2018-2019 Loyola University Chicago Stritch School of Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
UPDATE, just emailed with someone in their office. Apparently some people who received the error message will still be granted a fee waiver - looks like they sent the error message to everyone.

"We will be emailing information to intended recipients with an invitation to apply and information about a supplemental fee waiver this afternoon. If you are selected to receive this email, you will hear from us then with instructions on how to proceed."

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Same here :( I assumed that I was listed in Med-MAR because they're considering SES (I'm white but low-income) - I guess not? My secondary was waived anyway because I received FAP, so I'm not worried about the money, but it felt nice thinking that they considered me competitive...

Exactly. I couldn’t care less about the fee wavier just was excited that they took the time to reach out. They really should make sure this never happens again cause it definitely rubs some the wrong way..

UPDATE, just emailed with someone in their office. Apparently some people who received the error message will still be granted a fee waiver - looks like they sent the error message to everyone.

"We will be emailing information to intended recipients with an invitation to apply and information about a supplemental fee waiver this afternoon. If you are selected to receive this email, you will hear from us then with instructions on how to proceed."
Now I’m going to be bitter if I don’t get this updated email lol ..

Members don't see this ad :)
Now I’m going to be bitter if I don’t get this updated email lol ..

Me too. Did anyone get the updated email. I'm not worried about the fee waiver either as I have FAP, but I fit well with their mission and would like to feel like they consider me competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
Me too. Did anyone get the updated email. I'm not worried about the fee waiver either as I have FAP, but I fit well with their mission and would like to feel like they consider me competitive.

I keep refreshing this page to see if anyone has responded about getting a letter :( I’m sure they’ve sent them out by this point though.

I keep refreshing this page to see if anyone has responded about getting a letter :( I’m sure they’ve sent them out by this point though.
I just got the updated email (apparently it came in at 7:53)

Hi everyone! Rising M2 at Loyola. Feel free to ask any questions!

Hi everyone! Rising M2 at Loyola. Feel free to ask any questions!

How diverse is your class currently? I am a female of color and muslim, but I feel strongly about a lot of the same values the school does. I am very service oriented and am interested in the school. Lol until 2 days ago I felt I was competitive for the school until the retracted the email. But I'm hoping to apply and praying for a holistic review of my application.

How diverse is your class currently? I am a female of color and muslim, but I feel strongly about a lot of the same values the school does. I am very service oriented and am interested in the school. Lol until 2 days ago I felt I was competitive for the school until the retracted the email. But I'm hoping to apply and praying for a holistic review of my application.

Despite what one might assume about a Jesuit Institution, Stritch is very diverse and prides itself on bringing together one of the most diverse classes of all MD schools. Don't quote me on this, but I remember someone from the admissions committee talking about being asked by a big medical org what Stritch's "secret sauce" is for creating such a diverse class. All in all, I truly believe what makes you different makes you more appealing to adcoms.

Now I am not sure what happened with the retracted email, but you will definitely get a holistic review at Stritch (with prayer or without). :)

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it worth to apply if I only have about 250 nonclinical volunteering with kids with illnesses? Ive done other community service but its been with clubs and not exactly consistent. Not sure if theyre looking for people with +++hours of community service volunteering.

I received that email as well so I started to consider it.

Is it worth to apply if I only have about 250 nonclinical volunteering with kids with illnesses? Ive done other community service but its been with clubs and not exactly consistent. Not sure if theyre looking for people with +++hours of community service volunteering.

I received that email as well so I started to consider it.
I think they look for people who have a passion for service but you can show passion without a ton of hours if you have involvement in other stuff like research, advocacy, involvement in lots of hobbies/ECs. And if you bring a unique quality to the school.

Despite what one might assume about a Jesuit Institution, Stritch is very diverse and prides itself on bringing together one of the most diverse classes of all MD schools. Don't quote me on this, but I remember someone from the admissions committee talking about being asked by a big medical org what Stritch's "secret sauce" is for creating such a diverse class. All in all, I truly believe what makes you different makes you more appealing to adcoms.

Now I am not sure what happened with the retracted email, but you will definitely get a holistic review at Stritch (with prayer or without). :)

Thank you!

about secondary, I want to talk about my challenge balancing my different role (extracurriculars) would that be part of academic? I'm not talking about my courses or mcat but just learning to handle my different extracurricular roles...

Did anyone use

4) Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.

To state what you are doing during your gap year?
like I wrote what I did so far, but I have far more i plan on doing. would this be a good place to write my plans or nah ?

Did anyone use

4) Please use this space to bring the information in your AMCAS application up-to-date. Please indicate additional grades earned, alterations in your proposed coursework or graduation date, address changes, additions to your list of activities, and anything else you feel we should know. If you have not been enrolled in coursework, please let us know what you have been doing since coursework ended.

To state what you are doing during your gap year?
like I wrote what I did so far, but I have far more i plan on doing. would this be a good place to write my plans or nah ?
I haven't submitted yet, but I wrote out what I have started and some future plans too.

FYI - I checked my portal today and got the message: "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle."

FYI - I checked my portal today and got the message: "Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle."

Just the front page?

Intereesting, I'm still "under review"
Ah interesting. Yeah, I pre wrote this one so I submitted the day I got it. Pretty bummed. I thought I’d be a fit here. Anyone know if they actually give out rejections or if they keep everyone on hold?

Ah interesting. Yeah, I pre wrote this one so I submitted the day I got it. Pretty bummed. I thought I’d be a fit here. Anyone know if they actually give out rejections or if they keep everyone on hold?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Idk how Loyola does it, but GW puts essentially everyone on-hold and "re-reviews", so it's definitely not something to lose sleep over.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Idk how Loyola does it, but GW puts essentially everyone on-hold and "re-reviews", so it's definitely not something to lose sleep over.
Lol Loyola will keep telling you your file is under review even after the next app cycle starts. They're a silent reject school

Hahah I'm on hold at GW too :rolleyes:

Is there a point for me to submit a secondary for this school if I only have like 150 community service hours?

Is there a point for me to submit a secondary for this school if I only have like 150 community service hours?

Probably not because from what I have heard from students they care a ton about service

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Yo, rising M2 here (Same as Dr.Panda). Feel free to shoot me messages/ask me questions. I'm not on here much but I can try to answer any questions etc. Good luck to everybody

+1

What does this really mean? I know like everyone gets a similar message for GW, but not for loyola...

Last edited:
Yo, rising M2 here (Same as Dr.Panda). Feel free to shoot me messages/ask me questions. I'm not on here much but I can try to answer any questions etc. Good luck to everybody

Are good grades/MCAT enough to offset an average amount of community involvement? I'm wondering if it's even worth it to apply since I have <200 service hours

I submitted my secondary 7/4 and it says I’m still under review

Huh, my status switched from "on hold" to "undergoing review." Maybe good sign?!

has anyone who was marked for re-review not had a change in status back to under review?

Your file has been initially reviewed by the Committee on Admissions. Your file will be held for further review later in the cycle. The review process is continuous from now until the conclusion of our interview season in February. If you wish to update your file, please do so within your portal. Thank you for your interest in Loyola University Chicago-Stritch School of Medicine.

What does this mean? Will I get rejected?

II today. I feel very fortunate.

Can current students let me know what to expect from the day, and interview format?

Thank you kindly!

Reactions: 6 users
II today. I feel very fortunate.

Can current students let me know what to expect from the day, and interview format?

Thank you kindly!
Congrats! When were you complete if you don't mind answering?

Reactions: 1 users
Received II today

They only give you the option of two available interview dates, both are in the same week. Anyone know if we MUST select between these two, or if we can just wait a couple days and see if more options are available?

Received II today

They only give you the option of two available interview dates, both are in the same week. Anyone know if we MUST select between these two, or if we can just wait a couple days and see if more options are available?
congrats! when were you complete??