2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Disclaimer: n=1

My interview was indeed very relaxed. The conversation was informed by my application, but it had the feeling more of a personal conversation about my passions, ideals, dreams, etc. He steered a lot of questions toward my "story"--how I've grown, changed, adapted, blah blah. I got one or two pre-arranged questions, but they were fun ones.

The only ethical-style questions I got were those that came up organically throughout the course of the conversation (e.g. if I mentioned I was driven toward medicine mostly by idealism, he'd ask something like "how does a physician keep from losing her idealistic spirit throughout her career?"--that sort of thing). There weren't any canned "What would you do in X situation" kind of questions.

100% I came away with the feeling that when they say they're looking for "fit", they really mean it. The theme of the conversation was essentially, "how has your life prepared you to serve others." It was a really positive experience for me--I hope the same for you!

Thank you! That makes me feel a lot better.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Still waiting to hear back from my own interview date. There are two schools who want me to make a deposit to secure my seat in the next week. I have sent in an update, but should I give admissions a call to check my status?

Anyone know what I should do in this situation? (I am planning on making a deposit thus far)

Last edited:
Still waiting to hear back from my own interview date. There are two schools who want me to make a deposit to secure my seat in the next week. I have sent in an update, but should I give admissions a call to check my status?

Anyone know what I should do in this situation? (I am planning on making a deposit thus far)
You shouldn't have to unless their DO schools....

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed early November and I think Director Nabers mentioned that tomorrow is our decision dates. Anyone else remember exactly?

I interviewed early November and I think Director Nabers mentioned that tomorrow is our decision dates. Anyone else remember exactly?

Did you check your portal? I also interviewed early November and I checked my portal, which said I was on continued consideration.

Right. They are DO schools.
I submitted my deposit for a DO school even though I will still be interviewing at other schools in January. Unfortunately, I don't know if other schools would be able to expedite a decision due to an upcoming deposit deadline; however, I definitely feel what you're going through. It took an arm and a leg to pay that deposit ($2000!) and mine was nonrefundable. All I know is that I would gladly go to school that I paid the deposit at, especially if I do not receive any other acceptances. Ultimately, I think that's what it came down to for me. I want to become a doctor THIS bad--$2000 worth.

Reactions: 1 users
Did you check your portal? I also interviewed early November and I checked my portal, which said I was on continued consideration.

Mine has been the same since the update link has been available. It says something along the lines of "Your interview is complete. Thank you for your interest in our program." Not sure if this means I'm getting the R or not lol. Continued consideration seems to make it sound like your file is still active.

I submitted my deposit for a DO school even though I will still be interviewing at other schools in January. Unfortunately, I don't know if other schools would be able to expedite a decision due to an upcoming deposit deadline; however, I definitely feel what you're going through. It took an arm and a leg to pay that deposit ($2000!) and mine was nonrefundable. All I know is that I would gladly go to school that I paid the deposit at, especially if I do not receive any other acceptances. Ultimately, I think that's what it came down to for me. I want to become a doctor THIS bad--$2000 worth.

Exactly! That was my thought process as well. It is just a hard pill to swallow and I tried waiting it out because I fell in love with Loyola's program. Thanks for the input!

Reactions: 1 users
Mine has been the same since the update link has been available. It says something along the lines of "Your interview is complete. Thank you for your interest in our program." Not sure if this means I'm getting the R or not lol. Continued consideration seems to make it sound like your file is still active.

I don't think you should assume you are going to get the R, we are just speculating and guessing what they are thinking on the basis of n=2. Plus its holiday season so the admissions office might be a little slower than usual. I really hope everything turns out for the best! Keeping my fingers crossed...

I don't think you should assume you are going to get the R, we are just speculating and guessing what they are thinking on the basis of n=2. Plus its holiday season so the admissions office might be a little slower than usual. I really hope everything turns out for the best! Keeping my fingers crossed...

Appreciate the positivity, best of look to you as well!

Hey guys,

I just finished writing my update. I wanted to send it to Loyola. I am interviewing this week. Do you think I should send my update nor or wait till after my interview or does it not matter?

Also I have been accepted to two of my state schools, but I know if I got in Loyola I would go here. So just not sure to send an intent letter either with it?

Last edited:
Hey guys,

I just finished writing my update. I wanted to send it to Loyola. I am interviewing this week. Do you think I should send my update nor or wait till after my interview or does it not matter?

I would send it now, I don't see any reason to wait until they say continued consideration or accept you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

Also I have been accepted to two of my state schools, but I know if I got in Loyola I would go here. So just not sure to send an intent letter either with it?
Hmm that's a good question. I've read on other threads that sending a letter of intent may not have any impact unless they waitlist you. That said, I'm sure there are plenty of anecdotes for people who sent letters of intent after interviewing and then got in. It's really difficult to tell on SDN whether there is any correlation. I would suggest looking at online advice from professional organizations that support students in their application process. I've also been bouncing ideas off my post-bacc advisor, so if you have anyone that you are working with it may be a more sound idea to get their opinions.

If you end up sending a letter of update, I honestly don't think it matters when you do it! You could do it now and then send a letter of thank you later, or you could do both at the same time. Either way, they'll have that info when considering your outcome!

Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate? Sorry if this has already been asked

Hey guys,

I don't see a link in the portal to send one. Only a section where it says to upload a photo. I have my interview scheduled already and wondering if my update portal had vanished because of that. For those that interviewed already did you guys have to email it? Appreciate the help!

Hey guys,

I don't see a link in the portal to send one. Only a section where it says to upload a photo. I have my interview scheduled already and wondering if my update portal had vanished because of that. For those that interviewed already did you guys have to email it? Appreciate the help!

They block the link normally to upload until after your interview. They said that you can give updates during your interview, in person. Once your interviewers have input their information then the link will reappear again for you to give more updates. Hope this helps.

They block the link normally to upload until after your interview. They said that you can give updates during your interview, in person. Once your interviewers have input their information then the link will reappear again for you to give more updates. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for your help!

I heard the
Hey guys,

I was able to upload an update a couple of days after my interview

Is Loyola receptive to ITA requests? Was thinking of mentioning I would be in the area in my update letter...

Has anyone with continued consideration been accepted yet? From last years thread this was around the time when it started to happen

Accepted! Interviewed 9/27, was placed on continued consideration before this

Reactions: 9 users
For those that have been accepted, did your portal change to Continued consideration, or are there people whose portal didn't change from "Your interview has been completed. We thank you for visiting us and for your interest in our program" and still got accepted?

For those that have been accepted, did your portal change to Continued consideration, or are there people whose portal didn't change from "Your interview has been completed. We thank you for visiting us and for your interest in our program" and still got accepted?

The latter. I remember being slightly freaked out when I saw that message because it had an air of finality to it but I got an acceptance the next week! My portal never said continued consideration.

The latter. I remember being slightly freaked out when I saw that message because it had an air of finality to it but I got an acceptance the next week! My portal never said continued consideration.

Same!

Two interviews with each being about 30 minutes? Looking at past threads seems like they asked a lot of ethical questions...was this the case for most students that interviewed there or was it generally application oriented style questions. Most people are saying it's a very relaxed interview, I am trying to calm my nerves...but i think it's because I'm so excited.

I don't remember getting any ethics questions, but you should still prepare for them just in case! Being nervous is honestly unavoidable. BUT everyone at the interview day should be relaxed, welcoming, and friendly, so that should help. Do your best to enjoy yourself and be enthusiastic during your interview.

Good luck!!

II today, but I withdrew my application as I have already been committed to my state school.

Good luck to you all!

Reactions: 4 users
When do you think 11/13 interview day will hear? Probably after the holidays right? What was the last interview day to hear any news?

When do you think 11/13 interview day will hear? Probably after the holidays right? What was the last interview day to hear any news?

Based on last year, there’s a possibility Nov interviewees might hear back before the end of the year, but most likely not until January :nailbiting:

Reactions: 1 user
Longtime lurker, but after 3 long cycle, I finally did it. Even posted on the wrong thread, got called out on another thread for it, but I found my way here and I'm here to stay! :clap: Good luck guys, I'm pulling for all of you.

Reactions: 10 users
Longtime lurker, but after 3 long cycle, I finally did it. Even posted on the wrong thread, got called out on another thread for it, but I found my way here and I'm here to stay! :clap: Good luck guys, I'm pulling for all of you.
Glad you found it. Congrats on your acceptance--three cycles sounds gnarly!

Congrats homie!! When did you interview?