2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted yesterday! I was on CC, interviewed October. I sent a few meaningful updates. Good luck to everywhere still waiting to hear back! Any accepted know when second look day is?

April 5 is the main day for second look, although it looks like there's some stuff the night before too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Accepted yesterday! I was on CC, interviewed October. I sent a few meaningful updates. Good luck to everywhere still waiting to hear back! Any accepted know when second look day is?

Have they gotten back to anyone who interviewed in December ?

Reactions: 1 user
Current MS4. Happy to answer any questions. My memory is best for M3/M4 year but I do remember a lot from before. Ask away if ya have any questions.

Members don't see this ad :)
April 5 is the main day for second look, although it looks like there's some stuff the night before too.

Hey! was wondering where you got these dates from. Just want to plan my schedule around 2nd look day. Thanks!

Hey! was wondering where you got these dates from. Just want to plan my schedule around 2nd look day. Thanks!

I was accepted back in October and received a save-the-date email from them at the beginning of this month

Current MS4. Happy to answer any questions. My memory is best for M3/M4 year but I do remember a lot from before. Ask away if ya have any questions.

What clubs were you involved with? What's your least favorite thing about Stritch? (cause I know it's a really lovely place)

it

can be anywhere from 500 (in a multi-roommate house/apartment pretty much anywhere) up to 2000 (in a luxurious 1 bedroom apartment in downtown oak park).
Neighborhoods: Forest park, oak park, north riverside, berwyn, river forest. Some people live closer to chicago downtown (west loop, logan square...).
There should be a FB group for accepted students- we had a google sheet last year with contact info and personality/preferences questions. Also, if you go to second look, you can meet potential classmates in person and figure out who you want to live with!!

Can you message me the fb group for accepted students?

Congrats on your acceptance! I might not have the best answer for you but I’ll tell you my opinion
I really don’t know why people even look at match lists. I personally never looked for match data when I was applying, it just didn’t seem relevant- it really doesn’t tell you much. Whether someone matched into ortho in CA, doesn’t really matter. Where people match depends on many many variables that usually depend on the students (where they’re from, what their goals are, where their significant others are.....). Interests and goals can vary from a year to another, and this has nothing to do with the school. Percentages can matter, they just tell you if you can match in a certain specialty (if that’s what you want/can achieve). I would only be concerned if a school doesn’t consistently match in competitive specialties.
I don’t think schools typically post step scores (which I also think depend on students, again their interests and goals).
Ranking.. as a student, Stritch is much more than just a number to me. My hypothesis is that Stritch wants people who are truly interested in the school and its mission. Also these rankings take into account so many factors that don’t necessarily affect your education

Thanks so much! I also did end up emailing admissions asking for a list of programs people matched into and they gave me the deidentified list of everything! Some pretty impressive matches, also noticed that Loyola takes a lot of it's own students for residencies. My interviewer (double boarded physician in CICU/Anesthesiology) mentioned that as well and she said that the residency directors prefer their own students because of well trained they are. Which I found really interesting and encouraging.

My portal says your application has been initially reviewed and will be kept for further review until the end of interview season. Is that their way of saying deferment? Also, does anyone know when does this school starts sending out rejections? The wait is killing me. I'd rather get rejected and move on for next cycle. :(

I emailed them recently and was told that it would be unlikely that we would be able to get to the applicants on hold..... I really want to just leave Medicine at this point

For the people who interviewed in December.. I just received a response to my email asking when I would expect to hear back (interviewed 12/6) and apparently there was a technical glitch in their system that basically made my application disappear into thin air... but have no fear, "it has been resolved"... they're saying I should hear back no later than the middle of this month.

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them recently and was told that it would be unlikely that we would be able to get to the applicants on hold..... I really want to just leave Medicine at this point
Don’t feel discouraged!! You never know what the future holds for you. You might hear back from other programs. And if not, see how you can improve your app and reapply! Don’t let a setback stop you from achieving your goals. Always try to find ways to improve so you can jump higher every time. I wish you all the best no matter where you end up. Message me if you’d like to talk more/have questions/need advice/want to vent. Hang in there my friend and don’t give up!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you guys referring to pre interview or post interview?

What clubs were you involved with? What's your least favorite thing about Stritch? (cause I know it's a really lovely place)

I didn't really get involved, but we have a lot of clubs available to students, from interest groups to cultural groups to business groups. You can also start virtually any group you want. We even have a brewer's guild for beer lovers.

Least favorite part is probably lack of proper residency application counseling by the administration. You'll need to search out mentors in your field, which is very easy here at Loyola, because the administration is not super helpful when it comes to specific things, and has on several occasions given erroneous advice ("don't apply to this field, you won't match, etc.) that is unwarranted and there have been a handful of issues. Our students don't have any issues matching and we do incredibly well, but we generally ignore our admins (who are well-intentioned, however).

Also, Loyola's strengths are 1) clinical competence; 2) social competence. Clinically one of the strongest sides, and we know how to deal with patients emotionally and socially. However, academics, at least during my M1/M2 year, aren't as organized, and you need to be a self-starter/ independent learner or at least get ready to develop those skills more at Loyola, because we are not the best organized didactic program during M1/M2 years. Certainly doable, but Loyola expects a lot of its students, namely, being proactive self-starters.

Reactions: 3 users
I didn't really get involved, but we have a lot of clubs available to students, from interest groups to cultural groups to business groups. You can also start virtually any group you want. We even have a brewer's guild for beer lovers.

Least favorite part is probably lack of proper residency application counseling by the administration. You'll need to search out mentors in your field, which is very easy here at Loyola, because the administration is not super helpful when it comes to specific things, and has on several occasions given erroneous advice ("don't apply to this field, you won't match, etc.) that is unwarranted and there have been a handful of issues. Our students don't have any issues matching and we do incredibly well, but we generally ignore our admins (who are well-intentioned, however).

Also, Loyola's strengths are 1) clinical competence; 2) social competence. Clinically one of the strongest sides, and we know how to deal with patients emotionally and socially. However, academics, at least during my M1/M2 year, aren't as organized, and you need to be a self-starter/ independent learner or at least get ready to develop those skills more at Loyola, because we are not the best organized didactic program during M1/M2 years. Certainly doable, but Loyola expects a lot of its students, namely, being proactive self-starters.

Thank you!

Hmm my application still says, "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee." Anyone else have this status? Not sure if they made a decision on my application, but it looks like their interview season is winding down.

Reactions: 4 users
Hmm my application still says, "Your file is currently undergoing a review by our committee." Anyone else have this status? Not sure if they made a decision on my application, but it looks like their interview season is winding down.
Apparently their last interview is February 14th.

ACCEPTED!!!!
Interviewed middle of Dec, top choice
can’t wait to see everyone during second look.

Reactions: 9 users

Mine says the same thing. Never heard back from them post-secondary. Idk if this school does pre-II rejects or not, but we're definitely getting soft-R's

For the people who interviewed in December.. I just received a response to my email asking when I would expect to hear back (interviewed 12/6) and apparently there was a technical glitch in their system that basically made my application disappear into thin air... but have no fear, "it has been resolved"... they're saying I should hear back no later than the middle of this month.

Oh gosh so did they recover all the applications ? Scary to think that someone’s file would just disappear into cyber world

However, academics, at least during my M1/M2 year, aren't as organized, and you need to be a self-starter/ independent learner
Thank you for the answers! Can you expand on what is disorganized about the pre-clinical years?
How much PBL does Loyola do? Are lectures taught by MDs or PhDs? If you could go back in time, knowing what you know now about Loyola, would you go to Loyola again or would you go to a less well-known but much cheaper state school?

That means they had already send all interview invites. Generally interview dates gets filled 2 weeks prior.

Last edited:
Got accepted to Stritch in October and am really considering coming. Any current students in the medical spanish program? How much extra time commitment is that? Also, how common is it to go on a global rotation somewhere outside of the US during 3rd and 4th years?

Got accepted to Stritch in October and am really considering coming. Any current students in the medical spanish program? How much extra time commitment is that? Also, how common is it to go on a global rotation somewhere outside of the US during 3rd and 4th years?
Congrats! I’m in med Spanish, it’s only 1 hour a week so it’s definitely doable.
Not sure about international rotation. I know that most people doing the global health honors program go on international rotation. I’m pretty sure it’s doable- the global health office is very helpful and has lots of connections

Congrats! I’m in med Spanish, it’s only 1 hour a week so it’s definitely doable.
Not sure about international rotation. I know that most people doing the global health honors program go on international rotation. I’m pretty sure it’s doable- the global health office is very helpful and has lots of connections

Thank you so so much for answering our questions! I was wondering about research opportunities here. I know that there is the summer research program, but how easy is it to find opportunities for further research. Also, do you need a car? I am thinking of living in forest park and using public transport or carpooling.

Thank you so so much for answering our questions! I was wondering about research opportunities here. I know that there is the summer research program, but how easy is it to find opportunities for further research. Also, do you need a car? I am thinking of living in forest park and using public transport or carpooling.
While there's no research requirement or a structured program besides the summer one, a lot of students get involved in research. You can reach out to attendings and residents and jump on projects they're working on. Also you can do a research elective in your last 2 years.

You don't really need a car- especially if you live close to public transportation or have roommates/neighbors to carpool with, but you will need a car for rotations because you might have weird hours and/or might be placed elsewhere for some blocks.

Thank you for the answers! Can you expand on what is disorganized about the pre-clinical years?
How much PBL does Loyola do? Are lectures taught by MDs or PhDs? If you could go back in time, knowing what you know now about Loyola, would you go to Loyola again or would you go to a less well-known but much cheaper state school?

Most courses are fine, but there were a couple of courses we basically had to teach ourselves. Additionally, at least during my time, they added in some non-science courses aimed at learning about disparities and social/behavioral topics, but the actual way the sessions were taught were not helpful, and the ways they tested them were not great. They have made many changes so an M1/M2 can speak better to this, but from some that I've spoken with, there is still progress to be made. That being said, it's all doable, and you are well prepared for 3rd/4th year, and I killed it on boards, as did many classmates, but how much of that is up to personal preparation is still significant, like at most programs.

Loyola does PBL weekly for certain courses like Physiology and Pathology. It's usually 1-2x weekly.

I would go to Loyola again. Being as clinically solid as I am is worth a hell of a lot. I wouldn't trade that for a few better lectures.

Reactions: 5 users
Most courses are fine, but there were a couple of courses we basically had to teach ourselves. Additionally, at least during my time, they added in some non-science courses aimed at learning about disparities and social/behavioral topics, but the actual way the sessions were taught were not helpful, and the ways they tested them were not great. They have made many changes so an M1/M2 can speak better to this, but from some that I've spoken with, there is still progress to be made. That being said, it's all doable, and you are well prepared for 3rd/4th year, and I killed it on boards, as did many classmates, but how much of that is up to personal preparation is still significant, like at most programs.

Loyola does PBL weekly for certain courses like Physiology and Pathology. It's usually 1-2x weekly.

I would go to Loyola again. Being as clinically solid as I am is worth a hell of a lot. I wouldn't trade that for a few better lectures.

Just out of curiosity, could you share with us the average STEP score for your class if you know it? And also, in what ways do you feel that Loyola prepares you to be a competitive applicant for residency? What are some short-comings and how should students prepare to address those on their own?

Application complete late August. Haven’t heard anything, chances of an interview?

Anyone wonder if they are not interviewing through the end of February due to the new AAMC traffic rules? Since they aren't able to see where people are accepted/waitlisted/interviewed at so they're interviewing less people?

Just out of curiosity, could you share with us the average STEP score for your class if you know it?

IIRC, it was mid-high 220s. I don't remember the actual number so I don't want to mislead. Keep in mind that Step 1 is individual-based. You study hard, you are able to maintain performance on a standardized test, then you'll do better. I do not believe my score was the result of my school's prep, but rather my own preparation and knowing how to get started early on. That does not change based on your program. Top 10 programs have higher scores because they admit students with better standardized test scores. It makes sense that those same students are also likely to perform well on Step 1. It should be the least of your concern. Our school doesn't teach to the boards.

And also, in what ways do you feel that Loyola prepares you to be a competitive applicant for residency? What are some short-comings and how should students prepare to address those on their own?

We drill clinical competencies harder than other programs, which means more frequent and more intense OSCEs (clinical exams), a more brutal rotation schedule, more required sub-internships, more frequent simulations (with our sim center mannequins). Good foundation of knowledge in pre-clinical years + strong clinical rotations + lots of opportunities for research and other extra-currics + large hospital with all pathologies and traumas + large VA (lots of autonomy) + easy-to-access clinical faculty = strong residency application and guidance. Plus we have an office dedicated only to the academic success of students (has a lot of resources and guidance.)

Short=comings would be that Stritch will not hold your hand. You will come out an excellent doctor, but you will pay for it with a lot of work. If you are not able to learn to become a self-directed learner in some capacity, it'll be more difficult for you than others. This isn't unique to stritch, but it should be known that you will inevitably have to pave some of your own learning early on. Completely doable with the right mindset, and we have the right resources.

Application complete late August. Haven’t heard anything, chances of an interview?

Basically zero since next week is their last round of interviews. It's an R dude, we just gotta accept it and move on

What do you mean by "meaningful updates"??

IIRC, it was mid-high 220s. I don't remember the actual number so I don't want to mislead. Keep in mind that Step 1 is individual-based. You study hard, you are able to maintain performance on a standardized test, then you'll do better. I do not believe my score was the result of my school's prep, but rather my own preparation and knowing how to get started early on. That does not change based on your program. Top 10 programs have higher scores because they admit students with better standardized test scores. It makes sense that those same students are also likely to perform well on Step 1. It should be the least of your concern. Our school doesn't teach to the boards.

We drill clinical competencies harder than other programs, which means more frequent and more intense OSCEs (clinical exams), a more brutal rotation schedule, more required sub-internships, more frequent simulations (with our sim center mannequins). Good foundation of knowledge in pre-clinical years + strong clinical rotations + lots of opportunities for research and other extra-currics + large hospital with all pathologies and traumas + large VA (lots of autonomy) + easy-to-access clinical faculty = strong residency application and guidance. Plus we have an office dedicated only to the academic success of students (has a lot of resources and guidance.)

Short=comings would be that Stritch will not hold your hand. You will come out an excellent doctor, but you will pay for it with a lot of work. If you are not able to learn to become a self-directed learner in some capacity, it'll be more difficult for you than others. This isn't unique to stritch, but it should be known that you will inevitably have to pave some of your own learning early on. Completely doable with the right mindset, and we have the right resources.

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on what you mean by “no hand holding?” I thought Stritch was known to support student endeavors and provide lots of guidance. Do you just mean like no help unless you ask?

Thanks for the reply! Could you elaborate on what you mean by “no hand holding?” I thought Stritch was known to support student endeavors and provide lots of guidance. Do you just mean like no help unless you ask?

"No hand holding" refers to the fact that for certain courses, you're gonna have to be resourceful in order to learn since sometimes the teaching can be a little wacky/disorganized. This is rare, and I'm not even sure why I mentioned it, because if I had to do it all again, it wouldn't, in any way shape or form, affect my choice to do it all at Loyola again. Plus, I think they've revamped the curriculum quite a bit.

Yes, Loyola is a community and definitely provides support for endeavors as well as guidance.

Placed on "continued consideration", interviewed 12/11. For those accepted off CC, how long did you wait to hear back from CC to acceptance? And did you send updates?

I wonder if they will be calling this week :nailbiting: Ive been on CC since early December :(

I wonder if they will be calling this week :nailbiting: Ive been on CC since early December :(

I've been on CC since mid January and interviewed in Nov. I sent an update right after being put on CC, have you sent any updates?

I also wonder what percentage of those of us on CC will be accepted :shrug:

Reactions: 1 users

Thanks so much for the thought out response! :) Do you have any specific apartments you recommend near the school? Any to totally avoid? Lol

Do you have any specific apartments you recommend near the school? Any to totally avoid? Lol
Great discussion happening here. I would love to know about specific apt recos as well! As for neighborhoods, everyone says to live in Forest Park or Oak Park but I'm thinking about living in La Grange or Brookfield. Any thoughts from current students on those neighborhoods (safety, traffic) etc. I would super appreciate it!

Last edited:
Great discussion happening here. I would love to know about specific apt recos as well! As for neighborhoods, everyone says to live in Forest Park or Oak Park but I'm thinking about living in La Grange or Brookfield. Any thoughts from current students on those neighborhoods (safety, traffic) etc. I would super appreciate it!

I’m not a current student, BUT I do have a list of the surrounding areas and their distances from campus/safety based off internet research. If you’re interested, just PM me! :)

I've been on CC since mid January and interviewed in Nov. I sent an update right after being put on CC, have you sent any updates?

I also wonder what percentage of those of us on CC will be accepted :shrug:
Yup, I have sent a few updates but still no call :( The wait is driving me crazy.

What were your meaningful updates?