2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

Discussion in '2018-2019 Allopathic School Specific Discussions' started by Lucca, Apr 21, 2018.

1. katy-tink

Medical Student (Accepted)

Thanks so much for the thought out response! :) Do you have any specific apartments you recommend near the school? Any to totally avoid? Lol

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. Stellaartwa

2+ Year Member

Great discussion happening here. I would love to know about specific apt recos as well! As for neighborhoods, everyone says to live in Forest Park or Oak Park but I'm thinking about living in La Grange or Brookfield. Any thoughts from current students on those neighborhoods (safety, traffic) etc. I would super appreciate it!

#902 Stellaartwa, Feb 5, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2019
  3. Goatcappy32

Goatcappy32 Spongebob456

Did they email you ?

TaiLopez likes this.
  4. ChickRick16

Nope I just checked my portal

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. ahopeb

Pre-Medical
    I’m not a current student, BUT I do have a list of the surrounding areas and their distances from campus/safety based off internet research. If you’re interested, just PM me! :)

6. chitownbutterfly

Yup, I have sent a few updates but still no call :( The wait is driving me crazy.

7. wssww

Pre-Medical
    What were your meaningful updates?

8. irishRN2doc

5+ Year Member

I sent an update about a promotion at work when I found out about CC. Approximately 3-4 weeks later I sent a LOI. Then I gave up hope. I woke up randomly one day and had a voicemail, returned the call and got the acceptance.

9. GoodWillShunting

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Happy to help!

Only major recommendation is to stay away from Maywood. Forest park & oak park are awesome. Lot of good safe places. At second look they publish a list of available housing, with a large number from M4s who are leaving for residency, and that'll give you good places. Naming specific neighborhoods would be a bit laborious, but stay out of Maywood. People also do live in the city (West Loop, Wicker park, etc.) I don't, but classmates did, and they didn't have any issues. I do recommend having a car. I have classmates who biked/walked, and that's always doable, but if you can afford a car, just get a car. You'll be thankful during the winter, or anytime you aren't tethered to transportation, which can sometimes be a little sketchy given the area.

10. Bountyhuner

Pre-Medical
    Anyone know when the facebook group is supposed to open up?

11. nm0508

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey I was wondering if you would be able to message me the list? Sounds encouraging!

12. Bountyhuner

Pre-Medical
    Mind sharing it here too?

13. Hopefuldoc440

Still silence on this end. Really bummed and looking for advice on what might help me if i reapply next year? LM score 68.9 OOS complete 8/28. My guess is timing or lack of significant patient interaction...

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  14. Kiwi95

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    If it makes you feel any better I have almost the exact same LM score and didn’t receive a single II despite applying to almost 40 schools. I know for me my sGPA is my problem so I’m currently looking at SMP programs

15. whorobbedthewoods

Pre-Medical
    Sorry man. That sucks. I hope you have good news coming. If you want, you could make a post in the main forum with more details about your application. More people will see it, so you're more likely to get advice that way!

16. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

Don't be too tough on yourself! There are so many different possible reasons. I would recommend reaching out to the schools you applied to and seeing if they will provide feedback. I know certain schools are nice enough to provide feedback. Also, I would make sure to apply early. I found Dr. Ryan Gray's resources very helpful for the personal statement, interview, and overall application advice. I am sorry that this application season has been tough, but many students are successful reapplying and get that acceptance! :)

17. medsenior2021

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    YES, THIS!! Very well said, thanks for sharing, applicants need to hear this!
    Remember: you will get to where you’re meant to be. This is YOUR story, YOUR timeline. Don’t compare yourself to your friends and other applicants. Figure out how you can improve, and go for it!!

Goatcappy32, Asian1995 and jmc2502 like this.
  18. fhcdiver23

Interviewing Feb 12th. Looking for hotels to stay at. Any place on the "list of hotels" that people liked most/are staying at?

#918 fhcdiver23, Feb 7, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  19. B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

2+ Year Member

II on Mon, interview sched for 14 Feb (last interview day).

bjk96, svk7, fhcdiver23 and 1 other person like this.
  20. Stellaartwa

2+ Year Member

Congrats!! Holiday Inn Express. They have a free shuttle that picks you up from Ohare and will take you straight to the door at stritch in the morning. The breakfast is good and there will probably be ~5 other applicants staying there so you all arrive at stritch in a little group. Strength in numbers

21. ahopeb

Pre-Medical
    Update on the FB page! Just got an email invite from the M1 president to join the accepted class of 2023 page and another page. :)

katy-tink likes this.
  22. cke11

2+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Is there equal opportunity to be accepted if interviewing during the last week of interviews? I had originally had my interview scheduled for Jan 31 but it was moved to feb 21 due to the polar vortex and due to a conflict I had to schedule it earlier.

23. GoodWillShunting

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I have plenty of classmates who interviewed in the late-very late batch of interviews. The idea is that if you had no chance, they wouldn't interview you. All is fair game.

GABA_S likes this.
  24. Alcove2

+1..As of now, looks like there are about 125 people in the group. Hopefully, that gives some of y'all who are still waiting on a decision an idea of where they are in the process. Their class size is around 165 I believe.

Asian1995 likes this.
  25. rwyse7348334

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    are these people who have committed to Loyola? Or not?

26. GoodWillShunting

2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Generally speaking, it's a combination of those who have committed + those who aren't yet committed. At this point in time, it's basically an "accepted applicants" group.

Asian1995 likes this.
  27. Alcove2

It's just who's been accepted, so I'm assuming it contains a combination of both committed students and those who have not committed.

Asian1995 likes this.
  28. esyabelmd

2+ Year Member

Anyone who has interviewed - how long did it take for your portal to update from the "thank you for scheduling your interview" to "interview completed"? I would like to submit an update, but it has been 3 weeks since my interview and I haven't been able to yet.

29. ahopeb

Pre-Medical
    2-2.5 weeks for me. Just depends how long it takes your interviewers to submit their reviews

esyabelmd likes this.
  30. esyabelmd

2+ Year Member

Thanks!

ahopeb likes this.
  31. Postdoc2MD

Post Doc
    II just now!! With interviews winding down, I'm excited that they are still extending! [In state, was complete in Aug/Sept]

32. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Congrats, that's super lucky!

33. keepyourheadup

2+ Year Member

Ayyy that's clutch. Hoping for a hail-mary II. IS

SR71BLK likes this.
  34. Asian1995

What are available dates ?

35. mercyandgrace

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

I stayed at this hotel as well. ROOMS ARE COLD :bigtears:, and breakfast is okay but don't expect a great meal. The best part is the shuttle transportation to/from the airport and the medical center!! You have to schedule shuttle service with the front desk and make sure you use the Loyola corporate rate for a discount!

#935 mercyandgrace, Feb 8, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2019
  36. Neoneji123

Does anyone know the exact date for second look?

37. TaiLopez

Do they reject post-II or does everyone get placed on CC?

Goatcappy32 likes this.
  38. ahopeb

Pre-Medical
    April 5th

39. whorobbedthewoods

Pre-Medical
    They told us that post-II rejections are extremely rare.

40. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

There is a dinner event Thursday April 4th and then all day April 5th. I am so excited for it! :)

41. katy-tink

The acceptance rate for interviews is high! Because they are really selective with their interviews, its somewhere in like the 6-9% get interviewed. Which is essentially their acceptance rate. Just dont be weird or questionable LOL. Maybe things will change a bit cuz of the change in aamc and their giving out less interviews? But historically speaking, thats what students who were on the admission team in the past told me.

42. Neoneji123

Do you know if they have a student host program for second look or help cover student stays? I know some schools will actually cover your stay.

Thank you btw. I will try and make the dinner depending what time it is, I might be able to leave that same day and make it. If not I will for sure be there Friday.

43. Cardiolover11

2+ Year Member

I do not think there is a student host program for second look. I am planning on spending the night at the holiday inn close by. I want to explore Forest Park/Oak Park a little more to get a feel for where I would possibly live.

44. dreamyrnb

Pre-Medical
    when is the last interview date, does anyone know?

45. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Feb. 14th

dreamyrnb likes this.
  46. Asian1995

That means, they might not send any more II. Because generally II are send one week prior.

dreamyrnb likes this.
  47. mariposas905

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, I've pretty much accepted that this school is a rejection for me at this point :/

SR71BLK likes this.
  48. Alcove2

Is it okay to bring parents to the second look day? Is anyone else doing this? I don't want to be the only one that brings them and have them feel awkward the entire time if they're the only ones above 40 lol

49. ahopeb

Pre-Medical
    I’m taking my parents and my little sister! :)

Cardiolover11 likes this.
  50. B4y 4RE4 N4Tiv3

2+ Year Member

Apparently there are interviews on the last Tuesday and Thursday of this month (Feb). But the last interviews are in Feb.

studentdoctor2040 likes this.