6 months away is a really long time. I would hope to hear something before then? Maybe they were put on hold and then accepted - that would make more sense.

Can anyone share the secondary pump? I applied there late so would like to pre-write it if I got a secondary. Thanks.

Can anyone share the secondary pump? I applied there late so would like to pre-write it if I got a secondary. Thanks.
There really aren't any essays. It's pretty much filling out a few forms. Nothing to stress over.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are we allowed to sign the applications electronically?
The email says to print sign then upload, but some of the parts asking to briefly state activities are lengthy. The entire statement isn't captured when I print...

I feel like March being 6 months away is a really long time. I would hope to hear something before then? Maybe they were put on hold and then accepted - that would make more sense.

Just some clarification from a current student - after your interview, you're either accepted, rejected, or NFA'd (no further action). Supposedly most people get NFA'd. The admissions committee meets once a month. You'll get discussed the month you interview, and if you're NFA'd, you can potentially get discussed at any meeting after that. There's two big meetings (the major one in March) to discuss NFA'd people. That's when a bunch of people are accepted and how they make their wait list.

Just some clarification from a current student - after your interview, you're either accepted, rejected, or NFA'd (no further action). Supposedly most people get NFA'd. The admissions committee meets once a month. You'll get discussed the month you interview, and if you're NFA'd, you can potentially get discussed at any meeting after that. There's two big meetings (the major one in March) to discuss NFA'd people. That's when a bunch of people are accepted and how they make their wait list.

Hey! thanks for the info. What typically warrents a student to get NFA'd? What are some qualities that are typical of the students immediately accepted?

Hey! thanks for the info. What typically warrents a student to get NFA'd? What are some qualities that are typical of the students immediately accepted?

I can't tell you too much since I'm not on the admissions side of it, but Dr. Eubanks told us when I interviewed that most people get NFA'd. I wasn't, and from what I could tell between myself and my friends who were not NFA'd, we all had a 3.9 or higher and had above 508 on the MCAT. We were also all IS, which definitely helped us. I'm not sure if they're looking for anything specific when they immediately accept anyone, but if you do get NFA'd, don't worry. A lot of people get accepted that way.

I can't tell you too much since I'm not on the admissions side of it, but Dr. Eubanks told us when I interviewed that most people get NFA'd. I wasn't, and from what I could tell between myself and my friends who were not NFA'd, we all had a 3.9 or higher and had above 508 on the MCAT. We were also all IS, which definitely helped us. I'm not sure if they're looking for anything specific when they immediately accept anyone, but if you do get NFA'd, don't worry. A lot of people get accepted that way.

Trying to figure out where I stand because I met with Eubanks in June for a counseling interview and he said I was a competitive applicant based on my scores and GPA, but I'm definitely not that competitive o_O hahah!

Does anyone know how LSU New Orleans views nontraditional applicants? Military members (LA National Guard), older students, etc. I have good references but have average stats. 32, current military.

Does anyone know how LSU New Orleans views nontraditional applicants? Military members (LA National Guard), older students, etc. I have good references but have average stats. 32, current military.
Hey! First of all thank you for your service. One really nice thing LSU does for non-traditional applicants is they will look at 32 hours of graduate coursework or post-bacc work and use that GPA when considering your application.

So if you weren't intent on pursuing medicine and made some mistakes early on they can often be over looked if you have that "Ah-ha I want to be a doctor" moment and make meaningful change to make it happen.

In regards to military members and older students, a former classmate was a helicopter pilot in the military and was accepted in his mid 30's and when talking about his interview it seemed like they really were interested in that aspect of his application....You got this!!

Hey! First of all thank you for your service. One really nice thing LSU does for non-traditional applicants is they will look at 32 hours of graduate coursework or post-bacc work and use that GPA when considering your application.

So if you weren't intent on pursuing medicine and made some mistakes early on they can often be over looked if you have that "Ah-ha I want to be a doctor" moment and make meaningful change to make it happen.

In regards to military members and older students, a former classmate was a helicopter pilot in the military and was accepted in his mid 30's and when talking about his interview it seemed like they really were interested in that aspect of his application....You got this!!
Thank you!!! In my scenario - I went back for my undergraduate in 2014. However, I had done some community college work prior to that (back in 2007), do you think they will still apply the 32-hours to me? I have an excellent GPA since 2014. My last 32 hours are almost 4.0. I hope they do!

Trying to figure out where I stand because I met with Eubanks in June for a counseling interview and he said I was a competitive applicant based on my scores and GPA, but I'm definitely not that competitive o_O hahah!

Like I said, I'm basing those numbers solely off of my friends (a very small percentage of the people who get accepted). If Dr. Eubanks thinks you're competitive, that's a good thing. Just don't sweat it if you get an interview and then get NFA'd. Based on what Dr. Eubanks has said, more people get in that way, anyway. :)

Take this with a grain of salt since I am not in the military, I am a traditional student, and I did not use the 32 hour rule, but I can't see it weighing very negatively on you. I can't imagine that any work experience - especially in the military - could look bad for a person. Based on the number of non-traditional students I know (from a variety of ages that include older than you and with very different backgrounds), that shouldn't be an issue, either. The fact that you have good references is a MAJOR plus. I apparently had a stellar letter of recommendation, which 2/3 of my interviewers commented on, and I'm certain that it made a big difference for me. As for the 32 hour rule, I remember one of the L3s once mentioned to me that they didn't utilize it via a masters program, but LSU still only looked at their last 32 hours. With the time gap between when you first went to school and when you finished, I'd be surprise if they didn't at least look at your stats with the 32 hour rule in mind. I hope this helped a little!

Like I said, I'm basing those numbers solely off of my friends (a very small percentage of the people who get accepted). If Dr. Eubanks thinks you're competitive, that's a good thing. Just don't sweat it if you get an interview and then get NFA'd. Based on what Dr. Eubanks has said, more people get in that way, anyway. :)

Take this with a grain of salt since I am not in the military, I am a traditional student, and I did not use the 32 hour rule, but I can't see it weighing very negatively on you. I can't imagine that any work experience - especially in the military - could look bad for a person. Based on the number of non-traditional students I know (from a variety of ages that include older than you and with very different backgrounds), that shouldn't be an issue, either. The fact that you have good references is a MAJOR plus. I apparently had a stellar letter of recommendation, which 2/3 of my interviewers commented on, and I'm certain that it made a big difference for me. As for the 32 hour rule, I remember one of the L3s once mentioned to me that they didn't utilize it via a masters program, but LSU still only looked at their last 32 hours. With the time gap between when you first went to school and when you finished, I'd be surprise if they didn't at least look at your stats with the 32 hour rule in mind. I hope this helped a little!

Non trad IS here chiming in, applying next cycle. I'm finishing my prereqs and will benefit from the 32 hour rule. I have inquired in the past with the admissions office, and they indeed include your science and math courses regardless of being in a masters. I am doing an informal post-bac, not an SMP, and the credit hours that aren't retakes will be considered in the recalculation. Luckily my new (non retakes) all add up to 33 hours.

Also, to echo others, I have heard over and over that this school is non-traditional friendly and backs it up by its actions (like the 32 hour rule) rather than just saying it. Be sure to use your previous career as a main part of the narrative in "why medicine."

Does anyone know when they are going to start sending interview invites? Seems pretty quiet on that front.

Does anyone know when they are going to start sending interview invites? Seems pretty quiet on that front.

They definitely already sent out some. @igetbuckets already has an interview scheduled. Interviews don't start for another week and a half, though, and the earliest interviews are mostly for early decision people. Also, in my experience, they didn't schedule the interviews super far out.

They definitely already sent out some. @igetbuckets already has an interview scheduled. Interviews don't start for another week and a half, though, and the earliest interviews are mostly for early decision people. Also, in my experience, they didn't schedule the interviews super far out.

So far, I've only seen one person with a regular decision II, at least on SDN. Did you apply last year?

First off, thanks for taking time to help us out. I feel like one of the most stressful parts about applying is not knowing how the admissions team handles things so you've been a big help.

Also, I was wondering if you knew how often they sent out IIs? I know you said the admissions team meets once a month, but is that just for discussing already interviewed individuals?

First off, thanks for taking time to help us out. I feel like one of the most stressful parts about applying is not knowing how the admissions team handles things so you've been a big help.

Also, I was wondering if you knew how often they sent out IIs? I know you said the admissions team meets once a month, but is that just for discussing already interviewed individuals?
During the application cycle, the committee generally meets around the third Friday of every month. In these monthly meetings, they discuss applicants that have interviewed since the last meeting and also bring up any NFA applicants they want to discuss. Interviews are given out all the way until the beginning of April and interviews take place every MTW until about the third week of April.

The difference between the monthly meetings and the two big advocacy meetings is that EVERY single person who has interviewed until that point is guaranteed to be discussed; they’re usually brought up by their given advocate (one of your three interviewers) during the meeting. This is why many people get accepted shortly after March 15th (the deadline for Med schools to offer acceptances to fill their incoming class); the first advocacy meeting takes place prior to this date. However, many people will drop their spots at the April 30th/May 1st hold deadline (when students must choose one school to hold an acceptance for). The second advocacy meeting takes place shortly after this date, which again leads to more acceptances being handed out around May 10th ish.

I felt like I didn't know what I was doing when I applied, and I also felt like procrastinating with studying this week, so it made sense to fill in some gaps on here.

igetbuckets was totally right about the meetings. I'm not 100% if II are at all linked to the meetings, but I wouldn't think so since the meetings are primarily to discuss what to do with people who have been interviewed and because my II came at the beginning of January (during Christmas break - way too late to have been from the December meeting and way too early to be from the January meeting). I know that the interview groups tend to be 6-8 people, and there are three interview days a week every working week through March or April, so there's probably a pretty steady stream of invites and definitely plenty of time before you should worry about not getting an II. :)

Verified August 8/27, received an email indicating that I'm not a competitive applicant so no secondary (OOS). Although I'm a little sad since LSU is one of my top choices, I really do appreciate schools that do this because saves time and money.

II today. Marked complete 8/23. Submitted secondary 7/30. Secondary received 7/18. Out of state but undergrad in-state.

OOS II today! Submitted secondary first week of July.
Lizzy M = 72 , also MD/MPH

I don't think we've been passed over. It looks like they invited the combined MD/MPH folks today, but I am speculating of course.

I don't think we've been passed over. It looks like they invited the combined MD/MPH folks today, but I am speculating of course.

Yeah I’m hesitant to think that we’ve been skipped. We all have different adcoms (right?) and it seems to be OOS/ combined programs. Of course there’s always those thoughts in my head that I’m too mediocre right now compared to everyone else lol! BUT there’s always tomorrow. I tend not to answer my phone for unknown #’s though so I want to know how they communicate.

Yeah I’m hesitant to think that we’ve been skipped. We all have different adcoms (right?) and it seems to be OOS/ combined programs. Of course there’s always those thoughts in my head that I’m too mediocre right now compared to everyone else lol! BUT there’s always tomorrow. I tend not to answer my phone for unknown #’s though so I want to know how they communicate.
Ya'll are probably right! How long have you been under active consideration?

I felt like I didn't know what I was doing when I applied, and I also felt like procrastinating with studying this week, so it made sense to fill in some gaps on here...

Do you know what the typical turn around time is after getting the “File complete and under active consideration” is?
I received that email on 8/14, which I know is only 2 weeks ago... but seems like an eternity.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile