2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What were your meaningful updates?

I sent an update about a promotion at work when I found out about CC. Approximately 3-4 weeks later I sent a LOI. Then I gave up hope. I woke up randomly one day and had a voicemail, returned the call and got the acceptance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks so much for the thought out response! :) Do you have any specific apartments you recommend near the school? Any to totally avoid? Lol

Happy to help!

Only major recommendation is to stay away from Maywood. Forest park & oak park are awesome. Lot of good safe places. At second look they publish a list of available housing, with a large number from M4s who are leaving for residency, and that'll give you good places. Naming specific neighborhoods would be a bit laborious, but stay out of Maywood. People also do live in the city (West Loop, Wicker park, etc.) I don't, but classmates did, and they didn't have any issues. I do recommend having a car. I have classmates who biked/walked, and that's always doable, but if you can afford a car, just get a car. You'll be thankful during the winter, or anytime you aren't tethered to transportation, which can sometimes be a little sketchy given the area.

Reactions: 3 users
Anyone know when the facebook group is supposed to open up?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much! I also did end up emailing admissions asking for a list of programs people matched into and they gave me the deidentified list of everything! Some pretty impressive matches, also noticed that Loyola takes a lot of it's own students for residencies. My interviewer (double boarded physician in CICU/Anesthesiology) mentioned that as well and she said that the residency directors prefer their own students because of well trained they are. Which I found really interesting and encouraging.
Hey I was wondering if you would be able to message me the list? Sounds encouraging!

Still silence on this end. Really bummed and looking for advice on what might help me if i reapply next year? LM score 68.9 OOS complete 8/28. My guess is timing or lack of significant patient interaction...

Reactions: 1 user
Still silence on this end. Really bummed and looking for advice on what might help me if i reapply next year? LM score 68.9 OOS complete 8/28. My guess is timing or lack of significant patient interaction...

If it makes you feel any better I have almost the exact same LM score and didn’t receive a single II despite applying to almost 40 schools. I know for me my sGPA is my problem so I’m currently looking at SMP programs

Reactions: 1 users

Sorry man. That sucks. I hope you have good news coming. If you want, you could make a post in the main forum with more details about your application. More people will see it, so you're more likely to get advice that way!

Reactions: 1 users
Don't be too tough on yourself! There are so many different possible reasons. I would recommend reaching out to the schools you applied to and seeing if they will provide feedback. I know certain schools are nice enough to provide feedback. Also, I would make sure to apply early. I found Dr. Ryan Gray's resources very helpful for the personal statement, interview, and overall application advice. I am sorry that this application season has been tough, but many students are successful reapplying and get that acceptance! :)

Don't be too tough on yourself! There are so many different possible reasons. I would recommend reaching out to the schools you applied to and seeing if they will provide feedback. I know certain schools are nice enough to provide feedback. Also, I would make sure to apply early. I found Dr. Ryan Gray's resources very helpful for the personal statement, interview, and overall application advice. I am sorry that this application season has been tough, but many students are successful reapplying and get that acceptance! :)

YES, THIS!! Very well said, thanks for sharing, applicants need to hear this!
Remember: you will get to where you’re meant to be. This is YOUR story, YOUR timeline. Don’t compare yourself to your friends and other applicants. Figure out how you can improve, and go for it!!

Reactions: 2 users
Interviewing Feb 12th. Looking for hotels to stay at. Any place on the "list of hotels" that people liked most/are staying at?

Last edited:
II on Mon, interview sched for 14 Feb (last interview day).

Interviewing Feb 12th. Looking for hotels to stay at. Any place on the "list of hotels" that people liked most/are staying at?
Congrats!! Holiday Inn Express. They have a free shuttle that picks you up from Ohare and will take you straight to the door at stritch in the morning. The breakfast is good and there will probably be ~5 other applicants staying there so you all arrive at stritch in a little group. Strength in numbers

Members don't see this ad :)
Update on the FB page! Just got an email invite from the M1 president to join the accepted class of 2023 page and another page. :)

Is there equal opportunity to be accepted if interviewing during the last week of interviews? I had originally had my interview scheduled for Jan 31 but it was moved to feb 21 due to the polar vortex and due to a conflict I had to schedule it earlier.

Is there equal opportunity to be accepted if interviewing during the last week of interviews? I had originally had my interview scheduled for Jan 31 but it was moved to feb 21 due to the polar vortex and due to a conflict I had to schedule it earlier.

I have plenty of classmates who interviewed in the late-very late batch of interviews. The idea is that if you had no chance, they wouldn't interview you. All is fair game.

Update on the FB page! Just got an email invite from the M1 president to join the accepted class of 2023 page and another page. :)

+1..As of now, looks like there are about 125 people in the group. Hopefully, that gives some of y'all who are still waiting on a decision an idea of where they are in the process. Their class size is around 165 I believe.

+1..As of now, looks like there are about 125 people in the group. Hopefully, that gives some of y'all who are still waiting on a decision an idea of where they are in the process. Their class size is around 165 I believe.
are these people who have committed to Loyola? Or not?

Generally speaking, it's a combination of those who have committed + those who aren't yet committed. At this point in time, it's basically an "accepted applicants" group.

It's just who's been accepted, so I'm assuming it contains a combination of both committed students and those who have not committed.

Anyone who has interviewed - how long did it take for your portal to update from the "thank you for scheduling your interview" to "interview completed"? I would like to submit an update, but it has been 3 weeks since my interview and I haven't been able to yet.

Anyone who has interviewed - how long did it take for your portal to update from the "thank you for scheduling your interview" to "interview completed"? I would like to submit an update, but it has been 3 weeks since my interview and I haven't been able to yet.

2-2.5 weeks for me. Just depends how long it takes your interviewers to submit their reviews

II just now!! With interviews winding down, I'm excited that they are still extending! [In state, was complete in Aug/Sept]

Reactions: 4 users
resources
Congrats!! Holiday Inn Express. They have a free shuttle that picks you up from Ohare and will take you straight to the door at stritch in the morning. The breakfast is good and there will probably be ~5 other applicants staying there so you all arrive at stritch in a little group. Strength in numbers

I stayed at this hotel as well. ROOMS ARE COLD :bigtears:, and breakfast is okay but don't expect a great meal. The best part is the shuttle transportation to/from the airport and the medical center!! You have to schedule shuttle service with the front desk and make sure you use the Loyola corporate rate for a discount!

Last edited:
Does anyone know the exact date for second look?

Do they reject post-II or does everyone get placed on CC?

Do they reject post-II or does everyone get placed on CC?

The acceptance rate for interviews is high! Because they are really selective with their interviews, its somewhere in like the 6-9% get interviewed. Which is essentially their acceptance rate. Just dont be weird or questionable LOL. Maybe things will change a bit cuz of the change in aamc and their giving out less interviews? But historically speaking, thats what students who were on the admission team in the past told me.

There is a dinner event Thursday April 4th and then all day April 5th. I am so excited for it! :)

Do you know if they have a student host program for second look or help cover student stays? I know some schools will actually cover your stay.

Thank you btw. I will try and make the dinner depending what time it is, I might be able to leave that same day and make it. If not I will for sure be there Friday.

Do you know if they have a student host program for second look or help cover student stays? I know some schools will actually cover your stay.

Thank you btw. I will try and make the dinner depending what time it is, I might be able to leave that same day and make it. If not I will for sure be there Friday.
I do not think there is a student host program for second look. I am planning on spending the night at the holiday inn close by. I want to explore Forest Park/Oak Park a little more to get a feel for where I would possibly live.

That means, they might not send any more II. Because generally II are send one week prior.

Yeah, I've pretty much accepted that this school is a rejection for me at this point :/

Is it okay to bring parents to the second look day? Is anyone else doing this? I don't want to be the only one that brings them and have them feel awkward the entire time if they're the only ones above 40 lol

Is it okay to bring parents to the second look day? Is anyone else doing this? I don't want to be the only one that brings them and have them feel awkward the entire time if they're the only ones above 40 lol

I’m taking my parents and my little sister! :)

Apparently there are interviews on the last Tuesday and Thursday of this month (Feb). But the last interviews are in Feb.

Really? did they add those in recently? When I called, they told me they wouldn't be adding anything so I lost hope. But now...:rolleyes:

Really? did they add those in recently? When I called, they told me they wouldn't be adding anything so I lost hope. But now...:rolleyes:
They were there initially but I think it filled up fast because it gives you more time to plan such as airplane tix, weather, hotels....E.T.C. When I called to move my interview last week to the end of the month they offered me 02/07 but I couldn't make that.

Hang in there people can cancel their interview, all hope is not lost just yet.

Anyone know when scholarships will come out or what percentage of students get them? Looking at past threads it seems like $10,000 is just about the max (avg?) merit scholarship and it won't come out until March or April. Would love some insight. I don't think I can swing this school without the $10,000 merit scholarship and I'm guessing that's not going to happen. It would be SOOO awesome if they would tuition match our other acceptances!

Anyone know when scholarships will come out or what percentage of students get them? Looking at past threads it seems like $10,000 is just about the max (avg?) merit scholarship and it won't come out until March or April. Would love some insight. I don't think I can swing this school without the $10,000 merit scholarship and I'm guessing that's not going to happen. It would be SOOO awesome if they would tuition match our other acceptances!
Same!! I am really in love with this school, and the one thing holding me back is the debt burden aspect. I am crossing my fingers that financial aid/ merit scholarships work out in the spring for us. :)

I'm an M4 at Stritch, I got $0 scholarships M1 (didn't realize I could apply), $11K M2, $19K M3, and $25K M4. I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm an above average student, but not the top of my class. I'm very grateful for the free money. Also, I'd advise against doing any private loans because you can't consolidate them after medical school and you'll have to make higher monthly payments with a low salary during residency. If I could go back, I would have only taken out only federal loans because the repayment options for federal loans are better and more flexible. This will depend partially on your financial situation and how many loans you take out, talking to your school's financial aid department early and in-person is really important and something I wish I had done.

Reactions: 4 users
I'm an M4 at Stritch, I got $0 scholarships M1 (didn't realize I could apply), $11K M2, $19K M3, and $25K M4. I'm not sure if this is normal, I'm an above average student, but not the top of my class. I'm very grateful for the free money. Also, I'd advise against doing any private loans because you can't consolidate them after medical school and you'll have to make higher monthly payments with a low salary during residency. If I could go back, I would have only taken out only federal loans because the repayment options for federal loans are better and more flexible. This will depend partially on your financial situation and how many loans you take out, talking to your school's financial aid department early and in-person is really important and something I wish I had done.

Were the scholarships that you received from M2-M4 merit-based or based on financial aid?

Were the scholarships that you received from M2-M4 merit-based or based on financial aid?

My classmate is saying most are need-based; I had about 80K debt coming in.