2018-2019 Louisiana State University School of Medicine (New Orleans)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congratulations that’s wonderful to see a huge turn around like that.

I was one of the less fortunate one’s and got a NFA today, at least I’m still in the running!

Sorry to hear about your NFA, but remember Dr Eubanks said there would be a lot of those, especially this early in the cycle. You'll be alright!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Sorry to hear about your NFA, but remember Dr Eubanks said there would be a lot of those, especially this early in the cycle. You'll be alright!
Thanks, I have faith in the process. I know he said they accept people through June, I just hope I won’t have to wait that long haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted OOS! Definitely did not expect it but am enjoying every minute of it!

Reactions: 6 users
Anyone know if we're supposed to take any documents with us to the interview? Like a resume or something? In the interview directions email, there was nothing of the sort, but just making sure here.

Anyone know if we're supposed to take any documents with us to the interview? Like a resume or something? In the interview directions email, there was nothing of the sort, but just making sure here.

I brought all my app materials in case, but it wasn't needed at all. They even give you a notepad to take notes, so don't bother bringing that.

Congrats! Anything in particular you felt helped you through the process?
So when people say "be yourself" its true. Just make sure to emphasize the parts about yourself that the adcom/interviewers are interested in.

Reactions: 1 user
Recieved an interview invite today!

Congrats! I was nervous, as this was my first (and most important) interview, but it was great and I enjoyed the whole day and everyone I interacted with.

Accepted a few days back!! Got my letter in NOLA on Thursday from the applicant review that happened the prior Friday!

Reactions: 2 users
Recieved an interview invite today!
Hi and congrats! When we’re you complete? Don’t want to ask your stats buttttttt would you say you’re average, above, below? Lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi and congrats! When we’re you complete? Don’t want to ask your stats buttttttt would you say you’re average, above, below? Lol

IS applicant, complete first week of September. Actually interviewed late last year and improved mcat score this go around. I guess I’m fairly average in terms of stats like gpa/mcat but I’m hoping my improvements since last cycle can land me a spot!

IS applicant, complete first week of September. Actually interviewed late last year and improved mcat score this go around. I guess I’m fairly average in terms of stats like gpa/mcat but I’m hoping my improvements since last cycle can land me a spot!
Nice! I’m sort of in the same situation...so hoping for an II very soon. Were the dates they offered you relatively soon or far out? Thanks for answering all of my questions :)

Nice! I’m sort of in the same situation...so hoping for an II very soon. Were the dates they offered you relatively soon or far out? Thanks for answering all of my questions :)
I also got an invite Wednesday, and I think there were 6 dates to choose from. 3 in December and 3 in January if I remember correctly.

I also got an invite Wednesday, and I think there were 6 dates to choose from. 3 in December and 3 in January if I remember correctly.
Congrats!!!! Are you in state as well?
I feel like they’re slooooowwwly making their way into midst of the applicant pool

Has anyone else yet to hear anything? I'm remaining optimistic, I'm just curious if there are a lot of others in my position this far into the cycle.

Has anyone else yet to hear anything? I'm remaining optimistic, I'm just curious if there are a lot of others in my position this far into the cycle.

I'm still with you. I have not heard anything yet. I thought I would've heard something by now, but let's assume no news is good news so far!

Been ghosted since late August! I’m starting I get worried since a lot of my friends that are current students interviewed at this time, but they keep saying to remain optimistic. I just wonder when they’re gonna make it to the avaerage af people like myself.

Reactions: 3 users
Been ghosted since late August! I’m starting I get worried since a lot of my friends that are current students interviewed at this time, but they keep saying to remain optimistic. I just wonder when they’re gonna make it to the avaerage af people like myself.
I submitted in July and have been under active consideration since September without an II. It sucks waiting, but there are plenty more IIs to go around. I know plenty of people who didn’t interview until spring last cycle and still got accepted. Let’s all just hang in there!

I submitted in July and have been under active consideration since September without an II. It sucks waiting, but there are plenty more IIs to go around. I know plenty of people who didn’t interview until spring last cycle and still got accepted. Let’s all just hang in there!
Don't worry, I'm remaining optimistic! I just wanted to take the chance to reach out to people like us so we don't all feel down. Seeing all the II's and acceptance posts can be discouraging, but it's important to keep our heads up :)

Don't forget the interview groups are very small. I think I only had like 6 or 7 folks in mine... Might be why II's seem slow to come?

Don't forget the interview groups are very small. I think I only had like 6 or 7 folks in mine... Might be why II's seem slow to come?

That's standard interview group size, and interviews are only 3 days of the week. It's not early in the cycle, but it's certainly not too late. I didn't have an II this time 2 years ago.

That's standard interview group size, and interviews are only 3 days of the week. It's not early in the cycle, but it's certainly not too late. I didn't have an II this time 2 years ago.
Oh ok. I haven't been on any of my other interviews yet.

Anyone know if active consideration and active review are the same thing? I just called for an update and that’s what I was told.

Still waiting on an interview from here. IS, LM around 71

Accepted! Very excited as this is my first offer to join the big leagues

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Has anyone heard of an NFA applicant being accepted before the February deadline?

Congratulations! I’m very happy for you. Did you just find out today?
Thank you! I was out of town for Thanksgiving so had letter in mailbox when I got home, but it looks like they sent it out November 20th

Thank you! I was out of town for Thanksgiving so had letter in mailbox when I got home, but it looks like they sent it out November 20th
Okay thank you that’s good to know, that’s an awesome way to return home! Can I ask are you IS or OOS?

Last edited:
Has anyone heard of an NFA applicant being accepted before the February deadline?

I’m also interested if anybody knows this. I got my NFA letter back in October. I think I read in last year’s thread that one of your interviewers is an advocate for you that’s supposed to bring you up in future meetings, although it’s seeming like I’ll be waiting until February.

Sorry, what does NFA stand for? Is that a waitlist?

NFA is no final action which is essentially a waitlist. This means that they haven’t reached a conclusion on your file and will re-evaluate you at a future point in time. They obviously haven’t filled up all their spots yet, so fingers crossed that word is sent soon!

Is it safe to assume not much is going to happen around the Thanksgiving - Christmas time frame? Still waiting to hear anything, but congrats to all who got accepted already.

ACCEPTED OOS interviewed 11/12/18; Letter also postmarked 11/20/18

Not that I saw. I'm guessing they will probably make one, but if not, we should make one with good memes <3

If I remember right, the L1 class officers should have made one or will make one, and you'll be sent the link (although for the life of me, I cannot remember how they sent the link).

If I remember right, the L1 class officers should have made one or will make one, and you'll be sent the link (although for the life of me, I cannot remember how they sent the link).

Yeah most likely they get the student's emails from the admissions/affairs office and then send those emails out after they have enough accepted offers.

Congrats to all those acceptances! I was looking into a few more schools to send in apps before the deadlines are up and I really like LSU. I'm out of state without any ties to Louisiana, although I do live in a nearby state. Anyone know when their interview season ends?

They interview into April (even though your chances of getting in with an April interview are very slim).

Any current LSU students following this thread know where I can get info on what you're supposed to do with your summer between M1 and M2 year? Are we expected to do research or are we free to go travel or get a job?

Any current LSU students following this thread know where I can get info on what you're supposed to do with your summer between M1 and M2 year? Are we expected to do research or are we free to go travel or get a job?

You can do whatever you want. Dr. Gregory has a research program that provides a stipend for research, but only so many people get accepted in that. You can also do research without a stipend. You can do AHEC, is a 4 week program with a $300/week stipend where you essentially shadow a primary care physician. You can also just travel or chill or work or whatever. There's no standard for what to do. (I would recommend doing something fun with your time, though.)

Can we do research in the summer before the start of our M1 year?

Can we do research in the summer before the start of our M1 year?

I'm not sure because I didn't want to, but you could email Dr. Paula Gregory about it. You might need to email her several times before you get an answer, but just keep emailing her. She's very nice but very busy and scatter-brained. Even if you can't, she can set you up with research when you start.