2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know this has probably been asked but does everyone get their portal status updated? I’ve been completed since 8/9 but haven’t been switched from the preliminary review status. Do they just not change some peoples’ statuses even if they’ve been reviewed cause I know other schools do that?

Members don't see this ad :)
Till which month Loyola will send II ?

My understanding is that it's February.. but I would go back to previous posts and double check. You could also call them and ask. I've called a few schools and they were able to tell me

I know this has probably been asked but does everyone get their portal status updated? I’ve been completed since 8/9 but haven’t been switched from the preliminary review status. Do they just not change some peoples’ statuses even if they’ve been reviewed cause I know other schools do that?

My portal didn't change until I got the II I think

Submitted my updates on the portal. Do I need to call/email admission to confirm?

I've been wanting to submit an update with my grades from this past semester, bc I got As in 3 of my classes all of which I would say look decently impressive given their difficulty. The only thing is I got a B and B+ in my other two classes so I don't know if it would be detrimental to send that update since obviously they'll see those grades too. advice??

Hey guys I interviewed here last week, but my portal still doesn't allow me to submit an update. Any advice?

Hey guys I interviewed here last week, but my portal still doesn't allow me to submit an update. Any advice?

It means your files haven’t been sent on to the next committee yet. When you see the update link, that means your file is being reviewed again. You’ll probably see it early January since it’s the holidays Rn

I know this is kind of off topic but can someone who goes to Loyola answer some questions for me?

It seems that Loyola matches consistently in competitive specialties so I assume that many individuals are able to do research. I know they have a "summer research fellowship" type thing, but are students able to just contact clinical faculty and conduct clinical research from day 1?

Do most students do research at Loyola? How common is it for students to conduct research under the faculty of competitive specialties at nearby powerhouse schools, such as Northwestern and UChicago?

The curriculum map that is shown on Loyola's website is confusing for the preclinical curriculum. Does Loyola go by systems at any point during preclinical? I know they initially start with the basic biochem, anatomy, physiology, immuno, etc. but do they eventually move to a systems based curriculum?

How are clinical rotations for 3rd year? Are grades assigned pretty subjectively or are they mostly objective (performance on tests, shelf, etc)?

Are all rotations done in Loyola's hospital or do students have to go to different rotation sites around the area?

How often do students go to Chicago? Do they spend most of their time in Maywood? How's the social scene at Loyola? Are most people coming straight out of college or are they nontrads with families?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I know this is kind of off topic but can someone who goes to Loyola answer some questions for me?

It seems that Loyola matches consistently in competitive specialties so I assume that many individuals are able to do research. I know they have a "summer research fellowship" type thing, but are students able to just contact clinical faculty and conduct clinical research from day 1?

Do most students do research at Loyola? How common is it for students to conduct research under the faculty of competitive specialties at nearby powerhouse schools, such as Northwestern and UChicago?

The curriculum map that is shown on Loyola's website is confusing for the preclinical curriculum. Does Loyola go by systems at any point during preclinical? I know they initially start with the basic biochem, anatomy, physiology, immuno, etc. but do they eventually move to a systems based curriculum?

How are clinical rotations for 3rd year? Are grades assigned pretty subjectively or are they mostly objective (performance on tests, shelf, etc)?

Are all rotations done in Loyola's hospital or do students have to go to different rotation sites around the area?

How often do students go to Chicago? Do they spend most of their time in Maywood? How's the social scene at Loyola? Are most people coming straight out of college or are they nontrads with families?

These are all great questions I hope a current student can answer too.

Reactions: 1 user
Since tomorrow is the 4th Tuesday of the month, do you think we’ll just hear back the first week of January instead?

Since tomorrow is the 4th Tuesday of the month, do you think we’ll just hear back the first week of January instead?

Yes! There’s no way they will let you know over the holidays. The office of admissions said their office is closed until January 2nd.

oh wow, so that means we'll hear back the 2nd week of January?

I cannot say for sure but at my interview (November ) they said that after the holidays the first batch of news will go out mid Janauary. I’m not sure if they are releasing info prior to that. Let’s see!

Does Loyola actually read the update documents we submit via portal? Or should we email the office as well?

I hope this helps, good luck y’all! Feel free to DM me if you have more specific questions, would love to answer if I can :)

Yes you can definitely conduct research outside of the summer program. You can reach out to residents and attendings about research opportunities.

Not sure about %students that conduct research but I think those who do, do it at Loyola, not elsewhere. (That’s just what I think-I might be wrong though)

The curriculum is traditional, not system based.

I’m not a 3rd year but I heard that it depends on the rotation, while they all consider both (objective scores and subjective evaluations) each rotation has a different percentage for those though.

Most rotations are done at Loyola and the VA (across the street from loyola you don’t even need a car), but some rotations are off campus, there are many locations in the area but some can be as far as 1 hour. (That’s what I heard from M3s)

It really varies. Some people go every weekend, some people go multiple times a week, others don’t go that often, but some even live in the city. I think downtown is a little over 10 miles from school and is very accessible by train. Most students live in oak park and forest park, these are some of the nicer areas around Loyola, lots of cafes and bars/restaurants. I can say no one hangs out in Maywood, there isn’t much going on around.

Student body is very diverse and people come from different backgrounds. I would say most people have taken some time off after college, but there are a few students coming straight out of college. Some students are married (or engaged), a few have kids. That being said, we’re very social and we always study and hang out together at school and outside of school. Social chairs organize class wide and school wide events. Loyola hosts events for graduate and professional students every once in a while too. Oh and we have med prom. There are also some occasional mixers between all Chicagoland med schools. Med school is hard but it’s also fun, trust me ;)

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks so much for your response! How collaborative would you say your classmates are? At my interview they kept saying it’s “like a family” but every school I’ve been to says that so I’m curious to hear from a student.

anyone know when the next adcom meeting is and if they will call for acceptance starting next week?

Reactions: 4 users
Current Student here! DM me if you have any questions!

Didn't someone say they meet Tuesdays?

My understanding is that adcom meets the first and last Monday and Wed of every month, and they usually call students Tue and Thurs.

On my interview day (which was on a Tuesday like most others) I think they were calling someone as I was leaving the office.. I heard the “yes, congratulations!” part... gave me the chills. This is my top choice and I really hope we get calls this week!

My understanding is that adcom meets the first and last Monday and Wed of every month, and they usually call students Tue and Thurs.

On my interview day (which was on a Tuesday like most others) I think they were calling someone as I was leaving the office.. I heard the “yes, congratulations!” part... gave me the chills. This is my top choice and I really hope we get calls this week!
Do you think we might hear back by tomorrow!?

Accepted today!! I really loved Loyola on my interview day! :)

Reactions: 8 users
JUST GOT THE CALL GUYS!!! Interviewed on 10/25 and was losing hope by this point. Happiest day of my life, I can't stop crying!!

Reactions: 17 users
JUST GOT THE CALL GUYS!!! Interviewed on 10/25 and was losing hope by this point. Happiest day of my life, I can't stop crying!!
Congrats!! I was so excited I almost dropped my phone lol!

Reactions: 3 users
Congrats!! I was so excited I almost dropped my phone lol!
Thank you! You as well!! I saw a missed call and voicemail on my phone, and the caller ID said "Maywood". I was like NO. ****ING. WAY. My heart was pounding the whole time as I called them back. I thought they weren't giving out decisions until next week, and even then I would've expected it b/w Tues-Thurs based on previous posts. So this was definitely an unexpected surprise!! Congrats to you again :)

II today, complete sept 7th

Reactions: 4 users

Damn! i can see myself making a movie out of this story <3

Congrats to y'all who have been accepted! I interviewed mid-November and I'm still on continued consideration, any past applicants have any insight? Submitted my letter of intent and updates on activities, don't know what else to do at this point besides wait :/ I really hope I get some good news soon

Congrats to y'all who have been accepted! I interviewed mid-November and I'm still on continued consideration, any past applicants have any insight? Submitted my letter of intent and updates on activities, don't know what else to do at this point besides wait :/ I really hope I get some good news soon
best of luck to you! please update us if you hear any news :)

Reactions: 2 users
II complete late august LM 71

does anyone know what time their interview day starts and ends?

Jan8(lol im OOS),22,24 available

you can check on the portal tab "your interview" but it looks like it starts at 9

Sorry if it's already been answered, but since I don't see a spot to update on my portal: is that only available for folks who have interviewed?

Just got the call right now (maywood number). Accepted — interviewed mid Dec! Best of luck to all of you waiting!! I remember thinking on my interview day that I’d be happy having every one of those people as classmates! I hope you all hear great news soon!!

Reactions: 10 users
Anyone know the post-II acceptance rate here? Sorry if this has already been asked/posted.

Anyone from 11/27 interview hear back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks so much for your response! How collaborative would you say your classmates are? At my interview they kept saying it’s “like a family” but every school I’ve been to says that so I’m curious to hear from a student.

SO SORRY for not replying earlier, totally missed this! But I guess I'll give you a longer than expected (I hope) reply lol

You asked about one of my favorite things about Loyola. Ok I honestly don't even know where to start, I can write a paper about this and even give a presentation, literally. I'm not ready to call Chicago home just yet but Stritch IS home, since day 1. I feel so blessed and lucky to get to go to school to a place that truly feels like home, where everyone is family. I had this strange feeling on my interview day- everyone was exceptionally nice and I loved the atmosphere. But you know, it's interview day: they're trying their best to impress you and make you want to go there, right? (hint: WRONG) I went to second look and I also had the same feeling, I fell in love with the school even more and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I'm so glad I went back for second look (highly recommend that you all do, and try to go to as many as you can afford!).

Fast forward to orientation week, OMG med school is amazing I love everyone this is so much fun, but yeah it's just orientation week. Week 2, Week 10, Week 25 aaaaand I lost count, but nothing has changed since day one. Loyola continues to impress me e v e r y s i n g l e d a y. Even on hard days, before exams, when I'm tired and maybe even feeling like crap, I love going to school cuz I can still find happiness at Loyola.

Back to class collaboration: still amazed by how supportive everyone is. Right before school, we got a google drive from upperclassmen full of notes, anki deck, books, practice questions, tips..you name it. They also hold tips/Q&A sessions before new classes and review sessions for us before exams. The drive is continuously updated by our class: people literally share their own notes, summaries, tables, charts, anki decks, it's crazy lol. We have a facebook group and notifications don't stop before exams cuz everyone is sharing resources (their own and also things they found online, like youtube videos and whatnot). I can honestly go on and on... We promise to share these with the class of 2023 haha ;)

Oh one more thing that I still can't explain: when we had our very first exam, M2s made us pancakes in the morning, it was the best thing ever. It’s not the pancakes, it’s the idea. You walk into the atrium (stressed cuz u know it's the first exam in med school), you smell pancakes, and you see smiley faces wishing you good luck and making sure you eat a bite before your exam. I don't think med school can get more homey than this. Oh and M2s had an exam that day too and it was their first integrated exam in med school.

That's all I can say for now. Take it all with a grain of salt, compare med schools as you interview and go to second looks and decide. Loyola is outstanding and I can never see myself at a different medical school, but it might not be the best fit for everyone. Try to learn as much as possible about schools and figure out what's YOUR best fit, don't listen to your mentor, your friends, your family, listen to your gut, seriously.

Disclaimer: I did not attend any other med school. I did not interview at all med schools. This might be the 'standard' for all med schools, but I kinda doubt it :)

Reactions: 15 users
SO SORRY for not replying earlier, totally missed this! But I guess I'll give you a longer than expected (I hope) reply lol

You asked about one of my favorite things about Loyola. Ok I honestly don't even know where to start, I can write a paper about this and even give a presentation, literally. I'm not ready to call Chicago home just yet but Stritch IS home, since day 1. I feel so blessed and lucky to get to go to school to a place that truly feels like home, where everyone is family. I had this strange feeling on my interview day- everyone was exceptionally nice and I loved the atmosphere. But you know, it's interview day: they're trying their best to impress you and make you want to go there, right? (hint: WRONG) I went to second look and I also had the same feeling, I fell in love with the school even more and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I'm so glad I went back for second look (highly recommend that you all do, and try to go to as many as you can afford!).

Fast forward to orientation week, OMG med school is amazing I love everyone this is so much fun, but yeah it's just orientation week. Week 2, Week 10, Week 25 aaaaand I lost count, but nothing has changed since day one. Loyola continues to impress me e v e r y s i n g l e d a y. Even on hard days, before exams, when I'm tired and maybe even feeling like crap, I love going to school cuz I can still find happiness at Loyola.

Back to class collaboration: still amazed by how supportive everyone is. Right before school, we got a google drive from upperclassmen full of notes, anki deck, books, practice questions, tips..you name it. They also hold tips/Q&A sessions before new classes and review sessions for us before exams. The drive is continuously updated by our class: people literally share their own notes, summaries, tables, charts, anki decks, it's crazy lol. We have a facebook group and notifications don't stop before exams cuz everyone is sharing resources (their own and also things they found online, like youtube videos and whatnot). I can honestly go on and on... We promise to share these with the class of 2023 haha ;)

Oh one more thing that I still can't explain: when we had our very first exam, M2s made us pancakes in the morning, it was the best thing ever. It’s not the pancakes, it’s the idea. You walk into the atrium (stressed cuz u know it's the first exam in med school), you smell pancakes, and you see smiley faces wishing you good luck and making sure you eat a bite before your exam. I don't think med school can get more homey than this. Oh and M2s had an exam that day too and it was their first integrated exam in med school.

That's all I can say for now. Take it all with a grain of salt, compare med schools as you interview and go to second looks and decide. Loyola is outstanding and I can never see myself at a different medical school, but it might not be the best fit for everyone. Try to learn as much as possible about schools and figure out what's YOUR best fit, don't listen to your mentor, your friends, your family, listen to your gut, seriously.

Disclaimer: I did not attend any other med school. I did not interview at all med schools. This might be the 'standard' for all med schools, but I kinda doubt it :)

You are a beast for writing this. I've been so excited about this school and you just made me like 10x more hype lmao. I'm still holding out to hear from a couple more places, but it's hard to imagine me liking them more!