2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To those accepted (especially Early October and September) did you submit updates?
Nope did not submit an update.

Members don't see this ad.

I got accepted a few weeks ago and am really considering coming to Loyola. For current students, I was wondering if Loyola was pass/fail for the first two years or whether it is on a grading system. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users
It’s Pass/Fail. Explained it on the tour for us. Then clinicals are High Pass/Pass/Fail

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviewed 9/27, checked portal yesterday and saw the continued consideration status update, didn’t receive an email

II

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just declined my II here- hope it goes to one of ya'll!

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For those who have been accepted after an interview please share any tips about logistics (getting to and from school, housing), and any loyola interview tips :)

Any med students willing to answer a few questions about the program, school, student life.. please send me a private message. Much appreciated!

Reactions: 1 user
Can you speak a little more about your interview day, the community vibes etc. what made it seem more welcoming ?

Interview day was very well organized. Every one was so nice, especially the students. Also they were focused on making you feel less nervous. Then my interviewers were laid back and had thoroughly read my app so they had specific questions for me

Current student, willing to answer questions about Stritch!

Has anyone seen an acceptance on portal and then later got the call?

Hi everyone! Does anyone know when they are going to stop sending II out? I haven’t heard anything from them since July and my portal doesn’t have any updates.

Reactions: 3 users
Interview date: 8/30, continued consideration

Hi quick question. When you send an update through the portal, is the admissions committee notified or do they just see the update the next time they look at my application?

Can any current med students please expand on what the current curriculum looks like.. I looked it up on their website but I don’t see any clinicals as part of 1st and 2nd tears. Thanks! :)

For anyone going for an interview, I've been to 3 so far and Loyola was by far my best experience. Really friendly atmosphere, and my interviewers were professional and had read my application thoroughly. I recommend that you try your best to relax, smile a lot, be enthusiastic, and know your application. Be prepared to talk about healthcare, your hobbies, and answer generic questions (ie. why medicine, why Loyola, your strengths/weaknesses). I also sent thank you notes and an update.

I was accepted last month and am really excited. I have 3 more interviews left, but tbh I'll probably choose to go to Loyola.
Just one concern, I read/heard a little about Maywood and saw that it's not the best area to live in. Can any current med student talk about their experience? Do you feel safe? And if this isn't too personal, around what do students pay for rent?

Last edited:
For anyone going for an interview, I've been to 3 so far and Loyola was by far my best experience. Really friendly atmosphere, and my interviewers were professional and had read my application thoroughly. I recommend that you try your best to relax, smile a lot, be enthusiastic, and know your application. Be prepared to talk about healthcare, your hobbies, and answer generic questions (ie. why medicine, why Loyola, your strengths/weaknesses). I also sent thank you notes and an update.

I was accepted last month and am really excited. I have 3 more interviews left, but tbh I'll probably choose to go to Loyola.
Just one concern, I read/heard a little about Maywood and saw that it's not the best area to live in. Can any current med student talk about their experience? Do you feel safe? And if this isn't too personal, around what do students pay for rent?

Did you see an acceptance update on your portal before your call by any chance?

Congrats!! I interviewed here a couple of weeks ago and definitely agree that it was my best experience! I am hoping for good news soon. The two words I would use to describe the Loyola student body as a whole are kind and accepting! :)
I actually stayed with a student host in Maywood and was pleasantly surprised. Some students live close to the school in Maywood with pretty affordable rent. I stayed in a house with multiple units that was all Loyola medical students. Other students live in Oak Park or surrounding neighborhoods. I liked that some students live near the school their first two years and move closer to downtown for the last two years. Congrats again and good luck on your next couple of interviews.

Received an acceptance call from Stritch today. Interviewed late September and submitted an update mid-November.

Good luck to everyone else! For those of you who interviewed earlier and have not heard back, don't lose hope and submit an update!

Reactions: 4 users
Received an acceptance call tonight at like 8pm EST! I interviewed October 30th! Good luck ya'll. :)

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed mid October. Submitted an update recently. Best of luck to everyone!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does this mean I'm waitlisted? Haven't checked the portal since the interview a while back and it just seems like it.

upload_2018-11-28_11-27-30.png

Does this mean I'm waitlisted? Haven't checked the portal since the interview a while back and it just seems like it.

View attachment 242874

Not necessarily a waitlist at all, more like a hold. They will consider you during their admission committee meetings (I believe these are on Mondays twice each month). I'm not sure how often people on hold will be considered, but rest assured that they will be throughout the cycle. Also, last year, if you look at the Stritch thread, you'll see that people interviewed early, were placed on continued consideration later in the cycle, and then eventually were accepted a couple weeks to a couple of months later. You should definitely submit an update -- it was emphasized at the end of my faculty interview and is emphasized in the message on your portal too. It shows that you are interested in their program, and they seem to be receptive to that. Best of luck!

Not necessarily a waitlist at all, more like a hold. They will consider you during their admission committee meetings (I believe these are on Mondays twice each month). I'm not sure how often people on hold will be considered, but rest assured that they will be throughout the cycle. Also, last year, if you look at the Stritch thread, you'll see that people interviewed early, were placed on continued consideration later in the cycle, and then eventually were accepted a couple weeks to a couple of months later. You should definitely submit an update -- it was emphasized at the end of my faculty interview and is emphasized in the message on your portal too. It shows that you are interested in their program, and they seem to be receptive to that. Best of luck!

Thanks, yo. I'm finishing a masters next month so I'll send an update around then

I am also in the class that lost 2 students. The student who died by suicide was one of my closest friends and I can tell you that he had extensive support from the school. As devastating as his loss was, I have absolutely nothing bad to say about the way Loyola treated him either before or after his death.

To DocAroundTheClock, this is Jacq. Feel free to come speak with me if you would like to better understand the administration's treatment of our friend's illness and death.

Did they say anything about STEP preparation, pass rate, average step score and residency match list? Does anyone have insight ? Can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

Also did they explain why classes start in July lol ? Do students have a longer M1 summer ?

Did they say anything about STEP preparation, pass rate, average step score and residency match list? Does anyone have insight ? Can’t seem to find this info anywhere.

Yeah, I have the same questions - could a current student let us know if it is possible to view their match list?

Did they present any step info during the interview ?

Honestly none. I asked my student interviewer about STEP info at the end of my interview, but he also didn't give me too much info either. I'll probably contact the admissions office soon to ask for a match list and some more info about the STEP and post here soon if a current student doesn't post.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah, I have the same questions - could a current student let us know if it is possible to view their match list?

Not a current student, but this is the closest thing to a match list that I could find

Attachments

• SSOM18-04 Stritch Spring appeal match day fact sheet-r2.pdf
    688.7 KB · Views: 160
Not a current student, but this is the closest thing to a match list that I could find

Thank you for sharing! It would be nice to know what percentage of the class matches and into which program locations. The number is very close to 165 so it could be that very close to 100% matched

I interviewed a few weeks ago and I feel like I won't hear back for a while because of the holidays. Does anyone know how long it took last year around this time to hear back?

Did anyone see acceptance on their portal before getting the call?

Accepted yesterday! Interviewed at the end of October

SO EXCITED!!!

Interviewing Mid Dec. Complete mid July
Got the email yesterday :)

Reactions: 10 users
Just got put on continued consideration after sending an update earlier this week. Interviewed late September.