2018-2019 Louisiana State University School of Medicine (New Orleans)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted today!! Bless!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Any IIs lately? My file was complete 9/10

Any II going out?
Do they seem to be going out on a certain day?

What do they mean when they say you can call on Thursdays to check on the status of your application? Like what sort of information do they actually tell you?

Reactions: 1 user
What do they mean when they say you can call on Thursdays to check on the status of your application? Like what sort of information do they actually tell you?

I called and she just asked me what was the last update I had gotten per email, which was I was under active consideration. Then she told me it was just a waiting game now.... so pretty much calling is a waste of time.

Members don't see this ad :)
Current L1 here. If anyone has questions, feel free to inbox me and I would be glad to help. More familiar with the app process and admissions dept here than I care to admit lol.

Current L1 here. If anyone has questions, feel free to inbox me and I would be glad to help. More familiar with the app process and admissions dept here than I care to admit lol.
Tried to message you, but it won’t let me :) can you start a convo on the messages?

Does anyone know anything about their scholarships? Maybe min. stats required to be considered for merit, and when they send that info out?

Does anyone know anything about their scholarships? Maybe min. stats required to be considered for merit, and when they send that info out?

They give a handful(I want to say 6) of people in each class a $3k scholarship that goes towards tuition only and maybe one person per class gets a full ride although I’m not sure if that’s a guarantee or not. Not sure exactly how they determine merit for these scholarships.

They give a handful(I want to say 6) of people in each class a $3k scholarship that goes towards tuition only and maybe one person per class gets a full ride although I’m not sure if that’s a guarantee or not. Not sure exactly how they determine merit for these scholarships.

Dr Eubanks said everyone accepted is considered, so I'm not sure either how they pick. Maybe it's holistic.

I know there are hardship waivers that waive part of your tuition. Mine was only 3k or so, but it all helps. Eubanks emphasized to get your FAFSA in early for qualifying for those.

Side note: LSU financial aid takes forever to send stuff out. Most of us didnt hear from them till within 2mo of classes starting. So dont expect anything quick.

Dr Eubanks said everyone accepted is considered, so I'm not sure either how they pick. Maybe it's holistic.

I got the $3k one two weeks before class started and know of two others who got them in December last year. My stats were above the avg for our class but not by a whole lot. The others who got them earlier than me had really high stats. I know one person who got a full ride a few years ago with a 4.0/513 and a very, very impressive research resume. That’s the extent of my knowledge though.

Youre welcome to throw anything at me on the thread as well

So I moved to LA last year for school and decided to stay for the year after I graduated. I will be a full IS resident by the time of matriculation ,however, the admissions office wouldn't accept my initial application as IS because I had not yet "forsaken previous residencies".

I was recently accepted as OOS but I am really hoping I can qualify as IS for tuition purposes. Is that possible or am I relegated to paying OOS tuition?

Thanks

You can appeal if I remember but the definition/requirement is pretty clear cut: https://sites01.lsu.edu/wp/admissions/files/2013/04/PM-31.pdf

I successfully changed over during my gap year by registering to vote, changing my driver's license and car registration, and getting a job in the state, and paying taxes. I think someone in my class got hosed because they didn't change their car's registration in time, even though they had lived here for over a year before matriculation.

So I moved to LA last year for school and decided to stay for the year after I graduated. I will be a full IS resident by the time of matriculation ,however, the admissions office wouldn't accept my initial application as IS because I had not yet "forsaken previous residencies".

I was recently accepted as OOS but I am really hoping I can qualify as IS for tuition purposes. Is that possible or am I relegated to paying OOS tuition?

Thanks

Oh wow. I haven't a clue to be honest. I hope you are able to get in state status with the school!

Thanks
how did you know you were accepted as an OOS? Was it indicated in your acceptance letter?

Does anyone know how they send out interview invites? Is it in chronological order?? how much they want you/how good your app is?? app by app or in waves?

Also does anyone know how far in advance they are scheduling interviews? Do they usually wait to send out the invites when they have availability that's coming up within like the next 2 weeks or so?

Thanks in advance :)

Does anyone know how they send out interview invites? Is it in chronological order?? how much they want you/how good your app is?? app by app or in waves?

Also does anyone know how far in advance they are scheduling interviews? Do they usually wait to send out the invites when they have availability that's coming up within like the next 2 weeks or so?

I can't comment on timelines (I simply don't know), but they do post 3wks worth of interviewees at a time on a bulletin board.

@Shwin36 I think if you can get a LA DL, voter registration, and pay 2018 taxes in LA, you should be able to make a compelling argument that you're IS. Maybe file your taxes early so you don't have to wait til April to check that box.

PS I think we went to school together last year. Glad to see you got accepted as well!

Eubanks and mcluggage get together in mid August to go through primary apps to make a list of people they want to invite for interviews and then stratify those people by when they want to interview them. I’m not exactly sure how they decide the when part but I know part of it has to do with their interest in the applicant. The invites then go out in chunks every three-four weeks.
I assume they do this again at some point near the primary app deadline for people who send their primaries in late.

I decided to cave and make an account. This is my top-choice school. I am an instate applicant from LSU. I had very good grades but not the best MCAT. Therefore, it will take some luck and a good interview for me to get in, but I hope I can share good news with you all. I do have some family ties to the university, so if I am fortunate that may give me a small boost in the process. I am still in the active consideration phase and have been for several weeks, so I am starting to get a little worried. My other friends were already getting their acceptances last year at this time.

I decided to cave and make an account. This is my top-choice school. I am an instate applicant from LSU. I had very good grades but not the best MCAT. Therefore, it will take some luck and a good interview for me to get in, but I hope I can share good news with you all. I do have some family ties to the university, so if I am fortunate that may give me a small boost in the process. I am still in the active consideration phase and have been for several weeks, so I am starting to get a little worried. My other friends were already getting their acceptances last year at this time.
Good luck! Same situation here with LSU being my top choice, in state, lower mcat! We got this and I hope things workout. Been under active consideration for 2 months as of yesterday. I hate waiting!

Don't worry yet. If you're IS there's a really good chance you'll get an interview.

As to your MCAT, make sure you also apply to LSU Shreveport. Their median MCAT is 504.

Does anyone know when the last available interview date is right now? just trying to get a sense of when the next round of interviews are going to be sent out :(

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone know when the last available interview date is right now? just trying to get a sense of when the next round of interviews are going to be sent out :(

How often do they send out interview invites? Randomly or in waves? :/

Looking at the previous years thread it looks like in waves, but people who have high stats can get interviews directly after screening/review. Obviously, this is purely speculation. Is there anyone who can definitively answer this question?

I can't definitively answer, but anecdotally, I am not a high LM score applicant and I got an interview pretty quickly after screening/review. I am IS, though, so that does make a difference I'm sure. OOS peeps may have a longer time to wait, even if they are high stat applicants.

OOS. Wondering if anyone knows whether we can pay in state tuition after the first year if we establish LA residency...?

OOS. Wondering if anyone knows whether we can pay in state tuition after the first year if we establish LA residency...?

The tuition page on LSU's website says nonresidents are on the hook for OOS tuition for the duration of enrollment.

During my interview last tuesday the said they would send out this months decisions today...any news from anyone?

The meeting was on Friday, I'm fairly certain. Are they mailing today, or did they mail earlier this week so that the decisions arrive today? I'm a ball of nerves waiting for this darn letter.

The meeting was on Friday, I'm fairly certain. Are they mailing today, or did they mail earlier this week so that the decisions arrive today? I'm a ball of nerves waiting for this darn letter.

Made an account just for this thread. I had my interview on 10/17, and you’re right Dr. Eubanks said that their next meeting would have been last Friday. I’ve been constantly checking my email and waiting for a phone call. Also checked my mailbox but there was nothing today. I guess he meant they sent it out today.

Made an account just for this thread. I had my interview on 10/17, and you’re right Dr. Eubanks said that their next meeting would have been last Friday. I’ve been constantly checking my email and waiting for a phone call. Also checked my mailbox but there was nothing today. I guess he meant they sent it out today.

The letters take awhile! Also, they might not mail to your AMCAS address. They sent mine to my parents because I’m out of state technically but I live in state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there anything an out of state applicant can do to increase their chances of acceptance? I discussed my connections to the area in my application but was curious if there was anything in particular that might help.

Thanks!

The letters take awhile! Also, they might not mail to your AMCAS address. They sent mine to my parents because I’m out of state technically but I live in state.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I figured unfortunately that they might :(

Were you notified any other way?

Got my acceptance letter yesterday! I live out of state right now but it went to my parents' house in Baton Rouge, so I'm assuming they were mailed out this Tuesday. I'm still in shock y'all! I graduated college with less than a 3.0, pulled my life together, kicked my own tail in grad school and on the MCAT, and now it's all paid off. God bless this school's 32-credit policy. Can't wait to join the Tiger fam in Nola!

Best of luck to everyone, I wanted to give up so many times over the last few years but I'm so happy I didn't, so if you're feeling the same, just hang in there!

Reactions: 10 users
Got my acceptance letter yesterday! I live out of state right now but it went to my parents' house in Baton Rouge, so I'm assuming they were mailed out this Tuesday. I'm still in shock y'all! I graduated college with less than a 3.0, pulled my life together, kicked my own tail in grad school and on the MCAT, and now it's all paid off. God bless this school's 32-credit policy. Can't wait to join the Tiger fam in Nola!

Best of luck to everyone, I wanted to give up so many times over the last few years but I'm so happy I didn't, so if you're feeling the same, just hang in there!

Congrats! I love hearing stories of how people turned their life around. For some people, they are critical learning experiences.

I am still waiting. From what I can tell, I was under review since mid September and I have heard nothing so far since. Living in limbo isn't fun, but I sincerely hope I get to join you all. You're all class.

Reactions: 2 users

Same tho. I never would have even thought I had a shot applying to medical school if it weren't for LSU's 32hr policy.

Reactions: 2 users

Now that’s what I call a geaux tigers.

Congratulations that’s wonderful to see a huge turn around like that.

I was one of the less fortunate one’s and got a NFA today, at least I’m still in the running!