2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You are a beast for writing this. I've been so excited about this school and you just made me like 10x more hype lmao. I'm still holding out to hear from a couple more places, but it's hard to imagine me liking them more!

I hope it was worth the wait lol. I hope you get into your best fit. Make sure you learn as much as possible about the programs and talk to students as well. Good luck!!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Another silent day :( let's hope to hear back next week!

Reactions: 1 user
Did someone maybe try calling them and asking them about it?

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow I am really loving everything about Loyola! I’m excited to check out where I would possibly live and be back for second look day! <3

SO SORRY for not replying earlier, totally missed this! But I guess I'll give you a longer than expected (I hope) reply lol

You asked about one of my favorite things about Loyola. Ok I honestly don't even know where to start, I can write a paper about this and even give a presentation, literally. I'm not ready to call Chicago home just yet but Stritch IS home, since day 1. I feel so blessed and lucky to get to go to school to a place that truly feels like home, where everyone is family. I had this strange feeling on my interview day- everyone was exceptionally nice and I loved the atmosphere. But you know, it's interview day: they're trying their best to impress you and make you want to go there, right? (hint: WRONG) I went to second look and I also had the same feeling, I fell in love with the school even more and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I'm so glad I went back for second look (highly recommend that you all do, and try to go to as many as you can afford!).

Fast forward to orientation week, OMG med school is amazing I love everyone this is so much fun, but yeah it's just orientation week. Week 2, Week 10, Week 25 aaaaand I lost count, but nothing has changed since day one. Loyola continues to impress me e v e r y s i n g l e d a y. Even on hard days, before exams, when I'm tired and maybe even feeling like crap, I love going to school cuz I can still find happiness at Loyola.

Back to class collaboration: still amazed by how supportive everyone is. Right before school, we got a google drive from upperclassmen full of notes, anki deck, books, practice questions, tips..you name it. They also hold tips/Q&A sessions before new classes and review sessions for us before exams. The drive is continuously updated by our class: people literally share their own notes, summaries, tables, charts, anki decks, it's crazy lol. We have a facebook group and notifications don't stop before exams cuz everyone is sharing resources (their own and also things they found online, like youtube videos and whatnot). I can honestly go on and on... We promise to share these with the class of 2023 haha ;)

Oh one more thing that I still can't explain: when we had our very first exam, M2s made us pancakes in the morning, it was the best thing ever. It’s not the pancakes, it’s the idea. You walk into the atrium (stressed cuz u know it's the first exam in med school), you smell pancakes, and you see smiley faces wishing you good luck and making sure you eat a bite before your exam. I don't think med school can get more homey than this. Oh and M2s had an exam that day too and it was their first integrated exam in med school.

That's all I can say for now. Take it all with a grain of salt, compare med schools as you interview and go to second looks and decide. Loyola is outstanding and I can never see myself at a different medical school, but it might not be the best fit for everyone. Try to learn as much as possible about schools and figure out what's YOUR best fit, don't listen to your mentor, your friends, your family, listen to your gut, seriously.

Disclaimer: I did not attend any other med school. I did not interview at all med schools. This might be the 'standard' for all med schools, but I kinda doubt it :)

which area do you guys recommend to book an airbnb

Is Loyola receptive to ITA requests and would a 3 week notice be adequate time to notify them?

which area do you guys recommend to book an airbnb
If you want to explore chicago i recommend Lincoln Park or Logan Square neighborhoods. However, getting to Maywood would be a hassle because of traffic. If you just want somewhere nearby for the interview, Forest Park and Oak Park are good.

Is this school still sending out IIs or is the point moot? Been in silence since July and the wait is killing me

Reactions: 3 users
Is this school still sending out IIs or is the point moot? Been in silence since July and the wait is killing me
Don't know if this helps but they did send them until mid-Feb last year

I hear you. This is what their website says:

The Interview: August-February
Completed files are reviewed to determine if the applicant is eligible for interview. Interviews take place at the medical school from late August through February and allow prospective students to speak with faculty members and students. Applicants also tour Loyola’s facilities with a current medical student who can describe the educational experience and what it’s like to attend the Stritch School of Medicine.

TLDR: Interviews will go through February, and they could still send out IIs given this timeline.

I've been waiting since August and I swear I thought I'd be a good fit for this school, but no II yet. Don't lose hope, there's still time for miracles!

If you want to explore chicago i recommend Lincoln Park or Logan Square neighborhoods. However, getting to Maywood would be a hassle because of traffic. If you just want somewhere nearby for the interview, Forest Park and Oak Park are good.
thanks so much!

You can also take the blue line to forest park and take the loyola shuttle from there, or even uber. But it might be just easier to spend the night before your interview closer to Loyola, maybe forest park or oak park and then spend a couple of nights elsewhere, if you're making a trip out of it

Last year they sent the last IIs mid Feb and interviewed till late Feb, good luck!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is Loyola receptive to ITA requests and would a 3 week notice be adequate time to notify them?
I think someone mentioned earlier that they got an II after an ITA email, it doesn't hurt to try but I would send it asap. Good luck!

Congrats to y'all who have been accepted! I interviewed mid-November and I'm still on continued consideration, any past applicants have any insight? Submitted my letter of intent and updates on activities, don't know what else to do at this point besides wait :/ I really hope I get some good news soon

Similarly to you, I interviewed in October and was placed in CC. Sent in a few updates and now I am just waiting. Any insight would also be nice :D

SO SORRY for not replying earlier, totally missed this! But I guess I'll give you a longer than expected (I hope) reply lol

You asked about one of my favorite things about Loyola. Ok I honestly don't even know where to start, I can write a paper about this and even give a presentation, literally. I'm not ready to call Chicago home just yet but Stritch IS home, since day 1. I feel so blessed and lucky to get to go to school to a place that truly feels like home, where everyone is family. I had this strange feeling on my interview day- everyone was exceptionally nice and I loved the atmosphere. But you know, it's interview day: they're trying their best to impress you and make you want to go there, right? (hint: WRONG) I went to second look and I also had the same feeling, I fell in love with the school even more and couldn't imagine myself anywhere else. I'm so glad I went back for second look (highly recommend that you all do, and try to go to as many as you can afford!).

Fast forward to orientation week, OMG med school is amazing I love everyone this is so much fun, but yeah it's just orientation week. Week 2, Week 10, Week 25 aaaaand I lost count, but nothing has changed since day one. Loyola continues to impress me e v e r y s i n g l e d a y. Even on hard days, before exams, when I'm tired and maybe even feeling like crap, I love going to school cuz I can still find happiness at Loyola.

Back to class collaboration: still amazed by how supportive everyone is. Right before school, we got a google drive from upperclassmen full of notes, anki deck, books, practice questions, tips..you name it. They also hold tips/Q&A sessions before new classes and review sessions for us before exams. The drive is continuously updated by our class: people literally share their own notes, summaries, tables, charts, anki decks, it's crazy lol. We have a facebook group and notifications don't stop before exams cuz everyone is sharing resources (their own and also things they found online, like youtube videos and whatnot). I can honestly go on and on... We promise to share these with the class of 2023 haha ;)

Oh one more thing that I still can't explain: when we had our very first exam, M2s made us pancakes in the morning, it was the best thing ever. It’s not the pancakes, it’s the idea. You walk into the atrium (stressed cuz u know it's the first exam in med school), you smell pancakes, and you see smiley faces wishing you good luck and making sure you eat a bite before your exam. I don't think med school can get more homey than this. Oh and M2s had an exam that day too and it was their first integrated exam in med school.

That's all I can say for now. Take it all with a grain of salt, compare med schools as you interview and go to second looks and decide. Loyola is outstanding and I can never see myself at a different medical school, but it might not be the best fit for everyone. Try to learn as much as possible about schools and figure out what's YOUR best fit, don't listen to your mentor, your friends, your family, listen to your gut, seriously.

Disclaimer: I did not attend any other med school. I did not interview at all med schools. This might be the 'standard' for all med schools, but I kinda doubt it :)

Wow! This was so exciting to read! Loyola is definitely one of my top choices, I hope I can accepted. One thing that I still haven’t been able to find out about is the average step scores, how long m2 students get for dedicated and lastly what percent of the students match.

I also heard on my interview day that they make first year considerably more laid back / easier than second year because the students learn all the “normal” and then abnormal later. Can someone comment on the shift from first to second year.

How receptive are the professors to student questions / asking for extra help outside of class?

Do students have study sessions together and is there any type of mentorhsio program between the first years and upper classmen?

I was also wondering since Loyola is pretty close to downtown Chicago, are most students spread out across Chicago doing their own thing?

Lastly, are 3rd and 4th Years also pass / fail ?

Thanks so much!! Would really appreciate if a current student could answer these !

Can anyone tell me when Loyola interview days typically are? For example, do they only interview on certain days, once a week, etc?

Can anyone tell me when Loyola interview days typically are? For example, do they only interview on certain days, once a week, etc?
I believe Loyola SSOM interviews on Tuesdays and Thursdays.

Based on the last 2 years, it looks like they made calls around Jan 9 (which coincides with the acceptance calls last week) and around Jan 23, which means they're probably going to make more calls until next week

Reactions: 2 users
Wow! This was so exciting to read! Loyola is definitely one of my top choices, I hope I can accepted. One thing that I still haven’t been able to find out about is the average step scores, how long m2 students get for dedicated and lastly what percent of the students match.

I also heard on my interview day that they make first year considerably more laid back / easier than second year because the students learn all the “normal” and then abnormal later. Can someone comment on the shift from first to second year.

How receptive are the professors to student questions / asking for extra help outside of class?

Do students have study sessions together and is there any type of mentorhsio program between the first years and upper classmen?

I was also wondering since Loyola is pretty close to downtown Chicago, are most students spread out across Chicago doing their own thing?

Thanks so much!! Would really appreciate if a current student could answer these !

Average step scores: No clue but we were told not to worry about step, our classes should prepare us well, in addition to other resources as well. If you look at match data for loyola, you can tell that students do pretty well.

how long m2 students get for dedicated: I think 8-ish weeks for step and summer? I just looked up the academic calendar for M2s and M3s, I think there are 2 months between the last final and first day of third year.

what percent of the students match: also not sure (i would say 99-100%, don't quote me on that though!)

M1 right here lol. the beginning of first year was more laid back but it ramps up throughout the year and from what I hear second year is a little more intense

VERY receptive. You can ask questions after class/email them/ask online on the class site/go to office. We also have Q&A/review sessions at least twice a month (depends on the class, I think we had them once a week at the very beginning)

Yeah we do study together and we also get review sessions by M2s. We wre also paired with an M3 mentor at the beginning of the year, you can talk to your mentor as much/little as you want but you're required to shadow them 3 times. We're also paired with an attending mentor. You can also find more mentors through some interest groups

Not sure what you meant here. We're not necessarily spread out, most students live in oak park/forest park. We hang out together pretty often.

No, and they should never be (that's just my opinion), not sure if any med schools do P/F for clerkships. Residency programs need to see some other form of evaluation, other than steps, just to make things more fair, again that's my opinion

Good luck, I hope you hear good news soon!

What days of the week do they send out acceptances?

Sorry if this has been asked already

Accepted, LizzyM 70

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
radio silence since July, anyone?

Reactions: 7 users
II right now! complete a long time ago (like in july). OOS, LM ~70

Reactions: 6 users

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Last edited:
For current students, what is your daily commute like? I know that most say they live in Oak Park or Forest Park and some even live in the city. I was looking at apts in the city, and the commute per google maps would be 1 hr and 20 mins! Even living in Oak Park you have to get the L and then the free Loyola shuttle? Does anyone drive? This worries me! :/

Last edited:
For current students, who is your daily commute like? I know that most say they live in Oak Park or Forest Park and some even live in the city. I was looking at apts in the city, and the commute per google maps would be 1 hr and 20 mins! Even living in Oak Park you have to get the L and then the free Loyola shuttle? Does anyone drive? This worries me! :/

Not a current student but fwiw: on my interview day, the students we talked to (most of whom lived in Oak Park & Forest Park) said that while having a car isn't essential, life is MUCH easier if you do. Those that don't have one often carpool with those that do.

Edit: oh and my student interviewer lived in Chicago and said her drive was typically ~30 mins.

For current students, who is your daily commute like? I know that most say they live in Oak Park or Forest Park and some even live in the city. I was looking at apts in the city, and the commute per google maps would be 1 hr and 20 mins! Even living in Oak Park you have to get the L and then the free Loyola shuttle? Does anyone drive? This worries me! :/

I was thinking about the same thing. There are apartments in Forest Park/ Oak Park that I would love to live in but I do not own a car. I could carpool. I looked into public transport and there are buses that are less than a 30 minute commute too. I think it would be a tough commute living in the city. I thought about maybe moving closer to the city for my last two years when I will not need to be at school as much.

I got accepted an hour ago as well! I interviewed November 27th :) I am 95% I will be attending this school so I am very excited about meeting you all! Congratulations to those who have been accepted and those who haven't heard yet, keep your head up :)

Reactions: 13 users
Has anyone been accepted after being put on continued consideration? How long after your interview did you get accepted? Did you receive an email that you were on CC (I didn't, found out on my portal). Also, congrats to all who were accepted today!

Committing to Loyola! Is there an accepted students page, more info about housing, etc?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 7 users
I was accepted to Loyola last semester! Very excited!! But also kind of nervous because I can’t find a list of residency programs that students matched at last year. Only statistics of what specaities were matched. And i cant find any data on how well students do on step. Does anyone have information on that?

Also, they are unranked on usa which doesnt mean much since that just means they didnt submit data. But I was wondering if anyone knew why they pulled out of the usa rankings?

I was accepted to Loyola last semester! Very excited!! But also kind of nervous because I can’t find a list of residency programs that students matched at last year. Only statistics of what specaities were matched. And i cant find any data on how well students do on step. Does anyone have information on that?

Also, they are unranked on usa which doesnt mean much since that just means they didnt submit data. But I was wondering if anyone knew why they pulled out of the usa rankings?

I was also wondering about all of this / have The same concern. This info seems to be more transparent and easily accessible at other places

I was also wondering about all of this / have The same concern. This info seems to be more transparent and easily accessible at other places

You can email the admissions office and ask for a match list. They would be happy to provide it to you.

Does anyone know the number of people interviewed throughout the whole season? I talked to a student and was told around 400 but that seemed low, still waiting to hear back about my interview in December!