Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. ick19

Congrats! When were you complete?

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using SDN mobile

2. henrytyson

Pre-Medical
    Complete 8/20

3. medsenior2021

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Yes! Last year it was first weekend in April, not sure about this year

jerryhester23 likes this.
  4. SoCal_Doc2b

Pre-Medical
    Any calls this week? :nailbiting:

5. joannapremed

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Not yet! Will probably hear maybe next week, or in the new year! Interview date: 11/27

TaiLopez likes this.
  6. Asian1995

Till which month Loyola will send II ?

7. Ravioliisgreat95

I know this has probably been asked but does everyone get their portal status updated? I’ve been completed since 8/9 but haven’t been switched from the preliminary review status. Do they just not change some peoples’ statuses even if they’ve been reviewed cause I know other schools do that?

8. SoCal_Doc2b

Pre-Medical
    My understanding is that it's February.. but I would go back to previous posts and double check. You could also call them and ask. I've called a few schools and they were able to tell me

9. SoCal_Doc2b

Pre-Medical
    My portal didn't change until I got the II I think

10. medsenior2021

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    It was mid February last year

burb, astrolocholo and Asian1995 like this.
  11. Asian1995

Thanks !!!

12. TaiLopez

PM me

13. DameJulie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Submitted my updates on the portal. Do I need to call/email admission to confirm?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  14. beexoxo

I've been wanting to submit an update with my grades from this past semester, bc I got As in 3 of my classes all of which I would say look decently impressive given their difficulty. The only thing is I got a B and B+ in my other two classes so I don't know if it would be detrimental to send that update since obviously they'll see those grades too. advice??

15. Neoneji123

Hey guys I interviewed here last week, but my portal still doesn't allow me to submit an update. Any advice?

16. Bountyhuner

Pre-Medical
    It means your files haven’t been sent on to the next committee yet. When you see the update link, that means your file is being reviewed again. You’ll probably see it early January since it’s the holidays Rn

17. JRSmith

I know this is kind of off topic but can someone who goes to Loyola answer some questions for me?

It seems that Loyola matches consistently in competitive specialties so I assume that many individuals are able to do research. I know they have a "summer research fellowship" type thing, but are students able to just contact clinical faculty and conduct clinical research from day 1?

Do most students do research at Loyola? How common is it for students to conduct research under the faculty of competitive specialties at nearby powerhouse schools, such as Northwestern and UChicago?

The curriculum map that is shown on Loyola's website is confusing for the preclinical curriculum. Does Loyola go by systems at any point during preclinical? I know they initially start with the basic biochem, anatomy, physiology, immuno, etc. but do they eventually move to a systems based curriculum?

How are clinical rotations for 3rd year? Are grades assigned pretty subjectively or are they mostly objective (performance on tests, shelf, etc)?

Are all rotations done in Loyola's hospital or do students have to go to different rotation sites around the area?

How often do students go to Chicago? Do they spend most of their time in Maywood? How's the social scene at Loyola? Are most people coming straight out of college or are they nontrads with families?

Cardiolover11 and TaiLopez like this.
  18. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

These are all great questions I hope a current student can answer too.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
    TaiLopez likes this.
  19. Bountyhuner

Pre-Medical
    Since tomorrow is the 4th Tuesday of the month, do you think we’ll just hear back the first week of January instead?

20. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

Yes! There’s no way they will let you know over the holidays. The office of admissions said their office is closed until January 2nd.

Bountyhuner likes this.
  21. joannapremed

oh wow, so that means we'll hear back the 2nd week of January?

22. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

I cannot say for sure but at my interview (November ) they said that after the holidays the first batch of news will go out mid Janauary. I’m not sure if they are releasing info prior to that. Let’s see!

joannapremed likes this.
  23. DameJulie

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Does Loyola actually read the update documents we submit via portal? Or should we email the office as well?

24. medsenior2021

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

I hope this helps, good luck y’all! Feel free to DM me if you have more specific questions, would love to answer if I can :)

It seems that Loyola matches consistently in competitive specialties so I assume that many individuals are able to do research. I know they have a "summer research fellowship" type thing, but are students able to just contact clinical faculty and conduct clinical research from day 1?

Yes you can definitely conduct research outside of the summer program. You can reach out to residents and attendings about research opportunities.

Do most students do research at Loyola? How common is it for students to conduct research under the faculty of competitive specialties at nearby powerhouse schools, such as Northwestern and UChicago?

Not sure about %students that conduct research but I think those who do, do it at Loyola, not elsewhere. (That’s just what I think-I might be wrong though)

The curriculum map that is shown on Loyola's website is confusing for the preclinical curriculum. Does Loyola go by systems at any point during preclinical? I know they initially start with the basic biochem, anatomy, physiology, immuno, etc. but do they eventually move to a systems based curriculum?

The curriculum is traditional, not system based.

How are clinical rotations for 3rd year? Are grades assigned pretty subjectively or are they mostly objective (performance on tests, shelf, etc)?

I’m not a 3rd year but I heard that it depends on the rotation, while they all consider both (objective scores and subjective evaluations) each rotation has a different percentage for those though.

Are all rotations done in Loyola's hospital or do students have to go to different rotation sites around the area?

Most rotations are done at Loyola and the VA (across the street from loyola you don’t even need a car), but some rotations are off campus, there are many locations in the area but some can be as far as 1 hour. (That’s what I heard from M3s)

How often do students go to Chicago? Do they spend most of their time in Maywood? How's the social scene at Loyola? Are most people coming straight out of college or are they nontrads with families?

It really varies. Some people go every weekend, some people go multiple times a week, others don’t go that often, but some even live in the city. I think downtown is a little over 10 miles from school and is very accessible by train. Most students live in oak park and forest park, these are some of the nicer areas around Loyola, lots of cafes and bars/restaurants. I can say no one hangs out in Maywood, there isn’t much going on around.

Student body is very diverse and people come from different backgrounds. I would say most people have taken some time off after college, but there are a few students coming straight out of college. Some students are married (or engaged), a few have kids. That being said, we’re very social and we always study and hang out together at school and outside of school. Social chairs organize class wide and school wide events. Loyola hosts events for graduate and professional students every once in a while too. Oh and we have med prom. There are also some occasional mixers between all Chicagoland med schools. Med school is hard but it’s also fun, trust me ;)

25. Bountyhuner

Pre-Medical
    Thanks so much for your response! How collaborative would you say your classmates are? At my interview they kept saying it’s “like a family” but every school I’ve been to says that so I’m curious to hear from a student.

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  26. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    anyone know when the next adcom meeting is and if they will call for acceptance starting next week?

27. BUMedHopeful93

2+ Year Member

Current Student here! DM me if you have any questions!

Freddywap likes this.
  28. joannapremed

Didn't someone say they meet Tuesdays?

29. SoCal_Doc2b

Pre-Medical
    My understanding is that adcom meets the first and last Monday and Wed of every month, and they usually call students Tue and Thurs.

On my interview day (which was on a Tuesday like most others) I think they were calling someone as I was leaving the office.. I heard the “yes, congratulations!” part... gave me the chills. This is my top choice and I really hope we get calls this week!

30. joannapremed

Do you think we might hear back by tomorrow!?

31. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

Accepted today!! I really loved Loyola on my interview day! :)

32. Alcove2

JUST GOT THE CALL GUYS!!! Interviewed on 10/25 and was losing hope by this point. Happiest day of my life, I can't stop crying!!

33. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

Congrats!! I was so excited I almost dropped my phone lol!

34. Alcove2

Thank you! You as well!! I saw a missed call and voicemail on my phone, and the caller ID said "Maywood". I was like NO. ****ING. WAY. My heart was pounding the whole time as I called them back. I thought they weren't giving out decisions until next week, and even then I would've expected it b/w Tues-Thurs based on previous posts. So this was definitely an unexpected surprise!! Congrats to you again :)

arrianym, isAdoc, Dr.Lady123 and 2 others like this.
  35. joannapremed

Wow, congrats you guys!! When did you interview?

36. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

I interviewed middle of November.

joannapremed likes this.
  37. joannapremed

Ok, nice! Congrats to you :) That is such amazing news and you should be very proud!
    I interviewed Nov 27th and have not heard back yet so we will see what happens!

38. aqifjak

II today, complete sept 7th

39. PapaMuntz

Congrats, what interview dates are available??

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SDN mobile

40. User10526

II complete late august LM 71

does anyone know what time their interview day starts and ends?

Jan8(lol im OOS),22,24 available

41. Freddywap

Pre-Medical
    Damn! i can see myself making a movie out of this story <3

42. chitownbutterfly

Congrats to y'all who have been accepted! I interviewed mid-November and I'm still on continued consideration, any past applicants have any insight? Submitted my letter of intent and updates on activities, don't know what else to do at this point besides wait :/ I really hope I get some good news soon

joannapremed likes this.
  43. don't you dare

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    best of luck to you! please update us if you hear any news :)

44. aqifjak

you can check on the portal tab "your interview" but it looks like it starts at 9

45. hopefullydoc117

Pre-Medical
    Sorry if it's already been answered, but since I don't see a spot to update on my portal: is that only available for folks who have interviewed?

46. User10526

Withdrawing II hope one of you guys get it!!

47. SoCal_Doc2b

Pre-Medical
    I really hope we hear back this week!!

48. isAdoc

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I hope so too, this wait has been awful!

chitownbutterfly likes this.
  49. Stellaartwa

Just got the call right now (maywood number). Accepted — interviewed mid Dec! Best of luck to all of you waiting!! I remember thinking on my interview day that I’d be happy having every one of those people as classmates! I hope you all hear great news soon!!

TaiLopez, SR71BLK, Freddywap and 7 others like this.
  50. truewolvgocrim1

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate here? Sorry if this has already been asked/posted.